Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Some Type of Special Shield for Balance

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 15, 2009
I know that this topic has been discussed MANY times before, and almost everyone knows how almost unfair this is. Even though balance usually uses elemental attacks, what about Ra, power nova, judgement, etc.? Sure, spirit armor and ice armor will protect you, but it costs 3(+) pips. In pvp, i got seriously crushed by some balance guy . His partner had already been defeated but he used Ra on us and we died . We even had an ice armor on the both of us. It was crazy . Post if you agree! :-D

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
zorro11 wrote:
I know that this topic has been discussed MANY times before, and almost everyone knows how almost unfair this is. Even though balance usually uses elemental attacks, what about Ra, power nova, judgement, etc.? Sure, spirit armor and ice armor will protect you, but it costs 3(+) pips. In pvp, i got seriously crushed by some balance guy . His partner had already been defeated but he used Ra on us and we died . We even had an ice armor on the both of us. It was crazy . Post if you agree! :D

You're right about this topic being discussed on many times, but Balance is just the way it is. Balance is powerful but can be crushed too, it just takes time to learn strategy.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
zorro11 wrote:
I know that this topic has been discussed MANY times before, and almost everyone knows how almost unfair this is. Even though balance usually uses elemental attacks, what about Ra, power nova, judgement, etc.? Sure, spirit armor and ice armor will protect you, but it costs 3(+) pips. In pvp, i got seriously crushed by some balance guy . His partner had already been defeated but he used Ra on us and we died . We even had an ice armor on the both of us. It was crazy . Post if you agree! :D

Ra only hits for around 1100 with Gar and good internal boost, after resist. How did you die, what resist do you have 15% or something lower?
Ra is weak compared to Fire (over-round hits), Myth, and Storm.
Balance is at or near the bottom of the list for anything other than 1v1.
Every player has one or two great things about them, but Balance only had one good thing. It has only one shield that can defend it's hits, yes, that is the only one thing that Balance has, nothing else. Yes, it can hit for all schools, but that is so easy to defend against it's not worth even talking about. Plus Judge leaves them defenseless, with no pips at all.

So, I posted, but I completely disagree with you.

Joe,
Ice, Myth, Balance, Storm, Death (all 70), and Life.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2009
zorro11 wrote:
I think it would really help against balance if you had tower shield. It does - 50 percent any element, even balance! :D It's a ice spell and you must be level 16. But you don't have to be ice there's some great advice.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
zorro11 wrote:
Rule number one of PvP: Never go without Tower Shields. Fighting a Balance? Tower Shield! Don't know who that one enemy is? Tower Shield! Low on health? Tower S-uh, maybe then you should actually use Satyr lol.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Sure, you can have a Balance shield...
just as soon as they introduce a Balance only blade.
Sound fair? Good.

Can we seriously put this non-issue to rest already?

So many legit complaints go unnoticed because they get lost in a sea of posts like this.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
zorro11 wrote:

As I've said before, anyone who gets hit with a full-pip Judge is going to whine about it and spam the boards for a shield. If you didn't buff adequately, then you deserve to get hit and I don't feel sorry for you.

I'm sure someone else has already mentioned this, but people forget that Judge leaves the caster at a serious disadvantage- pipless and defenseless- even if they've buffed themselves before. That's why I never let one fly unless I know I have shields etc. in the current hand that I can use to buff while building up my pips again.

Oh, and two words: Tower. Shield.

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

Armiger
May 10, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
Sure, you can have a Balance shield...
just as soon as they introduce a Balance only blade.
Sound fair? Good.

Can we seriously put this non-issue to rest already?

So many legit complaints go unnoticed because they get lost in a sea of posts like this.

How can it be a non-issue, if so many people post about this and there are so many different threads on this topic?

I used to defend Balance. I was in total agreement, that no balance shield was needed. However, now that Armor piercing has been introduced to the game, the time for a balance school specific shield has also come.

When good Balance players actually realize the power of Infallible treasure cards before they attack, the new wand, and a colossal enchantment on their spells, they will truly see the benefits of this new feature and how powerful Balance is becoming without a school shield.

Armor piercing can go through resistance if no shield was present.

