Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 5-4-12

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Happy Friday everyone! We've had an eventful week here at KingsIsle, launching Avalon, yesterday we had to evacuate the building due to a gas leak (everything's fine now - but being a fire Wizard, I know how important it is to be safe around that type of thing...), and today, we'll be taking a little break this afternoon to see The Avengers! First, however, there's lots of exams to grade, and I certainly didn't want to miss our Feedback Friday this week!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk about strategy. If you were the enemy, what are some tactics that you would use against those meddling Wizards who were trying to interrupt your fun? Just for a moment, put your monster hat on and let your creativity run wild.

For example, if I had all the powers in the world to draw from, I might send an illusion of myself to fight pesky Wizards so I didn't have to deal with removing them, but if they were so bold as to defeat that illusion, I would certainly have to jump right in and take care of business. What would you do?

Have a wonderful Friday, and a smokin' hot weekend!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Explorer
Dec 02, 2011
Defender
Sep 18, 2009
I think those meddling wizards are already starting with a disadvantage in the higher worlds, with starting out with less than half the number of pips us big, bad bosses start with, but I can think of a few ways to make their lives even more difficult, without being so bad that those Ravenwood teachers think they need to step in and ruin our wiz-stomping fun.

If I were a balance boss, I might think, "That wizard thinks they are going to blade up and Storm Lord me? I think not! SPELL SCRAMBLE!", and then that poor wizard finds at the beginning of their next turn that they have a whole new handful of cards, could be 2 sprites, a storm shield, Vengeance, and a kraken or 2, but their storm lord went bye-bye.

If I were death, I am sure I could intimidate the poor wizards pets and freeze their ability to help their master for a couple rounds. "TERRIFY!" and their poor fierce hound is hiding behind them, too scared to sprite them or put up that pesky death shield, not to mention removing and spell-defying abilities.

As a myth boss, I think I could master the power of "CONFUSION!" and the poor wizard doesn't get to choose their actions for the next turn. They might dragon me or put a fire blade on the life person next to them. A totally random action. Of course, if that were the case, I am sure Ambrose or one of those pesky smiths would invent a lead lined hat for those wizards and have a certain resist rating too it. Some people are more easily confused than others. :)

As an ice boss, I could use "DEEP CHILL!", much like frostbite, but after that 3rd round is done, the poor wizzie is frozen solid. Triage would of course remove it before they were a wiz-cicle and the 'heat' of battle would have them thawed in a round or 2.

As a fire boss, I could make them sweat and perhaps "Fatigue" would set in. If they have been fighting my bad self for more than x-number of rounds, their accuracy and damage start to drop.

As a life boss, I should be able to summon the "SPIRIT OF EARTH" and heal a certain number of points each turn for the entire battle. I may be a big bad boss, but Mother Nature still loves me. <3

And since every knows us Storm bosses are shockingly powerful, we should show our tender side by bringing our pets to battle with us. A couple of pet electric eels should provide some electrical "FEEDBACK" damage to any wizard who thinks they can strike us with immpunity. Maybe 10%-20% of the damage they think they can do to me will be returned in kind by my fishy little friends.

And any boss, such as my self, should be able to leave a smug little wizard feeling "SHORT-HANDED" and finding themselves with only 2-3 cards in their hands the next turn. Of course they will probably get their full hand back one card a turn, but it should put a twist in their pointy toed shoes for a while.

Oh, I love being an evil boss. So many ways to make a wizards life miserable.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Oh my, this could be extremely fun.

Well, I guess, I would always have a tower shield on. Then, I would counter everything those pesky wizards did.

1. If they cast a trap on me, the trap would be removed from me and placed back on the wizard who cast the trap on me.

2. If a Wizard casts a charm, I steal the charm.

3. If a Wizard tries to cast weakness on me, I remove the weakness and put it on the Wizard who cast it on me.

4. If a Wizard casts a shield, I steal the shield.

5. If a Wizard tries to pierce or shatter my shields, I get my tower back and they lose any shields they have remaining.

Yeah, these are the tactics I would use, use their strengths against them.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
Just posting off the top of my head, I'd use the classic Trapdoor! scheme.

