Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Not Fair!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
It's not fair! Life creatures and bosses always cast death shields and ruin our spells.

When they got the chance to go first,they always cast a death shield BEFORE I was about to cast my death spell.

I never saw a Death creature or boss that cast a Life shield before,then how come Life do?

Marissa Deathbringer, Master Necromancer,Level 49

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
MerlAmbroseII wrote:
It's not fair! Life creatures and bosses always cast death shields and ruin our spells.

When they got the chance to go first,they always cast a death shield BEFORE I was about to cast my death spell.

I never saw a Death creature or boss that cast a Life shield before,then how come Life do?

It's not just Life~ all school bosses, with the exception of Death, (which doesn't shield at all), and Balance (who spam -50% shields to no end) have -80% shields to the opposite school. This presents a problem for both Life and Death wizards.

For Val (my necro), I started packing Shatter treasure cards in his deck. They're pip-guzzlers (since I don't have mastery amulets), so I limit them to the round before he attacks.

For Tavia (my theurgist), this presented another problem. When facing same-school bosses, the spamming of death-shields made her converts useless. I think I might invest in an off-school wand for her, so it doesn't mess up her other buffs.

Hope this helps, sorta.

-El Veeb/Val/Tavia
legendary necromancer, magus theurgist

Defender
May 19, 2012
I noticed that all storm bosses cast -80% to all myth spells too, so I've given up on using prisms, because my storm spells do more damage to them than converting does, and it saves me a round for having to cast prisms. What's the point of prisms if they are just going to shield against that school anyways. It just leaves more room in my deck for my damage spells. I think prisms would actually be more effective against myth bosses who cast -80% to storm spells. :P

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
MerlAmbroseII wrote:

All bosses BUT Death use shields. Getting around them can be challenging, but you have the tools to do it. Use a wand. And keep the Poison card in your deck always for Life bosses/mobs. You may lose the first hit, but it's weak anyway.

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
MerlAmbroseII wrote:

It's not just Life~ all school bosses, with the exception of Death, (which doesn't shield at all), and Balance (who spam -50% shields to no end) have -80% shields to the opposite school. This presents a problem for both Life and Death wizards.

For Val (my necro), I started packing Shatter treasure cards in his deck. They're pip-guzzlers (since I don't have mastery amulets), so I limit them to the round before he attacks.

For Tavia (my theurgist), this presented another problem. When facing same-school bosses, the spamming of death-shields made her converts useless. I think I might invest in an off-school wand for her, so it doesn't mess up her other buffs.

Hope this helps, sorta.

-El Veeb/Val/Tavia
legendary necromancer, magus theurgist
Hey Val, if you cast the prism before they cast the shield, the shield won't take action. Only if you cast the prism AFTER the shield, the shield will take action. Prisms can be confusing. Let's say you have these things on you and the enemy right now:

Dragonblade
Fireblade
Elemental Blade
Fire Trap
Fire Prism
Ice Trap
Feint

and then you use Efreet. All the blades will take action, but then the prism will come in. Now, the attack is an ICE move. the fire trap will not take action, since it's a ice spell now, but the ice trap will take action. The feint will take action anyway, because it's for anything. Hope this helped!

Wolf SilverSpear ~ Level 45 Pyromancer
Luke StormWraith ~ Level 21 Theurgist
Christopher ThunderFountain ~ Level 10 Thaumaturge

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
fiziali wrote:
I noticed that all storm bosses cast -80% to all myth spells too, so I've given up on using prisms, because my storm spells do more damage to them than converting does, and it saves me a round for having to cast prisms. What's the point of prisms if they are just going to shield against that school anyways. It just leaves more room in my deck for my damage spells. I think prisms would actually be more effective against myth bosses who cast -80% to storm spells. :P

Most of my wizards carry 2 wands. Your best bet is to get your prism up before they have a chance to set their shields. But if you can't do that, having a wand(myth for storm and storm for myth) that will break those shields is your next best move. Using a Pierce TC if no wand or prism works just a s well. After that, Shatter would be next although as Vonawesome1 has already stated, that spell does use a lotof your pips.

There are ways around most of these. You just have to find what works best for you.

@MerleAmbroseII, carry a death wand just for this reason or a very low pip spell that will knock out the shield. If you are going to use the low pip spell, make sure you have not set up any of your life buffs.