People think this is about Judgment, but it's not.

And I can't stand when a Balance player says, after I use Judgment, I am pipless and/or defenseless and/or can't heal.

Most that play pvp have shields, or life mastery amulets, and shields cost 0 pips and pixie costs 2 pips or 1 power pip if you are like most other schools and use a life mastery amulet. Or you have to shield and then use Balance's healing. Or, if you are truly that worried about it, cast your healing before you use judgment, since Balance's healing is a HoT.

A balance shield does not make balance weak by any means, it just means you have to rethink your strategy, or it might not change at all. Some might get this new shield, while others might not.

Also, there is pierce, which allows you to take out a shield for 0 pip cost and or steal ward for 2 pips, or shatter for 3 pips. So many different ways to deal with shields, yet, Balance, for some reason, does not want to deal with a shield like each and every other school has to!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
How can it be a non-issue, if so many people post about this and there are so many different threads on this topic?

Reply, It's a non issue because most schools can beat Balance, it's that plain an simple. I sat down over the last three weekends, when I had the time and watched only Balance vs other school matches. I did not see one match where Balance had an easy win, not one. There is no need for a Balance Shield, and anyone that plays the other schools knows it.
--------------------
I used to defend Balance. I was in total agreement, that no balance shield was needed. However, now that Armor piercing has been introduced to the game, the time for a balance school specific shield has also come.

Reply, not So, Armor piercing helps all schools do the same increase in damage. Why is Balance any different, it's not.
-------------------

When good Balance players actually realize the power of Infallible treasure cards before they attack, the new wand, and a colossal enchantment on their spells, they will truly see the benefits of this new feature and how powerful Balance is becoming without a school shield.

Reply, Well all the other schools seem to be able to use the Tower shield fairly well, why can't you?
--------------------
Armor piercing can go through resistance if no shield was present.

People think this is about Judgment, but it's not.

Reply, oh, it's about Scorpion, Sandstorm, Power Nova, RA, I don't think so. Nothing has changed, except these huge resistance have been dropped a bit. Use your head and find a why around it, that's what you been telling everyone else to do for the past few years.
-------------------

And I can't stand when a Balance player says, after I use Judgment, I am pipless and/or defenseless and/or can't heal.

Reply, well stop reading the post then.
--------------------

Most that play pvp have shields, or life mastery amulets, and shields cost 0 pips and pixie costs 2 pips or 1 power pip if you are like most other schools and use a life mastery amulet. Or you have to shield and then use Balance's healing. Or, if you are truly that worried about it, cast your healing before you use judgment, since Balance's healing is a HoT.

Reply, with the number of Myth amulets in the game today, that means nothing. Shatter is ramped, I see Earthquake on every thrid or fourth player, give me a break.
-----------------------

A balance shield does not make balance weak by any means, it just means you have to rethink your strategy, or it might not change at all. Some might get this new shield, while others might not.

Reply, A balance shield is the most un-needed spell in the game right now.
Try taking down an Ice that has 65 plus resist with your Balance, not that easy, unless you use the expensive Feint strategy. Even then, if the Ice is good, he will walk around it. Try taking down a Warlord Myth or Fire, again I watch most Balance lose to them. In the battles I watched, here is what I saw....
Ice 5 wins, to Balance 1 win. (couldn't watch anymore they take too long).
Fire 9 win, to Balance 1 wins.
Myth 11 wins, to Balance 0 wins.
Storm 1 win, Balance 2 win.
Death 2 wins, Balance 2 wins.
These are facts, and were all level 70 players, Captains to Warlords.
I am convinced after watching and wasting my time, you are wrong.
---------------------------------

Also, there is pierce, which allows you to take out a shield for 0 pip cost and or steal ward for 2 pips, or shatter for 3 pips. So many different ways to deal with shields, yet, Balance, for some reason, does not want to deal with a shield like each and every other school has to!

