Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is better % better hit or luck to hit 2x

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
I can hit for 65 balance and my son hits 86 as storm. to hit 2x power I can hit 104. I am thinking this is a dice right? I was thinking by math 2x hit is fun, but if its dice roll I can fail. % hit is what it is. any help here is nice to have.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Are you talking about crit hits ? Am guessing thats what you mean by the 2x the attack yes it's a percent if you look on your stats under crit hold your mouse pointer over your school icon on it and it will show you your percent add them all together and that is what you have the higher it is the better off you are. But yes it is a dice roll get the percent up higher and you will crit more :) same with the block also. Hope this helps .

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Someday I will get better @ grammar. I am not very good @ luck. Am I guess correct, if your dice of attack is greater then the other guy you get to hit bigger? The attacker is 150 and the def guy is 100. The math would sat the attack will hit big, but the dice is used on both. The def guy can in a way still block if his dice is better?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
e4e5nc3 wrote:
I can hit for 65 balance and my son hits 86 as storm. to hit 2x power I can hit 104. I am thinking this is a dice right? I was thinking by math 2x hit is fun, but if its dice roll I can fail. % hit is what it is. any help here is nice to have.

It all depends. My Balance wizard only has a 53% damage boost, but she has 109 critical points for Balance attacks- it's a dice-roll, but I have seen her hit for critical 3 times in a row. Doesn't happen often, but it's nice when it does. :)

Critical works in points, not percentages... so, my critical has a 109-point boost, not 109% chance of critical. Here's how it works (for the sake of an example):

My Balance wiz fires off a Power Nova (gear-boost only, no blades or amp) that normally hits for 718... Critical doubles that, which would give her 1436 to all enemies. The sky's the limit, once you have blades, Amplify, or a better gear-boost... but I kinda like my +45 to incoming heals, especially when those hit critical. ;)

Hope that clears it up a bit!

L.S.
transcended/76

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
e4e5nc3 wrote:
Someday I will get better @ grammar. I am not very good @ luck. Am I guess correct, if your dice of attack is greater then the other guy you get to hit bigger? The attacker is 150 and the def guy is 100. The math would sat the attack will hit big, but the dice is used on both. The def guy can in a way still block if his dice is better?

If I understand your first question (in the first post), you were wondering which stat was better: damage boost, which is in presented in % (so 65% for you and 86% for your son) and critical rate (which doubles your damage, hence the 2x).

In my opinion raising damage boost is a better option. Like you say, critical rating is like a dice roll, you may or may not activate it, and your chances are depending on how high it is. Damage boost on the other hand is always a sure thing. Basing your strategy on critical rate is a gamble, in most cases, whether you win or loose depends on if you are gonna get a critical hit. With damage boost, you know what to expect, you know how many blades to use, how many spells to equip (and as a bonus, there's always critical rate to hope for).

I don't think there's much comparison to be done here though. these two stats usually go hand to hand. if you have a gear with a high critical rate then chances are it will provides at least some decent damage.

Regarding the second question (the one on the post i quoted), you are correct. Luck is involved in both sides. Even if the attacker has a higher amount of critical rate than the defender's block rate, there is a chance that he might still get block and hit normal damage. Someone had a theory on how critical rate and block rate related to each other but i forgot where it is.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
if you have a higher number in your crit you will crit more often damage will still be 2x just crit will go off more. Also block has a higher rate then crit so you really only need to aim for around 60 - 80 on all schools but 100 block is best that's a no fail rate there meaning you will always block.

Now on normal attacks you go by your stats what you school attack is say you have a attack card with 1000 damage on it and you attack in your stats is 50% so then you will add 500 more damage to that card now your at 1500 not adding blades and traps ok now if you crit that damage goes to 3000 but if they block it stays at 1500 however in pvp the other player may have stats that resistance of 25% lets just say so then that 1500 will now do 25% less damage on that play in pve the monsters have none less there the same school. hope this helps good luck :)

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
nagashiki wrote:
e4e5nc3 wrote:

If I understand your first question (in the first post), you were wondering which stat was better: damage boost, which is in presented in % (so 65% for you and 86% for your son) and critical rate (which doubles your damage, hence the 2x).

In my opinion raising damage boost is a better option. Like you say, critical rating is like a dice roll, you may or may not activate it, and your chances are depending on how high it is. Damage boost on the other hand is always a sure thing. Basing your strategy on critical rate is a gamble, in most cases, whether you win or loose depends on if you are gonna get a critical hit. With damage boost, you know what to expect, you know how many blades to use, how many spells to equip (and as a bonus, there's always critical rate to hope for).

I don't think there's much comparison to be done here though. these two stats usually go hand to hand. if you have a gear with a high critical rate then chances are it will provides at least some decent damage.

Regarding the second question (the one on the post i quoted), you are correct. Luck is involved in both sides. Even if the attacker has a higher amount of critical rate than the defender's block rate, there is a chance that he might still get block and hit normal damage. Someone had a theory on how critical rate and block rate related to each other but i forgot where it is.

I agree. Besides being based on luck, when you get to the higher level bosses the majority are going to block your critical almost every time anyway, so the higher hit % is better.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
If you are asking how much boost a storm can hit: here is what I have calculated:

Robe: Skyscream Robe 26
Hat: Skyscream Hood 21
Boots: Skyscream Boots 20
Pet with:
Pain giver 6
Storm giver 6
Pain bringer 3

Ring: Deep Water Rising Ring 11
Athame: Rainy Season Pike 11

Thats 104%.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Ronster55 wrote:
If you are asking how much boost a storm can hit: here is what I have calculated:

Pet with:
Pain giver 6
Storm giver 6
Pain bringer 3

Thats 104%.
wow thats pretty impresive and all but i doubt a pet will give all of those lol

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
gweedoboy wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

Pet with:
Pain giver 6
Storm giver 6
Pain bringer 3

Thats 104%.

It's actually very possible. Just today i saw a storm with a polar cat that had:
pain giver
storm giver
pain bringer
the new storm damage boost from triton

he had 104% damage boost i think. so chances are if he went with the gear set up proposed by ronster he would be even higher.
I forgot to take a screenshot but for an avid pet breeder like myself it was a sight to see.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
nagashiki wrote:
gweedoboy wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

Pet with:
Pain giver 6
Storm giver 6
Pain bringer 3

Thats 104%.

It's actually very possible. Just today i saw a storm with a polar cat that had:
pain giver
storm giver
pain bringer
the new storm damage boost from triton

he had 104% damage boost i think. so chances are if he went with the gear set up proposed by ronster he would be even higher.
I forgot to take a screenshot but for an avid pet breeder like myself it was a sight to see.
well wow i guess its possible but i bet it took that guy a heck of a time still to get it XD :-)