Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Waterworks Gear, It's Causing Havoc!

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Alright, we all know about Celestia. Celestia expanded the things we've had since square 1 like the level cap, the high rank spells, mounts, and more. We've even gotten some new things like the astral spells.

One of the biggest changes to me was the gear, and how it got insanely monstrous. If you have your level 60 gear, you already know what I'm talking about. Your average strength would be in the high 40s to the high 70s line (excluding ice because strength isn't critical in their school)! Your resist is in the 30-40s (I've seen higher, but we'll keep it here.)! Fire and Storm, two classes with the worst accuracy, rarely fizzle these days with their accuracy at the 90s! Wizards now have a chance at having a spell critical, making it do double damage!

Am I really complaining? NOT AT ALL. I don't mind walking around with super powerful gear capable of many things, and I am sure many wizards don't mind either. We may not realize it though, but this new powerful gear is causing havoc.

One way the level 60 gear causes havoc is with enemies. Ever since we've gotten this new gear, enemies bow down to us. Seriously, Zafaria was as easy to chomp down at than Oreo Crumb Cake (mmmm, my favorite!). We simply defeat our enemies with spells like fire dragon, snow angel, and Storm Lord that reach damage limits of over 1000 damage on a single blow (Not to mention the blades and all). In summary, our level 60 gear makes us too strong against enemies.

Another way our new, powerful gear causes havoc is the way it impacts PvP. As everyone knows, the PvP section of the Message Boards is bursting with complaints and arguments with PvP and how it's unfair. I guess we can sort of agree as a whole that with our new spells and gear, the PvP system has gotten totally scraped up, and there's no bandage to cover the scrapes and scratches. Our gear has caused wizards to easily win PvP, even on the first round sometimes with spells like Tempest, Meteor Strike, and Insane Bolt (Insane bolt is not a problem anymore, isn't usable in PvP nowadays)! It's not the spells that are causing the easy win, it's the strength boost from our gear that causes massive damage.

This is an out-bursting problem, and KI knows about this catastrophic situation. Problem is, they're taking action the wrong way. Every piece of gear after the Waterworks gear has not been the same. The gear has been
a lot weaker in a few ways. Lots of the gear cut the trend of universal resistance and universal critical block, and instead we get universal crit block/resistance for our sister schools (i.e fire gets crit block/resist for storm and ice only, death gets crit block/resistance for myth and life). KI is assuming that if they throw out all of this weaker gear, wizards would eventually start wearing them rather than the Waterworks Gear. Obviously this tactic doesn't work, because we're going to be able to get to Level 80, and we're clinging on to our level 60 gear like crazy glue.

A better way to take impact on this powerful gear situation isn't too much like rocket science to me. One way to help the situation is to make enemies stronger by giving them a strategy. Instead of constantly throwing random spells at us, enemies could know when it's best to shield, and use their pips wisely.

Another way to solve the problem PvP-wise is to make a "Clean PvP" section as an option when doing PvP. You can do a PvP match without the critical, critical block, and treasure cards. I wrote more about this before, but I have no idea how deep in the Ideas Section it got, haha. Just look it up on the search!

Worst case scenario, KI would have to just moderate EVERYTHING in terms of new gear, enemies & Bosses, and some things in PvP. This would take a while to do, and I doubt it would get to this situation.

What do you guys think about the Waterworks gear and how it impacts the
spiral? I wanna hear all of your opinions on the comments section!

Justin Titanwraith, Level 70 Pyromancer

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
I did not like anything that you posted. WW gear may be the best in game but it is far from overpowered.. The boots have no crit. The most crit my balance has with this whole set and a 50 crit wand is like 158 and around 72 damage. Far from op.... Level 55 crafted gear is basically as good.... I don't know why you think its causing havoc..... Its not that good but sadly its the best now even with level 70. We actually need better gear.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
jennyajtim wrote:
Alright, we all know about Celestia. Celestia expanded the things we've had since square 1 like the level cap, the high rank spells, mounts, and more. We've even gotten some new things like the astral spells.

Celestia was also the release of Critical, Critical Block, and gear resistance to 2 other schools.

One of the biggest changes to me was the gear, and how it got insanely monstrous. If you have your level 60 gear, you already know what I'm talking about. Your average strength would be in the high 40s to the high 70s line (excluding ice because strength isn't critical in their school)! Your resist is in the 30-40s (I've seen higher, but we'll keep it here.)! Fire and Storm, two classes with the worst accuracy, rarely fizzle these days with their accuracy at the 90s! Wizards now have a chance at having a spell critical, making it do double damage!