Reply, nor should they have to deal with anything more than the Tower, Fire, Storm, Ice, Life, Death, and Myth shields. All other schools have ways to take down their own shields and towers at the same time, Frostbit, snow angel, Posion, Shatter and Earthquake (not to mention the double attacks, Fire elf, Link, Life Wand which all life seem to carry, and if you want to add in storm elf, ice elf. Who has no DOT spell, to take out the Fire, storm, life, myth, death, Ice or tower shield (who all block Balance), oh guess who, yeah, Balance.
There are a ton of reason why no balance shield is needed, and not one good one why it should be added.
------------------------------------
If you are losing to a Balance, you better rethink your stratergy.

Joe.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
gabrielstovall wrote:
lol, two spells. tower shield and weakness.

Thank You!
Someone who finally gets it!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
gabrielstovall wrote:

Thank You!

lol, two more spells. Cleanse charm and pierce.

Then to add insult to injury, Infallible and Colossal.

Woah, mega damage on any balance spell lowering resistance and no school shield, while every other school has to deal with school shields and tower...

Maybe one day, people will open their eyes and realize the point.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Darthjt - Quote"Woah, mega damage on any balance spell lowering resistance and no school shield,
while every other school has to deal with school shields and tower...

Maybe one day, people will open their eyes and realize the point."

Darthjt,

Great point, I missed it in the beginning, and your correct, every
other school has to deal with three shields.
(the minus 50, the minus 70, and the Tower, which are the basic ones).

(1) Fire, has an increbibley hard time with shields, wait, oh, I guess not,
they have link, Power Link and Scald (sp?).
But your right on the rest of the schools,...?
Oh wait, (2) Myth, they have earthquake and shatter, and attack over rounds.
So I have drop them from the list also. But your correct on the rest of the schools?
Oh wait, (3)Death has posion, and that can take off shields with no problem at all and do a good deal of damage.
Darn, we gotta drop them from the list too. But your correct on the rest of the schools?
Oh darn it, (4) Ice has Frostbite, so they can take off shields without any problem, and do great damage also. Not to mention they have Ice Elf, which is what I use to use.
So now we only have three left to look at.
Well (5) Storm has Storm Elf, and this work real well, so I guess we gotta drop storm too.
Not to mention that I can drive Storm bat into a shield and still do a reasonable amout of damage for only one power pip. Or I can just send in the Bolt and remove the shield, or just use the wand. So even storm has plenty of ways to remove shields.

Well who's left, (6 )Life and (you guessed it) (7) Balance.
These are the only two schools that really have trouble with Shields.

Life has been given a spell that can shut down healing on 6 of the 7 Wizards,
no question asked.
Plus if used correctly, can easily shut down Balance's healing too.
They have become a real force in 1v1, and every other part of PVP.
I have seen more Life Warlords in the past three monthes, than any other school.
Plus the Amulet of choice for all Life is the Myth Amulet, for Shatter and Earthquake....
(and tell me you didn't know that). Out of all the Life I have battled, just how many have not used Shatter, just one and only one (1)...

Infallible, works for every school and works very well, I can tell you, not just for balance....
so that's a non-issue.

Who is left as the odd man out, Balance. Has no way to take down the Life, Death, Myth, Fire, Storm, or Ice shield. Absolutely No way to do that, what don't you get about that?
They are only left with Scorpian, Sandstorm, and Judge for 1v1. Power Nova and RA are pip inefficient for 1v1, no reason at all to use them, imo.
Scorpion and Sandstorm are great minion killers, but have no hitting power.
Judge, great as a finisher, but when second it's hard and a real gamble to use.
Everyone that I know of, has the Tower, I don't think I have ever fought someone without it.
If I pack in the max number of Towers, and have them in the side, I can shut down the Balance, as they only have so many wands. Oh wow, we have moved into stratergy haven't we..... and
"being prepared for anything"... who keeps saying that????
I do read and learn from you posts.

So I missed the part of trying to open my eyes and realize any point you tried to make.

Soon I will be switching over to PvP with my Death, what nerf will you come up with for him???

Your counter....

Sincerly,
your very best friend, (and don't tell me that I'm not...)

Joe.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
darthjt wrote:
loki1201 wrote:
gabrielstovall wrote:

Thank You!

