Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spiritcaller drums=crafting insanity.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Before I say any more, anyone who knows me probably knows just how much I love crafting (note the sarcasm)... In my humble wizard's opinion, it's a waste of time and energy, and this quest just proves it.

Not only do you need a ridiculous amount of rare reagents (that take days, even weeks, to find, even though I transmute, server-hop, and snipe in the Bazaar at ungodly hours), but it's just crafted items on top of crafted items. After 6 months, I've only managed to craft *one*, and the thought of having to do it all over again makes me want to throw up... or maybe sacrifice myself to the Helephant (you get the picture). "Crafting insanity" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface... I wish I could just turf the quest, but that doesn't appear to be an option, either.

Avalon's release isn't that far off, and I'm already dreading it... seriously, enough is enough. Does anyone have any advice? I'm starting to lose both hope and patience. :-(

L.S.
transcended sorceress and hopefully-soon-to-be-legendary artisan.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
Before I say any more, anyone who knows me probably knows just how much I love crafting (note the sarcasm)... In my humble wizard's opinion, it's a waste of time and energy, and this quest just proves it.

Not only do you need a ridiculous amount of rare reagents (that take days, even weeks, to find, even though I transmute, server-hop, and snipe in the Bazaar at ungodly hours), but it's just crafted items on top of crafted items. After 6 months, I've only managed to craft *one*, and the thought of having to do it all over again makes me want to throw up... or maybe sacrifice myself to the Helephant (you get the picture). "Crafting insanity" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface... I wish I could just turf the quest, but that doesn't appear to be an option, either.

Avalon's release isn't that far off, and I'm already dreading it... seriously, enough is enough. Does anyone have any advice? I'm starting to lose both hope and patience. :-(

L.S.
transcended sorceress and hopefully-soon-to-be-legendary artisan.

Its not that tough... Took me 3 days... Just stockpile the reagents before hand... I almost got everything for tag game...

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I feel your pain.

I've been trying to get my Legendary crafting done for almost 2 MONTHS. You can only transmute so much before you completely run out of the basic ingredient(s). You can only raid areas so often (even changing realms). I've raided my other wizard characters for anything I can use.

I too have raided the Bazaar at weird hours, hoping for something I could use, and if I do find something, as soon as I click on it ...... it's sold.

I realize crafting shouldn't be too easy, but my goodness, by the time I get the tasks done, I'm past the point of being able to craft clothing for certain levels that I would have liked to have at the time. Plus, by then, I'm out of ingredients!

My spouse plays but doesn't want to do crafting, so I raid everything he has (hehe).

I wish I could tell you ways to get it done faster, but alas, I don't have any suggestions except to be patient and hope you can get what you need within a reasonable time (snicker). Yeah, like that would happen .....

I wish you luck, as well as anyone else who's trying to get the crafting done.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I too, feel your pain. So far, my myth and death wizards have finished that particular quest. I just now have nine more wizards to look forward (not) to doing the Spirit Caller Drums quest also. My ice and balance are on it now.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Do a little research. Everything needed for the Legendary Artisan badge are drops from plants. So, doing a little gardening will help speed up that quest.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
I feel your pain.

I've been trying to get my Legendary crafting done for almost 2 MONTHS. You can only transmute so much before you completely run out of the basic ingredient(s). You can only raid areas so often (even changing realms). I've raided my other wizard characters for anything I can use.

I too have raided the Bazaar at weird hours, hoping for something I could use, and if I do find something, as soon as I click on it ...... it's sold.

I realize crafting shouldn't be too easy, but my goodness, by the time I get the tasks done, I'm past the point of being able to craft clothing for certain levels that I would have liked to have at the time. Plus, by then, I'm out of ingredients!

My spouse plays but doesn't want to do crafting, so I raid everything he has (hehe).

I wish I could tell you ways to get it done faster, but alas, I don't have any suggestions except to be patient and hope you can get what you need within a reasonable time (snicker). Yeah, like that would happen .....

I wish you luck, as well as anyone else who's trying to get the crafting done.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one having issues with this... sorta confirms that I'm not off my rocker, in thinking that this quest is just too excessive. If I'm ever going to earn that badge, I need all the luck I can get.

Shadowsong (my sorcerer, also my first wizard) and Sestiva (level 43 diviner) are the only ones who have bothered with crafting; I cut Sestiva off at Marleybone (since the Dragonspyre quest was a nightmare), so Shadowsong now has five other wizards helping her out... but it hasn't made much of a difference at all.

I don't think that crafting should be "easy", but KI *could* tone it down a bit- some of us (adults and older teens, mostly) have responsibilities offline, and don't have the requisite time and patience to commit hours/days/weeks/months to searching for virtual items.

Games are supposed to be FUN, but this crafting quest is nothing short of slave-labour; the only difference between it and a full-time job is that my boss at work pays me to do annoying/boring/repetitive stuff.

Thanks for commiserating- I feel better now. :)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
darthjt wrote:
Do a little research. Everything needed for the Legendary Artisan badge are drops from plants. So, doing a little gardening will help speed up that quest.