Once the wizard stepped into my lair, I'd drop him/her off to a lower level while I prepare my defenses. I might even fill the dungeon with monsters.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
Hmm! How about mind swap!

I'm the evil boss confronted with four wizards, each from a seperate school. "Muhaha!" I say to myself, "I bet that storm wizard doesn't have a clue how the life wizard mazimized his deck!" Suddenly all of those annoying wizards are panicking and yelling at eachother for messing up attack strategies.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2008
Ooh, this is fun.

Well, if I were a tricky boss monster, I'd have illusions of myself fighting beside me. If I am hit before my "friends" are gone, then some massive consequences will take place. Here comes the good part; the foolish little wand-wavers wouldn't be able to tell me apart from my copies! They'd have to risk getting seriously damaged in order to discover the real me.

Another nifty little trick I'd use is a triage spell that removes auras.(Star spells)

Finally, pip-stealing would be so frustrating to those ice wizards that just sit around, charging pips up.

Explorer
Apr 27, 2011
darthjt wrote:
Oh my, this could be extremely fun.

Well, I guess, I would always have a tower shield on. Then, I would counter everything those pesky wizards did.

1. If they cast a trap on me, the trap would be removed from me and placed back on the wizard who cast the trap on me.

2. If a Wizard casts a charm, I steal the charm.

3. If a Wizard tries to cast weakness on me, I remove the weakness and put it on the Wizard who cast it on me.

4. If a Wizard casts a shield, I steal the shield.

5. If a Wizard tries to pierce or shatter my shields, I get my tower back and they lose any shields they have remaining.

Yeah, these are the tactics I would use, use their strengths against them.

I like darthjt ideas... Maybe some bosses can have some of the abilities, not all because because that will be a little overpower.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Keep regenerate on myself throughout the entire battle that cannot be reduced by healing debuffs. Every time they put a star spell aura, I'd punish them with an automatic, no-pip supernova! Triage any over time attacks they use, and keep infection on them.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
I would most likely use some clever moves for once. It makes me laugh every time a monster/ bad guy has like 4 pips and then all of the sudden you have 3 hundred health. They are perfectly capable of defeating you but instead use a blood bat. Another thing I would do is Not constantly use blades on my allies if it isn't their type [Ex: myth monster using myth blade on death monster]

Also being that there could be no limits 0n how bad you could be I would probabbly join the ranks of malistare and destroy every young wizard that stands in my path

Logan firedust Level 35 pyromancer

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:
Happy Friday everyone! We've had an eventful week here at KingsIsle, launching Avalon, yesterday we had to evacuate the building due to a gas leak (everything's fine now - but being a fire Wizard, I know how important it is to be safe around that type of thing...), and today, we'll be taking a little break this afternoon to see The Avengers! First, however, there's lots of exams to grade, and I certainly didn't want to miss our Feedback Friday this week!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk about strategy. If you were the enemy, what are some tactics that you would use against those meddling Wizards who were trying to interrupt your fun? Just for a moment, put your monster hat on and let your creativity run wild.

For example, if I had all the powers in the world to draw from, I might send an illusion of myself to fight pesky Wizards so I didn't have to deal with removing them, but if they were so bold as to defeat that illusion, I would certainly have to jump right in and take care of business. What would you do?

Have a wonderful Friday, and a smokin' hot weekend!

if i were a sword weilding draconian i would just slash all the wizards wand in half and then burn there hands so they have no way to use magic
they would have to master swordplay instead moohahahahahaha

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
First of all, as pedantic as it is, I needed motivation to fight against good guys. So there is a totalitarian shadow force coming into power and there is a counterforce of good guys that has come together as a sort of "underground resistance". This counterforce is assembled from beings from all over the Spiral. The totalitarian agenda is to subjugate the whole Spiral - the first stage is, of course, to disarm the public. Which for The Spiral means starting with all practitioners of all magic forms, as they will be the most trouble. The Totalitarians use weapons and tactics that will rob the foe of their memory leaving them vulnerable to suggestion that they were never magical. Being unaware of their magic they are easy to convince that magic is a lie or something to be feared in others who do have it - rendering wizards of all levels and schools either bystanders, fearful accomplices for the Totalitarians or actual allies fighting with the Totalitarians to protect themselves from wizards and such.