But any school can take advantage of Cleanse Charm & Pierce to get around shields.
So why are you singling out Balance, suggesting that only they are OP when used right?
If Myth used Pierce w/ infallible & garg, they too could leave a nice dent in the opponent.
So what's your point exactly?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
loki1201 wrote:
gabrielstovall wrote:

Thank You!

But any school can take advantage of Cleanse Charm & Pierce to get around shields.
So why are you singling out Balance, suggesting that only they are OP when used right?
If Myth used Pierce w/ infallible & garg, they too could leave a nice dent in the opponent.
So what's your point exactly?

Because why all the other schools can use these spells also, all the other schools also have 80% shields, 90% shields, 70% shields, 55% and 50% tower shields to deal with, while Balance has only a 55% and 50% tower shield to deal with.

Joe,

Yes, you are correct, all schools have DoT spells, except life and Balance and Storm. While you may or may not count storm elf and storm hound.

However, Balance does have Hydra and Chimera, all of which are multi attacks.

Maybe that is what will be the next rank 10 spell a Balance DoT, who knows.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Quoted from Darthjt: "Because why all the other schools can use these spells also, all the other schools also have 80% shields, 90% shields, 70% shields, 55% and 50% tower shields to deal with, while Balance has only a 55% and 50% tower shield to deal with."

Hi Darthjt, Just wanted to comment on the above item. Yes, fire, Myth, Death, and Ice have these, but they mean little, as they can remove them without any issue, to get in a clean shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted from Darthjt:
"Joe,

Yes, you are correct, all schools have DoT spells, except life and Balance and Storm. While you may or may not count storm elf and storm hound.

Maybe that is what will be the next rank 10 spell a Balance DoT, who knows."

Darthjt, cont...
Balance does have Hydra and Chimera, but they are not dot spells, single hit. A big difference, as a DOT can keep spells off the opponent for thee or four rounds, to get in a shot. Balance had to drive a 9 pip or a 6 pip into shields, at a huge waste of pips. Myth 3 pips to remove every shield, fire has elf for 2 pips, Death 4 pips, and Ice at 2 pips for the elf or 5 pips for real damage in Frostbit. Again, ignoring Life and Storm (but storm does have Storm elf as a low pip cost option), as they have different advantages.

The pip war is critical imo, and if Balance is driving into shields and getting low damage, they are losing it. If they lose the pip war, any good player can put them down.
So while I do like the idea of a Balance 50% shield, how many would anyone use? My deck is packed as is, and I couldn't add it, even if it was released.
Plus another training point, my Death has used everyone available, just to get the basics of what he needs. Plus empower, link, etc all take the Feints out anyways, and they are easy in a TC to keep.
Again, all I'm concerned about is the crew of Balance out in the battlefield now. I believe it would shut most of them down, if used. Then I really do beleive we would have an imbalance in the game.

It may be a good option for certain stratergies, but I only see a few of the Judges/Feints setups being used now. Chimera has clearly become the destructor for Balance, and Judge is now just a follow up spell.
No question at all, Chimera is my prime lead for my ending Combo, simply because I can setup the Blades and still use my Wand.

Level 10 pip spells, we don't need them...... lol, it's hard enough to stay alive as is....

Joe.

Defender
May 29, 2011
If balance had a shield i think that would ruin the fact of it being balance. There like all schools put into one.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Quoted from Darthjt: "Because why all the other schools can use these spells also, all the other schools also have 80% shields, 90% shields, 70% shields, 55% and 50% tower shields to deal with, while Balance has only a 55% and 50% tower shield to deal with."

Hi Darthjt, Just wanted to comment on the above item. Yes, fire, Myth, Death, and Ice have these, but they mean little, as they can remove them without any issue, to get in a clean shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted from Darthjt:
"Joe,

Maybe that is what will be the next rank 10 spell a Balance DoT, who knows."

Darthjt, cont...
Balance does have Hydra and Chimera, but they are not dot spells, single hit. A big difference, as a DOT can keep spells off the opponent for thee or four rounds, to get in a shot. Balance had to drive a 9 pip or a 6 pip into shields, at a huge waste of pips. Myth 3 pips to remove every shield, fire has elf for 2 pips, Death 4 pips, and Ice at 2 pips for the elf or 5 pips for real damage in Frostbit. Again, ignoring Life and Storm (but storm does have Storm elf as a low pip cost option), as they have different advantages.

