Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Transmute Amber Recipe

AuthorMessage
Hero
May 27, 2009
I seriously expected some change to the Amber recipe from Test Realm to Live, based on the feedback I gave and saw. This is extremely disappointing, but it doesn't matter. I will not buy the Transmute.

You have succeeded in forcing Amber to be a Gardening-Only, No Auction, Maximum- Frustration reagent. Why? Because it is used in game kiosks and spells?

Can't see much future for crafting if this is the direction you are going.

Signed,

A Highly Disappointed Legendary Artisan

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
Willowdreamer wrote:
I seriously expected some change to the Amber recipe from Test Realm to Live, based on the feedback I gave and saw. This is extremely disappointing, but it doesn't matter. I will not buy the Transmute.

You have succeeded in forcing Amber to be a Gardening-Only, No Auction, Maximum- Frustration reagent. Why? Because it is used in game kiosks and spells?

Can't see much future for crafting if this is the direction you are going.

Signed,

A Highly Disappointed Legendary Artisan

Well said and my sentiments exactly.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
So crafting is a complete wash, because a regeant that is used in select spells (that were unnecessary before their introduction) and a game kiosk, (like the spells) also have a chance of being rewarded in hoard packs? There are still plenty of items useful for crafting, that aren't considered "nice to have." The crafting of these items are frustrating, but they are still free.

Transmutes have never equated to "easier." They are simply a different route to the same end. Besides, everyone seems to forget that the garden drop rate was increased too. I would think most people would be more concerned about the drop rate, since that is the primary method of obtaining Amber.

There's also a high assumption on some wizard's part that future worlds will not increase the availability of Amber. Wizard101 has a history of making things more available after the "newness" or "Crowns effect" has worn off. Can Amber not be increased through other means, just like Golden Pearls, Scrap Iron and Sunstone were once the most desired, yet hardest to obtain reagents ever????

If the No Auction tag is limiting availability, why direct frustration towards the transmute? KI could easily remove the No Auction tag in the future.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I am not sure what KI is thinking on this move, but we need to have patience. KI is not great when it comes to math, this is quite obvious.

We should all let our voices be heard, but give KI time to fix their errors, because I can't see KI going through all the trouble of making spells, items, and reagents and not wanting us to have them. That is just foolish and I don't think KI is foolish enough to let a lot of their players go, because of this.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
@darthjt

I sincerely hope you are correct that KI will fix this problem because I am on my way out the door with this game. It wasn't just about the amber, that was just the last straw so to speak. If my membership had not just renewed, I might very well have canceled it. If amber is not changed and shows up in future crafting (as in gear or quests), I'm done. I don't make that decision lightly. I love this game, but as an adult, I put my money where my mouth is. No matter how much I like something, I will not support it if I'm not happy with the company or the customer service. And right now I am not!

The sunstone transmute was not easy but it was still something that we could gather reagents for (as in the ones that spawn on the ground!), just needed a lot of them. This transmute is worst than the reagent and honestly to me, it was a slap in the face as a paying customer and a long time player and crafter. KI got a considerable amout of negative feedback on this transmute while it was in the test realm. They KNEW we would be up in arms about it when it hit live. All they could say was they hope we were amused? I don't think that describes my reaction or that of many other players.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Oh, I remember the olden days, when scrap iron was the bane of my wizard's existence. The hours spent looking for ore EVERYWHERE and the combat shopping in the Bazaar...LOL, did you know that ore can cost upward of 200 gold?

Then, black lotus was extremely rare, and I wore out my mounts searching for cat tails and ore to transmute them. The second Master Artisan task made me teary-eyed the first time around. Black pearls, oy...

I remember when pearls and golden pearls were so very rare that I drank pot after pot of coffee as I farmed the Lunarium for hours to gather those precious gems. I was so grateful that it was a dungeon, so I didn't have to worry about other farmers.

Finally, (I'm still in recovery from this one), I found myself desperate for stone blocks to transmute fossils for conga drums. How many hours spent in that corner of the Atheneum, changing realms and fending off other wild-eyed grandmaster artisans...

The thing is, every crafting level quest is challenging the first and second time around. Then, like magic, it becomes easier for subsequent wizards, as we learn to horde those hard-to-find reagents. Remember when scrap iron, black lotus and black pearls suddenly became easily available in WT? I was near Black Annie's hut the other day in Avalon, and there were pearls for the picking. Amber is no different, it will also become more available, probably in the next new world in the game.

