Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Firearms. (Yes, That Means Guns.)

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
this idea just doesn't fit the theme of this game. the majority of the community are children. i'm a kid myself, and i absolutely disagree with this idea. i come to play Wizard101 to NOT have games with guns. if you are the type of gamer that likes to have guns, cool. but don't bring guns into a game like this! if they put guns in wizard101, i would be pretty disappointed. it's plainly against the carefree and happiness of this game.

Liam Shadow-Legendary Thaumaturge-Lv. 64

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
I don't think firearms should be put into the game simply because it would detract from the classic fantasy setting the game is designed around. It just wouldn't fit the meme, and the main protagonists in the game are all wizards. The players take on the personna of young wizardly students.

Can't recall engaging in any classical fantasy genre which included guns. Closest paradigm that this would come to is steampunk, but that's an apple to this orange.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
joujou11cool wrote:
cjball2018 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
1. A small wand
2. A staff
3. A sword
4. An axe
5. All of the sudden modern warfare?

Wizard101 has the past weapons and takes place in the past if you have not noticed, but you have quite an imagination!

saying again throwing sharp things is worse. causes more injuries then bullets.

That wasn't my point. My point is why would wizards turn from melee weapons and then start using ranged weapons that shoot and then hit the enemy. It wouldn't even make sense swinging a gun to use a spell. Unless the gun has an aura of magic and shoots a magical ray of... magic? Then I'm fine with it. If it's bullets, I wouldn't agree. People don't understand how to make a gun seem fatasized, so they go off and throw negative comments. It would have been better if the OP said that the guns would have a magical aura and shoots magic at the enemy.
The fact is it's a gun. A barrel. A trigger. A scope. All of them aimed at a monster. In which realm is this fantasy? I don't care about the ammo. Or any auras. I stand firmly with not wanting guns in this game.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2012
joujou11cool wrote:
cjball2018 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
1. A small wand
2. A staff
3. A sword
4. An axe
5. All of the sudden modern warfare?

Wizard101 has the past weapons and takes place in the past if you have not noticed, but you have quite an imagination!

saying again throwing sharp things is worse. causes more injuries then bullets.

That wasn't my point. My point is why would wizards turn from melee weapons and then start using ranged weapons that shoot and then hit the enemy. It wouldn't even make sense swinging a gun to use a spell. Unless the gun has an aura of magic and shoots a magical ray of... magic? Then I'm fine with it. If it's bullets, I wouldn't agree. People don't understand how to make a gun seem fatasized, so they go off and throw negative comments. It would have been better if the OP said that the guns would have a magical aura and shoots magic at the enemy.

That is what I am saying not bullets but fireballs or ice balls or something like that or a storm cloud that electrifies the enemy

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Ah yes, point borne out nicely with this flame war as an example. See how much negativity guns spawn among the members of a community?

Bionaknight, Tabby, and the other kind-hearted wizards who have written so eloquently on the topic of why there will never be guns in the Great Spiral:

I plan to do my part to let this thread die. But before I go, I wanted to thank you for watching my back against a certain troll bent on insulting me at every opportunity in this thread. (I think it was that joke about the NRA in the Spiral that he can't overcome :) I also thank you for being the kind of neighbors I would be proud to have IRL and in the Spiral.

Those of you who want guns in this game: It saddens me to know that you aren't able to enjoy a wonderful family game such as Wizard 101 in its gun-free awesomeness. I'm so sorry that you need to empower yourselves with guns in every facet of your lives.

Queenlybluebean/Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/Alexandria/Taryn/Rowan

Why are you so offensive to people that want guns? (I don't) But seriously, you don't have to act like a gun is a major threat to the world. The major threat to the world is the stupidity of creating a weapon to kill. As Darthjt said, a gun doesn't kill, a person does. Just answer this:
If someone shot a person in the back and killed the person, and he goes to court and the judge asks: What reasonings did you have to kill this man? Would you just reply and say: Oh no, my gun killed him, not me. Is that really a legit answer that a judge would take and call the person innocent and then give a life sentence to a gun? My answer is no, because a gun cannot move without having a force pushing at it. What's your answer?