Actually, it was not Waterworks that first incorperated this. Level 58 gear had critical, high accuracy, high damage boost, critical block and resistance to 2 other schools, unless you were Ice, then you got global Resistance.

Am I really complaining? NOT AT ALL. I don't mind walking around with super powerful gear capable of many things, and I am sure many wizards don't mind either. We may not realize it though, but this new powerful gear is causing havoc.

In your opinion, Waterworks gear is causing havoc. However, what was causing havoc at that point and is the entire reason that Waterworks gear was made, was the fact that Ice had massive resistance to all schools, while all other schools only had resistance to 2 schools.

PvP was not given an upgrade, so commander gear did not have Criticals, or Critical Block. While Ice's Level 58 gear, had just as much, if not more resistance than Commander gear, with critical, critical block, accuracy, damage boost, and massive health, making commander gear look foolish.

One way the level 60 gear causes havoc is with enemies. Ever since we've gotten this new gear, enemies bow down to us. Seriously, Zafaria was as easy to chomp down at than Oreo Crumb Cake (mmmm, my favorite!). We simply defeat our enemies with spells like fire dragon, snow angel, and Storm Lord that reach damage limits of over 1000 damage on a single blow (Not to mention the blades and all). In summary, our level 60 gear makes us too strong against enemies.

Actually, it is the new feature of enchanting attacks that is making attacks extremely powerful. Enchantments like Colossal +275 to base, Gargantuan treasure +250, Gargantuan +225. These enchantment spells added onto the base damage of a spell, then add in the gear boosts, make any spell incredibly powerful. So, it's not entirely the gear, it's also the enchantments.

Another way our new, powerful gear causes havoc is the way it impacts PvP. As everyone knows, the PvP section of the Message Boards is bursting with complaints and arguments with PvP and how it's unfair. I guess we can sort of agree as a whole that with our new spells and gear, the PvP system has gotten totally scraped up, and there's no bandage to cover the scrapes and scratches. Our gear has caused wizards to easily win PvP, even on the first round sometimes with spells like Tempest, Meteor Strike, and Insane Bolt (Insane bolt is not a problem anymore, isn't usable in PvP nowadays)! It's not the spells that are causing the easy win, it's the strength boost from our gear that causes massive damage.

Actually, it is a combination of many different factors. Criticals, Damage boosts, enchantments, first turn advantage, mismatches, power pip chance, critical blocks all play factors in PvP now.

To simply blame Waterworks gear is to not understand the mechanics of PvP at all.

This is an out-bursting problem, and KI knows about this catastrophic situation. Problem is, they're taking action the wrong way. Every piece of gear after the Waterworks gear has not been the same. The gear has been
a lot weaker in a few ways. Lots of the gear cut the trend of universal resistance and universal critical block, and instead we get universal crit block/resistance for our sister schools (i.e fire gets crit block/resist for storm and ice only, death gets crit block/resistance for myth and life). KI is assuming that if they throw out all of this weaker gear, wizards would eventually start wearing them rather than the Waterworks Gear. Obviously this tactic doesn't work, because we're going to be able to get to Level 80, and we're clinging on to our level 60 gear like crazy glue.

This is one area I agree with, but I can't exactly say it is because of PvP. KI for some reason, is now adding in Armor Piercing, so they are trying to force people to either keep Waterworks gear, or get higher critical rating and armor piercing and lose tons of accuracy, damage boost, healing, critical block, and pips.

A better way to take impact on this powerful gear situation isn't too much like rocket science to me. One way to help the situation is to make enemies stronger by giving them a strategy. Instead of constantly throwing random spells at us, enemies could know when it's best to shield, and use their pips wisely.

I agree, Mobs could start to shield again, that would help make things a bit more difficult and require schools to use the right combination of wands again. Also, Mobs could receive even more health or a damage boost.

Another way to solve the problem PvP-wise is to make a "Clean PvP" section as an option when doing PvP. You can do a PvP match without the critical, critical block, and treasure cards. I wrote more about this before, but I have no idea how deep in the Ideas Section it got, haha. Just look it up on the search!

Yeah, been suggested several times, actualy a Ranked PvP Options tab was the best suggestion, for those that like or dont like minions/criticals/healing/etc. But this would require an entire overhaul of the PvP system.

Worst case scenario, KI would have to just moderate EVERYTHING in terms of new gear, enemies & Bosses, and some things in PvP. This would take a while to do, and I doubt it would get to this situation.

What do you guys think about the Waterworks gear and how it impacts the
spiral? I wanna hear all of your opinions on the comments section!