I've got about 15 plants at any given time to help with reagents. Unfortunately, it's still a very slow process. I'm not saying it should be done really fast, but after two months, it's getting a bit ridiculous, as I've only completed ONE Spirit Caller Drum.

One of the biggest problems is Aether. You need quite a bit to make the Conga Drums, and you need FOUR Conga Drums to make two Spirit Caller Drums. For those two Spirit Caller Drums, you need a ton more Aether to complete them.

The Bazaar is basically empty when it comes to Aether. If you're lucky, you might be able to grab one every few days or so. Considering you need 40+ Aether to complete all the drums, it's a very slow process.

Patience is virtue .... however, when you're trying to get the crafting done for certain gear, it's a moot point. By the time you finally complete a crafting level, you're way past the point where the gear might be useful.

My Balance (70) is still working on the Legendary crafting (all other quests are done for the game at this time). My Ice (54) is still working Master crafting, and the rest of my wizards are supplying the goods.

If the supplies were more readily available, it would be more fun. At this point, I'll complete the one Legendary crafting, but the rest of my wizards will not go through this again.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
darthjt wrote:

It's hard to gauge someone's tone over the internet, but yours comes across as very condescending, and I don't appreciate it. We've had this discussion before- just because *you* may be quite happy to treat this as a full-time job doesn't mean that we all feel the same way.

Since you seem to be the resident expert on everything, JT, I have a few questions for you:

1. How is gardening any less time-consuming and tedious than crafting? I had a garden once, but gave it up because it got expensive and I no longer had the time to maintain it.

2. Are you psychic? You obviously seem to think so, since you were so quick to jump to the conclusion that I hadn't already looked this stuff up. Don't assume- you know what that does, don't you?

-

While the comment may be completely innocuous, certain phrasings don't lend themselves well to text without a voice- why not take a moment to consider how your words might be perceived by other people, before clicking Submit? Yes, the internet affords us a comfortable sense of anonymity, and you may think that you can say whatever you want, without fear of reprisal, but remember that there /is/ a person on the other end of that screen.

L.S.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2011
Ether comes from fickle pickles (gardening) and can also be transmuted from kelp which is easy to find in Celestia underwater areas.

To get sunstone is more difficult- sandstone (transmute into sunstone) comes form evil magna peas and they also occasionally drop sunstone.

Takes patience and planting a large amount.

Good Luck.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I, too, am feeling the pain, as I begin the Legendary Artisan quest with my Necromancer. I have been dreading this quest since I completed it with my Theurgist. The biggest problem I have with it is that the gear stats of the recipes aren't very appealing to me, and I didn't make anything when my Theurgist finished the quest.

The only reason I'm going to do the quest again is that I have decided to give up my comfy WW gear in favor of innovation with my Necromancer. She's a safe one to experiment with, because she really doesn't need resist to survive anywhere.

But yeah, I'm already stressed about making those conga drums. The actual spirit caller drums will be a breeze, but the conga drums requires too many fossils for the quest to be much fun. I don't particularly enjoy farming the Atheneum for stone blocks, there are never any in the bazaar either, and the fossil drop of 1 per 10-15 stone blocks is frustrating.

This reminds me of how frustrating the MB and Mooshu crafting quests were, before there was good access to Black Lotus and Scrap Iron in other worlds. What's worse, it doesn't even help much to have several high level crafters to share reagents for this quest. It's still very, very difficult.

I'm with ya, Vonaswesome1.

Qbb/Iridian/Moira

Survivor
Oct 23, 2011
I agree. It is insane at this point i have finished all my quest in Wizard101 EXCEPT for the drums. i have gone through most of the realms today looking for aether, sunstone, sandstone, ore, stone blocks, pearls (all three),black lotus, kelp and mandrake. To create any of these or buy is impossible. I need 42 aether and it takes kelp to change to mandrake to change to aether..... say ten kelp to make one mandrake and 15 mandrake to make one aether and i need 42...rediculous.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
I think one of the main reasons that these things are so hard is that KI keeps using the same regeants over and over again in the crafting quests. So those regeants become impossible to get because everyone is looking for them. I have my legendary crafters badge only because I saw the recipe in test before it was released and began getting all of the ingredients together long before I needed to. As soon as the realm went live fossils were nowhere to be found. I know this because I needed 30 fossils to make a manequin.

I just wish they would switch up the ingredients.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
@TamelaD,

I agree. It is the fossil quantity that is the issue. They have always been rare, yet fairly common in crafting recipes. Stone blocks are also rare, now.

This reminds me of the black pearl/black lotus shortage for the DS crafting quests before the CL release.

Ugh, I need 60 fossils...

Qbb/Moira, Frustrated Crafter

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
FINALLY! I did it! After a hair over two months, I finally finished the crafting quest to get my Legendary Artisan badge.

I'm not sure I will put any of my other wizards through this torture, as my supplies are now exhausted and would take forever to build up again.

Now that I have one wizard done (for now), I really wish we could make gear for other schools, so I can use them for my other wizards. I hate the thought of having to make each one Legendary just to make gear for that specific school.

