Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shatter Being Changed

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
How many of you experienced pvp players have seen this? You go second in a match and you see the opponent blading up and you can already tell whats coming. the simple and ridiculous blade up shatter and one-hit kill strategy. this strategy does not require any judgement (not the spell) , adaptation or skill at all. and yet its guaranteed a kill from first. yes, it only works from first and it is just the problem of first that allows this to happen, but this problem can be solved without ranting about changing the battle system. My opinion is that shatter should be changed to 2 pips and should only take 2 shields. this is still not a bad change to the spell as now myth can use a single power pip too use it. It also allows pesky school shields such as glacial shield and such to be removed whole but yet can still be countered other than the current shatter. I wanna know who supports this change or likes the current shatter?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
I do not support this. Shatter is fine as is, and not every school does use that strategy. Mainly it is used by Ice, Storm, and Balance. Not to mention the effects and repercussions from PvE.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, here is my problem.

Instead of asking for a solution, or creation of a spell to counter shatter, people ask to change it or have it removed.

You could have asked for a spell that protects shields and blades from shatter and earthquake, rather than ask shatter to be changed, could you not?

I can't stand it when people want to change spells because of PvP.

You say, you see it coming, well, if you seen it coming, why did you not cast a shield? Your oppenent casted shatter, removed all your shields, lost 3 pips, you are 2nd, but you seen it coming and casted a shield. Hmmm, wow, what a concept.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
LiquidCarbonite wrote:
How many of you experienced pvp players have seen this? You go second in a match and you see the opponent blading up and you can already tell whats coming. the simple and ridiculous blade up shatter and one-hit kill strategy. this strategy does not require any judgement (not the spell) , adaptation or skill at all. and yet its guaranteed a kill from first. yes, it only works from first and it is just the problem of first that allows this to happen, but this problem can be solved without ranting about changing the battle system. My opinion is that shatter should be changed to 2 pips and should only take 2 shields. this is still not a bad change to the spell as now myth can use a single power pip too use it. It also allows pesky school shields such as glacial shield and such to be removed whole but yet can still be countered other than the current shatter. I wanna know who supports this change or likes the current shatter?

I think shatter should be a myth only spell, in fact to make the game about skill more spells need to be used only buy that school. what makes myth special is not traps or blades, big hits. but tricks to get around. the amulets and tc have taking what makes myth special and gave it to the other schools in effect made them super powerful on hit kills.

the problem just changing this spell still leaves a weakness in myths spell line up. to be honest shatter is a spell weak for myth players are they already have many double combo hits.

Myth has taking a beating in the pvp world bad. they have stun and everyone shields from it and it leaves a stun black after you hit. come on stun is not really a stun at all. let's be honest here. they player can not cast sure but that is it. he can dump cards look for a treasure and be ready the next round. that already happens in the game when you do not get a card to play that is weak. myth has attacks with stun only.

so before myth takes more spells to weaken their already weak line up.

let's give them something usefully. like a 4 pip spell that removes shields and leaves double plus 25 traps.

or to be able to block weakness, the fire -90 is over the top. in fact fire has the best spells in game I made one because I was sick of what was going on with myth. but in the end I got more mad.

so taking a long break to see how this plays out at KI.

I long time player migth not be coming back ever, if some blance and understanding is not made here.

but yes shatter in the hands of other schools is just to much and way to easy to win the game with no skill at all.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Best fix: Make shatter treasure cards "No PvP."

Con: Balance will become negative in the school hierarchy.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
LiquidCarbonite wrote:

LC,

You already know that I support this idea 100%, and I have a level 70 Myth.

Joe.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Instead of asking for a solution, or creation of a spell to counter shatter, people ask to change it or have it removed.

You could have asked for a spell that protects shields and blades from shatter and earthquake, rather than ask shatter to be changed, could you not?

You say, you see it coming, well, if you seen it coming, why did you not cast a shield? Your oppenent casted shatter, removed all your shields, lost 3 pips, you are 2nd, but you seen it coming and casted a shield. Hmmm, wow, what a concept.

the reponse is flawed, seeing it coming and use as a treasre does not give you a chance to shield. you might be able to put up one but that is not enough.

shatter to make it a easy change should be a none tc, but then you would see how myth a myth uses it witch is not much as it really does not help them like it does other wizards.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:

so your even saying shatter is more effective for other schools than myth, I have a big problem with shatter as a myth player who is coming close to never playing again after almost 5 years of this game.

the idea that a spell makes other schools more powerfull than the school it comes from is just wrong. shatter turns other schools into one hit kills of the school of orgin.

it in effect hurts myth more than helping it, sure it helps it die! lol.

this was a bad choice of a spell for any wizard school. myth spells have become weak in the hands of myth and they are a school of second like life.

for the record I would tell any new player to not become myth schools as you will become upset once you under stand what the other schools have.

myth was a great school when all schools went to lvl 50! after that it has been down hill bad.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
darthjt wrote:

ok that is not what i meant by seen it coming. what i meant is you know exactly what they are gonna do. NOT when they are gonna do it. Dont tell me that only a few schools do it because i have seen every school take part in this, and sometimes one shield doesnt even help. one person i faced did this with chimera. and now let me ask you how many times have you been able to overcome this with your shield idea?

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
Solstice64 wrote:

this is not really the best idea either you see shatter make just unbelievable in pvp (talking from experience ) hehe so honestly i think my idea is just better. it may weaken myth line up but in team pvp it could be really helpful for removing multiple shields at a time for a single power pip

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
and people please just say if you like the idea or not and if not why. because most of the otehr stuff has been discussed

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Shatter is easily dispelled with a Myth dispel for 2 pips, if you're prepared for it in advance :)

Of course, as a PvP noob, this is just my Conjuress's humble opinion.

Qbb/Alexandria

Armiger
May 10, 2010
No, I don't like the idea and here is why.

Why don't we take all spells and make them school only?

No Satyr unless you are life, no Rebirth, no Unicorn, no Triage.

No Feint unless you are death, no Infection, no Plague, no Virtulent plague.

No Tower shield unless you are Ice, no Steal ward.

No Elemental and Spiritual blades unless you are balance, no Helping or Availing hands, no Weakness.

No Smoke Screen unless you are fire, no fire elf, no stun all.

No Cleanse charm unless you are storm, no disarm.

Every and all schools have spells that help them and also hinder them at the same time. You want a perfect example? Storm has Supercharge! A possible 14 pip blade, can be removed by a 1 pip disarm spell.

My point, to all of you whom are complaining about shatter, is not to change the spell, not to make it myth only, those are complaints for people that would rather complain than have a strategy, and a challenge, which I understand, most of you don't. Most want an easy win, no skill, no work involved.

My suggestion, as all things in this game, if there is an attack, or a spell, there is a counter to it. Everything in this game has an opposite. For weakness, there is cleanse charm, for Black Mantle, there are accuracy spells, for traps, there is cleanse ward, for shields, there is pierce or shatter. This should be no different, for shatter or earthquake, there should be a resistance or block to save your shields and blades.

Another thing I want to point out to all the people posting that say, this needs to be changed. There is a Myth spell, myth's have it for free, it can be bought at a certain library, or even trained. This spell is called Vaporize. I suggest, if you don't want to be shattered, especially by other schools, you put one of these spells on your opponent.

Enough said.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
darthjt wrote:

No Elemental and Spiritual blades unless you are balance, no Helping or Availing hands, no Weakness.

Every and all schools have spells that help them and also hinder them at the same time. You want a perfect example? Storm has Supercharge! A possible 14 pip blade, can be removed by a 1 pip disarm spell.

My point, to all of you whom are complaining about shatter, is not to change the spell, not to make it myth only, those are complaints for people that would rather complain than have a strategy, and a challenge, which I understand, most of you don't. Most want an easy win, no skill, no work involved.

My suggestion, as all things in this game, if there is an attack, or a spell, there is a counter to it. Everything in this game has an opposite. For weakness, there is cleanse charm, for Black Mantle, there are accuracy spells, for traps, there is cleanse ward, for shields, there is pierce or shatter. This should be no different, for shatter or earthquake, there should be a resistance or block to save your shields and blades.

Another thing I want to point out to all the people posting that say, this needs to be changed. There is a Myth spell, myth's have it for free, it can be bought at a certain library, or even trained. This spell is called Vaporize. I suggest, if you don't want to be shattered, especially by other schools, you put one of these spells on your opponent.

Enough said.
lol i thought you were going to ignore everything i just said till the end problem with vaporize. Most people who know they wanna shatter are not dumb they carry myth wands enough said.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
btw darthjt the part about when you said its just for the people who want to win with no skill.... thats the whole point of this post to make sure people cant do that

Survivor
Aug 07, 2011
queenlybluebean wrote:
Shatter is easily dispelled with a Myth dispel for 2 pips, if you're prepared for it in advance :)

Of course, as a PvP noob, this is just my Conjuress's humble opinion.

Qbb/Alexandria

finally some one using their brain!
its so simple it called dispells!
and if you ask me efreet is worse then shatter
also if they go first they shatter your shields and then since your second you can shield on the turn they shatter so this is simple
c'mon guys use you brain!

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:

most people want it changed so it will not be a easy kill.

people want stragety having a flawed shatter is not stragety, but a weakness in the spells here!
lets make a point, a vaporize spell will be used once then gone while shatter will fizzle and go back into deck how is vaporize a defense. this point is a fact all you are doing is slowing down your death one round or untill you run out of vaporize cards.

this is nightmare I'm just glad more wizards are not doing this in arena as you would see people quitting like crazy.

it is a big problem, you can not stop it until it is changed.

it is a spell that makes other schools more powerful than the school it comes from.

I have a question are you even myth?

Enough said.

the problem with what you say here is simple if they are using a TC card shatter and you have a Vaporize card. you use it your vaporize card goes away while shatter goes back into your deck and can be used the next round this can keep going untill you run out of cards, that is a flawed point.
that fixes nothing but shows how bad this is at this point.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Enough said.

-----------------------------------------
Hi Darthjt,

Not "enough said" yet, by me anyway....... :)

Here is where I disagree, I think the change would make it harder and more of a challenge, based on this idea in the original post.

"My opinion is that shatter should be changed to 2 pips and should only take 2 shields. this is still not a bad change to the spell as now myth can use a single power pip too use it"

I do think that the numbers need to be changed, and I do think that 2 pips for all shields is a bit unfair. Example - 10 turn and 20 shields for the cost of 1 power pip.
I agree with the idea of a change to this one spell, none others.
1 pips for 3 shields is something like I would like to see, or some ratio close to that.
Plus add to this that Earthquake says it will only remove Positive, but it removes all Negatives also. It certainly doesn't do what the card says it will. Still, I have no problem with Earthquake the way it is.

It's clear that few really like the spell in the game, here or on central.
I know you have little respect for Central, but they do have a large group over there.
I have a Myth, and I don't use the spell, and I know the reply, why would I limit myself. The rules are the rules, and it's allowed, so why not use it.
I know that, but it's less of a challenge when you use it..... so I take my lost battles and grin.

Finally, I don't want to see Treasures removed from PVP, as if they did, that would be my last day. What they have banned is enough, no more need to be done. But, if everyone keeps screaming about Shatter, it will finally be banned. I don't want to see that, and I think the above suggestion by LiqCarb is not a bad idea at all. It would certainly be far better than another TC banned.

Joe.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Enough said.

Hi Darthjt,

Here is where I disagree, I think the change would make it harder and more of a challenge, based on this idea in the original post.

"My opinion is that shatter should be changed to 2 pips and should only take 2 shields. this is still not a bad change to the spell as now myth can use a single power pip too use it"

I do think that the numbers need to be changed, and I do think that 2 pips for all shields is a bit unfair. Example - 10 turn and 20 shields for the cost of 1 power pip.
1 pips for 3 shields is something like I would like to see, or some ratio close to that.
Plus add to this that Earthquake says it will only remove Positive, but it removes all Negatives also. It certainly doesn't do what the card says it will. Still, I have no problem with Earthquake the way it is.

I know you have little respect for Central, but they do have a large group over there.
I have a Myth, and I don't use the spell, and I know the reply, why would I limit myself. The rules are the rules, and it's allowed, so why not use it.
I know that, but it's less of a challenge when you use it..... so I take my lost battles and grin.

Finally, I don't want to see Treasures removed from PVP, as if they did, that would be my last day. What they have banned is enough, no more need to be done. But, if everyone keeps screaming about Shatter, it will finally be banned. I don't want to see that, and I think the above suggestion by LiqCarb is not a bad idea at all. It would certainly be far better than another TC banned.

