Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Compression compression compression...

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Ugh, I'm tired of my enormous decks. The best way to balance out my large decks is to make everything equal at 3's it seems. I lean more for my finisher spells by having one extra with them and I did train Reshuffle. I'm even making use of my treasure board a lot more. My goal is to bring it down to 40 main board cards, excluding wand amulet and clothing stitched spells. It's so much tougher as a myth to play small without a good group of minions by my side. Hmm... So many good spells to use though. I feel that once I get basilisk I'm never going to touch medusa. There are so many good ways to play but they all leave open a certain weakness I'm trying to avoid.

With a deck of 60, to balance my support and defensive spells with attacks, I just add in more attacks. it often feels like heals are getting in my way too but those are essential.

Ugh, I never had this problem at level 40.

What do you sacrifice? How do you keep your decks small and functional?

Maybe I should dump orthrus entirely and just gargantuan minotaurs for pickups on my medusa hits. Or maybe I should just dump medusa. Talos stuns a lot anyway. Bleh! But he costs a lot to summon and I get the same aggression with my troll, even if the attacks are a little weaker because of resist. Phew. Tricky...
Cleanse for feints, convictions for criticals, shatter for shield spammers, oh it just goes on lol.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
Yeah yeah that's it take out Orthrus and Medusa and Basilisk all the time.

Yeah yeah that's the ticket

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
jojowild23 wrote:
Yeah yeah that's it take out Orthrus and Medusa and Basilisk all the time.

Yeah yeah that's the ticket

Yep, and take out Basilisk too, you don't need that either.
Then when you face me, it will be more fun.... :D

Joe.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
My deck is only a bit more than half full. I'm balance. My key is to adjust per battle. Look at what school you're about to face, and adjust appropriately. If I'm facing a Myth enemy, I'll take off my Minotaur amulet and switch to the one that gives me Spirit Armor. Might as well take out any spirit traps or blades that lingered in from a previous battle. Uh oh! Balance guy! I'll have to rely on my secondary school. And so on! You might have to expiriment to find the best deck arrangement when your against various schools.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
Ugh, I'm tired of my enormous decks. The best way to balance out my large decks is to make everything equal at 3's it seems. I lean more for my finisher spells by having one extra with them and I did train Reshuffle. I'm even making use of my treasure board a lot more. My goal is to bring it down to 40 main board cards, excluding wand amulet and clothing stitched spells. It's so much tougher as a myth to play small without a good group of minions by my side. Hmm... So many good spells to use though. I feel that once I get basilisk I'm never going to touch medusa. There are so many good ways to play but they all leave open a certain weakness I'm trying to avoid.

With a deck of 60, to balance my support and defensive spells with attacks, I just add in more attacks. it often feels like heals are getting in my way too but those are essential.

Ugh, I never had this problem at level 40.

What do you sacrifice? How do you keep your decks small and functional?

Maybe I should dump orthrus entirely and just gargantuan minotaurs for pickups on my medusa hits. Or maybe I should just dump medusa. Talos stuns a lot anyway. Bleh! But he costs a lot to summon and I get the same aggression with my troll, even if the attacks are a little weaker because of resist. Phew. Tricky...
Cleanse for feints, convictions for criticals, shatter for shield spammers, oh it just goes on lol.

Huge decks can be a pain to set up. I will make this one point of consideration though... The most mathematically beneficial setup is with blades, traps, and a single hitter. For that reason, I generally keep a couple of copies of Medusa for a finishing move.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
It hit me like a Leviathan from the tower of the Helephant.
I didn't have this problem in my 40's, so what I did was, I bought a smaller deck. And since my balance was pretty much perfect around that level, I just spent a whole part of yesterday calculating what to slim down on, what to hold up on and it's looking good. I buffed up my defense and am going back to playing tank. Fortify plus 40% resist and a heal boost over 50%, you can hit me all you want.

Gtar, I thought about just stacking up my charms and lowering my attacks, but I'm not very comfortable with that. I've once gone through matches where I could discard for four rounds, about two cards a round and still not find an attack. i do the opposite and just beef up my attack cards and lower my charm count. I carry only 3 blades and use an amulet for a balance blade. My minions blade and trap for me as well and I carry 2 gargantuan now. It helps me stay flexible I suppose.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
Trial and error. I pay attention to how my pips come out in battle - can I spend them quickly enough so I don't max out vs do I have enough 0 pip spells so I can save up for big combos? I also compare one battle to the next whether I felt like I drew useful cards, was missing anything or had too many copies of a certain spell cluttering up the works. You probably only need 2 copies of shatter as a just in case for your big hit setup but would want a few more copies of minotaur to bust up shields early and keep them on the defensive.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
Gtar, I thought about just stacking up my charms and lowering my attacks, but I'm not very comfortable with that. I've once gone through matches where I could discard for four rounds, about two cards a round and still not find an attack. i do the opposite and just beef up my attack cards and lower my charm count. I carry only 3 blades and use an amulet for a balance blade. My minions blade and trap for me as well and I carry 2 gargantuan now. It helps me stay flexible I suppose.

I wasn't trying to imply you should go the way of reducing your total number of attacks. I was just saying I find it a good idea to keep one or two single hitters, such as Medusa, in the deck. If it isn't the mainstay of your deck, then when one of them comes up, you have the option of keeping it off to the side for a finisher or discarding it if the battle is already in the bag. Its part of the staying flexible you were talking about. :D

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
CorbinW wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply you should go the way of reducing your total number of attacks. I was just saying I find it a good idea to keep one or two single hitters, such as Medusa, in the deck. If it isn't the mainstay of your deck, then when one of them comes up, you have the option of keeping it off to the side for a finisher or discarding it if the battle is already in the bag. Its part of the staying flexible you were talking about. :D

Ooohhh ya ya! I'm doing that right now. I carry 3 heavy hitting spells for the off chance that comes by. Currently 2 medusa and 1 orthrus. I might switch it for 2 orthrus and 1 medusa because of the whole chance of going second thing, and people tend to shield a lot against me. And there's nothing like laughing at a single shield going second by casting an orthrus.

Favorite response, "Oh. Forgot about that card."