Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trying to Fix the Equipment System

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
I'm Daniel SoulWalker, a level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer, and so I like to go to the Bazaar to get new equipment. After level 20-ish though, the Bazaar never had what I want. At first, I thought, "Oh, it's just this once" but then it kept happening every time I had leveled up 5 levels and could get new gear. I always seem to be ten or fifteen levels above my gear, and the game just isn't as fun when you don't have the right equipment for where you are. Currently, I am using level 35 gear! It is very hard to get from world to world when you're using gear that is not your level. Some of you probably are saying that I should farm right now. I personally hate farming as it takes WAY too much time and i also hate the No-Auction label, cause usually all the best stuff is No-Auction, which basically means Farming Only. Plus, usually the bosses have all the good equipment, and bosses take a lot longer to beat then regular enemies, so that's a good chunk of time wasted. (Especially if the boss is in a dungeon) Not to mention that some bosses, especially ones with high health, are tiring and boring to fight over and over and over. I do have a couple ideas to solve this though:

1. Remove the "No Auction" label. The best gear usually has this label, and since everyone wants the best gear, I don't see why KI is worried about everyone having the best gear, because then when you level up you get new gear and sell the old stuff. Plus, everyone would want it, so you would still have some challenge getting it, just not as irritating of a challenge. Not to mention the audience of Wizard 101 are all either working or in school, so we have other stuff to do then fight the same boss over and over and over, and when bosses can drop over 50 different items and you only want one, it's going to take a lot of time to get it.

2. Make the bazaar have every item in the game. Don't skip this, I have a way to balance it out. Some of you are probably thinking, "That would make the game way too easy". Not if the prices are raised. If the bazaar is the only place that has everything, maybe the prices should be raised, since I have also noticed that when you can't get equipment, you get a lot of gold in your pocket. The other day I had to buy a Dark Redwing (Perm) mount to empty out my wallet, and I still had 100,000+ gold. Not to mention this would make crafting quests way easier - today I spent about 30,000 gold getting Diamonds and a whole bunch of other reagents for some crafting quests, and I had to switch the tabs from reagents to pet snacks to make sure I got the reagents I wanted.

3. My personal favorite idea is to make a new equipment-getting system. After you beat an enemy, you choose what you want from them out of the different items they have. You could still make rare items rare, if you're thinking that's a problem - have the game have a certain percentage that you can choose a rare item, like 10 or 5%, or maybe include a puzzle to open a box with the rare item. Also, to avoid people taking everything an enemy has and selling all of it for lots of money, only allow us to get 2 or 3 per enemy, and maybe around 5 for a boss. That's only for equipment though. You should automatically get gold, and be able to pick however many reagents they have, but the enemy should only have a certain amount of reagents that they carry, so you could only get what you want out of that.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea, a bad idea? Do you know any way to get good equipment besides the bazaar and farming? Please comment!

-Daniel SoulWalker, Level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
Planeswalker1 wrote:
I'm Daniel SoulWalker, a level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer, and so I like to go to the Bazaar to get new equipment. After level 20-ish though, the Bazaar never had what I want. At first, I thought, "Oh, it's just this once" but then it kept happening every time I had leveled up 5 levels and could get new gear. I always seem to be ten or fifteen levels above my gear, and the game just isn't as fun when you don't have the right equipment for where you are. Currently, I am using level 35 gear! It is very hard to get from world to world when you're using gear that is not your level. Some of you probably are saying that I should farm right now. I personally hate farming as it takes WAY too much time and i also hate the No-Auction label, cause usually all the best stuff is No-Auction, which basically means Farming Only. Plus, usually the bosses have all the good equipment, and bosses take a lot longer to beat then regular enemies, so that's a good chunk of time wasted. (Especially if the boss is in a dungeon) Not to mention that some bosses, especially ones with high health, are tiring and boring to fight over and over and over. I do have a couple ideas to solve this though:

1. Remove the "No Auction" label. The best gear usually has this label, and since everyone wants the best gear, I don't see why KI is worried about everyone having the best gear, because then when you level up you get new gear and sell the old stuff. Plus, everyone would want it, so you would still have some challenge getting it, just not as irritating of a challenge. Not to mention the audience of Wizard 101 are all either working or in school, so we have other stuff to do then fight the same boss over and over and over, and when bosses can drop over 50 different items and you only want one, it's going to take a lot of time to get it.

2. Make the bazaar have every item in the game. Don't skip this, I have a way to balance it out. Some of you are probably thinking, "That would make the game way too easy". Not if the prices are raised. If the bazaar is the only place that has everything, maybe the prices should be raised, since I have also noticed that when you can't get equipment, you get a lot of gold in your pocket. The other day I had to buy a Dark Redwing (Perm) mount to empty out my wallet, and I still had 100,000+ gold. Not to mention this would make crafting quests way easier - today I spent about 30,000 gold getting Diamonds and a whole bunch of other reagents for some crafting quests, and I had to switch the tabs from reagents to pet snacks to make sure I got the reagents I wanted.

3. My personal favorite idea is to make a new equipment-getting system. After you beat an enemy, you choose what you want from them out of the different items they have. You could still make rare items rare, if you're thinking that's a problem - have the game have a certain percentage that you can choose a rare item, like 10 or 5%, or maybe include a puzzle to open a box with the rare item. Also, to avoid people taking everything an enemy has and selling all of it for lots of money, only allow us to get 2 or 3 per enemy, and maybe around 5 for a boss. That's only for equipment though. You should automatically get gold, and be able to pick however many reagents they have, but the enemy should only have a certain amount of reagents that they carry, so you could only get what you want out of that.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea, a bad idea? Do you know any way to get good equipment besides the bazaar and farming? Please comment!

-Daniel SoulWalker, Level 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer

I've found that unlike all the other worlds, celestia, wintertusk, and zafaria vendors have better equipment for better prices. I'm lvl 67 ice and still use a lvl 58 robe from a celestian vendor that gives 300+ health 17 resistance 13 ice attack 10 critical+block and 2 accuracy. I even prefer this to my waterworks robe due to the resistance. So just wait until you get to celestia then you'll get great gear without farming!