Joe.

hey Joe, you have some valid points but I want to point a few things out.

to say "What they have banned is enough, no more need to be done" is not a good answer it is simple no one can perdict the future.

to make cards none TC would make wizards need to learn and make a choice of what spells they carry, that would make the game harder.

to pick the strongest wizard and take the spells from the crafty wizards aka myth, takes away what myth has to offer as a myth. the same can go for life and death.

there are many flawes in shatter, the biggest is it use from none myth wizards. aka you vaporize he shatters he fizzle his card returns to deck your card gone until you reshulle, he shatters again your dead.

changing a spell to make the school that it comes from more effective should not be this hard. all other schools can use shatter more effective than MYTH. it makes no sense as to why a school would make such a spell.

TC use is a big problem in it's form. it needs to be looked at.
I think if a wizard trained in aka life then he or she should be able to cast life as they took the time to learn the schools spells. but for a wizard that did not train in that school, they should not have the advantge of using schools spells they did not learn. the spell should be weaken or backfire.

the system of tc cards is flawed. it that area.
what is the point of training points if you can get tc cards of more power?
none. so why pick a myth wizard with low health and weak damage when you can go a diffrent school and use the myths spells that made myth great?

makes you wounder...

I can go on forever here, my problem is I have put over 4 years into my myth wizard. since lvl 50 the top it has been down hill.
the game had a near perfect suystem then. now I see people yelling, saying nasty things and taking advantage of a broken tc system.

I hope someone understands this point.

I would not want things changed if I was not a myth wizard and cared so much about myth in the first place.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
To those saying, if you cast vaporize and they cast shatter, their spell goes back in their deck and you lose your spell. Well, you lost 2 pips, they lost 3. Also, you can carry more than 1 vaporize in your deck. Actually, in all fairness, you can carry more vaporize if you train it and have tc versions. So, if you are that worried about shatter, do what you have to, to defend yourself from it.

Secondly, to those that say, the people that wanna use shatter, simply have a myth wand. Well, if that is the case, they are also losing out on critical block, take advantage of what you are given. So, you cast vaporize and they use a myth wand to get rid of the dispel, it happens, happens with life dispels, happens with most dispels, get used to it.

Changing shatter. Interesting Idea, but 2 shields for 2 pips is way too underpowered. 4 shields for 2 pips is almost adequate. 6 shields for 2 pips is about what it should equal out to. Like Joe said, 1 pip for 3 shields is not bad, if this is what we changed it to. However, if the spell was changed, would this seriously make a difference? or would it make it easier to use the spell. I think it would make it easier to use the spell, so why even make the change.

Also, for those worried about wands for vaporize, cloak the dispel. This game has so many options. With all the possible DoT's most schools have, the only ones truly affected or that might use Shatter, is Life, Storm, and Balance. Everyone else does not really need to use shatter. Where is Life, Storm, and Balance in the PvP standings? None of them are very high, are they? So, you mean to tell me, that with all the strong powerful spells and DoT attacks, you can't defeat someone because they used shatter on you?

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
sparklebottom wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Enough said.

Hi Darthjt,

Joe.

hey Joe, you have some valid points but I want to point a few things out.

to say "What they have banned is enough, no more need to be done" is not a good answer it is simple no one can perdict the future.

to make cards none TC would make wizards need to learn and make a choice of what spells they carry, that would make the game harder.

to pick the strongest wizard and take the spells from the crafty wizards aka myth, takes away what myth has to offer as a myth. the same can go for life and death.

there are many flawes in shatter, the biggest is it use from none myth wizards. aka you vaporize he shatters he fizzle his card returns to deck your card gone until you reshulle, he shatters again your dead.

changing a spell to make the school that it comes from more effective should not be this hard. all other schools can use shatter more effective than MYTH. it makes no sense as to why a school would make such a spell.

TC use is a big problem in it's form. it needs to be looked at.
I think if a wizard trained in aka life then he or she should be able to cast life as they took the time to learn the schools spells. but for a wizard that did not train in that school, they should not have the advantge of using schools spells they did not learn. the spell should be weaken or backfire.

the system of tc cards is flawed. it that area.
what is the point of training points if you can get tc cards of more power?
none. so why pick a myth wizard with low health and weak damage when you can go a diffrent school and use the myths spells that made myth great?

makes you wounder...

I can go on forever here, my problem is I have put over 4 years into my myth wizard. since lvl 50 the top it has been down hill.
the game had a near perfect suystem then. now I see people yelling, saying nasty things and taking advantage of a broken tc system.

I hope someone understands this point.