Patience is a virtue,

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008
kingurz wrote:
Transmutes have never equated to "easier." They are simply a different route to the same end. Besides, everyone seems to forget that the garden drop rate was increased too. I would think most people would be more concerned about the drop rate, since that is the primary method of obtaining Amber.

Since you are referring to what transmutes have equated to in the past here, I think it obvious to point out that a new rare reagents transmute recipe has NEVER consisted multiple even rarer "new" reagents. They had always consisted of lower level reagents/items.

kingurz wrote:
There's also a high assumption on some wizard's part that future worlds will not increase the availability of Amber. Wizard101 has a history of making things more available after the "newness" or "Crowns effect" has worn off. Can Amber not be increased through other means, just like Golden Pearls, Scrap Iron and Sunstone were once the most desired, yet hardest to obtain reagents ever????

I agree about future availability, however lets keep this in perspective, when Sunstones were introduced, the transmute recipe was made immediately available. It may have consisted of new reagents (sandstone), but we also received the transmute for Sandstone which consisted of lower level reagents already available in volume in the game (Stone Blocks).

kingurz wrote:
If the No Auction tag is limiting availability, why direct frustration towards the transmute? KI could easily remove the No Auction tag in the future.
Because the transmute recipe is ridiculous. Point, Blank, and Period. It requires 5 of two new reagents even rarer than Amber in the first place. A real life comparison... how often do you pay someone $50 for a $5 bill?

Furthermore quite honestly I felt rather insulted between Professors comment on how we'd be amused, and the results. I feel like KI and their staff now feel comfortable with being curt instead of kind with their customers, I already know of some cancelled accounts over this.

To alienate ones clientele is to follow a path to failure.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Hopefully KI will continue to make changes in drop rates of these items if we have patience. Yes, as adults, many of us appreciate a challenge, but this is supposed to be a kids game too. Most kids are not going to have the patience to do the farming for the transmute items and few do that much gardening, especially with rewards so slim. I've yet to see even one amber. True the the spells and items you craft from these reagents are not required but simply fun to have. I just hope KI doesn't wait so long that kids forget about the rewarding aspects of the game that crafting can bring with it's sense of "I accomplished this."

Hero
May 27, 2009
kingurz wrote:

If KI removes the No Auction tag from the Gardening-only reagents, I will jump for joy. I have been saying this from Day One. I don't mind gardening for reagents IF they have a good chance of dropping, but I know there are a lot of players who do NOT like gardening and would prefer to buy their reagents at the Bazaar. And there are also gardeners who do not craft, that would happily sell any Amber rather than just let it sit there.

My frustration with the transmute for Amber is that it breaks all precedents for transmute recipes. It is the first transmute that is actually harder to do than just harvesting the actual reagent.

I am talking about the DIRECTION they are taking. If they are setting the bar this high for future crafting items, then the whole Crafting dynamic changes. It will no longer be a quiet little diversion for a player who doesn't feel like questing or has finished all of the questing content.

The family-friendly-feel of the game changes with this increase of difficulty, and it is NOT necessary.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
Lifting the no auction tag on Amber and the transmute reagents would certainly help. Here is where I find myself, I'm spending all my game time farming bosses (not easy ones either) for a CHANCE to get white tiger lilies (how about upping that drop rate? 25 battles = 1 tiger lily is not good odds), who in turn will have a CHANCE to drop Amber. Those same white tiger lilies DO NOT drop their seeds, so I have to go back and do it all over again. And all for a plant I do not like to garden in the first place. That is simply not fun to me, it's not relaxing which is one of the reasons I got into crafting to begin with. Even farming for all those stone blocks, to make sandstone, to make sunstone was a relaxing pass time for me.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks Zep you said it for me.

This Transmute has let me floored. In the past Transmutes difficulty came from the NUMBER of COMMON reagents one had to gather. This one goes over the top. Now has to "farm" difficult time consuming places to uber rare reagents for a Transmute. The drop rates I am seeing are low.

Removing the No Auction tag would be a step in the right direction.

I see Amber appearing in future items we need. I don't see KI just using it for 3 spells and a Game. That is what bugs me the most. Now we are being forced to farm for the Transmute or garden for the actual reagent.

I agree patience is a virtue. But, What happened to doing right the first time?

I also remind adults to think of the kids. Kids are rare in CL, more so in ZF and epically rare in AV. They are being left behind in a game rated E10+. Adults are too.

