Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quick kills or dragging things out, confused

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 11, 2012
I am a level 26 storm/life and I am really confused by the large number of spells available and wonder if I am doing something wrong.

I have 14 cards in my deck and NO wand. One heal, 6 zero pip cards to boost accuracy and damage, and 7 damage of varied pips. All my gear is from quests, nothing fancy. I have fought bosses and soloed dungeons, all I have to do is live through 3 or 4 rounds and 1 shot whatever I am fighting. Yes, I am hurting at the end but I am alive (not by much sometimes) and it is fast and efficent. Because of small setup and no wand I get the cards I want almost everytime.

I am just confused why I would need all the defensive shields and wands and other stuff that gets in the way. I understand the idea more pips equals more exp but is there another reason I should incorporate defense into my play style?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
643932 wrote:
I am a level 26 storm/life and I am really confused by the large number of spells available and wonder if I am doing something wrong.

I have 14 cards in my deck and NO wand. One heal, 6 zero pip cards to boost accuracy and damage, and 7 damage of varied pips. All my gear is from quests, nothing fancy. I have fought bosses and soloed dungeons, all I have to do is live through 3 or 4 rounds and 1 shot whatever I am fighting. Yes, I am hurting at the end but I am alive (not by much sometimes) and it is fast and efficent. Because of small setup and no wand I get the cards I want almost everytime.

I am just confused why I would need all the defensive shields and wands and other stuff that gets in the way. I understand the idea more pips equals more exp but is there another reason I should incorporate defense into my play style?

I like to keep wands in my deck in case I need them to break the -50%, or the -25%, and things like that, so that I don't waste my bigger hits.

And sometimes the enemy ends up with just a little bit of life left, and the wand will finish him off. :?

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
It's not of the highest importance for Storm at the moment, because like you said, you just have to wait a few turns and then can take out the enemies in one big blast. Once you get to higher worlds, however, you will need some defense in your strategy. This is because, higher worlds contain harder enemies which equals more health per enemy. Schools will need more damage to defeat these. Storm will be able to still take these guys out in one hit, yes, but strong spells need more pips, and more pips means more waiting. This allows much more time for the enemy to attack you. Once you get to higher worlds, it becomes nessecary for you to include some defensive strategies. It simply means adding more 0 pip defense spells such as sheilds into your strategy or using more traps and blades to power up smaller spells. You probably will want to take out the strong attack spells, add in weak ones for longer battles, and find a way to figure out this strategy before you realize you need it too late.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Well, at later levels, you'll run into monsters that hit HARD (as in hard enough to knock out the squishy, low-health storm wizards with ease), as well as bosses that will cheat whenever they see their chance to.

The shields are a worthwhile investment if you are going up against monsters that you know you have to defend yourself against (the 10,000 damage meteor from Briskbreeze Tower (accessible at level 50+) comes to mind). It is also useful if you need a short timeout while gathering pips.

Wand spells are also useful - also partially because the wand adds a pip/power pip, and later on critical and block - as you can use a wand to break a Tower Shield on an enemy without having to sacrifice your blades and damage.

You will also later on meet enemies with a LOT of health, and you might require several attacks on that enemy before it succumbs.

In short, you need to be versatile. It's even more important for other classes, who don't have the massive amount of damage at their disposal as Storm does. Sometimes, you need to bring a Prism. Other times, you need Tempest; while at other times, Triton or Stormzilla does a better job.

It's a good idea to carry a small deck, so that you can quickly find your spells. But it is often a very good idea to plan ahead, adjust your deck according to the situation, and use a round or two to protect yourself before charging at the enemy.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
643932 wrote:

defense can save your live
my storm does the following note she is only level 19
first round a shield to block a strike
depending on her pips she switches to a new stradegy
2 pips go for blade
3 pips attack with shark
4 pips hit with storm bats then storm shark

this stradegy is very good and has done lots of fast kills
p.s. when ya use this stradegy and its against a storm enemy swap blade for prism and use blade first round depending on starting pip/pips

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I don't use many defensive spells, either.

An elemental (zero-pip-cost) wand is useful to knock off enemy shields and to discard those cards to draw from the side-board. Also, when you get to level 35 (earlier with Crowns wands), you can get wands that give you an extra pip at the start of battle. At level 45 you can get wands that give you an extra power pip at the start of battle.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Personally I run all my wizards shield-less and have the same idea, stack deck for quick kills and be done with it fast enough to live though it. As fights get a little harder a few more cards may need to be added but not many so you don't run out. I do carry a wand of the opposing school to break ice shields or shields against my school spells. My first wizard I did a secondary school but none of my other ones, with them I just obtain spells from other schools that enhance my school spells.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks all for the information, in short order I have found there would be value in a 0 pip spell to break an enemy shield/tower spell. I just wish they would be like a necklace, one card not six so many cards messes up the draw. Glad to know though things get much more difficult, will have to rotate in the shields to see how much it really changes things. Three rounds using offensive spells or defensive spells is still 3 rounds, will have to see how much it drops damage output.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
its simple

if ya want goods make it fast
go on to next battle

if ya want Xp take your time in the battles
go heal then fight another long battle