Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Best School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
I have discussed this with my cousin, and some wizards, but i truly want to know, which school is the best?

I dont know because i have arguments for most of them, here they are -

Death -
Strength - Has a lot of tricks up their sleeve and is good at healing because of convert giving them a killing chance and also putting them up as well. This can help in battle on the street as they always end with full enerygy. They also have high power pip percentage
Weakness - They do have a little weaker spells and are not looked at as really the best attackers because they are not that strong.

Storm -
Strength - Very strong and can power up quick with a lot of boost and some attacks do do extra effects which can help them in battle like leviathon.
Weakness - Bad accuracy because they do fizzle alot and there is always the problem of health because they have low health. It also can not heal.

Ice -
Strength - A lot of resist and high energy making them hard to kill along with tower shields which make it more hard. They have a fairly good minion and can stun which also can help in battle.
Weakness - Does not have strong attacks and low power pip percentage which may cause it hard to get to attacks, and one they do, they do not deal a lot of damage. Can not heal as well.

Fire -
Strength - It is the second strongest school there is and that is obvious. It has a lot of overtime spells which can get past shields proving helpful in battles and they have a lot of spells that can attack all opponents which can make them be able to handle large amounts.
Weakness - This school can not heal making it kind of hard and it has low accuracy which may cause fizzling as well as having the second lowest health of all schools.

Balance -
Strength - Balance seems to be able to power up easily and really weaken the opponent causing them to deal less and fairly good power pip percentage. I do not know much about this school.
Weakness - Their traps and blades do not boost a lot and their attacks are just okay damage, not really good. (again, i do not know a lot about this school)

Life -
Strength - This one is kind of obvious as they can heal a lot and have pretty good defense. They also have a lot of energy. Life also has triage which keeps them from losing even more damage making them even more hard to kill.
Weakness - They are not that strong and can not attack a lot making it hard for them to kill the opponent as well.

Myth -
Strength - This school is fairly strong and it can stun making them have little more time to attack. The minotaur and orthrus also help to get around shields but can be hard to use with traps. Earthquake also makes sure they dont get too much damage.
Weakness - They can not heal in anyway making them defenseless other than pixie.

That is all, i want you guys to debate and add any more to this list. I want to see what everyone thinks. Also i want to see what each school is best against, i think life is bad against another life but good against a fire. Something like that. Thank you ...

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
MAGFIRE wrote:
I have discussed this with my cousin, and some wizards, but i truly want to know, which school is the best?

I dont know because i have arguments for most of them, here they are -

Death -
Strength - Has a lot of tricks up their sleeve and is good at healing because of convert giving them a killing chance and also putting them up as well. This can help in battle on the street as they always end with full enerygy. They also have high power pip percentage
Weakness - They do have a little weaker spells and are not looked at as really the best attackers because they are not that strong.
Reply: In my opinion, Death can be very good in the wrong hands. Their balance of Spell types can make for interesting strategies

Storm -
Strength - Very strong and can power up quick with a lot of boost and some attacks do do extra effects which can help them in battle like leviathon.
Weakness - Bad accuracy because they do fizzle alot and there is always the problem of health because they have low health. It also can not heal.
Reply: Well, at later levels, we don't fizzle as much, and we get a Healing spell in Avalon. But I agree with the low health. As for attacks, well, I don't power up, i'm more focused on rapidly draining the opponentes health. But that's just me.
Ice -
Strength - A lot of resist and high energy making them hard to kill along with tower shields which make it more hard. They have a fairly good minion and can stun which also can help in battle.
Weakness - Does not have strong attacks and low power pip percentage which may cause it hard to get to attacks, and one they do, they do not deal a lot of damage. Can not heal as well.
Reply: Ice is not to be underestimated. They can be a nightmare to fight, but once you can time some Shields right, you can beat them.

Fire -
Strength - It is the second strongest school there is and that is obvious. It has a lot of overtime spells which can get past shields proving helpful in battles and they have a lot of spells that can attack all opponents which can make them be able to handle large amounts.
Weakness - This school can not heal making it kind of hard and it has low accuracy which may cause fizzling as well as having the second lowest health of all schools.
Reply: Well, Link can heal Fire. And remember all schools can train Life magic. Same with Storm about Accuracy. It's main weakness is really a lack of Burst Damage. DoTs can be dispelled with Triage. But DoTs can cut through Shields easily, so they are well balanced.