The thing that upsets me the most is the total lack of response to overwhelming negative feedback and ideas for a Transmute much more in line with is already in game. The silence is deafening and speaks loudly to me. Some acknowledgement of our concerns would be nice.

Megan

Defender
May 29, 2011
Willowdreamer wrote:
kingurz wrote:

If KI removes the No Auction tag from the Gardening-only reagents, I will jump for joy. I have been saying this from Day One. I don't mind gardening for reagents IF they have a good chance of dropping, but I know there are a lot of players who do NOT like gardening and would prefer to buy their reagents at the Bazaar. And there are also gardeners who do not craft, that would happily sell any Amber rather than just let it sit there.

My frustration with the transmute for Amber is that it breaks all precedents for transmute recipes. It is the first transmute that is actually harder to do than just harvesting the actual reagent.

I am talking about the DIRECTION they are taking. If they are setting the bar this high for future crafting items, then the whole Crafting dynamic changes. It will no longer be a quiet little diversion for a player who doesn't feel like questing or has finished all of the questing content.

The family-friendly-feel of the game changes with this increase of difficulty, and it is NOT necessary.

These aren't items, they're spells. I think there only taking this direction on SPELLS. I dont think amber will be required in future crafting quests. These are actual spells here, not items.

As for the tag game, I find it easier to just buy it. If you wanna craft it though, its not gonna be easy.

Crafting is an option. Half my friends arent even past grandmaster crafter.
As the game advances, crafting is going to get harder like everything else. I'm still going to craft that ninja pig spell, and i'm actually thankful for the transmute. No more farming for WTL's.

So really, I think amber will only be in the popular stuff like spells and tag games. I doubt it will be in most of the popular gear.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I have to stand with those who are perturbed by the transmute recipe for Amber.

I know that earlier I alluded to how those rare reagents will appear in new worlds, but it hardly seems fair to put the ingredients for enticing spell and item recipes so tantalizingly and agonizingly out of reach. ESPECIALLY if the target audience for crafting is E10+. Meh, my 11 year old is not going to spend the time to gather these items. He would rather go to Minecraft and more readily craft items. My 7 year old is stumped at the MB crafting level quest. He will likely never go farther with his crafting.

Although I do agree that the recipes should be challenging, I don not agree that they should be so very aspirational.

I've mentioned this before, about requiring gardening yield items for crafting recipes. I didn't like it when WT items required items dropped from White Laugh o' dils, and this is even more taxing a set of requirements.

KI, please listen to the many wizards who have requested a revision of the reagents required to transmute Amber, and please desist requiring gardening as a pre-requisite for higher level crafting recipes.

I'm not going anywhere near spell recipes until there is a different means of gathering the necessary ingredients.

Regards,

Qbb/Iridian/Moira

Survivor
Mar 19, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Oh, I remember the olden days, when scrap iron was the bane of my wizard's existence. The hours spent looking for ore EVERYWHERE and the combat shopping in the Bazaar...LOL, did you know that ore can cost upward of 200 gold?

Then, black lotus was extremely rare, and I wore out my mounts searching for cat tails and ore to transmute them. The second Master Artisan task made me teary-eyed the first time around. Black pearls, oy...

I remember when pearls and golden pearls were so very rare that I drank pot after pot of coffee as I farmed the Lunarium for hours to gather those precious gems. I was so grateful that it was a dungeon, so I didn't have to worry about other farmers.

Finally, (I'm still in recovery from this one), I found myself desperate for stone blocks to transmute fossils for conga drums. How many hours spent in that corner of the Atheneum, changing realms and fending off other wild-eyed grandmaster artisans...

The thing is, every crafting level quest is challenging the first and second time around. Then, like magic, it becomes easier for subsequent wizards, as we learn to horde those hard-to-find reagents. Remember when scrap iron, black lotus and black pearls suddenly became easily available in WT? I was near Black Annie's hut the other day in Avalon, and there were pearls for the picking. Amber is no different, it will also become more available, probably in the next new world in the game.

Patience is a virtue,
Well said queenlybluebean

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
My question is why does everyone assume 10 year old kids are incapable of completing this crafting requirement? Some 10 year olds have the capacity and knowledge to complete this quest. I won't deny that this requirement currently takes longer than any of the previous requirements, but I don't see how it is more difficult. Sure, the attention span may not last as long with kids, but the difficulty is not harder (but just like the WatchTower crafting, with patience comes great rewards). Legendary crafters, by default have to have reached Zafaria anyways, so if kids gave up at Celestia, they aren't doing this quest anyways. And if they can complete the difficulities of Celestia, they certianly have the "know how" to understand the requirements of this quest.

