Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Equipment Dilemma

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
Hi, I'm Daniel SoulWalker, a level 56 Sorcerer, and I would like people's opinions on what is a better piece of equipment: something that gives you some lower stats in areas compared to what you already had, but gives you boosts in new ones, or an item that gives you a boost to what you already had.

Since I know that is really confusing to understand, here's an example with athames:

Bear's Claw of Balance:
Level Required: Level 56+
Bonuses:
+288 Max Health
+140 Max Mana
+11% Power Pip Chance
+7% Balance Damage
+5 All Critical Block

Versatile Steel:
Level Required: Level 56+
Bonuses:
+288 Max Health
+200 Max Mana
+15% Power Pip Chance

As you can see, the first athame doesn't give me as much mana or power pip chance as the second one, but those are areas that I've been boosting since like, I started or something like that. On the other hand, the first athame also gives me some balance damage and all critical block, two things that I've never gotten from an athame before.

Another thing to think about is do the new stat boosts make up for the loses? Let's say for another example that ring 1 doesn't give me as much health as ring 2, but ring 1 also has a bonus to incoming health. I might not have as much health, but wouldn't the bonus to incoming health make up for it?

So basically, what I'm asking is what are your opinions on this? Is it better to try and get a boost in all stats, or just focus on a couple? Do the new boosts in new areas make up for the lower, older stats? Can some stat boosts make up for others? Sorry this is so long, but I really just don't know what to do.

- Daniel SoulWalker, Grandmaster Sorcerer, Level 56

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Well, here's a great tip: Keep the extra gear you get for your Sorcerer. Don't sell it. Keep it in your backpack or your dorm/house bank for a while.

I was around Level 56 when I started doing this. As a Balance wiz myself (Archmage), it's essential to find the right balance from your gear. As you level up, it does become difficult to figure out what gear you want to use all the time. I usually keep 2-4 extra sets of everything so I can mix and match for the best results I want.

Your Athames (for example), the best one to use at the moment will be "Bear's Claw of Balance". It may have lower mana, but it makes up with some additional statistics that you need at this point in the game.

For Sorcerers (or Sorceresses), Balance base attacks spells don't do much damage. So, I look for gear that will boost my damage as much as possible. As you level up in the game, your damage boost may increase or decrease, depending on the gear you may receive/purchase/craft. But, you also need to look at the different stats to see if you want to sacrifice those just to get more damage boost. Hence, the dilemma.

For my wizard, I concentrated more on Health, Damage Boost, Critical Block, Resistance, and Power Pip chance. If some of that equipment comes with some Accuracy boost (and/or Healing In) as well, then that was a bonus.

A lot of people will concentrate on Critical. I don't, because getting a Critical is soooo random. Building up your Critical Block, I feel, is more important than Critical.

Some of the gear you will be getting (drop/purchase/craft), will have very similar stats to another. THAT is one of the reasons why I keep more than one in my backpack.

As you level up, sure, there is some gear you can sell. BUT, I still keep some gear for Level 56+, because it may, or does, have better stats than much higher level gear.

At Level 60, when you're ready for Waterworks, I would highly recommend collecting the gear for your Balance wizard. I'm at Level 80, and I STILL wear my WW hat and robe, as it's got the best statistics a Balance wizard can use.

So, what you need to do (in a nutshell), is to keep some of that gear you're getting. Mix and match to see what sort of statistics will work for you. If you find what works for you, keep the other unused gear in your backpack (in case you change your mind fast), or keep it in your bank.

My current stats at Level 80 Sorceress is:

Health = 4429
Mana = 598 (102 of it is from my pet Chimera)
Damage = 70% (8% is from my pet Chimera)
Resistance = 27% across the board
Accuracy = 85% base + 12% boost (8% from my pet Chimera)
Critical = 130
Critical Block = 149 across the board
Power Pip = 87% (4% from my pet Chimera)
Healing In = 26%
Healing Out = 27%

I hope my information helps! :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hey there~ as a sorcerer, I'll tell you right now that Balance is the hardest school to get decent stats in all areas, but it all depends on what kind of character you want to build.

Since you're so close to level 60, you'd be better off to hold off on buying new gear and just farm Waterworks for your hat/cape/boots of judgement. That gear is the best available in-game, and gives us the most well-rounded stats... Here's what my numbers look like:

Laura Shadowsong, level 80 Balance

Hat: Hood of Judgement
(+287 HP, +8% PP chance, +9% universal resist, +58 Balance critical points, +18% Balance damage, +5% incoming heal)

Cloak: Cape of Judgement
(+383 HP, +8% PP chance, 12% universal resist, +13 universal block, +21% Balance damage, +30 Balance critical points, +3% incoming heal)

Boots: Boots of Judgement
(+131 HP, +8% PP chance, +27 universal block, +7% universal resist, +14% Balance damage, +4% incoming heal).

