Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP ARENA IS UNBALANCED

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
Seems like everytime i go and sign up for a pvp battle, lets say me and the other guy on my team are lvl 13, yet the people who are fighting against us are lvl 40!! Why is this? Can't you make things more balanced? Oh and when i lose connection from what appears to be your malfunction, it still has me online yet i cannot see any shield or life meter ! I was hoping to find a place to report bugs but it's too much work. I know of ALOT of bugs that are current and have been for about 4 months now. why do you never fix them?

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
I am just as upset as you are but give them time to fix these issues. Remember that PvP was really an after thought and going to need time to work thru the bugs.

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
fiestywench wrote:
Seems like everytime i go and sign up for a pvp battle, lets say me and the other guy on my team are lvl 13, yet the people who are fighting against us are lvl 40!! Why is this? Can't you make things more balanced? ...

There are controls that you can set to limit the level of the competitors you have in a PvP battle. Usually within 5 levels is fine in most cases.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
as far as controls to set so that they are within 5 lvls seems to only be in practice mode. I am talking about ranked pvp matches. And another about ranked PVP , i also do not like the fact that you can only auto join them, unless you create a friends ranked battle. Unless i am missing something?? I do not see any other controls that would make ranked matches fair.Within 5 lvls would be perfectly acceptable to me , yet here i am lvl 16 up against a lvl 40. And this has happened many many times. Plus i should not really care sine the gear obtained from the tickets you recieve is horrible! even the highest priced ones are not better than what you can buy with gold or crowns.

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
PvP an afterthought? From the crew that brought us Shadowbane? Ahh I doubt it. Was it ready at release no, but I doubt it was unplanned from the start.

(By the way I was a big fan of Shadowbane and was sorry to see it go, big ups to you guys for the forward thinking on that game.)

We have put up a few good filter ideas for PvP hopefully one of them will make it in game.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Why is there not a moderater for the Arena? Yeah the matches may take longer but they would be fair and a lot more fun. I really don't enjoy fighting in a match that I know I'm going to lose because the people I'm fighting at 10--15 levels higher then me. A 5+ or - level restriction would be great. Please think about this KI

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
i have a grandmaster and i agree i come across a lower level and find myself letting them take thier best shot. I want to fight but its not fair so i give them a chance to take me out while i spend time setting up.

but in the end i win nothing to brag about. Yet on the other hand i have beat grandmasters when i was lower level who under estimated me. So it can work both ways.

But maybe there should be a away to hit draw. So that neither wins in this case just a thought i honestly am not into pvp that much to care.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I wholeheartedly support adding a +/- 5 level filter to ranked battles. Nothing more frustrating than entering a battle only to find you have no chance of winning! This would also speed the matching process, since much time is now lost waiting for teammates and opponents to agree to go in.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I so agree with this. I love pvp but I am still learning and I find I learn nothing if i am taken out in just a couple of rounds LOL

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
How to fix PVP.

1) Agree with the level filter, this is a big one.

2) The chatting in arena needs to be removed, the people that play begging for you to lose so they can get crowns or armor or whatever is so annoying

3) The pass button removed. Or only allowed three passes, numerous matches lost due to someone passing because they want to where you down on annoyanceis just out of control because you did not forfit the match because they asked you to.

Level the Treasure cards to apporiate levels someone at level 6 using a dragon card is way over the top!

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
I agree that there should be a level filter, but removing chat and the pass button is just ridiculous. I have never had anyone tell me to just lose so they can get crowns, and sometimes passing is the only thing you can do.

I must definitely agree that treasure cards should have a level limit on them. I myself never use treasure cards in the arena because i like to rely on my own skills as a wizard not on a spell given to me. In my mind it just seems like cheating to do that.

I have currently quit playing ranked matches for this very reason, and will most likely not return until something changes.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
Pippster wrote:
How to fix PVP.

1) Agree with the level filter, this is a big one.

2) The chatting in arena needs to be removed, the people that play begging for you to lose so they can get crowns or armor or whatever is so annoying

3) The pass button removed. Or only allowed three passes, numerous matches lost due to someone passing because they want to where you down on annoyanceis just out of control because you did not forfit the match because they asked you to.

Level the Treasure cards to apporiate levels someone at level 6 using a dragon card is way over the top!

There is already a button in the option menu to turn off chat. So try that if you do not want to listen to whiners and beggers. :)

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I do not think I explained very well so let me clarify.

I have the screen shots of numerous fights but I do not know how to locate them or post them but if the Headmaster wishes to see them all he has to do is ask and show me how to get them.