Defender
Aug 22, 2010
I agree, their should be know guns. However, a bow and arrow wouldbe stylish, with a quiver on your shoulder

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I used to play a game that had a fun cartoony (almost childish) feel to it. Many teenage remembers started suggesting things like guns. An update to the game brought guns, lazer shooting robots, cards, etc.

The game lost its fun feel to it, and started to feel dark. I quit becuase it started to feel like I was playing Modern Warefare, not some fun cartoony game. Whether guns are appropriate for kids or not, it WILL have a negative effect on the game.

If you like guns so much, go play a game with guns, but don't tailor this game to be more mature themed, becuase it isn't mature themed (which is why many people play it.)

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
gatorjaw wrote:
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?
KI, you disappoint me. Posters, you anger me.

I think you don't understand in your little brain that Wizard 101 is a FANTASY game. FANTASY is not REAL. It is a fun game where we all go to play and cast spells and do quests and get away from the bad things in the world. Of course we don't have flying carpets, magical swords, and panthers you can put a necklace on and they'll obey you, that's what makes Wizard 101 fun, because it has things we cant do IRL. If you're too blind sided to see that, then you need to go back to school.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?

I think you don't understand in your little brain that Wizard 101 is a FANTASY game. FANTASY is not REAL. It is a fun game where we all go to play and cast spells and do quests and get away from the bad things in the world. Of course we don't have flying carpets, magical swords, and panthers you can put a necklace on and they'll obey you, that's what makes Wizard 101 fun, because it has things we cant do IRL. If you're too blind sided to see that, then you need to go back to school.

Lol, you obviously weren't educated well enough. You didn't catch the history in each world, did you? Look in the map: Africa, England, Egypt, China, Northern Hemisphere or Antarctica. Even some places that people believed were real: Atlantis. Or even just a simple belief: People believe in magic. They also believe in witch-craft and warlocks and even wizards. Some of these, may be myths. But to some, it's real. Tell me now, is Africa, China, Antarctica, England, or Egypt fake? Look at a map, please tell me they're fake. Seriously, you thought that wizard101 doesn't take anything from the real world. I'll explain to you more:
Celestia uses Roman ranks, Zafaria uses African language and the NPC's represent the animals that live in Africa, in Krokotopia they have ancient stones and was it and hyroglyphs?; Dragonspyre believe it or not uses England as its representative, I forgot to mention Scotland did I? Well, that's real, is it not? Now let's get to the simpler facts:
Our wizards are humans, their houses look like real human houses, their tents look like tents, they include fires, they include and represent each school by how the real element is, they have books, the pigs are pigs. Now, they do personificate the creatures, making them have human characteristics. Also, there were bandits in Scotland I'm pretty sure. So, who's the one that needs to go back to school? Gatorjaw or you?

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
darthjt wrote:
tabby714 wrote:
Would the situation been any different if the person was holding a knife, axe, grenade, or rocket launcher?

Would the gun go off by itself and kill you? No, it would not. So, therefore, the adage that guns don't kill people, people kill people is true, no matter if you like it or not. A gun is not going to walk up to you and decide to go off because it does not like you, no, it take a person to pull the trigger.

None the less, guns do not belong in Wizards, so I am not sure why you are so upset at an adage that is absolutely true. No matter what situation you have possibly been in.

Please. Read my comment in detail. Of course guns are inanimate objects. I am taking exception with the way the "adage" (it's not an adage, btw.--an adage sets forth a generally-accepted truth. This statement does not fit the bill, since it's a controversial opinion) is used to justify letting anyone, anytime, have a gun. Context matters here--not sure you understand this? Nuances can be tricky for some people--let me offer another example, following the logic of your "adage":

Yes, like all inanimate objects, guns are morally neutral. Fine. So are nuclear weapons. But we don't let everyone own them. Again, this is off-topic, but if you must argue for argument's sake (and it seems you must), how about this? Let's give everyone a nuclear weapon. Because, you know, they don't kill people by themselves.