Writing this now, I realize this reminds me both of X-Men and Harry Potter.

Anyway: As the only hope for The Spiral, and being aware of the great danger of encountering any of the upper level Totalitarians the Counterforce has dispatched a cohort of strong fighters and their leader - The Mother Hen (a giant burley Hawk-man - think Rambo with feathers -) to show the wizards of Wizard City that no matter what they have learned and been through - they are no match for this level of magic. For their own safety this team will ruthlessly use every method possible to turn them back to Ambrose carrying a message for his eyes only . This message will explain the whole thing to Ambrose. He will realize that he had unwittingly sent his students into the way of extreme harm when he'd only meant it to be an investigation of some anomalies in an area he hadn't heard from in a while.

...hmm - that means that The Counterforce is either cut off from Ambrose or hasn't been able to risk communication before.

Their new mission from Ambrose will be to go to train for a magic that can protect them from mind control and memory meddling. This magic will use pips, rounds and mana - but is necessary to continue the battle against upper level Totalitarians with any hope of success and if things go well some of his students may be able to join the fight under the leadership of The Counterforce or at least if things go badly - they can protect themselves and other students when The Totalitarians reach Wizard City.

By The Way - loss in a battle against that magic doesn't just send you reeling back to the commons area. The wizard actually doesn't have access to spells or magic items of any kind. (That means gardens, too. So there should be a warning to players like at dungeons - reminding them that if they lose this battle they will be unable to garden for however long it takes them to complete the Healing Side Quest. As such, it is recommended that this dungeon area be held off till after Elder Harvest and a fallow garden. [make that "empty garden" for the little kids.])

The player suffers selective amnesia and having forgotten his magic is only aware of missing time (as he tries to recall where he is and how he's so old - since he's lost all his time from after realizing he was magical.) There are thankfully Caretakers that are stationed to watch the fighters but not interfere until defeated - so they aren't also attacked.

These Caretakers lead the wizard on side quests that aren't required if you succeed in all battles at this level - but are also not as painfully boring or silly as the ones in Marleybone. The Caretaker will lead the wizard on a journey to the only known healer that can reverse this magic. Along the way there may be messages to deliver - but not weave back and forth - and collection of ingredients - which the Caretaker would already know the list of (as this is his job.) Once at the Healer's there could be any number of required tasks to get back into the game, as long as they are structured to be healing, relearning, remembering, and preparing to defend against that new magic. Advanced combat training after memory restoration, too. This training could consist of real fights with the Caretakers and Healer and have rare and valuable drops and rewards.

Rewards on this journey should be good in terms of loot, gold and xp - after all they did get kicked out of the main game for a period of required non- battle questing. Also, they lost the ability to garden. It shouldn't be painful - like the ghosts in Water Works and all the street punks in Marleybone who give you almost nothing at all.

The Mother Hen and the Caretakers tactics will include:
Primary Goal: Send Wizard City Students back to Wizard City with the belief that all is well and there is nothing for Ambrose to worry about. Keep the illusion of peace intact as long as possible.

Method: Deception.
• Watch for the young wizards as they come into the area. Befriend them. Help them find the people Ambrose sent them to find. This is easy as they are all recruits for the Counterforce. Every one of them claims that all is well, but they have just been too busy to respond. Send their apologies and promises to visit when things are running smooth in their work, lives etc.
o Unfortunately Ravenwood students seem to have a sixth sense about being lied to and realize that these people are holding something back.
o They continue poking around.

Method: Minor Battles for redirection
• Hopefully the students will see minor skirmishes as normal enough but realize the other -professors or whatever Ambrose's friends are - obviously are busy. Maybe the kids will go home and report this to Ambrose and it will sell the story.

Secondary Goal: If Primary fails - defeat the student's with such force and power that they will go home and tell Ambrose that whatever he means to do - the students will be of no use in this war. They don't realize that instead of telling the kids to stay in Wizard City for the time being - he will send them for more schooling and some to volunteer to train with the resistance.

