Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Speed stat

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
I have an idea that may solve the great debate over how to determie who goes first.

Each player has a speed stat. Your speed stat increases as you level. Some gear may be crowns bought to increase speed and gear may be crafted, as well as dropped by various bosses. Some schools have higher speed stats then other schools. The order being as follows:

Storm>fire>myth>death>balance>life>ice

If you are in a 1v1 , and your a fire wizard with a sped stat of 135 and you are against a balance with 95 speed, you would go first. If you are in a 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4 then you would add all of the players' speeds together and whichever team has the greatest stat as a whole, then that determines who will go first. I think that this should be used in the PvE too. This needs to be fixed because what I, and many other players of this game have noticed is that generally who goes first has a signifigantly increased chance of winning. Be that as it may it could help a broken pvp system that people tend to abuse and it could help people in PvE take less hits, and ultimatly put some of the complaining to a bit of an ease

Survivor
May 24, 2009
I think this is a terrible idea. So higher levels would always go first? people with the most crowns would always go first? that is worse than the system we have now. The most simple solution is to go with a chess based turn system.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Survivor
Jun 07, 2010
I agree with Firestarter75. I don't think a speed stat would properly function in W101, especially if it is a school-specific attribute.

The closest I could ever get behind the idea is if speed is attached to gear (I mean non-crown gear, no exceptions, so people can't buy their way into first turn advantage), and if that gear has a significant decrease in other stats.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
I think this is a terrible idea.

Ok thats your opinion and i respect that

So higher levels would always go first?

I never said that. What i said was the schools will get speed points as they level. And different schools have higher base speeds that others. A level 50 storm can be faster then a level 80 ice. It all depends on what you do to attempt to make the stat higher. Saying what you are is like saying higher level wizards shouldn't be allowed to have better chances for power pips. Not true because they earned it through gameplay.

people with the most crowns would always go first?

Never said that either. You are reading what you want to, and not what i put. I said the gear would be availible in the forms of crafting, crowns, and boss drops.

that is worse than the system we have now.

Also your opinion and not provn to be true. You cant just assume things that you have never tried. I actually think a lot of people will back me up on this. Its a rather good idea imo and could at least be tried. Yes the system is broken, yes it needs to be fixed, and that is all i am trying to help with

The most simple solution is to go with a chess based turn system.
I am not familiar with that. I am just throwing my ideas out there

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
Firestarter75 wrote:
I think this is a terrible idea. So higher levels would always go first? people with the most crowns would always go first? that is worse than the system we have now. The most simple solution is to go with a chess based turn system.

Lol I would rather have the 2 people play rock paper scissors and that decide it. Then in 4v4 3v3 or 2v2 have a "team captain" do it. (it can be randomly appointed or you could just choose your team captain)

Problem solved

Blake

Explorer
Jul 10, 2009
This is a great idea, except the fact that each school has different speed stat. No. Each school should start out with the same amount of speed points I guess and it should only get bigger by the type of clothese you wear, crowns or not. This way some people might have to really sacrifice some of their good clothes to go first. Nice idea.

P.S. if eah school had different speed stats to start out with, then some schools could be biased and there will be even more complaining about which schools have a better chance of always starting first.

Good idea.

Community Leader
While it seems to address some issues, the Chess system has many problems of it's own. You would have to fix the time per turn, or you are now resulting in matches that are twice as long, or even more depending on the selection. Trying to implement a specific time on each turn is hard, because you have to give a wizard enough time to discard, draw, and pick the right card. I have had turns where I do it in 5-10 seconds, and times when it comes down to the last seconds on the timer.

I believe KI has already said putting in a new system causes to many problems. I would love to have a better system, but there isn't such an easy fix.

For gameplay tips, check the official Mercenaries101 fansite! To request free, experienced help with bosses & dungeons, click here for our forum.
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
In a turn based system, by default, someone has to go first. It is already random and fair. The alternative is to completely revamp the entire combat system where the battle is active (like WoW) where turns don't factor in at all.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
Wether from gear, level, or school type you should never give a player the ability to go first in every match because they have the highest "speed stat". That is much worse than keeping the random but fair system we have now. And you can't compare it to power pips or any other stat. none of those are any where near as large an advantage as going first.