Balance -
Strength - Balance seems to be able to power up easily and really weaken the opponent causing them to deal less and fairly good power pip percentage. I do not know much about this school.
Weakness - Their traps and blades do not boost a lot and their attacks are just okay damage, not really good. (again, i do not know a lot about this school)
Reply: They can be blocked easily enough with Tower Shield, and they take time to power up. When they land a hit, though, they can be quite powerful.

Life -
Strength - This one is kind of obvious as they can heal a lot and have pretty good defense. They also have a lot of energy. Life also has triage which keeps them from losing even more damage making them even more hard to kill.
Weakness - They are not that strong and can not attack a lot making it hard for them to kill the opponent as well.
Reply: With Guardian Spirit, Triage, and all those Heals, this school is very strong. It takes a lot of consistent damage to burn through them.

Myth -
Strength - This school is fairly strong and it can stun making them have little more time to attack. The minotaur and orthrus also help to get around shields but can be hard to use with traps. Earthquake also makes sure they dont get too much damage.
Weakness - They can not heal in anyway making them defenseless other than pixie.
Reply: This school's strength lies in it's Shield Removal and Minions, it's weakness lies in it's Damage.

That is all, i want you guys to debate and add any more to this list. I want to see what everyone thinks. Also i want to see what each school is best against, i think life is bad against another life but good against a fire. Something like that. Thank you ...

Well, after all that is out there, I have one conclusion: All Schools are Equal. A Storm can destroy a Death, then die to an Ice next round. Ice can burn down a Balance's health, then get demolished by a Fire. Then the Fire could turn around and lose to a Myth, etc. So, I think it's in the Strategy, not the School.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
With the new level 80 I have to go with Fire, LOTS of health strong spells

But one thing Fire can heal
1. Everyone gets pixie
2. Link and power Link

Health and Fizzling
My fire has 4134 health I think is very good for fire
Fizzle, Don't really fizzle that much no more then death and myth.

Very good points on schools and it's a nice post
Everyone is going to have there own points of view in fact I do beleave there is a topic like this some were on the forum. How ever i have a Fire , Life , Death, Tried a myth hated it lol.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2011
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
MAGFIRE wrote:

Well, only you can decide which school best suits your play-style. But, since you asked, and I've played all 7 schools, my wizards and I will gladly share our opinions with you. :)

MAGFIRE wrote:

Death -

Death is a trap-heavy class- base damage is low, and my spells require extensive buffing to be effective. Drain spells are, by far, the most efficient~ they allow me to heal AND do damage at the same time, which means that I can usually tackle mobs and bosses by myself... Anyone who knows how to use his (or her) tools properly shouldn't have a hard time, either.

Most of our utility spells require us to take damage, for some other perk. So far, I've got:

Empower (300 damage=3 pips)
Dark Pact (300 damage=+35% to next spell)
Sacrifice (250 damage= for 700 health)

Of course, that's what shields are for. My secondary is Myth, so I just throw up a shield to reduce the damage I take when casting these.

My only real issue is that (post-Dragonspyre) I don't always have the time to build up a good attack~ between bosses who critical constantly and gear with horrible crit-block ratings, I often find myself having to repeat the same fights numerous times.

-Val Deathwhisper, grandmaster/54

MAGFIRE wrote:

Storm -

Storm is, in my opinion, the go-big-or-go-home school: either I hit big, or I fizzle and "go home" to the Basilica. Yes, I fizzle a lot, but the damage is devastating, if and when I actually manage to get a shot off... fortunately, there are gear-boosts for that.

In addition, my health is awful... but it forces me to really think ahead. I have to plan every move, in order to avoid joining the bobblehead club, so I'll always aim for a one-hit kill, even if it means getting roughed up a bit beforehand. In the meantime, I stack shields- Spirit Armour, the dreaded Tower... sometimes, the best offense really is a good defense.

-Sestiva Stormblade, master/47

MAGFIRE wrote:

Ice -

It's true- I can't heal very well, at all. That said, I've got so much health and resistance that I really don't need to bother. Trying to take me down in a fight is a lot like eating a jawbreaker... you'll eventually get there, but it takes forever.

My attacks aren't very strong, though I imagine they'd do a number on someone who doesn't have as much health as I do. If you ever need a tank, I'm your girl!