Here how it works the “Person” enters the arena and starts begging then he begins to pass over and over and over more than 6 times in a row, then I begin to threaten if he does not play I will report them and I tell them I have the conversation on screen shot, they then finally begin to to play. It has gotten to the point where this is the occurrence every other match.

The other reason for setting the the amount on the pass is when you have such a great battle and end up in a stalemate, and you end up standing there and playing the pass game for hours, to me this is ridicules and needs some more thought on how to resolve it.

Thank you Yankees I will have to look at that, I love this game and love the arena a lot but just some of these fixes would be so welcomed. :D

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
My complaint is when I first played pvp I lost. Found out I only won 3 tickets and my ranking went down. I was upset. Why does the ranking go down?

Also it was 2 vs 2 battle. I don't want to play 1 vs 1 in case I lose. I notice the health is not even. I think the health should be even, otherwise it's not fair.

Also, i fizzled a lot. I think I'm going to save the 1 vs 1 battles for my friends as long as they don't get rid of me from list if they lose. Only for the ones I'm friends but not best friends with. Best friends I'll have for the other battles.

Maybe I should join other battles just in case but ask first before I join. I'm a magus, but it would be useful to check health of opponents before you accept them.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
Though I do agree that the PvP arena has a lot of annoying parts to it, I don't think you are choosing the right ways to fix it.

First of all, if there is a limit on levels it will take a lot longer than it already does. I have waited an entire hour to get a 2v2 match and even longer for a 3v3 and 4v4. I do not want to have to wait even longer for a match. But I do understand where you are coming from. It is dissappointing to get a level 3 when you are level 42. I do beleive there already is some sort of filter on it already, however. When I was a Magus I always seemed to get other Magi... now, when I am a Master, I get other Masters. This has proven to be a problem though, because that includes level 48s with their new spells and Grandmasters. If there is only about 5, perhaps a 10 difference in the levels, then it would not be so hard.

Maryanne20 wrote:
My complaint is when I first played pvp I lost. Found out I only won 3 tickets and my ranking went down. I was upset. Why does the ranking go down?

It is supposed to work like this. Why wouldn't it? If you win, you will find that your ranking will once more rise. The ranking is to show how much the opponent wins or loses. That is the only reason it is there, as far as I know.
Also it was 2 vs 2 battle. I don't want to play 1 vs 1 in case I lose. I notice the health is not even. I think the health should be even, otherwise it's not fair....Maybe I should join other battles just in case but ask first before I join. I'm a magus, but it would be useful to check health of opponents before you accept them.
This could be a problem. The reason would be the fact that ice wizards have high health and storm wizards have low health. Who knows? A poor Adept Thaumaturge may get stuck in a battle with a Master Diviner. That is why this should be paired up by level, not health. These two would be about even in health, I believe. Therefore, the Master could use Stormzilla and defeat the Adept whose highest spell is probably Ice Wyvern.

Pippster wrote:
Here how it works the “Person” enters the arena and starts begging then he begins to pass over and over and over more than 6 times in a row, then I begin to threaten if he does not play I will report them and I tell them I have the conversation on screen shot, they then finally begin to to play. It has gotten to the point where this is the occurrence every other match.

You shouldn't be threatening anyone, no matter what. This is not a reason to report someone. It may be annoying to find someone who doesn't want to duel, but that is their choice. Tell them to not do PvP if they won't be dueling. And besides, you can't get Crowns for a PvP match. You should explain that to them as well. Besides, what if you can not use any spell, or the time limit runs out? Then what would happen?
I don't really know what to say to this one. This is hard to decide upon. I think I will lead this matter to someone else... I am neither for it or against it. I enjoy using treasure cards above me on my lower characters, but don't like it when others use them on me.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Doubt anyone will read all this...

~Sierra Winterbreeze, Level 42 Thaumaturge

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
Yes, I think we can all agree that the arena is somewhat unbalanced. It has its bugs and it can stand to be tweaked. I am sure that KI is aware of that and is working on ways to resolve the situation. That being said, I have a few thoughts on the subject.

It may be unbalanced but when you enter a match, its not your rank or your level that wins the match. What does win it is how well the cards fall that you have and how well you play what you are dealt. I have seen level twenty wizards beat grandmasters simply because their cards fell for them and the masters did not. Everyone seems concerned with ranks and levels but seem to forget that the whole thing pivots on your own deck and wits and not what level you are.

