Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Combat Pets (give/take)

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Next Generation Pets
Advanced Pets

* All pets are level restricted. You must be a minimum of lvl 60 to equip

* All pets are school exclusive

* All pets amplify their school's "specialty"... for a price

* All pet's innate spells/abilities become active at Adult

LIFE | Panda Bear
May cast Spirit Armor on all friends

Pros:
* Absorb 400 damage to all friends
* This is not a talent slot ability. This is innate in this pet type. You will still be able to train the usual 4 talents to epic

Cons:
* Panda needs to borrow some of your powers to get in "the zone". Incoming/Outgoing Healing boost reduced by 25% while equipped
(If your stats are below 25% to begin with, equipping this pet will bring you to 0%)

DEATH | Voodoo Doll
May cast permanent weakness on 1 enemy

Pros:
* Target will have damage reduction of 15% for the remainder of the duel, or until defeated. This is not a charm, or something that can be cleansed away
* This is not a talent slot ability. This is innate in this pet type. You will still be able to train the usual 4 talents to epic

Cons:
* The doll gives off a toxic, malevolent vibe when it's at work. Owner loses 85hp per round. Effect cannot be removed or reduced, and will not break any shields. Your life simply lowers each round, until opponent is defeated

(If enemy that is cursed is defeated, health drain stops)
(Pet will not recast again for duration of duel)

MYTH | Gargoyle
Gives 1 card @ adult (4 pips)
Removes all blades from 1 enemy, and converts all their shields to Myth traps

Pros:
* All shields converted, not just Myth shields
* Removes all blades from target

Cons:
* Gargoyle's got you feeling good. Like you're unstoppable. Like this battle will be a walk in the park. After spell is cast, all blades and shields in your spell deck will be 'grayed' out, for 3 rounds
* This includes TC blades and shields

BALANCE | Jackal
30% reduction in Power Pip chance to all enemies, for 3 rounds

Pros:
* Lots of baby pips for those that stand in your way
* Not a global spell. Bubble wars will have no effect

Cons:
* Jackal is a bit new to this whole 'manipulating the universe' thing. When the spell is cast, all/any blades on caster are randomly distributed to opponent(s), and all school specific shields on caster become Prisms. Tower shields removed.

FIRE | Lion
Gives 1 card @ adult
Casts Wyldfire, followed by Smoke Screen. Wyldfire lasts 4 rounds (4 pips)

Pros:
* The strength of the Lion sets the battlefield ablaze. Wyldfire cannot be overridden by another global spell, for 4 rounds
* Casts Smoke Screen once initially

Cons:
* It takes a lot of effort to tame, and keep a lion. You've been looking tired lately. Health reduced by 200hp when pet is equipped

ICE | Arctic Fox
May cast Steal Ward, and replace with Ice trap

Pros:
* Will remove 1 shield from a random opponent, and replace it with an Ice trap

Cons:
* Fox is a quick, mischievous little guy, and just as quickly as he steals your opponents defenses, he may indulge in yours.
30% chance incoming heal is "taken" by Fox, resulting in a 0hp heal for Owner

STORM | Thunder Cloud
50/50 chance of increase or decrease of Damage, every round (10%)

example: You have 85% damage normally. Every time a round begins, you could either have 95% damage, or 75%.

Pros:
* Like tossing a coin, it may be possible to have +10% for 2 rounds, maybe 3... 4?

Cons:
* Like tossing a coin, it may be possible to have -10% for 2 rounds, maybe 3... 4?
* Owner will not know whether their damage is higher, or lower when round begins

(This ability is not a card, or 'may cast'. It is a constant battle effect when pet is equipped. You will be able to train the usual 4 talents to epic)

Defender
Aug 22, 2010
Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
The cons on most of these outweigh the pros. Take for instance:

loki1201 wrote:
LIFE | Panda Bear
May cast Spirit Armor on all friends

Pros:
* Absorb 400 damage to all friends

Cons:
* Panda needs to borrow some of your powers to get in "the zone". Incoming/Outgoing Healing boost reduced by 25% while equipped
(If your stats are below 25% to begin with, equipping this pet will bring you to 0%)
Healing is the big thing for life. Reducing their healing boost by 25% is hurting one of their specialties.

loki1201 wrote:
DEATH | Voodoo Doll
May cast permanent weakness on 1 enemy

Pros:
* Target will have damage reduction of 15% for the remainder of the duel, or until defeated. This is not a charm, or something that can be cleansed away

Cons:
* The doll gives off a toxic, malevolent vibe when it's at work. Owner loses 85hp per round. Effect cannot be removed or reduced, and will not break any shields. Your life simply lowers each round, until opponent is defeated

(If enemy that is cursed is defeated, health drain stops)
(Pet will not recast again for duration of duel)
A permanent weakness sounds too powerful to me. Also, who wants a pet that damages the owner of all people?

loki1201 wrote:
MYTH | Gargoyle
Removes all blades from 1 enemy, and converts all their shields to Myth traps

Pros:
* All shields converted, not just Myth shields
* Removes all blades from target

Cons:
* Gargoyle's got you feeling good. Like you're unstoppable. Like this battle will be a walk in the park. After spell is cast, all blades and shields in your spell deck will be 'grayed' out, for 3 rounds
* This includes TC blades and shields