I'm not saying the requirements shouldn't change on this crafting objective, but I think using E10+ kids is a bad example. I also personally think its not good to deter kids from completing something that is difficult and force the requirements to be easier instead. That sends a strong message that the world should change for the individual's needs. Completing the requirements under austere conditions as these should be rewarding (just like how everyone complained about how difficult the Waterworks gear was to get and completely different from previous drop requirements). Until the requirements are changed, kids should be encouraged to step up to the challenge, not quit in disgust.

The game is rated E for everyone, but that doesn't mean the difficulty is tailored so that it is guarenteed that every 10 year old can complete everything in the game. It is a family game, not a kids game. There should be content available for both kids and adults (or even kids that are good enough to complete adult content), since KI probably knows a good portion of the population is adults too and must keep them engaged as well.

To me, the Scavanger Hunt game is the most prized housing item available. Shouldn't the crafting difficulty requirements mirror the difficulty requirements on the gear side (Waterworks), since it could take months to obtain that too? Debateable on if it is too difficult, but it should not be as easy as any crafting requirement currently available (including Spirit Drums).

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
My question is why does everyone assume 10 year old kids are incapable of completing this crafting requirement? Some 10 year olds have the capacity and knowledge to complete this quest. I won't deny that this requirement currently takes longer than any of the previous requirements, but I don't see how it is more difficult.

Sorry King, lol, but you asked for this!

You don't see how this task is more difficult? Okay, lets do the math, shall we? Many people here, have stated, that out of around 10 runs through some of the Hardest dungeons in the game, that they have received, 2 Merle Ambrose Beard Strands (Whiskers) & 1 Amber Dust. Out of 10 Runs?

It takes 5 Whiskers and 5 Dust with other reagents mind you, to make just 1 Amber! Now, Since that is only 2 whiskers and 1 Dust, times that by 5 for 1 Amber, that is approximately 50 runs for 1 amber. Then multiply that by 12, since it takes 12 Amber to craft either 1 spell or 1 item. 600 Runs through the hardest dungeons? And this is not difficult?

Sure, the attention span my not last as long with kids, but the difficulty is not harder (but just like the WatchTower crafting, with patience comes great rewards). Legendary crafters, by default have to have reached Zafaria anyways, so if kids gave up at Celestia, they aren't doing this quest anyways. And if they can complete the difficulities of Celestia, they certianly have the "know how" to understand the requirements of this quest.

It is so much easier to craft any House than it is to make this Amber, the comparison is like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to a 7 course meal. I personally, can probably make about 10 Houses before I could craft or transmute 1 of these Items, and I am a constant player.

I'm not saying the requirements shouldn't change on this quest, but I think using E10+ kids is a bad example. I also personally think its not good deter kids to not try to complete something that is difficult and force the requirements to be easier instead. That sends a strong message that the world should change for the individual's needs. Completing the requirements under austere conditions as these should be rewarding (just like how everyone complained about how difficult the Waterworks gear was to get and completely different from previous drop requirements). Until the requirements are changed, kids should be encouraged to step up to the challenge, not quit in disgust.

I believe in a practical approach to things King. This is by far, from practical or realistic. I am giving KI the benefit of the doubt, because I am sure KI is working on that level 80 Dungeon as we speak, with the new gear and a dungeon that will Drop 2 Whiskers and 2 Dust. I just hope that KI does not let me and the rest of the community down.

The game is rated E for everyone, but that doesn't mean the difficulty is tailored so that it is guarenteed that every 10 year can complete everything in the game. It is a family game, not a kids game. There should be content available for both kids and adults (or even kids that are good enough to complete adult content), since KI probably knows a good portion of the population is adults too and must keep them engaged as well.

To me, the Scavanger Hunt game is the most prized housing item available. Shouldn't the difficulty requirements mirror the difficulty requirements on the gear side (Waterworks), since it could take months to obtain that too?

Then make the crafting recipe different from that Item and spells. This is not rocket science King, is it? After all, the Game can be bought for only 2500 crowns, where can we get these spells other than crafting them? Are they drops? No! Can we go to our teacher and train them? No! Can we buy them? No!