Battle Plan

There is a 4 boss battle where they employ randomized cheats from every boss in the game (equal chance of any boss using any cheat at any time.) The only way to win, playing with the right level characters, is to have a dedicated healer and a dedicated hitter. The only way to win "easily" is to have someone who can save pips and hit the group repeatedly - one with Spirit group hits and another with Elemental group hits - but with Mana Burn out there ...?...

The schools and levels of these bosses is cloaked, only a great deal of experience in the battle or the online guide of such a player will give the wizard any clue what he's up against.

This battle is required to advance through the main quest line or to get to the lucrative Healing Side Quest - if you lose against The Totalitarians. This battle is hard and long but has rewards either way. For the stubborn players who will try and try until they make it there are high level crown gear drops, the energy gear from the Wyrven's Hoard packs (but coded to change the stats to match the character you put it on - - so if your Super Hero Ascended Master character doesn't need energy - you can put it on your level 24 gardener) , 5 packs of Evil Magma Peas or Couch Potatoes or Deadly Helephant Ears, etc -

For the less stubborn players, they are defeated and sent home to Ambrose with a message from one believed to be the super villain of all time - and receive the main quest from Ambrose which leads to magic schooling, battles, loot, and either triumph over The Totalitarians or to the Healing Quest and then Triumph over the Totalitarians.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
If I were an evil boss... uh, I'd probably hang out in DS and take Malistaire out, so I could run the joint myself.

Depending on what school I was, I'd have some fun with those wizards. If I were:

BALANCE- imagine buffing for that awesome rank X spell, only to have a Balance boss throw a critical Judge at you... with your own pips. Kinda how Mana Burn was /supposed/ to work, but ten times as annoying (and totally overpowered, but fun for me, since I'm not on the receiving end). Weakness-spamming is for noobs.

STORM- you know those blades you've been stackin? Well, I'mma steal them and combine for my Supercharge.

FIRE- reverse DoTs are fun... especially Power Link. There's a 50/50 chance that it'll heal me and harm the caster, instead of the other way around.

ICE- those shields you just put up? Congratulations- their totals are now combined into a massive Tower Shield. Have a nice day!

More to come...

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I just came up with this one:

When I'm confronted, I would triple in size and use a bunch of spells that have double their normal attack power and the effects happen twice (e.g. steeling two wards instead of one with steal ward, a frost giant would stun twice, etc.). This might be a bit overpowered, but it could be fun for me!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
I'm a compassionate individual who wouldn't commit such atrocities.

I'd cast invincibility to protect myself from all spells.

If there is a team of wizards trying to stop me, I'd annoy them by stunning players randomly each turn, inevitably preventing them from working together as a team.

Even better, why even bother? I'd just teleport them far, far away. If they keep coming back, I'll just keep doing it until they give up.

Why have enemy-like wizards at all? Cast a spell to make them all disappear, vanish, become nonexistent.

If I'm bored, I could transform their spells into comical creatures such as bunnies, butterflies, and kangaroos.

How about casting a spell that causes all wizards to speak a different language? That way no one can communicate with one another.

Gather all the power in the universe and then smite him or her.

If wizards entered my tower and wanted to stop me, I'd rearrange the layout of the entire castle indefinitely. They'd become paranoid and claustrophobic in this never-ending maze.

How about sending them into an alternate dimension, preventing them from ever returning?

*takes off monster hat*

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Whenever i get attacked by the same school of magic twice in a row i would summon a minion from the same school of magic that i was attacked with. That is i would have seven different minions I could summon, one from each school of magic. these minions would all cheat in a way that resembles each other, but would rely on their school of magic. using my storm minion as an example, if he gets hit with stom damage he would cast a storm trap on the caster and a storm blade on himself. If he gets attacked by myth damage, he would put a myth dispell on the caster and a myth sheild on himself. this would translate to all the other minions, changing to suit their school of magic. so the fire minion would use fireblades, firetraps ice shields and ice dispells, and the ice minion would use iceblades, ice traps fire shields and fire dispels, and so on. in case you were wondering, the balance minion would treat death as his opposite. if there is no more room left for a minion, and i would otherwse summon one, all the existing minions cast a high level attack spell from their school of magic, all in the same round.

Administrator
You folks are so clever! I'll let the monsters know they need to up their game next time. New Feedback Friday shortly...

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea