Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tribute to the Troops!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
A good idea, to show a tribute to the troops, is for KI, to make camoflauge Battle Dress Uniforms.

You can make BDU's in green and black, or Tan and Beige, or White.

With Military boots and hats.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
darthjt wrote:
A good idea, to show a tribute to the troops, is for KI, to make camoflauge Battle Dress Uniforms.

What troops...US, Canada, UK, etc. This isn't just a United States game.

And though I like the idea, I don't see it fitting in very well in a game about wizards and magic. The Shield of Valor KI gave out last year was a more fitting tribute, I thought.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
RavenLady777 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

And though I like the idea, I don't see it fitting in very well in a game about wizards and magic. The Shield of Valor KI gave out last year was a more fitting tribute, I thought.

U.S., Canada, UK, etc? You really think that the United States is the only Country that pays tribute to the men and women that serve and protect their country?

Most military, if not all, wear some bearing of the Battle Dress Uniform.

How is this fitting in a game about wizards and magic? Have you seen celestian gear, zafarian gear? I did not say, bearing machine guns or anything. Some, actually like the looks of military uniforms, such as some of the ones found in DragonSpyre.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I'd like to keep world issues out of the game if you don't mind. I go to Wizard101 to clear my head and escape the world; I don't want to be reminded of it by some wizard walking around in camouflage.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
darthjt wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

U.S., Canada, UK, etc? You really think that the United States is the only Country that pays tribute to the men and women that serve and protect their country?

Most military, if not all, wear some bearing of the Battle Dress Uniform.

How is this fitting in a game about wizards and magic? Have you seen celestian gear, zafarian gear? I did not say, bearing machine guns or anything. Some, actually like the looks of military uniforms, such as some of the ones found in DragonSpyre.

It's obvious you feel strongly about this.

I did not imply that it's only US that honors our military. My statement was that all countries with the ability to play the game have different uniforms.

I am entitled to my opinion, however and do not agree that there is a place in this game for this aside from the characters created by KI who have a reason to be in military uniforms (starting in Krok).

Thank you.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'd like to keep world issues out of the game if you don't mind. I go to Wizard101 to clear my head and escape the world; I don't want to be reminded of it by some wizard walking around in camouflage.

Perfectly said
I agree, 100%

Champion
May 03, 2011

Seconded.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I concur. I think camo is a bit too real-worldy. Also, we're already paying tribute to our armed forces. The Valor sword, the statue, and the Shield. But, I wouldn't say no to a wizardly way to grant tribute. Maybe a wand or staff with a medal on it, to commend our troops for their bravery.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Perfectly said
I agree, 100%

I agree too.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

So, you go on and complain against this, but don't mind the commemorative statue? Especially with the clicking 'X' feature to say a line for all of the people that fought in the wars, while the army costume/gear would be looks and no words.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
I concur. I think camo is a bit too real-worldy. Also, we're already paying tribute to our armed forces. The Valor sword, the statue, and the Shield. But, I wouldn't say no to a wizardly way to grant tribute. Maybe a wand or staff with a medal on it, to commend our troops for their bravery.

That sounds like a good idea, but hopefully KI doesn't make it some lame wand that pretty much everyone's outgrown. In my opinion, that'd be a much more effective sell than a statue that sits in your house collecting virtual dust.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Also very good way to commend our troops, thanks for offering other ideas.

What I don't understand, to the people that want to disagree and say, this game is an escape from the real world, there are jeans and rock T-shirts, there are some forms of military gear in them, then there are outlandish and very ugly outfits. I don't see how having camouflage gear in this game is such a horrible or mind blowing idea. Maybe we should all get clown gear and really escape all reality.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2011
Well heck, I suppose that means we shouldn't celebrate Christmas, Saint Patrick's Day (Of all days), or even Halloween, if that's the case. I'm not saying I don't go on the game to clear my head either, but don't totally knock the idea. I think maybe the colors could be adapted to whatever country you are from. I agree that we are giving a tribute, with the shield, statue, etc. But to just completely shoot the idea down, is just a bit one sided. I do agree with you guys, but at least think about the idea, instead of immediately saying no to it. Like I stated before, then maybe we shouldn't walk around with Clover leaves as wands, or Silent Night caps for Christmas, pumpkins at our houses for Halloween. I have friends and family who are in the Military, a Father who is retired from it, a deceased Grandfather who was in WW2, etc, so I really don't have an opinion here. I'd go with whatever they decided.

But then again, who am I to even say anything when they won't listen to MY ideas?!? lol......Like, Kings Isle, we REALLY need more pet names. This is getting ridiculous now. I'm running out of names for the numerous pets I get through card packs, drops, etc.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
What I don't understand, to the people that want to disagree and say, this game is an escape from the real world, there are jeans and rock T-shirts, there are some forms of military gear in them, then there are outlandish and very ugly outfits. I don't see how having camouflage gear in this game is such a horrible or mind blowing idea. Maybe we should all get clown gear and really escape all reality.

That's not the point. Yes, there are many different outfits in the game, but none really remind me of war. It'd be really strange seeing people walking around in camouflage or military uniforms, and in the likely case that these outfits become popular I'd rather Wizard101 not start looking like Call of Duty.

@MedievalManor: Please tell me you're not serious. How can you possibly compare holiday apparel to military uniforms?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
darthjt wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Also very good way to commend our troops, thanks for offering other ideas.

I think the matter is that camo just isn't too wizardly. If it were another game, like SWTOR, Free Realms, then I could see it. But this is a magic type game, not space age like SWTOR, and not sort of, well, mixed up, as Free Realms. Thus the staff idea. In addition, maybe a set of gear, perhaps called Armor of Valor, could be Warlord-like gear but with a medal on it. A whole Valor set, collectable in a dungeon, could be a good update for the game.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, but hopefully KI doesn't make it some lame wand that pretty much everyone's outgrown. In my opinion, that'd be a much more effective sell than a statue that sits in your house collecting virtual dust.
Lol, guess we could get out our virtual vacuum cleaners to clean off our virtual statues. And maybe it could be a wand appearance. There is Wand Stitching now, after all.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
ok well, every veterans month they give us a statue or give us something free. how long have you been playing? a month?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
That's not the point. Yes, there are many different outfits in the game, but none really remind me of war. It'd be really strange seeing people walking around in camouflage or military uniforms, and in the likely case that these outfits become popular I'd rather Wizard101 not start looking like Call of Duty.

Technically, Darthjt's idea is just modernizing what's already in the game. The Dragon Hoard and Raven's Hoard packs already feature similiar military uniforms from long ago (European Knights), while much of the Grizzleheim and Wintertusk gear resembles war attire of Norsemen between the 8th and 11th centuries.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
advtech wrote:
ok well, every veterans month they give us a statue or give us something free. how long have you been playing? a month?

The Initiate said to the Legendary...

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
if you dont have it already there are the memorial statues and the shield of valor to honor the militaries.

if you want to honor them then make a special room for them as my Rowan the Legendy Pyromancer did.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
kingurz wrote:
Technically, Darthjt's idea is just modernizing what's already in the game.

Which is exactly what's wrong with this idea. Not only would I not like a visual reminder of the world we live in in a game I use to escape from it, but this game isn't supposed to be "modern".