Not that I see any of the spells great, except the death spell. Which, I have a death on each account, to whom, I had to take to Legendary Artisan, which I did. Then, I took my level 44 death, who had not even started crafting, all the way up to GrandMaster Artisan, but had to stop there, because he can't get the quest in Zafaria to become a Legendary Artisan. Although, he has all 4 congo drums crafted now and ready. So, I have 3 Legendary Artisans on each account, I have crafted houses, items, but I have never ever seen the difficulty or lack of math, when it comes to a recipe as it does with this transmute amber.

Just the facts

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
@kingurz (Not quoting because I dont want to take up half the page)
Thank you! Everyone keeps saying that because their 10 year old child, 7 year old child, etc, isnt capable of the mind development for this, that the standards should be lowered. I am not going to say my age, but I can tell you I am not an adult yet, (But I am older than 10!) and I am capable of it, without much effort. Everyone is able to rise to the challenge, even the young ones, heck, they have more free time on their hands than all of us I bet!

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Well to be honest I dont mind the new recipe too much, I have heard people are actually getting some amber this way, I myself have 2 amber dust from only 3 runs in mirror lake, (Hint: The Starburst Spiders drop Merle Whiskers and Amber Dust, so you can save time plus the golden pearls you get can be used on the transmute and save money for sunstone/sandstone). Because of the location of these drops I also have an alternate reason to actually do the dungeon :D and of course the alternate reason is pixie stix and a sidhe staff I hope will drop for me. I've also heard good news that people are actually getting amber from gardening a friend of mine had 2 already and had 1 merle whisker and 5 amber dust. For a whole new spell I say its worth it ( well at least the deer knight is, the rest is up to you).

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
i agree the transmute if the first of its kind to be harder to do than actually farming the actual amber itself. while i understand its a permament spell that should be very hard to get it seems a bit over the edge. what im now worried about is these new regents beard hair and amber dust. now that these epicly rare regents have been introduced to the game i fear that the next worlds crafable gear will include large amounts of these things including amber( i am really hoping it doesnt i still have ww gear on). not only that but now these regents are at there will and they can put it in anything they want and call it fair. to me it seems this new update may have hurt both sides. a lot of people are mad at ki for not fixing the problem. and heres how it hurts us the paying players. we praticly forced ki to make a change and that change introduced 2 new regents that will almost be 100% in future crafting thus making the spirit caller drum looking like it was a peice of cake witch it wasnt . so it may or may not backfire on us but one thing i know one thing for sure though. these new regents sure backfired on ki

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
You don't see how this task is more difficult? Okay, lets do the math, shall we? Many people here, have stated, that out of around 10 runs through some of the Hardest dungeons in the game, that they have received, 2 Merle Ambrose Beard Strands (Whiskers) & 1 Amber Dust. Out of 10 Runs?

It takes 5 Whiskers and 5 Dust with other reagents mind you, to make just 1 Amber! Now, Since that is only 2 whiskers and 1 Dust, times that by 5 for 1 Amber, that is approximately 50 runs for 1 amber. Then multiply that by 12, since it takes 12 Amber to craft either 1 spell or 1 item. 600 Runs through the hardest dungeons? And this is not difficult?

I'm sorry but I just don't see that as difficult. Yes, it takes a lot longer than any other reagents to acquire (because you can't realm hop or buy at the bazaar), but it isn't harder to obtain. There are several bosses that aren't that difficult to beat, but takes many, many defeats to acquire the necessary amount. Same thing with the gardening, takes many many more harvests than other plant to acquire. I don't disagree with the drop rates being extremely sparse, but it isn't difficult to obtain. Anyone at Legendary can get the regeants, but most really don't want to spend that amount of time, to farm or garden.

darthjt wrote:
It is so much easier to craft any House than it is to make this Amber, the comparison is like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to a 7 course meal. I personally, can probably make about 10 Houses before I could craft or transmute 1 of these Items, and I am a constant player.

Do you really want me to provide links to all the Watchtower posts/threads complaining about how difficult the requirements are? Sure, in 2012 it seems crazy easy, but when it was brand new (like the spells and Scavenger game), numerous players complained. It even took Stephen SpiritCaller (Ravenwood Radio) months to achieve that milestone. I suspect others had similar challenges. I have to assume Amber will be more prevalent in the coming months (not more restrictive).

darthjt wrote:
I believe in a practical approach to things King. This is by far, from practical or realistic. I am giving KI the benefit of the doubt, because I am sure KI is working on that level 80 Dungeon as we speak, with the new gear and a dungeon that will Drop 2 Whiskers and 2 Dust. I just hope that KI does not let me and the rest of the community down.

