Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can you really hide your school?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
So we all know everyone has piles of storm shields in their deck right?

So how does a school like storm hide their school in the opening rounds of a fight? Wear fire clothes? Cloak?

The bitter truth: They can't... Under the menu chat system their opponent can click on battle orders and by simply looking at the character picture they can know the school of the opponent before the first round begins.

I would like this changed. Spells like cloak seem kind of useless on blades and traps with a peep hole like this in menu chat. Heavily shielded schools are at a disadvantage because of this. Also in team matches the life wizard can be singled out and killed.

KI pls remove school character pictures from pvp menu chat in battle orders and restore school discreetness in the arena.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
travisAk wrote:

So how does a school like storm hide their school in the opening rounds of a fight? Wear fire clothes? Cloak?

The bitter truth: They can't... Under the menu chat system their opponent can click on battle orders and by simply looking at the character picture they can know the school of the opponent before the first round begins.

I would like this changed. Spells like cloak seem kind of useless on blades and traps with a peep hole like this in menu chat. Heavily shielded schools are at a disadvantage because of this. Also in team matches the life wizard can be singled out and killed.

KI pls remove school character pictures from pvp menu chat in battle orders and restore school discreetness in the arena.
also storms health gives them away 1st turn wich i find is a pain on my storm.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
It is so much easier than that to figure out an opponents school, or rather a neighboring school. If I see health 2800 or under I will assume fire or storm, because that is their general health range. It's really simple unless there is extreme overlap. If I put on all red, removed my frog pet and wore certain gear that put my health just under 3000, you probably wouldn't tell me apart from a fire wizard at all until I attack/blade up, etc. Names may lie, but your health is the real give away.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

I agree with you posting completely, no one should know what you are before or during the match, until you decide to show what school you are.
On Storm, there health is so low, you always know it's a storm, before the match gets into the first turn. Same with Ice, you can tell as soon as you look at the Health. For Fire, Myth, Death, and Balance, it can be a guessing game, and should be that way.

Joe.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2009
for me,i don't plan to dye my clothes any color other than my ice wizard's school because, well, light blue is mt fav color and also since i have a ton of health points, it takes no genius to figure out that my wizard is an ice
the way i try to figure out what school my opponent is to pay attention to how many health points they have, like i said ice is an obvious one and also storm stands out in the health point area so yah its not JUST this "peep hole" that allows people to figure out what school you are, although it does help .......

oh yah, getting back to your topic, a way to avoid this is to not talk out loud, and to talk in a group or to a friend, if one is on your team but, if you're storm its not just this "peep hole" its the health points that make you easy to spot, and ice too

Heather Thunderwraith level 70 Ice wizard

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Most of you guys are missing the point..

At high level PvP where a match develops over time yes everyone uses like gear like waterworks so YES figuring out ones school is relatively easy. At lower levels with wider level gaps and health handicaps for commander gear that line is blurred. Knowing your opponents school becomes far greater of an advantage at these levels.

As it stands right now you can't use cloak on your school blade in the opening rounds because all someone has to do is look at MENU CHAT and under battle orders and it shows your school, without you saying a word. You just wasted a turn.

Storm was an example... Some schools like life have no DOT so school discreetness is more important then to a school like fire who has no problem with shields and cloak would be useful to them if this peephole wasn't available.

Most good fighters know this trick but are quiet about it because they use it to their advantage. I might actually train cloak on my low levels if it was a USEFUL pvp spell like KI stated when they released it but as it stands at lower levels it is a waste of time with this menu chat window into your opponents school

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
travisAk wrote:

Most good fighters know this trick but are quiet about it because they use it to their advantage. I might actually train cloak on my low levels if it was a USEFUL pvp spell like KI stated when they released it but as it stands at lower levels it is a waste of time with this menu chat window into your opponents school

Good points, I agree