Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mana cost in arena

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
So from what I gather about match length, be it group or single duels, some players are frustrated with very long fights. Why not allow mana to be costly in arena as it is in PvE?

Mana scales with level and gear so it would be alright to have it work that way yes? This can help put a limit on turtle play and will push both combatants to use their mana carefully. But let's be honest, 60+mana should be more than enough in 1v1 at least. Even if the players use treasures and reshuffle, it takes a lot to use up 60 mana in one match.

Mana cost is the best way to have a time limit in a match. Pets cast spells for free, there are lots of 0-1 pip spells that players can use It should work shouldn't it?

Even players around level 5-10, they can have what, 30-40 mana right?

Survivor
May 10, 2010
Uhm, no.

Arenas are only for practicing duels, and what if the Mana from both sides run out? They'll be stuck using blades, traps, shields, or running away.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
FioreFlame967 wrote:
Uhm, no.

Arenas are only for practicing duels, and what if the Mana from both sides run out? They'll be stuck using blades, traps, shields, or running away.

Just like when a player runs out of cards in arena, the match will end. The person who goes empty forfeits and is disqualified. I should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry.

Hmm, I'd like to make some adjustments to the idea:

Levels 1-20 players start with 60 mana for 1v1 and 2v2. 80 mana for 3v3 4v4

20-50 players would have 90 mana up to 2v2 and 120 mana up to 4v4.

50-80 players have 120 mana up to 2v2 and 150 mana up to 4v4

Feel free to make any suggestions/adjustments for teams...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
FioreFlame967 wrote:
Uhm, no.

Agreed

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
FioreFlame967 wrote:
Uhm, no.

I must agree with you here.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2011
I entirely agree with you, CorbinW. I don't think those that are disagreeing realize how long matches are becoming. Also, as stated above, you'd more than likely run out of cards before you ran out of mana. This would still allow Reshuffle to be used, but it'd be used conservatively, rather than a card that enables duels to last hours. Granted, I've quit PvP, so my opinion may carry no credibility to some. I support this idea, though.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
FioreFlame967 wrote:
Uhm, no.

I must agree with you here.

This is an interesting problem and whether or not this would be an idea to consider for arena, it wouldn't solve the human factor of being inactive to avoid defeat, I get that. Having mana cost in arena would pressure players to continue to be active as their mana begins to shrink. They now have to find strategic ways to fight fast and hard or forfeit. And it is something that I think we could use in arena. Besides, if both players get low on mana, so what? It isn't that much different from a player who forgets reshuffle and doesn't want to discard their last spell. How is that not the same as forfeiting the fight? And there are lots of 0 pip spells that are spammed anyway, the only costly spells being the higher level utility or attack spells. So however this were to play out, it provides some good limit to an arena where there are too many exceptions already. Besides, you're going to have what say 60-80 mana at minimum to start. You can't take out your opponent with that limit, that's ok, try again, your opponent has to deal with that amount too.

Think of it, this would help limit heal play. Instead of a player running the entire match, they now have to be more strategic about it. Same goes with defensive tank players. And even those that just like to rush and spam hit after hit.Some of us do like long matches, and who doesn't love a good punching bag where you can test your decks power on a good defensive opponent? But even so, a limit would be nice, and nothing more natural than mana cost would fit well.