Agreed. If Amber isn't increased in some capacity in the next few months, then I believe there is more justification in calling KI out. I personally believe it is way too soon to be quitting crafting over this issue. Remember, even though the transmute takes a crazy long time, it did increase the chances of obtaining Amber (just as players requested). Just think, if KI removes the transmute, you have even less chances of obtaining Amber. I believe the intention is to garden and collect transmute drops in conjunction with each other, while keeping the reward rates low (so not every wizard can obtain freely, without putting significant time into it).

darthjt wrote:
After all, the Game can be bought for only 2500 crowns, where can we get these spells other than crafting them? Are they drops? No! Can we go to our teacher and train them? No! Can we buy them? No!......Not that I see any of the spells great, except the death spell.

The are numerous housing items that can't be bought, dropped, or trained either. Because these are spells, they should be treated differently (and yes, it takes longer than those examples to craft, but again, these are pretty special rewards)? Besides, the treasure versions are dropping quite often in Avalon, and I personally don't find most of the spells necessary to cast in every single duel. I would be interested in others thoughts on why these spells are so vital to replace with current spells.

darthjt wrote:
So, I have 3 Legendary Artisans on each account, I have crafted houses, items, but I have never ever seen the difficulty or lack of math, when it comes to a recipe as it does with this transmute amber.

Just the facts

After many years, I've heard the same complaint regarding the difficulty on obtaining Waterworks gear, mega snacks in Wateworks, the learning curve in Celestia, Housing crafting, etc. Every once in awhile, KI ups the ante regarding the "norm." Very few players ever overwhelmingly rejoice at the changes.

Besides, when assessing difficulty, "facts" simply do not factor into the equation. Difficulty is perceived differently for each player, as evidence by the below post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30084.ftl#165598

EDIT: spelling, grammar and continuity.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gweedoboy wrote:
now that these epicly rare regents have been introduced to the game i fear that the next worlds crafable gear will include large amounts of these things including amber( i am really hoping it doesnt i still have ww gear on).

I agree. If new crafting requirements require the same reagents and the reagents are not increased, then the current complaints are only the tip of the iceberg (but I'm banking on the Zafaria effect, where rares are acquired more easily in future expansions).

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I'm sorry but I just don't see that as difficult. Yes, it takes a lot longer than any other reagents to acquire (because you can't realm hop or buy at the bazaar), but it isn't harder to obtain. There are several bosses that aren't that difficult to beat, but takes many, many defeats to acquire the necessary amount. Same thing with the gardening, takes many many more harvests than other plant to acquire. I don't disagree with the drop rates being extremely sparse, but it isn't difficult to obtain. Anyone at Legendary can get the regeants, but most really don't want to spend that amount of time, to farm or garden.

You know, I help people all the time with Waterworks, I farm Mirror Lake, I am questing and finishing Avalon. Do you know how many of these reagents I have? 2 Merle Ambrose Whiskers. That's it. No more.

How many Amber have you transmuted King? I bet nobody in this game has been able to transmute even 1 amber yet. Spare me a lecture if you don't have facts to back up your statements.

darthjt wrote:

Do you really want me to provide links to all the Watchtower posts/threads complaining about how difficult the requirements are? Sure, in 2012 it seems crazy easy, but when it was brand new (like the spells and Scavenger game), numerous players complained. It even took Stephen SpiritCaller (Ravenwood Radio) months to achieve that milestone. I suspect others had similar challenges. I have to assume Amber will be more prevalent in the coming months (not more restrictive).

Oh I know about all the complaints about how difficult it is to craft houses, I agree it is very difficult, and the transmute recipe for Amber is 10 times more difficult. How is simple math so difficult to understand?

I hope it will, because I know and I am one of them, that is losing my patience with KI and their silly little game of what can we do to make wizards suffer and complain.

darthjt wrote:

Agreed. If Amber isn't increased in some capacity in the next few months, then I believe there is more justification in calling KI out. I personally believe it is way too soon to be quitting crafting over this issue. Remember, even though the transmute takes a crazy long time, it did increase the chances of obtaining Amber (just as players requested). Just think, if KI removes the transmute, you have even less chances of obtaining Amber. I believe the intention is to garden and collect transmute drops in conjunction with each other, while keeping the reward rates low (so not every wizard can obtain freely, without putting significant time into it).