Should there be something done about chat in the arena? I feel strongly that there should be. I tire of entering an arena and listening to the vulgar and inappropriate language used within the match. I do believe that KI is working on a way to report players who do so within the matches, and as far as reporting players for not fighting within a match, that is simply looking for an excuse to report someone. Why would KI do anything about that as long as no inappropriate language is used or they do not break any of KI's rules. I do not remember the "Players who do not battle in the arena need to be reported." rule. Did I miss something there? They don't want to battle then remember who they were and do not join in a match with them. Report the players who need it and stop looking for excuses to report players. I am sure that KI will thank us all for "unclogging" their report files and they can do something about the other issues that need addressing instead.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I have to interject. There is alot that is pivoting on wits and luck of the draw, but my last four matches have been with people who have nearly doubled my level. When they have a four or five pip spell that is either my health or close to it, wits has nothing to do with my ability to win. I can turtle on with fairies and ghouls, but I'm going to constantly be losing ground in a fight where if the person decided to weight a few turns they could crush me with a single spell.

I know KI is going to be working on this, but there really does need to be a max difference in levels. Bringing in my level fifteen storm mage and seeing someone in dragonspyre gear isn't fair, regardless of how the cards fall. Triple my hit points and the ability to drop ice collusus on me. The fact that the match lasted as long as it did I think was because the guy restricted the spells he'd hit me with.

I agree Rank isn't important, because it just means they have a good stragedy, or have had alot of easy fights. That you could fight through, 2600 hp vs. 760, much harder to just push through.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
PvP is broken in Wizard 101.

Matching is horrible as many have posted before me. I would rather wait an hour to get someone close to my level then get match after match of people 10+ levels higher than me and can 1 hit kill me, a storm wizard. This should be on top of the list as things to fix/add rather than stupid housing. ugh. Another thing is the imbalance of treasure cards. People that have played longer have access to higher level treasure cards and friends that can trade with them to their lower end wizards effectively "twinking" them in the arena. This leaves the newer players at an unfair disadvantage. Treasure cards should be blocked from the arena.

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
BlindingShade wrote:
fiestywench wrote:
Seems like everytime i go and sign up for a pvp battle, lets say me and the other guy on my team are lvl 13, yet the people who are fighting against us are lvl 40!! Why is this? Can't you make things more balanced? ...

There are controls that you can set to limit the level of the competitors you have in a PvP battle. Usually within 5 levels is fine in most cases.

You obviously don't use the Ranked matches because the choosing is ONLY for the Practice. In Ranked this is the process: Going in the system - Finding teammates - find opponents - Decline or Agree - BOOM! You are in the battle. You can't really choose. You just get signed up with some person that you don't know the level and you play. Maybe they should have some controls.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
I really would like to see something happen about the matchups in pvp. My level 36 wizard has done about 8-9 1v1 fights, and 6-8 of those have been against level 45+ wizards. I am proud to say that he has won all but one of them, but it really isn't fair that your pvp rank drops by 14 when you lose, no matter WHAT you're up against. Also, your pvp rank only goes up by 14 when you win, doesn't matter if you beat a grandmaster or a novice.
KI, maybe only people within 10 levels could battle you? I feel that if it was a 5 level limit you'd wait forever for a match, and someone that's 10 levels higher than you you still have a chance of beating them.
Thanks for your time.
Duncan Earthtamer
Level 36/Mastermind

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
I like the part where you fight in teams and the team that gets to go first wins because they have a myth wizard use a souped up earthquake and then the rest use their souped up hit all enemy spells. What a fun way to lose.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
I could see a 10 level limit being reasonable.

My 17th level player reached Knight ranking ... about 2 out of every 3 battles for him is against level 40+ players. Which means I keep dropping back down a arena ranked level as they pummel me with bladed/trapped/area effeted Triton and Heliophants ... really not many answers for me ... maybe once I can dodge the bullet ... but my deck just has a hiccup once and I've taken more damage than my total health.

I don't mind a challenge at all ... but facing almost impossible odds is not that fun.

As a caveat ... I'd also be fine if the game made it a 15 level limit for any player with any Crown purchased (but not Arena ticket) items. That would make it so that if you had money to make your player tougher you have to play a bit more with the big boys.

GalakSS

Survivor
Mar 19, 2009
The ranked PvP is an open tournament format. Just as in Tennis and Golf, anybody can join an open tournament, meaning that you will have to face the "Big Dogs".

If you don't like being an inferior player, go into the quest game and work on becoming a level 48+, that way you can hold your own against anybbody in the game.

Survivor
May 07, 2009
Tovenaar wrote:
The ranked PvP is an open tournament format. Just as in Tennis and Golf, anybody can join an open tournament, meaning that you will have to face the "Big Dogs".

If you don't like being an inferior player, go into the quest game and work on becoming a level 48+, that way you can hold your own against anybbody in the game.

I totally disagree with this one, filter PvP per level range so that everyone
can play period.