Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A change in the generation of MMO gaming?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
A few day's ago i was filling myself with teaser information of The Elder Scrolls Online. And i came across an article that said how they were going to do payment and who can play the game. And one of the things the article said was that pay for subscription games are going out and that they think they're going to do a pay for sub, and you can pay it as much as they like as a trial to see if they like the game, but have a full access 1 time purchase that would be 60-80 bucks.

I know your main source of pay is from subscriptions, but if you kept that and put in a buy full game, and make new world's like Avolon be a DLC for X amount of dollar's, I can say that crown sales will be higher than ever, and you will have more people going for this because it's cheaper but more people will buy it. I under stand crown payment is allot like this buy i don't plan on doing crown payment mainly because its around 120-140 U.S dollar's for it.

Any way i wish i could link this article that i read, but if many current and new coming MMO's change to this new style of console like game pay, would you switch to it or just keep it the way it is? Any way I wonder what you the community thinks and also what greyrose or any W101 developer thinks.

Administrator
As you know, we already have alternate payment methods.

Membership allows to you rent the game for the duration you wish to pay.
Crowns allow you to permanently pay by area and purchase areas of the game as you progress.

Whether you purchase a subscription or pay by area, really depends on how you think you will play the game.

If you plan to push through as much of the content as possible in the shortest amount of time, then a month to month subscription is the best value for you.

If you plan to play several characters over a long period of time, then a 6month or 1year subscription is probably the best value for you.

If you only have a few hours a week to spare, or will hold off playing for long periods of time, then purchasing individual areas is the best value for your time. It allows you to purchase just the next street you need to progress, and once you've purchased an area, it's accessible to all your characters on that account. Purchasing individual areas lets you progress at your own pace without feeling like you have a subscription hanging over your head. (similar to the downloadable content you refer to)

The prices for the individual areas can be found here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/areapricing

If you're not sure, then use the Free to Play portion of the game as your guide. See how fast you move through to the end of Triton Avenue, and gauge your passion and your available time accordingly.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
Thank you for answering but I hope I don't put this in a mean way but does KingsIsle have any plans in changing the way the game is purchased. because i play the game in random bursts were one day i can play it all day, then for the next 2 or 3 days I go outside chill with friends or play my ps3. And i find that purchasing my games at once and buying a dlc or expansion pack when I need it which can be when i beat the game a few months or weeks later.

So again not trying to be rude but does KingsIsle Entertainment plan on changing their current options of game payment. Or are they prepared to change it if other MMO's change their own payment to a console/DLC plan. I have looked into crown payment but i don't have the money for $120-$160 on a single game at the moment.

Again not trying to be rude and if you could answer this again i would be very thankful for a single answer of Yes or No.