Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

People Entering my Home Unexpectedly

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
I may be missing on Wizard etiquette but it seems rude to me to just "pop" into someone's home uninvited. I have had this happen to me twice lately and each time the rude person preceded to say nothing to me, but run randomly through my home. What's up with that. I was really unnerved by it. I was in the middle of crafting. Is this common? I am fairly new to the game, but I find it makes me want to remove people from my friend list that I don't know personally. Is there a book of etiquette or behavior for wizards? If there isn't there should be, not just for daily getting along but also dueling and pet.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Darlar828 wrote:
I may be missing on Wizard etiquette but it seems rude to me to just "pop" into someone's home uninvited. I have had this happen to me twice lately and each time the rude person preceded to say nothing to me, but run randomly through my home. What's up with that. I was really unnerved by it. I was in the middle of crafting. Is this common? I am fairly new to the game, but I find it makes me want to remove people from my friend list that I don't know personally. Is there a book of etiquette or behavior for wizards? If there isn't there should be, not just for daily getting along but also dueling and pet.

Hi Darlar828,

You can disable this option in your settings. Go to your backpack, click on the gear icon, click the padlock icon, and then choose your privacy settings. Tada! No more random porting into your personal space :)

Happy Questing,

Qbb

Administrator
You have the tools to manage who can access your home and who cannot.

If you've just popped on to do some Gardening and don't want to be disturbed you can set yourself to be invisible in the Friends window.
https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/may2011#Privacy

You can also find in the Options panel settings that will allow you to control whether or not anyone can teleport to you at all.

Press Escape when you are not in a duel and go to the Privacy Tab (the small lock)
There you will find the following options.
Allow Friend Teleports Yes/No
Limit Home to Friends Yes/No

Limit home to friends means that only people on your friends list can teleport to your home while you are there, and have teleports enabled. Friends of friends cannot teleport in because they are not on your Friend list.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
Thank you so much for the information. It just happened again a few minutes ago - I had a visitor and I wasn't even there, so I will be more than relieved to change my settings.

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
This might be getting old, but I went in and did just as suggested but then realized that I 'friend' people all the time and don't really know who they are. Silly I suppose. But in doing that I have those folks being able to teleport into my home, even with the lock on. I also had someone teleport on top of me in the middle of a duel, someone I really didn't know but must have friended. Can anyone explain to me why I would want to friend someone I don't really know but that just simply asks me? I have been doing this because it seemed as though it might be helpful, now I am no longer sure why I thought that it was a good idea.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Darlar828 wrote:
This might be getting old, but I went in and did just as suggested but then realized that I 'friend' people all the time and don't really know who they are. Silly I suppose. But in doing that I have those folks being able to teleport into my home, even with the lock on. I also had someone teleport on top of me in the middle of a duel, someone I really didn't know but must have friended. Can anyone explain to me why I would want to friend someone I don't really know but that just simply asks me? I have been doing this because it seemed as though it might be helpful, now I am no longer sure why I thought that it was a good idea.

Are you sure you followed the instructions *exactly*?

If you did, you should see a red circle with a line through it (instead of the hands) in the top-right corner. If you've set yourself as invisible to friends, they won't see you online and therefore can't port to you~ also, turn teleports off; that way, if you're NOT invisible to friends, they still can't port. I believe it's in the same menu Prof. Greyrose already mentioned, as is the option to limit your home to friends only. This won't keep everyone out, but it will get rid of chain-porters.

Also, people can be dragged into your fights at random, if they are nearby and don't get out of the way fast enough... this is quite common, normal, and accepted.

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
vonawesome1 - Thanks I had not caught on to the last part you explained. As for jumping into duels. I get that sometimes folks get dragged in, it happens to me but I also get the feeling that new folks don't always understand the issue and are trying to help. A small mention of this in the guide or by Diego when he is training new folks would go a long way to help understanding. Thanks

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
hey peeps you have to be friends with the person for them to teleport to you.

Happy Wizarding! (lol)

Wolf SilverSpear - Master Pyromancer
Luke StormWraith - Magus Theurgist
Reed Storm - Intiate Diviner
Luke SkyWalker - Intiate Necromancer
Flint LegendCaster - Apprentice Conjurer

p.s. this is the only time i am naming all my wiz next time i only name Wolf S.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Darlar828 wrote:
vonawesome1 - Thanks I had not caught on to the last part you explained. As for jumping into duels. I get that sometimes folks get dragged in, it happens to me but I also get the feeling that new folks don't always understand the issue and are trying to help. A small mention of this in the guide or by Diego when he is training new folks would go a long way to help understanding. Thanks

You're welcome, and I agree with you (mostly) on the second half.

Personally, I don't mind people joining my fights~ what I do mind are the people who join or port in and try to take control of the battle by demanding that I buff/heal them or keep passing and let them kill the enemy; it's rude, it's unfair, and it needs to stop... as in, now.

Of course, a lot of the people who port like that are either curious about higher-level worlds or clicked the wrong name on their buddy-list. That happened to me once~ a low-level friend of the same school ported to me in DS, where I was fighting 2 rank 8 monsters (which, when you're level 45, is a bit of a challenge) by mistake; without missing a beat, he apologized, and he actually stuck around to help me take down the extra enemy he'd brought in. In return, I happily kept him healed and shielded, and had fun showing him "our" new spells. :)

In other news, I recently removed a "friend" who had taken to using me as his personal teleport-pad; once I got into Avalon, he would frequently port to me in combat, drag in another monster, and flee/demand that I heal him. That sort of behaviour is unacceptable and has no place in this game... Perhaps a small etiquette lesson from Diego would prove useful.

-El Veeb

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
It would be helpful if you could set it so only starred friends or true friends could teleport to you. That way you can still have questing buddies, but the won't invade your house.