Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 "Play"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
Ok I have been experiencing some lag. This is begging to become a problem. We have tryed to play on both computers. As of right now we can not play due to lag. If you fix this problem that would be great But until then :( .

Your friends, and players
Seth Strongblood
&
Flint Dragonwrath

Administrator
The lag you are experiencing may be caused by many, many different factors. We need to know the specifics of your situation to be able to better assess why you are experiencing this problem.

If you are experiencing lag within game play or it sometimes freezes up, it is important to first check a couple of things that could cause choppy game play:

1) Make sure any un-needed background applications are not running. Having multiple applications running at once can use up bandwidth, and process usage on your computer.

2) Another thing to check on is your internet connection. Slower speeds will result in choppier game play.

3) Verify that your graphics cards are in line with the system requirements.

4) Go to your in game Options Panel by pressing ESC and turn down your graphics and texture details.

If you are still having issues after checking all of these things, please go to the Help & Support tab on the left and scroll to the bottom to contact Mr Lincoln. Use the Contact Us tab to submit a report that details what is happening when you play Wizard101.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I'm also having horrible lag on the game to the point it is unplayable. And yes, we've checked everything you listed.

1) Did that.
2) Cable internet
3) Very much so
4) Graphics are very much turned down.

My husband even bought an extra graphics card and still the game is becoming unplayable. The worst trouble was in selected areas of Mooshu and it now follows to Dragonspyre.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
I have three computers that we use to play Wizard 101.

Computer 1 is wireless, and meets the requirements, but as you say, in certain areas, it becomes very difficult. I think there are lots of things moving, and the game is having to track them all. I find that turning off the task finder arrow (press "t" or turn it off in the game options) helps with this somewhat. Or stopping before I make a turn so that I know I am headed the way I want to go before moving forward.

Computer 2 is also wireless, but has a CPU with dual processors. It is so much smoother (both the wireless computers are in roughly the same place, so I don't think it is a wireless issue that makes the difference). I think a dual processor really helps, for some reason, because this computer has vastly inferior integrated graphics, while Computer 1 has a discrete graphics card.

Computer 3 is a desktop computer directly plugged into the ethernet ports of my router. It has the smoothest play experience of the three, but even so, there is occasional choppiness when something is happening in the background.

Summary:
If you've done all that Gamma suggested above, then from my experience, you should consider the following:

-A wireless connection affects lag.
-A CPU with at least dual processors seems to help a lot.
-Areas with a lot of activity really lead to bad lag on a computer that is already somewhat laggy. I just put up with it if I can stand it, since my kids have priority on the smoother computers.
-Also, related to the above point, it sometimes helps to go to the quietest realm possible. Having lots of other wizards in the same area contributes to the level of activity in that area.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I had a few probs with lag when I was playing.... turned out that it was my Anti-Virus updated itself!!! that could be your problem. could be programs running in the background checking for updates and updating itself. all i know it would lag for me but never really lasted long. if it did I would log off and go back after a few minutes.