The chess based turn system is just like playing chess. Player one makes their move, then player two makes their move. Say we were dueling and I was first, on turn three I am going to cast a shield, and you are going to attack. Under the current system we choose our cards at the same time and your attack hits my shield. In a chess based system I would cast my shield, then you would choose your card. Allowing you to avoid hitting into the shield. It would require an adjustment to the timer, but I think that is a minor issue.

Changing the turn system would be a huge undertaking and it is possible KI may never do it. If they do I hope the chess system is what they choose. It is generally accepted that in chess the first turn advantage disapears completely by the 20th turn or so.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
I don't think a speed stat would properly function in W101, especially if it is a school-specific attribute.

Why not? Its not like this game doesn't involve any math. We have so many stats for so many things so why is making another one such a big deal? It is school spcefied because I feel the schools are imbalanced, and maybe not in the order i have shown, but imbalanced indeed nonetheless. Maybe Kingsisle will make gear that is better then our waterworks gear in a new update and give a speed stat to some schools but not others as they did with universal accuracy and power pips. Who knows

The closest I could ever get behind the idea is if speed is attached to gear (I mean non-crown gear, no exceptions, so people can't buy their way into first turn advantage

I have already adressed that speed stat increses are availible in the original post. I have also explained that it can be craftable and it can be obtained through boss battles. Neither of which cost crowns. The original post clearly states this.

and if that gear has a significant decrease in other stats.

I can tell you are not very experienced with this game from this simple mini-sentence so i will remind you of this. People are still using the best gear in the game from 20-25 levels ago. People have been begging to get new gear that has these new stats on them such as piercing and stun resistance and increased further stats. I am not going to deny that it may overpower us so maybe a minor decrease in stat attributes for this, but nothing major because of overpowering abilities

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hmm. I don't really agree, especially if obtaining it requires money. I especially disagree with the School-based system, and that's coming from a Wizard that you said would have a higher base speed, Storm. What I would suggest, is something a little different. Basically a Coin Flip. Let's say there are two sides: Piggle and Spiral. Sides are assigned at random. If either 30 seconds passes or both players click a "Start!" button, the coin will flip up into the air and fall slowly to the ground, where it will both show and clearly state the side thats facing up. Then the player who chose that side will go first.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
especially if obtaining it requires money

People please read my original post again. It says it can be craftable and boss dropped also.

I especially disagree with the School-based system, and that's coming from a Wizard that you said would have a higher base speed, Storm.

The schools are imbalanced, we all know it, so why not? Like i said earlier maybe not in the original order, but still imbalanced. If we can give some schools an advantage who normally get demolished in a pvp by helping them to go first, we can make a world of difference for the pvp system. Since so many people are upset about the order maybe make it something like

balance>storm>death>life>myth>ice>fire.

Name your order. As for the turned based system goes, guys you know that that will take forever. Imagine going in a pvp while 6 people are "afk". It could take 10 minutes to just do one turn. And in a dungeon like Tower of the Helephant, or Waterworks. Can you only imagine how long it would take? People would be leaving left and right, because no one has 10 hours to do one dungeon for a chance at a good item. Maybe the system is just one of those things that you can never fix and completely satisfy everyone. Who really knows?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
thejordanator wrote:
especially if obtaining it requires money

People please read my original post again. It says it can be craftable and boss dropped also.

I especially disagree with the School-based system, and that's coming from a Wizard that you said would have a higher base speed, Storm.

The schools are imbalanced, we all know it, so why not? Like i said earlier maybe not in the original order, but still imbalanced. If we can give some schools an advantage who normally get demolished in a pvp by helping them to go first, we can make a world of difference for the pvp system. Since so many people are upset about the order maybe make it something like

balance>storm>death>life>myth>ice>fire.

Name your order. As for the turned based system goes, guys you know that that will take forever. Imagine going in a pvp while 6 people are "afk". It could take 10 minutes to just do one turn. And in a dungeon like Tower of the Helephant, or Waterworks. Can you only imagine how long it would take? People would be leaving left and right, because no one has 10 hours to do one dungeon for a chance at a good item. Maybe the system is just one of those things that you can never fix and completely satisfy everyone. Who really knows?
I still disagree with the idea of a stat and an actual order in the first place. And it never will satisfy all people. This probably isn't your game then.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
I see where you are getting at but if you think about it pvp has gotten so imbalanced that the person that goes first has a very high chance of winning. I kinda like the whole idea but maybe just leave the stats on the clothes.