Justin Titanwraith, Level 70 Pyromancer

I have clearly demonstrated and proven how Waterworks gear is not at fault at any of your accusations and claims. Waterworks gear is the "Commander Gear" for levels above 60.

However, KI is failing to create any type of gear, that somewhat resembles Waterworks gear, maybe with a bit more critical and critical block and just a bit less damage boost and accuracy. A little give and a little take, not a little give with Taking everything else.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
I agree that it is too powerful, Mainly because of this point here.
KI is assuming that if they throw out all of this weaker gear, wizards would eventually start wearing them rather than the Waterworks Gear. Obviously this tactic doesn't work, because we're going to be able to get to Level 80, and we're clinging on to our level 60 gear like crazy glue.
I like your idea to a cirtain extent. I think that with "Clean PVP" it should take away ALL stat changes given by gear exept Health and Mana.
Another way to solve the problem PvP-wise is to make a "Clean PvP" section as an option when doing PvP. You can do a PvP match without the critical, critical block, and treasure cards.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2011
I agree and disagree, my ice wiz went though zafaria in level 58 celestian ice gear. As ice I wanted the resist from the gear added to my pets resist and i had over 50%. Now if I want that resist with my other characters I agree with you completely.

As the enemies being weak and dumb. I agree completely. My deck for my ice wiz there had blades, colossal, vengeance and blizzards only. I did add converts against ice guys and sometimes changed to a dif deck against bosses. Even as an ice wiz my colossal blizzard bladed and crit would hit over 2000.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
Hi Marissa SparkleSinger lvl 60 Life here. :D
Here is a way to help with this problem.

1.) KI makes "Waterworks Gear" unusable in PVP. :) (easy to do)
2.) KI has a sensor to make monsters stronger when a fighter in a duel is wearing "Waterworks Gear". ( harder to do)
This way it will be more to your benifit not to wear "Waterworks Gear" and fight with your technique, or else your friends will be killed real fast!

This would make it more fair and interesting.
The fun of the game is in the tecniques needed to the win duel.

Life gives strength to all

Morresa :D

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
game is not just for pvp one ..but they can fix it by making the WW gear not for pvp meaning you can't wear it in pvp but i see nothing wrong with it. Your not unstoppable with it.. WW gear is not new also been out for over a year now. it's not causing havoc there is crit and there is block. If you ask me Zafaria bosses have a lot more crit then we do am saying this cause there was times they crit and i did not block so WW is not all that anymore yes it's better then the new 70 gear by far but i would not go all out and say it's super powerful. KI is not going to take it away.even i have WW gear on all my wizards i still do WW for fun and snacks.You may have some good points to some people but i for one dislike pvp over the smart mouth people. I farm bosses and help people when needed. Also the pvp items kinda stink who wants lvl 42 gear ? lol. If anything KI should add better PVP gear.

Defender
Jul 06, 2011
consider this. every other person has their level 60 gear because waterworks takes nearly four hours, and not everyone has time to do it every other day.
i've done waterworks only five times cause i have a time limit and i only have my boots, but zafaria still gave me lots of trouble. espessially morganthe's agents in the elephant graveyard.
so its actually harder for poeple that dont have time to do the waterworks.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
Really Really.... Bosses to easy creatures not tuff enough.... I mean no Harm here but Really you can not Make everyone happy take way ,people get mad give more, people get mad....I believe the game is running good for what it is .... does it get boring after the first wizard....Yes you know the ins and outs.... Who doesn't get bored in some parts of the game doing it over and over making diffrent wizards.... There is no such things as THE ALMIGHTY GEAR.... They just put diffrent gear in to try to fit diffrent wizards taste...

games getting tuff put on the better gear need a challenge switch up....I say don't like the gear feed it to your pet...

But in short please please don't ever ask Wizard101 to Take Away

Thanks for Reading

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
As long as Waterworks equipment affects the wizard in any form or way, one can always blame Waterworks for how PvP is affected as a result. One can say this about ANY equipment.

Anyway, since everyone has the Waterworks gear, or the great majority do, it simply becomes the 'new way of PvP' and once that mindset has sunk in, one can easily turn around and say "oh, it is not the gear that affects pvp. You can't blame <set name> equipment at all."

I agree with Darthjt. Waterworks dungeon is causing all the havoc. It is very long, tedious, sometimes not easy to find groups for, especially during slow times, and just overall ... a pain. Therefore some people opt for the Zafaria equipment, which almost everyone agrees is inferior to Waterworks equipment.

Hence, a Zafaria wizard will inadvertantly face a Waterworks wizard, and may not like that so much. For whatever reasons.