Oh, and by the way, look up the stats on gun accidents involving children. Guns that go off "by themselves" in innocent hands.

Not sure why you feel the need to quibble over this, since we agree about the game. Because, as per my last post, I agree that talking about guns isn't the point here--talking about guns in the game is. So let's leave it at that. Unless, you know, you absolutely must have the last word. In that case, go for it. I am done here.

Actaully, my "Adage" is perfectly fine and is an "Adage"

Just because you don't accept it as an "Adage" does not change the fact that it is an "Adage"

Case in point. The second Amendment of The Constitution. The right to bare arms. It is a generally accepted truth.

Nuclear Weapons on the other hand, have a great many other possible side effects. Radiation and other biological hazards, which is why the general public is not allowed to have these items. They are not for self preservation. A "Nuke" would not preserve you at all, it would obliterate not only everyone around, but you included, unless you have a rocket, but that is another topic altogether.

I don't have to have the last word, but I don't like being told that I don't know the differences in things. Especially, when I am correct on my correlations.

Thank you and enough said.

Before I go into this post, my position is no, guns should not be in a kids game. The reason is what guns symbolize. Guns are signs of violence. Uh, in a game where there are unicorns, do you really want guns? I read a lot of fantasy, and the big cliche` is humans lost magic because they came to using tech. We come from a world where they don't believe in magic, no?

Anyway, back to the quote. Yes, guns are inanimate. But it's a lot easier to have an accident with a gun than a wand. IMHO.
Not that I don't comprehend nukes and whatnot, the concept is not very kid friendly. Again, unicorns, yes, nukes, no. You'll also notice that while we have blades (*cough* my fave wand KI *cough) we don't run across the duel circle and stab our enemy. We cast and magic pixie dust comes out to do the dirty deed. Um, if my mom came into the room and saw me waving around an AK-47, I would never get to touch a computer again. Not at the top of my "Yay, I wanna!" list.

Yeah, I keep one.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

Lol, you obviously weren't educated well enough. You didn't catch the history in each world, did you? Look in the map: Africa, England, Egypt, China, Northern Hemisphere or Antarctica. Even some places that people believed were real: Atlantis. Or even just a simple belief: People believe in magic. They also believe in witch-craft and warlocks and even wizards. Some of these, may be myths. But to some, it's real. Tell me now, is Africa, China, Antarctica, England, or Egypt fake? Look at a map, please tell me they're fake. Seriously, you thought that wizard101 doesn't take anything from the real world. I'll explain to you more:
Celestia uses Roman ranks, Zafaria uses African language and the NPC's represent the animals that live in Africa, in Krokotopia they have ancient stones and was it and hyroglyphs?; Dragonspyre believe it or not uses England as its representative, I forgot to mention Scotland did I? Well, that's real, is it not? Now let's get to the simpler facts:
Our wizards are humans, their houses look like real human houses, their tents look like tents, they include fires, they include and represent each school by how the real element is, they have books, the pigs are pigs. Now, they do personificate the creatures, making them have human characteristics. Also, there were bandits in Scotland I'm pretty sure. So, who's the one that needs to go back to school? Gatorjaw or you?
So, magical spinoffs of real life locations means guns are logically fantasy weapons how, exactly?

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

So, magical spinoffs of real life locations means guns are logically fantasy weapons how, exactly?

I was pointing out the reality of wizard101, and how it takes ideas from reality. The gun, I'm pretty sure the person that came up with the idea wanted it to be a magical aura gun, so that would make it fantasy. If you disagree to that, then explain the swords.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

I was pointing out the reality of wizard101, and how it takes ideas from reality. The gun, I'm pretty sure the person that came up with the idea wanted it to be a magical aura gun, so that would make it fantasy. If you disagree to that, then explain the swords.
Knights use swords. Knights in shining armour are fantasy. Ninjas use swords. Ninjas are fantasy. Soldiers use guns. Soldiers are real. Criminals use guns (not to compare criminals and soldiers). Criminals are real. Wizards are like knights and ninjas: Fantasy. We use staffs and wands and magical glowing swords. A gun, no matter how much you sugar-coat it, is still a gun. Does that explain it?