Life creatures just like our life wizards are the healers so they are going to sheild from death.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Fire enemies cast Ice Shields. Storm enemies cast Myth Shields. It happens to all schools and is intended to create a challenge.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
MerlAmbroseII wrote:

I used to be upset over this, as I like to calculate the amount of buff needed to one shot the opponent. Then out comes a death (or tower) shield right before I attack.
Just carry and toss the poison spell. It has become one of my favorite spells now.
I would avoid trying to carry a wand that has a death bonk, as it will trip all your blades, making it worse in the long run (my wife has a death wand).
Try to save up your pips before tossing Crow (you're level 49), and toss a poison on the life guy a round before. Or keep a vampire in your deck for a quick second shot. You can carry pierce TCs as well. My EMPs give me lots of those.
Easiest way is to run with another necromancer. Back to back Crows takes out everyone.
My wife and I actually run WW in under 2 hours just the two of us this way.
Good luck!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I currently have a L51 Death Wizard. I groan every time I come up against a Life mob/boss.

Sometimes I wish I could use a Death wand, but by using it, it would use up any blades and traps I had set up. So, I carry a lot of Poison and a couple of extra sets of blades (to set up future single hits). I do the same thing when I'm fighting a Balance mob/boss.

My wand is Myth, which is really good to use with my current tri-blade and tri-trap, as I can get a decent boost when I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the death shield on the mob/boss.

Poison works wonders!

Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
eric123456789028 wrote:
Hey Val, if you cast the prism before they cast the shield, the shield won't take action. Only if you cast the prism AFTER the shield, the shield will take action. Prisms can be confusing. Let's say you have these things on you and the enemy right now:

Dragonblade
Fireblade
Elemental Blade
Fire Trap
Fire Prism
Ice Trap
Feint

and then you use Efreet. All the blades will take action, but then the prism will come in. Now, the attack is an ICE move. the fire trap will not take action, since it's a ice spell now, but the ice trap will take action. The feint will take action anyway, because it's for anything. Hope this helped!

Hey, Eric~ thanks for the tip, but I think you misunderstood me. :P

If a Life wizard has a prism up on a Life boss, but the boss uses a Death shield, the next spell she casts will convert to Death and the shield will activate, cutting her damage by 80%.

BUT

If that same Life wizard has a prism on the boss, and the boss has a shield up, she can wand it off with a Death spark. Because Death can't convert to Death, it'll break the shield without taking the prism away.

-

Fortunately, Val can use Poison to break those shields. It's still annoying as heck when the bosses spam them~ unless he has at least two Death dispels on each enemy, I've seen monsters in Celestia put up 6 or more of them, over one fight. Because Death bosses don't shield against Life, he has an easier time with same-school bosses than opposing ones.

Those silly shields are to Death wizards what Weakness is to everyone in Dragonspyre. Put up all the dispels you want, but they'll still keep coming from somewhere... LOL.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2009
MerlAmbroseII wrote:

What isn't is being in Life fighting Life creatures due to high resist

Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
I currently have a L51 Death Wizard. I groan every time I come up against a Life mob/boss.

Sometimes I wish I could use a Death wand, but by using it, it would use up any blades and traps I had set up. So, I carry a lot of Poison and a couple of extra sets of blades (to set up future single hits). I do the same thing when I'm fighting a Balance mob/boss.

My wand is Myth, which is really good to use with my current tri-blade and tri-trap, as I can get a decent boost when I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the death shield on the mob/boss.

Poison works wonders!

Thanks for the tips everyone,and I groan every single time I see a Life or Balance Creature too.They are so ANNOYING! But also powerful.

Marissa Deathbringer, Grandmaster Necromancer Level 51

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
eric123456789028 wrote:

Dragonblade
Fireblade
Elemental Blade
Fire Trap
Fire Prism
Ice Trap
Feint

Hey, Eric~ thanks for the tip, but I think you misunderstood me. :P

If a Life wizard has a prism up on a Life boss, but the boss uses a Death shield, the next spell she casts will convert to Death and the shield will activate, cutting her damage by 80%.

BUT

If that same Life wizard has a prism on the boss, and the boss has a shield up, she can wand it off with a Death spark. Because Death can't convert to Death, it'll break the shield without taking the prism away.

-

Fortunately, Val can use Poison to break those shields. It's still annoying as heck when the bosses spam them~ unless he has at least two Death dispels on each enemy, I've seen monsters in Celestia put up 6 or more of them, over one fight. Because Death bosses don't shield against Life, he has an easier time with same-school bosses than opposing ones.

Those silly shields are to Death wizards what Weakness is to everyone in Dragonspyre. Put up all the dispels you want, but they'll still keep coming from somewhere... LOL.
If you cast the prism before the shield though, the shield won't take action. That's all i was trying to say just givin' you some extra info, lol

Wolf SilverSpear
Level 45 Pyro

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
I've NEVER seen a death doss/monster use a life shield. And almost all shielding stops after dragonspyre and celestia. The only shielders are ice and those are just tower shields.

You can easily get around shielding as a death wizard under celestia by planning to use a simple poison. But seriously I have had no problem with shields in avalon whatsoever. In Zafaria and celestia there were the astral shields though.