Darn

Champion
May 03, 2011
Now that I have one wizard done (for now), I really wish we could make gear for other schools, so I can use them for my other wizards. I hate the thought of having to make each one Legendary just to make gear for that specific school.

Unless they changed it in Avalon, you only need one Legendary Artisan on each account (unless you want to craft houses--those can't be traded). My Legend has made gear for all of my wizards. You can buy the recipes, make them, and trade them to the wizard that needs them through your shared bank. I have done this with both WT and ZF crafted gear. There's no reason to put each wizard through the misery of these quests unless you just want to claim the accomplishment. You only need one. Hope this helps.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
Agreed. I have 1 spirit caller drum crafted, it took me week! If the next crafting quest is even harder, i might give up on crafting, its becoming not worth it at this point. The grandmaster quest was so easy, they took a big leap to extremley hard.

The fossil and aether are really rare reagents, those are the hard parts. Who the heck ould even want to craft these drums? Why are these drums so hard to craft, there just drums! I can craft the celestia house right now if i wanted to, but i cant craft 2 drums! Seriously.

Spiritcaller drums=crafting insanity

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
Unless they changed it in Avalon, you only need one Legendary Artisan on each account (unless you want to craft houses--those can't be traded). My Legend has made gear for all of my wizards. You can buy the recipes, make them, and trade them to the wizard that needs them through your shared bank. I have done this with both WT and ZF crafted gear. There's no reason to put each wizard through the misery of these quests unless you just want to claim the accomplishment. You only need one. Hope this helps.

Hmmm. I've got all the reagents to craft some gear for my other lower wizards, but it won't let me. I have the recipes, but when I try it, it tells me "You can't craft that here". I have ALL of the crafting tables, unless there is some special one I'm missing.

I'm a level 80 Balance, trying to craft gear for my level 60 Ice.

Am I missing something?
THANK YOU!!!!
:)

Champion
May 03, 2011
Hmmm. I've got all the reagents to craft some gear for my other lower wizards, but it won't let me. I have the recipes, but when I try it, it tells me "You can't craft that here". I have ALL of the crafting tables, unless there is some special one I'm missing.

I'm a level 80 Balance, trying to craft gear for my level 60 Ice.

Am I missing something?
THANK YOU!!!!

If you are trying to craft gear from the recipes you bought in Wintertusk, you need to craft it at the Ice Forge in Grizzleheim. This is behind the village, across the river in Northguard. There are stepping stones that go there. (It's cool-looking inside! :)) All other gear is crafted at your equipment crafting table. Make sure you have one of these--the other tables won't work.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

It's hard to gauge someone's tone over the internet, but yours comes across as very condescending, and I don't appreciate it. We've had this discussion before- just because *you* may be quite happy to treat this as a full-time job doesn't mean that we all feel the same way.

If some people were not so sensative and always take someones posts the wrong way, you may not have this problem. All I can say, I have 12 Wizards and right now, 5 of them are Legendary Artisans. And I probably have enough fossils to get 2 more there, and still craft the gear.

Since you seem to be the resident expert on everything, JT, I have a few questions for you:

1. How is gardening any less time-consuming and tedious than crafting? I had a garden once, but gave it up because it got expensive and I no longer had the time to maintain it.

Gardening to me, kills 2 birds, with one stone. I garden Evil Magma Peas, why? Because they drop excellent reagents, excellent treasure cards, and the main reason, 1 rank 9 mega snack at every elder harvest, along with it's own seed. It's a never ending supply that is well worth the time and effort.

2. Are you psychic? You obviously seem to think so, since you were so quick to jump to the conclusion that I hadn't already looked this stuff up. Don't assume- you know what that does, don't you?

I am not jumping to any conclusions, I was offering suggestions. I don't see why people would rather jump on the bandwagon of complaining about something, when usually they are having only 1 wizard complete this task. Try 12.

-

While the comment may be completely innocuous, certain phrasings don't lend themselves well to text without a voice- why not take a moment to consider how your words might be perceived by other people, before clicking Submit? Yes, the internet affords us a comfortable sense of anonymity, and you may think that you can say whatever you want, without fear of reprisal, but remember that there /is/ a person on the other end of that screen.

L.S.

Instead of always blaming someone else, or the game, maybe it would be more beneficial to look within yourself. Instead of alway looking for the negative, think that maybe they are trying to help. I am quite blunt when I speak here and if the truth hurts, I apologize, but I am who I am.

Nothing good in this game is easy.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Oh, thank you, thank you! I had no idea I had to craft Wintertusk gear there. I didn't get any for my Balance wizard, because by the time I was able to craft it, I already had better equipment.

WOOHOO!

:)

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Here's a great tip : Start another wizard and try to collect as many reagents as you can along the way and by then end you'll have enough reagents to craft so that way you don't feel like you wasted your time on one objective.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Oh, thank you, thank you! I had no idea I had to craft Wintertusk gear there. I didn't get any for my Balance wizard, because by the time I was able to craft it, I already had better equipment.

WOOHOO!

Happy I could help--I think someone had to tell me that, too...it's not obvious. And glad you got your new gear...now you can craft for all your wizards, which makes things a lot easier. :)