Athame: Claw of the Ghost Wolf
(+200 HP, +150 mana, +7 universal block, +16% PP chance, +12% incoming heal)

Ring: Ring of Rare Origins
(+200 HP, +150 mana, +15% PP chance, +21% incoming heal)

Amulet: Witch's Star Necklace
(+50 HP, gives 1 Hex/+35% trap and one Balanceblade/+30% to next spell)

Pet: ancient Starfish
(+7% universal resist, +4% PP chance, may cast Sprite spell)

Wand: Staff of the Wildgrave
(+2% armour piercing, +46 universal block, +26 critical points, +1 PP at start of fight).

Total boosts:

Health: +1231
Mana: +300
Damage: +53%
Resist: +35%
Accuracy: 0
Power Pips: +55%

Advanced stats:

Critical: 114 (school only~ 26 for all others)
Block: 93
Power pips: 99%
Incoming Heal: +45%
Outgoing Heal: 0
Armour Piercing: +2%
Stun resist: 0

~

As you may have noticed, I've opted to play her defensively~ meaning low damage, high resistance and block ratings. If you want an offensive character, you can craft or purchase different gear for boosts to damage or accuracy, but your defensive stats will suffer.

As much as I'd love higher damage, I'm not willing to sacrifice my incoming heal-boost (I'm a solo player, so I don't care about outgoing), block, or high power-pip chance. For Balance, the best offense is a good defense, IMO.

Whichever one you choose, good luck & happy trails!

El Veeb/Shadowsong
archmage sorceress ;)

Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
Thank the both of you so much! Both of your replies were incredibly helpful. I have been hearing a lot about the Waterworks gear, and how it's pretty much the best gear you can get in the game. I have also heard that the Wintertusk crafted gear is pretty good too, because of the stats that are almost as good as the Waterworks, but also because they give you a better Balanceblade, Hex, and Power Play, the first two of which you can use with your regular ones. I'm level 59 now, but I'm a bit ahead in leveling and behind in progression of the plot, so I still don't have Availing Hands or Ra, and I'll do the Waterworks once I get those and some friends with me.

Again, thank you too so much! Wish me luck in the Waterworks!

-Daniel SoulWalker, Grandmaster Sorcerer, Level 59

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I'm glad vonawesome and I were able to provide you with good information.

I know that the Waterworks gear works the best for a Balance wizard, but not necessarily for other school wizards. My Archmage Ice wiz uses all crafted gear, as that provides me with the best stats I can currently get.

I guess since vonawesome is being DEFENSIVE, that means I'm being OFFENSIVE (pun intended). LOL :)

There's no rush in doing Waterworks, so when you're ready, go for it, and good luck! :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Planeswalker1 wrote:
Thank the both of you so much! Both of your replies were incredibly helpful. I have been hearing a lot about the Waterworks gear, and how it's pretty much the best gear you can get in the game. I have also heard that the Wintertusk crafted gear is pretty good too, because of the stats that are almost as good as the Waterworks, but also because they give you a better Balanceblade, Hex, and Power Play, the first two of which you can use with your regular ones. I'm level 59 now, but I'm a bit ahead in leveling and behind in progression of the plot, so I still don't have Availing Hands or Ra, and I'll do the Waterworks once I get those and some friends with me.

Again, thank you too so much! Wish me luck in the Waterworks!

-Daniel SoulWalker, Grandmaster Sorcerer, Level 59

You're welcome. ;)

And yes, WT crafted gear is probably the closest you'll get... but, since I hate crafting, I just farmed Waterworks; fortunately, it didn't take long~ I got my hat and cape on the first run, but had to do another 3 or 4 before I got my boots.

(Oh, and Power Play is useless~ just sayin'. LOL.)

A good place to arrange in-game meetups is w101 Central. Forums are in real-time, so there's no waiting 12-24 hours for approval. If you wanted to coordinate a run through, I have a Death wiz who still needs his boots. ;)

Good luck!

El Veeb (also my Central name)
& her army of wizardly goodness. :)

Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
I didn't use to hate crafting, until now. I had 300,000 gold yesterday, and then I finished the quest that gives you the Grandmaster Artisan title, so I could finally make the Wintertusk gear. Now I have 800 gold, because the reagents needed to make the stuff are super rare and expensive. Now, I really hate it. Although, I'm still glad that I've made some of the stuff, because now I'm actually helpful when my friends ask for help and I can fight bosses by myself without having problems. :D I still have to make the wand and deck though, and I need about 50,000 gold to get the reagents for those two things.

And vonawesome1, I think what I'm going to do is finish crafting the rest of the gear, since stuff like the wand and deck probably won't be replaced for a while, and get Ra, and then we can do the Waterworks since I'm now level 61. :D (I've gotten Availing Hands since my last post. :D ) I don't have a Wizard101 Central account though, so unless I can just post as guest, could we figure out a time/place/realm to meet on Wizard 101? I also have some friends that still need Waterworks gear, so then there's a lot of us.

Thanks again guys,

- Daniel SoulWalker, Legendary Sorcerer, Level 61