I can agree with a significant time requirement King, but as it currently stands, it is impossible to Transmute Amber and even more than impossible to transmute enough amber to ever craft anything. KI is not being real or idealistic about their approach. I am not ready to quit the game over this, but I am becoming frustrated with their lack of common sense.

darthjt wrote:
After all, the Game can be bought for only 2500 crowns, where can we get these spells other than crafting them? Are they drops? No! Can we go to our teacher and train them? No! Can we buy them? No!......Not that I see any of the spells great, except the death spell.

The are numerous housing items that can't be bought, dropped, or trained either. Because these are spells, they should be treated differently (and yes, it takes longer than those examples to craft, but again, these are pretty special rewards)? Besides, the treasure versions are dropping quite often in Avalon, and I personally don't find most of the spells necessary to cast in every single duel. I would be interested in others thoughts on why these spells are so vital to replace with current spells.

So King, answer this then, why is it, the Myth Spell, Life Spell, and Balance spell are drops in the game? Why were they also drops in a Hoard Pack? Are the new spells for Death, Storm, & Ice also dropped? Are they also in Hoard Packs? No they are not. The only way to get these new spells is to craft them. What makes these spells so different than the other spells, why do some schools get treated differently?

darthjt wrote:
So, I have 3 Legendary Artisans on each account, I have crafted houses, items, but I have never ever seen the difficulty or lack of math, when it comes to a recipe as it does with this transmute amber.

Just the facts

After many years, I've heard the same complaint regarding the difficulty on obtaining Waterworks gear, mega snacks in Wateworks, the learning curve in Celestia, Housing crafting, etc. Every once in awhile, KI ups the ante regarding the "norm." Very few players ever overwhelmingly rejoice at the changes.

Besides, when assessing difficulty, "facts" simply do not factor into the equation.

My facts state the obvious King, which you are failing to realize. The amount of times it would possibly take to get enough reagents to possibly transmute a single piece of amber and then how many more possible chances it would take to possibly have enough amber to craft an item or spell. This has nothing to do with how good a player is, there is no difficutly in chance or luck. The difficulty is in the requirements for the tranmutation and the low drop rate. Not to mention that the plants that do drop Amber are not readily available either.

No, their drop rate was lowered on bosses, while the drop rate was raised on the actual plant. So, while you may possibly get Amber more from this plant, good luck getting the seed. Once again, making it a very frustrating circle. KI raises peoples hopes just to pull the rug out from under us on this one. That is not good business and a severe lack of common sense.
Difficulty is perceived differently for each player, as evidence by the below post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30084.ftl#165598

EDIT: spelling, grammar and continuity.

I agree, all wizards find difficulty differently. What I find easy, you might have a very hard time completing, such as the easy math it takes to figure out how long and how many tries it would take to transmute even 1 piece of Amber. Yes, I can see how some may see the math on this difficult while it is clearly easy for others.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008
Those saying this isnt that hard, obviously have no intention of doing it. I seriously doubt any of them could say with a straight face that any of the objects to be crafted here are worth the amount of effort that KI has dictated here.

I dont mind challenges, but to completely change the challenge curve like KI has in this regard is ridiculous.

6 runs through Mirror Lake, and NO Whiskers, NO Amber dust. So at this rate, I will be farming forever for NOTHING, why keep trying when the result we seek is futile.

The ends should justify the means, and they do not with this transmure recipe. At least with those prior challenges many eluded to, we received a badge to display as a reward, we dont even get that in this case.

They should give us an AMBER TRANSMUTER! badge for transmuting a single amber. As it is, this would be even more significant than Warlord status in PVP.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Yea I probably will never transmute amber I am going to garden it. So far I have for amber from gardening king parsley the drop rate isn't bad either. I recommend you all garden it since transmuting it won't happen.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
How many Amber have you transmuted King? I bet nobody in this game has been able to transmute even 1 amber yet.

I have transmuted 3 Amber over the course of many dungeon runs with several different wizards. I've never stated it didn't take forever to do, only that it wasn't difficult to actually accomplish. Maybe I've been a little more lucky with drops too.

darthjt wrote:
Oh I know about all the complaints about how difficult it is to craft houses, I agree it is very difficult, and the transmute recipe for Amber is 10 times more difficult. How is simple math so difficult to understand?