I would not want things changed if I was not a myth wizard and cared so much about myth in the first place.
to keep it plain and simple spaklebottom taking TC out of pvp takes out all the skill and leaves it all to chance. you would only be able to hope that you get the card you need at the time you need it. thats why taking out TC is just a bad idea. but i do like the weaken idea. makes me think my idea of shatter should be for the treasure card version, but it would make myth a bit too strong. i have always enjoyed a good shatter then medusa when i was myth and it always pretty much decided the match from their.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
darthjt wrote:
To those saying, if you cast vaporize and they cast shatter, their spell goes back in their deck and you lose your spell. Well, you lost 2 pips, they lost 3. Also, you can carry more than 1 vaporize in your deck. Actually, in all fairness, you can carry more vaporize if you train it and have tc versions. So, if you are that worried about shatter, do what you have to, to defend yourself from it.

Secondly, to those that say, the people that wanna use shatter, simply have a myth wand. Well, if that is the case, they are also losing out on critical block, take advantage of what you are given. So, you cast vaporize and they use a myth wand to get rid of the dispel, it happens, happens with life dispels, happens with most dispels, get used to it.

Changing shatter. Interesting Idea, but 2 shields for 2 pips is way too underpowered. 4 shields for 2 pips is almost adequate. 6 shields for 2 pips is about what it should equal out to. Like Joe said, 1 pip for 3 shields is not bad, if this is what we changed it to. However, if the spell was changed, would this seriously make a difference? or would it make it easier to use the spell. I think it would make it easier to use the spell, so why even make the change.

Also, for those worried about wands for vaporize, cloak the dispel. This game has so many options. With all the possible DoT's most schools have, the only ones truly affected or that might use Shatter, is Life, Storm, and Balance. Everyone else does not really need to use shatter. Where is Life, Storm, and Balance in the PvP standings? None of them are very high, are they? So, you mean to tell me, that with all the strong powerful spells and DoT attacks, you can't defeat someone because they used shatter on you?
First of all what kinda shield spammers are you facing that they actually have six shields on them! your supposed to constantly keep your opponents shields to a minimum in pvp not let them get SIX SHIELDS!

The problem with that shield ratio of 1 pip for every 3 shields is there would be no point in shielding if three turns worth of my work in shielding would be gone in one turn.

Cloaking is ridiculous first of all if i got a cloaked negative charm on me i would think its either a weakness a dispel or an infection. there are several ways to remove all of these. the easiest if you dont have time cleanse charm simple no pips and ready to kill next turn.

Yes, changing the spell does make it easier to use the spell thats what i was going for i just wanna make it less lethal.

One more time the part that i am worried for in shatter is that one simple strategy that EVERY school can use.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2009
LiquidCarbonite wrote:
darthjt wrote:

First of all what kinda shield spammers are you facing that they actually have six shields on them! your supposed to constantly keep your opponents shields to a minimum in pvp not let them get SIX SHIELDS!

The problem with that shield ratio of 1 pip for every 3 shields is there would be no point in shielding if three turns worth of my work in shielding would be gone in one turn.

Cloaking is ridiculous first of all if i got a cloaked negative charm on me i would think its either a weakness a dispel or an infection. there are several ways to remove all of these. the easiest if you dont have time cleanse charm simple no pips and ready to kill next turn.

Yes, changing the spell does make it easier to use the spell thats what i was going for i just wanna make it less lethal.

One more time the part that i am worried for in shatter is that one simple strategy that EVERY school can use.

you 100 percent right :D

Armiger
May 10, 2010
LiquidCarbonite wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Did you know that Balance shields are 3 shields at 1 time? So that in 2 rounds, you can have 6 shield? Hence the use of shatter. Ever fight Cuthalla? Every time you blade or trap, he gains a shield. Still can't see the uses for shatter as it is?

As far as cloaking goes and cleanse charm, yes, you are correct, it will remove any negative charm on you, same as cleanse ward will remove any trap on you. How can you use one defense for one thing, but it is completely different for the subject you want?

This spell should not be easier for other schools, it removes all wards, which is why 3 pips is a fair amount. If you lower the pips and the amount of shields, you are making a good spell completely useless and why? because you can't or don't want to strategize properly. Sorry, but so far, everything you have said can be countered, just as my reasons can be countered. There is a counter to every spell, you either learn it and use it, or you get hit by the spell. Your choice, but nothing needs to be changed, except peoples strategies.