Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 23, 2011
Today, my brother's friend on Wizard101 asked him to help. So I came along.

It was a big mistake.

I was telling everyone to go to certain levels of Counterweight West, in pairs of two. I knew it would be faster. I had done it before.

Then, suddenly my brother's friend called me a showoff. She said it because I had better spells than her.

I'm the same level as my brother. What's the problem?

Then she tells me to get out, she didn't ask me to help, like I did something wrong. I was the healer, I help everybody.

So, I got annoyed. I began to not like her. What's her problem? Then, she defeated the boss and told me not to help. I didn't, not because she told me to but because I wouldn't help her if she was on her knees. I don't help anyone who calls me a showoff.

Then, I got disconnected and as it loaded again I watched my brother's screen. She said, "Why did she come? I didn't ask her to. Can you make her go away?"

I got connected again and ignored her as we went out of the dungeon. But before I did, I said, "I came because I help my brother at all times." But she didn't answer.

So, my question is, am I being mean? Is she? I'm confused...

Defender
May 31, 2011

First, she invited your brother to help her. She did not even know you and you show up uninvited. It would have been better to have your brother ask first if it was ok for you to join in the dungeon. If she said "no" that should be respected. You may help your brother at all times but it wasn't your brother who needed help, it was her. You should have asked what kind of help she wanted from you and not just assume your way of "helping" was helpful.

Second, you took over in directing on how to fight the dungeon. It really does not matter if you done it before or if you believe your way was better. Your role was to assist in the dungeon not direct it. You could have asked if she minded suggestions, but if she wanted to do it differently you should accept it graciously. She was the one that needed to do the dungeon and the one that asked for help in fighting it. It was her role and right to direct it and it was rude of you to take over no matter how well meaning you were in doing so.

As to her calling you a showoff because of your advanced spells, she was most likely quite annoyed by then because you crashed in uninvited and took over directing the dungeon.

Were you mean? I don't believe you were trying to be mean, but I do believe you were not thoughtful or respectful of her feelings or position. She was the one organizing her help for the dungeon and unless she gives the leadership role specifically to someone else, it belonged to her whether you agreed with her way of doing it or not. I am sorry, but if I was in her shoes I would have been resentful, too. If you had asked her first if you could join the battle, if you had ask her to specify what she needed from you, and if you followed her lead I am sure the "showoff" comment would not even had happened. Your idea of being helpful is not the same as other people's idea of helpful. Ask how you can help, don't assume.

The mature and right thing to do is to offer your apologies.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
"Then she tells me to get out, she didn't ask me to help, like I did something wrong. I was the healer, I help everybody. She said, "Why did she come? I didn't ask her to. Can you make her go away?" There you go, that is what you did wrong. You did not ask to join. Then when the friend said to leave you did not. I would imagine the friend was not nice when she told you to leave.

Then you say, "I was telling everyone to go to certain levels of Counterweight West, in pairs of two. I knew it would be faster. I had done it before." Did ask your brothers friend if she wanted to know how to do the dungeon faster or did just tell everybody what to do as the quote suggests you did? If you simply started telling people what to do I would get mad too and I am an adult.

"So, I got annoyed. I began to not like her. What's her problem?" Put yourself in her shoes, she asked a friend for help, had someone just join in with out asking and then that person started telling everyone what to do. She got annoyed at you. Had you met her before?

In the future you might want to ask if it is ok if you join and to ask if the person needing help would like to hear a way to do the dungeon more quickly. It shows respect for others.

I have no doubt you both were less than stellar.

If I am wrong about your actions please tell me. I will offer new advice based on how and where you correct me.

Megan