The pip war is critical imo, and if Balance is driving into shields and getting low damage, they are losing it. If they lose the pip war, any good player can put them down.
So while I do like the idea of a Balance 50% shield, how many would anyone use? My deck is packed as is, and I couldn't add it, even if it was released.
Plus another training point, my Death has used everyone available, just to get the basics of what he needs. Plus empower, link, etc all take the Feints out anyways, and they are easy in a TC to keep.
Again, all I'm concerned about is the crew of Balance out in the battlefield now. I believe it would shut most of them down, if used. Then I really do beleive we would have an imbalance in the game.

It may be a good option for certain stratergies, but I only see a few of the Judges/Feints setups being used now. Chimera has clearly become the destructor for Balance, and Judge is now just a follow up spell.
No question at all, Chimera is my prime lead for my ending Combo, simply because I can setup the Blades and still use my Wand.

Level 10 pip spells, we don't need them...... lol, it's hard enough to stay alive as is....

Joe.

To put it mildly Joe, if you want, you can cast rank 1 spells at the shields you are trying to get rid of, or cast fire elf, storm elf, ice elf, Death Bats, or just cast Shatter. Balance has the same issues as everyone else, however, if elemental shields are present and no spiritual shields are, Balance can attack using Chimera. If Spiritual shields are present, but no elemental shields are present, Balance can use Hydra or Spectral Blast. If Elemental and spiritual shields are both present, Balance can simply use a Balance attack.

Now, everyone keeps insisting that Balance loses more power because of these shields? Lets see if you can explain why?

Ok, lets begin.
1. Take their best attack and enchant it with colossal, then use infallible. Now take that up against say, 50% resistance.
2. Now do the exact same thing, except have it resisted by tower shield.
3. Now do the exact same thing, except have it resisted by school shield.
4. Now do the exact same thing, except have it resisted by tower and school shield.

If you figured it out correctly, Balance has quite the advantage.

Now, you say that Balance has to deal with other shields. Balance is at close to 100% ppc, if not over. Spectral Blast is 2pp or 4 pip spell, And randomly uses an attack, so, it might be shielded, and might not be. Which is also a very handy way of taking out shields. (Is that not what everyone said about Wild Bolt? 2 pip spell that can do 10 damage). 4 pips, but a whole lot more damage.

So, while people want to see things through shaded glass, because they dont want to see the clear and truthful picture of where the game is headed and what is needed to keep balance, balanced.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
A balance shield is needed, along with everything else (a balance specific blade, bubble, 4pip and 6pip spell, etc.) and the reason is not becuase balance is OP (or UP.)

-From a Fellow Balance Wizard

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:

If you figured it out correctly, Balance has quite the advantage....

So, while people want to see things through shaded glass, because they dont want to see the clear and truthful picture of where the game is headed and what is needed to keep balance, balanced.

I personally don't argue that Balance has advantage in that department. I'm sure KI intended to have Balance have less shields to deal with (or more options anyways). I believe a Balance shield instantly removes that Balance only advantage. I also understand how armor piercing scaling will increase Balance's damage. So is the issue Balance needs a Balance shield or should Balance be the lowest school in terms of armor piercing percentage as future gear becomes available (like storm being the lowest in terms of health). Because as Joe pointed out, the only thing that has changed recently is the introduction of armor piercing.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
darthjt wrote:

If you figured it out correctly, Balance has quite the advantage....

I personally don't argue that Balance has advantage in that department. I'm sure KI intended to have Balance have less shields to deal with (or more options anyways). I believe a Balance shield instantly removes that Balance only advantage. I also understand how armor piercing scaling will increase Balance's damage. So is the issue Balance needs a Balance shield or should Balance be the lowest school in terms of armor piercing percentage as future gear becomes available (like storm being the lowest in terms of health). Because as Joe pointed out, the only thing that has changed recently is the introduction of armor piercing.

Good points Kingurz. I guess we wont know until new things, gear, spells, etc are released. Time will tell the true tale.