BALANCE | Jackal
30% reduction in Power Pip chance to all enemies, for 3 rounds

Pros:
* Lots of baby pips for those that stand in your way
* Not a global spell. Bubble wars will have no effect

Cons:
* Jackal is a bit new to this whole 'manipulating the universe' thing. When the spell is cast, all/any blades on caster are randomly distributed to opponent(s), and all school specific shields on caster become Prisms. Tower shields removed.
...I'll admit, these two are not too bad.

loki1201 wrote:

FIRE | Lion
Gives 1 card @ adult
Casts Wyldfire, followed by Smoke Screen. Wyldfire lasts 4 rounds (4 pips)

Pros:
* The strength of the Lion sets the battlefield ablaze. Wyldfire cannot be overridden by another global spell, for 4 rounds
* Casts Smoke Screen once initially

Cons:
* It takes a lot of effort to tame, and keep a lion. You've been looking tired lately. Health reduced by 200hp when pet is equipped
Once again, who wants a pet that damages the owner (or in this case, takes away stats)?

loki1201 wrote:
ICE | Arctic Fox
May cast Steal Ward, and replace with Ice trap

Pros:
* Will remove 1 shield from a random opponent, and replace it with an Ice trap

Cons:
* Fox is a quick, mischievous little guy, and just as quickly as he steals your opponents defenses, he may indulge in yours.
30% chance incoming heal is "taken" by Fox, resulting in a 0hp heal for Owner
I'm an ice wizard, I never use steal ward, it doesn't seem to help now that I have snow angel. Risking not receiving a healing spell is definitely not worth possibly stealing a ward for free.

loki1201 wrote:
STORM | Thunder Cloud
50/50 chance of increase or decrease of Damage, every round (10%)

example: You have 85% damage normally. Every time a round begins, you could either have 95% damage, or 75%.

Pros:
* Like tossing a coin, it may be possible to have +10% for 2 rounds, maybe 3... 4?

Cons:
* Like tossing a coin, it may be possible to have -10% for 2 rounds, maybe 3... 4?
* Owner will not know whether their damage is higher, or lower when round begins

(This ability is not a card, or 'may cast'. It is a constant battle effect when pet is equipped. You will be able to train the usual 4 talents to epic)
This one's not too bad either, though the idea of a storm cloud as a pet is a bit bland. How about a Triton pet?

You have interesting ideas, but the pros and cons usually don't balance out.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
This seems a bit overpowered, sorry. I like the idea of unique innate talents though.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
This is an amazing idea! If they don't take this, then I don't know what they will. This is an idea beyond most ideas, to be honest.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I like these, except for punishing us for using them, and that's what lowering your hp is doing. Why use something that's going to try to kill you? I wouldn't train or equip it, sorry.

Defender
Aug 22, 2010
I like the idea. For pets, instead maybe:

Ice, barbegazi, looks like a dwarf with a long beard and frost giant clothes
Fire, Cherufe, a humanoid made of magma
Storm, Kappa, looks like a turtle with a dish on its head and a staff
Life, dryad
Death, I am not sure
Myth, griffon
Balance, sphinx

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Hey Dolcoon, thx for reading and replying.
I understand your point of view, and the point of view of everyone else that replied. I appreciate the feedback. I guess if anything, I hope this post can serve as a concept idea. I just kinda like the idea of a give and take.

dolcoon wrote:
The cons on most of these outweigh the pros. Take for instance:

LIFE | Panda Bear
Healing is the big thing for life. Reducing their healing boost by 25% is hurting one of their specialties.

The reason I decided to go with a healing reduction for life, was because this pet will be casting Absorbs on the team, periodically.
So you may feel that a healing reduction is harsh, but remember the team is getting 400hp damage shields. That means less healing needs to be done overall, for the Life Wizard

dolcoon wrote:

DEATH | Voodoo Doll
A permanent weakness sounds too powerful to me. Also, who wants a pet that damages the owner of all people?

I agree, a permanent weakness is powerful. That's why I wanted it only 15%, and to come at the expense of the Owner.
15% is just enough to annoy the opponent, without being completely unfair. Especially since the Death wizard is dropping health for it.

As for 'who wants a pet that damages the owner'? Death is one of the only schools that can easily survive that effect. They are great at healing themselves. So they can counter that negative effect, if played right.

dolcoon wrote:

FIRE | Lion
Once again, who wants a pet that damages the owner (or in this case, takes away stats)?

I agree that nobody would choose to have lower health, but again, it's a trade off.
Having a Global spell up is like a free blade each time you do damage. This one cannot be removed for 4 rounds. So yes, you may be lowering your life, but you gain a spell that can tip a battle in your favor. Give and take.

dolcoon wrote:

ICE | Arctic Fox
I'm an ice wizard, I never use steal ward, it doesn't seem to help now that I have snow angel. Risking not receiving a healing spell is definitely not worth possibly stealing a ward for free.

I see your point with the DoTs. But when I thought of this one, it wasnt so much meant to be a shield breaker, like Angel. The purpose was to randomly take shields from opponents for your own benefit. And throwing in an Ice trap can't hurt either.
As for the heals. I didnt really know what else to do, to take away from them fairly, without going after their resistance (which would be boring).

Anyway, thx for reading. I'm glad you liked some of them. I admit, I'm sure they need a lot of work. I just like the concept of give/take.

Defender
Aug 22, 2010