Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Word "Perhaps"

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I realized recently that the word "perhaps" is a banned word in the W101 chat. I can't even use it in open chat. Why is this?

Thanks,

Qbb

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
I realized recently that the word "perhaps" is a banned word in the W101 chat. I can't even use it in open chat. Why is this?

Thanks,

Qbb

Hi Qbb. It has been for a long time. If you look up "rhaps" in the Urban dictionary there is a meaning that causes that part of the word to be used in a different way. I was curious about this a few months ago when I saw others asking the same thing so I did a search. That part of perhaps should actually show up 'RED' when you try to type it in.

Fallon

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Thanks,

Qbb

Hi Qbb. It has been for a long time. If you look up "rhaps" in the Urban dictionary there is a meaning that causes that part of the word to be used in a different way. I was curious about this a few months ago when I saw others asking the same thing so I did a search. That part of perhaps should actually show up 'RED' when you try to type it in.

Fallon

OMG, when did having a good vocabulary become a liability? Seriously, "rhaps"...What does it say about people when they will go so far to be abusive?

My little linguist's soul is wounded,

Qbb

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Agreed, the loss of proper word usage and linguistic syntax is frustrating even with open chat; it is a shame that such a minority of players misuse colloquialisms and jargon to ruin communication for the majority.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I had recently noted this problem as well. I was unaware of the other aspects that this word has obtained. It constantly amazes me the way people manage to turn perfectly acceptable and useful words into something tainted.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
With what we are seeing in the game in the way of language, I would really like to see KI take steps in regard to repeat offenders rather than blocking perfectly innocent words. But these players are using them in the most horrible way.

PERHAPS, KI would be good enough to take a serious look at HOW certain words are typed in. When the word is split such as " pe rhaps" then it would show in red but as long as typed properly would remain white.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
With what we are seeing in the game in the way of language, I would really like to see KI take steps in regard to repeat offenders rather than blocking perfectly innocent words. But these players are using them in the most horrible way.

PERHAPS, KI would be good enough to take a serious look at HOW certain words are typed in. When the word is split such as " pe rhaps" then it would show in red but as long as typed properly would remain white.

Are we even sure that this is the reason "perhaps" cannot be used? I recall an old thread indicating that all words are automatically banned and have to be added to the "approved" list. KI has to "tell" the system to allow it and I assume, after being notified of the error, this would take awhile (given this wouldn't qualify as an emergency hot fix and would be scheduled sometime after whatever was previously on the maintenance schedule).

Referenced old post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50232.ftl#280330

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Are we even sure that this is the reason "perhaps" cannot be used? I recall an old thread indicating that all words are automatically banned and have to be added to the "approved" list. KI has to "tell" the system to allow it and I assume, after being notified of the error, this would take awhile (given this wouldn't qualify as an emergency hot fix and would be scheduled sometime after whatever was previously on the maintenance schedule).

Referenced old post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50232.ftl#280330

Actually Kingurz, that post is not that old. It is dated June 10,2012. This same topic came up many months ago, and no matter how I word the search for it, I have not been able to find it. HMMMM strange.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
Actually Kingurz, that post is not that old. It is dated June 10,2012. This same topic came up many months ago, and no matter how I word the search for it, I have not been able to find it. HMMMM strange.

True. I'm just wondering if this is really a case of perhaps being banned, because of it's "broken" meaning (that KI can adjust) or if adding the word to the approved list just isn't a priority for KI (or has been forgotten from the last time it came up).

Defender
May 15, 2010
Survivor
Jul 28, 2011
Actually, guys, I though about this post when I was in my castle in the game, and I put perhaps in to the chat box. Came up just fine.