-Tara Winterbloom, journeygirl/18

MAGFIRE wrote:

Fire -

As a pyromancer, I specialize in damage over time, or DoT spells. We hit hard, but the best part is being able to bypass shields (especially the dreaded Tower). All I have to do is cast Link, or Fire Elf... it's the gift that keeps on giving!

The only thing that bugs me is the constant fizzling. Because of my terrible accuracy, I tend to die in combat quite frequently; I'm not built to take damage, though being able to heal a small amount (with spells like Link) helps a lot.

-Angela Nightflame, journeygirl/14

MAGFIRE wrote:

Balance -

As it were, I'm El Veeb's oldest and highest-level wizard, which means that she tried out all of her psycho experiments on me first. Therefore, I'd be happy to explain the Balance school to you, in a bit more detail.

Sorcery is many things~ an art-form, a mixed bag, extremely-frustrating... sometimes, a combination of all three. I draw my power from all schools of magic, and am probably the most versatile~ I can heal, shield, and buff, plus I'm virtually unblockable (except by the dreaded Tower, and Ice's massive resistance to everything) and our base accuracy is tied with Death, for second-highest in game.

As a sorcerer, my base-damage and gear-boosts are pretty weak~ we don't have stackable school-only blades, like everyone else, so choosing the right gear is important. Balance is a support school, meaning that my primary purpose is to buff others, but don't /demand/ that I do so~ it's rude, and will probably result in you being defeated.

Gripes:

1. Nothing benefits me exclusively. My traps and blades are usable by everyone, and Power Play is the most-useless spell ever... next to Mana Burn, which is a free cast for the enemy (lame).

2. Because my blades are universal, I can't get rid of Weakness with a wand-spark; therefore, I have to rely on off-school treasure cards to avoid ruining my strategy. My favourites to stash in my side-deck are Cleanse/Steal Charm, Steal Ward, and Shatter, though some are pip-guzzlers (my power pip chance is 99% and I don't own mastery amulets, because I'd have to buy one for every school... not very wallet-friendly, IMO).

3. Same-school boss fights are a slow kind of torture. Not only do Balance mobs spam shields of all kinds, but they resist /everything/ in my spell-deck... as a result, such fights can go on for hours.

4. I have to waste 4-9 pips to break shields. Nothing's worse than going second in combat~ imagine you've finally got enough buffs and pips for an epic chimera when, all of a sudden... surprise! Spirit Shield goes up! Talk about inefficient, and kinda lame.

-Laura Shadowsong, archmage/80

MAGFIRE wrote:

Life -

Life's focus is on healing~ therefore, I'm pretty tough to beat. My accuracy is also the highest in-game, at 90% base, so I rarely ever fizzle; because of that, I'm practically immortal (though my health and resist isn't quite as good as Ice's is).

The only thing that bugged me is that I get my blade about 20 levels after everyone else gets theirs, and my trap is purchased from a special trainer in ColoThat, and facing off against same-school bosses~ they spam Death shields, which renders my converts almost useless... may be time to invest in an off-school wand, methinks.

-Tavia Summershield, magus/31

MAGFIRE wrote:

Myth -

Strong? No. But am I efficient? Absolutely!

At this point, my spells are mostly for show~ they look pretty, but don't do a ton of damage. My specialty is double attacks~ a small hit, followed by a bigger one... Those shields you put up? Yeah, they may as well not even be there. And, if you think that's bad, just wait until I get Shatter!

As a conjurer, I sometimes rely on minions to aid me in battle. I have a few different ones so far, all with different abilities and at different pip-costs; the Living Puppet is my favourite, since he costs no pips to cast and serves as a great distraction from the real perp (me, heh). Talk about weapons of mass distraction!

Perhaps, when I improve in my studies, I'll go strut my stuff in the Arena, as I've heard that's where we're most-effective.

-Patrick Dreamstalker, adept/21

MAGFIRE wrote:

Every school (except Balance) has an opposite that's easier to fight:

Fire v. Ice
Myth v. Storm
Death v. Life

@ level 50+

Storm v. Fire. v. Life
Myth v. Ice v. Death

Myth/Life/Death v. Balance

Of course, those rules only apply to PvE~ because players in the Arena have resistance, healing abilities, and pets that can give both of those, it's hard to say what a good PvP pairing would be.

Hope we helped!

El Veeb
& her wizarding family. :)

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
There is not a best school, they are all equal.

OK, OK, let me be honest: I spoil my Theurgist.