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

Knights use swords. Knights in shining armour are fantasy. Ninjas use swords. Ninjas are fantasy. Soldiers use guns. Soldiers are real. Criminals use guns (not to compare criminals and soldiers). Criminals are real. Wizards are like knights and ninjas: Fantasy. We use staffs and wands and magical glowing swords. A gun, no matter how much you sugar-coat it, is still a gun. Does that explain it?

actually both knights and ninjas were real but very little is known about either so thats why fantasy is usually paired with them.
but i would like to say guns im sorry but think of a 5 year old okay?he plays w101 and he sees the gun and because he doesnt know any better gets it.now he is fighting a villian and his dad comes in and sees him with the gun he asks his son what hes playing the boy says w101 and the dad tells the mom and the mom tells all her friends about w101s new violence.it will probs get on the news and then no more ki or anything like that.now im trying to be kind so plz just think of the little kids (which make up almost half the members probably),

Survivor
Aug 08, 2009
i'm a kid. my mom would be so angry id she saw me with a gun.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
7starfairy wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

actually both knights and ninjas were real but very little is known about either so thats why fantasy is usually paired with them.
but i would like to say guns im sorry but think of a 5 year old okay?he plays w101 and he sees the gun and because he doesnt know any better gets it.now he is fighting a villian and his dad comes in and sees him with the gun he asks his son what hes playing the boy says w101 and the dad tells the mom and the mom tells all her friends about w101s new violence.it will probs get on the news and then no more ki or anything like that.now im trying to be kind so plz just think of the little kids (which make up almost half the members probably),

The gun wouldn't shoot bullets, and would have a school colored aura on it. That's what I would say I'm fine with. (I'll probably end up stitching to a level 45 sword because they look epic).

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
7starfairy wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

I was using the fact that there are often fantasy stories about Knights and Ninjas, a good amount of knowledge is known of them, actually. Glad to know you agree with us though.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2009
Survivor
May 11, 2010
If their were any guns in Wizard101 I would be spending like over $400 dollors for nothing because all I ever played were gun games then I found this and this game changed my life because when i found this game I stoped playing gun games and I got less vilont :D THANK YOU KI!!!!!!!!!!!!
So thats why I dont ever want this game to have guns.
If this game has guns I will never play this game EVER and I would spend
over $400 dollors and 2 years FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!

Austin Level 58 Fire Wizard

Realm: Phinox

See you online :D

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
gatorjaw, you can't post a topic on the wizard101 forums and expect everyone to agree with you. so please don't argue with people when pretty much everyone says no to your idea...we all have our opinions~

Liam Shadow * Legendary Thaumaturge * Lv. 69

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
you do realize that little six year olds play this game right? think! if a kid has a gun on a game, think of what that kid might be doing irl? now if it was a 13 and older site that would be different but we don't want any kid having a shoot out now do we? that would be sad so don't do it :x

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
joujou11cool wrote:
7starfairy wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

The gun wouldn't shoot bullets, and would have a school colored aura on it. That's what I would say I'm fine with. (I'll probably end up stitching to a level 45 sword because they look epic).
A gun is still a gun. I will not change my point of view on this. If it has a trigger, a scope, a barrel, and explosion-propelled amunition, it's a gun. I don't care if the ammo is jelly donuts, a gun has no place in this game. Wizards use magical swords and wands, not flintlocks.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
A gun is still a gun. I will not change my point of view on this. If it has a trigger, a scope, a barrel, and explosion-propelled amunition, it's a gun. I don't care if the ammo is jelly donuts, a gun has no place in this game. Wizards use magical swords and wands, not flintlocks.

Don't forget...they also use Bows that shoot magical arrows and huge battle axes.

Oh, and lollipops too!!!

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

A aura gun? the only thing i can think of since i play CoD is a ray gun.