What simple math are you referring to, your example of 600 runs? First, that example doesn't take into account any Amber acquired from gardening, thus limiting the total number of dungeon runs. Second, true probability analysis is not simple math (when done correctly and without the sweeping generics that your example cites). Finally, the housing example I referred to was not a direct comparison, only an example of reactions upon release of requirements. The point is, anything new that is added is going to be more difficult or require more time to acquire than previous versions (just like gear crafting) and is not going to be well received by the community. The difficulty in acquiring Amber reagents is appropriate to any Legendary wizard (Briskbreeze, Mirror Lake, etc since Legendary artisan is required), my point is the time sink required is still not appropriate (extremely low drop rate). But it certainly isn't impossible and we should continue to strive at that daunting task until it becomes appropriate. KI is not quick on fixes (the transmute was introduced not that long ago), so if the fix comes quicker than you craft your spell, well then you end up with a bunch of Amber for the next objective.

darthjt wrote:
So King, answer this then, why is it, the Myth Spell, Life Spell, and Balance spell are drops in the game? Why were they also drops in a Hoard Pack? Are the new spells for Death, Storm, & Ice also dropped? Are they also in Hoard Packs? No they are not. The only way to get these new spells is to craft them. What makes these spells so different than the other spells, why do some schools get treated differently?

Darthjt, have you already forgotten that the Myth, Life, and Balance spells were first only available from hoard packs? Only to be introduced as drops later on. Can the same situation not happen here with these spells? This was the very point of my initial post, when I asked how come the demand for plant drop harvest increase or no auction label removal wasn't as strong as all the demands for changes to the transmute spell. To me, focusing on the transmute is narrow. Other options in getting the end result is just as important, not just crafting. However, the more we get divided over the transmute requirements, we fail to ask for other things like:

1.) Removing no auction tag from Amber

2.) Increasing Amber harvest from plant drops (or more plants that can harvest amber).

3.) Adding Amber as a "ground harvest" (like mist wood) in current or future worlds.

4.) Allow the new spells to be dropped from bosses (likely Avalon bosses given the theme from the Myth, Balance, and Life spells).

5.) Purchase in the Crowns shop.

Crafting has always been a free alternative to many items, but it isn't always a quick turnaround (just look at getting to legendary artisan itself). I do believe the Amber reagent problem will be addressed in the future, but at KI's discretion (like it has done before).

darthjt wrote:
My facts state the obvious King, which you are failing to realize. The amount of times it would possibly take to get enough reagents to possibly transmute a single piece of amber and then how many more possible chances it would take to possibly have enough amber to craft an item or spell. This has nothing to do with how good a player is, there is no difficutly in chance or luck. The difficulty is in the requirements for the tranmutation and the low drop rate. Not to mention that the plants that do drop Amber are not readily available either.

What I'm I failing to realize? You have restated everything I've already posted in this very thread. The difference is you consider this difficult, I consider it time consuming.

kingurz wrote:

The amount of time I am referring to is your "fact" of requiring 600 dungeon runs. Where do I state that anyone not willing to spend this amount of time is less of a player? I am one of those that doesn't want to spend that amount of time, but I am not quitting Wizard101 or crafting in protest. I am simply making some gains here and there to chip away at my 600 dungeon run total until something is changed.

darthjt wrote:
No, their drop rate was lowered on bosses, while the drop rate was raised on the actual plant. So, while you may possibly get Amber more from this plant, good luck getting the seed. Once again, making it a very frustrating circle.

When did the drop rate lower on the bosses? I'm pretty sure the drop rate has been low ever since wiskers and dust were introduced. Additionally, there are five plants that can harvest Amber, with White Tiger Lillies being the most often. Most of these seeds drop off the same bosses being farmed for wiskers and dust! Luck plays a part in this (like everything else in this game), but it isn't impossible to get a seed, since those seem to drop more often than the reagents. You can even buy two of the plants directly out of the Crowns shop if you don't want to wait.

darthjt wrote:
I agree, all wizards find difficulty differently. What I find easy, you might have a very hard time completing, such as the easy math it takes to figure out how long and how many tries it would take to transmute even 1 piece of Amber. Yes, I can see how some may see the math on this difficult while it is clearly easy for others.

Are you running for Ravenwood class president again? Since political tactics call for attacking the individual, not the issue. Your repeated uses of "simple math," "difficult" and "facts" all look very similar to what I've been referring to as "time consuming." I'm sorry, but you can't convince me that the transmute is difficult because you have to run a dungeon 600 times. Running a dungeon 600 times to craft one item is what I call time consuming. Worthy of merit if accomplished, but like I've indicated several times in this thread, this isn't the final answer or long term solution regarding Amber and associated reagents (even if I find nothing wrong the transmute recipe itself, but rather the freqency of reagents).