Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

True way to Balance in PvP!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
This idea really just hit me, it is so simple that it is too simple.

The only gear that can be used in PvP is PvP gear.

This goes in every and all aspects, from Hats, to Robes, to Boots, Athames, Rings, Wands, Amulets, and Decks.

Tickets are the only way to earn these items.

Now, most of these are in place, there are several Hats, Robes, Boosts, Athames, and Rings.

Wands, Amulets, and Decks would have to be added to PvP.

Everything in PvP, would have a label of PvP only.

This would take Criticals out of PvP, unless KI decided to make a new gear that has critical stats.

Think about this and let me know how you feel about this Idea!

Historian
May 01, 2010
darthjt wrote:

This goes in every and all aspects, from Hats, to Robes, to Boots, Athames, Rings, Wands, Amulets, and Decks.

Now, most of these are in place, there are several Hats, Robes, Boosts, Athames, and Rings.

This would take Criticals out of PvP, unless KI decided to make a new gear that has critical stats.

Please tell me this gear is able to be bought by privates? Because I see that down ranking will become A HUGE problem (bigger than it is today).
Just think about it: a warlord, and a low low low ranked private, both in gargantuan gear, vs two friends trying to get tickeds/rank up, in other words, gearless. That still goes if there are gear at private, and the warlord's is better, because as you probably know, a wizard is only as good as his gear (*cough*decks are gear too* ). Also, should there be critical block on the gear? Because anyone can have vengeance, while not everyone can afford max amounts of conviction... Sry if I shot down your idea, the means are good, just a couple of flaws to the people who pvped when they had no idea what they were doing (*looks in mirror*)

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Vengeance Spell and Vengeance TC for 20/25% Critical rates.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
First of all, of course gear can be used at private.

There would be gear for all ranks and levels.

As for Vengeance for a possible critical, there is Conviction for a possible block and stun resist.

Both Vengeance and Conviction can be trained or bought as treasure cards, so both are equal.

As I also stated, it would be up to KI to decide if they would create an arena gear that has critical stats and critical block stats.

Now, will there be "downranking"? Well, as we all know, the more you win the more tickets you get and the more you lose the less tickets you get.

Since matchups have been fixed according to rank and level, I dont see much reason to downrank, even for tickets, since you get more by winning than you do losing.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Darthjt,

The perfect answer, so instead of adding critical block for the low levels, it just all gets removed from the new pvp gear, absolutely a great idea.

I also agree with Slammer111, as the same time, downranking needs to be controlled. Once you attain a level, you cannot downrank below it, for tickets. The key is, the tickets need to be revamped too, as if you rise too fast, you will never get enough tickets to get the clothes you want, because matches will dry up and get harder to get.
The basic idea is perfect, just the misc items need to be looked at.

Nice,

Joe,
Joseph Lionhunter.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
One more thing, this needs to be posted over on Central, as it needs as much support as it can get. I have thought about this, and it has real serious merit.
KI could do this very easily, it could just adjust all the people's Crit/Crit Block to zero, entering into PvP.
Then even if you are 10 levels off, you still got a fighting chance against a level 60 or 70, etc, in the arena.

Joe.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Sorry, but that'll take out the whole uniqueness of each wizard and will completely ruin my style of play. Pvp will become boring if every school will have the same gear. Pvp to me is already balance because everyone's allowed to go their own way in pvp instead of having the same gear.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011

Wow. If complaints about PvP weren't already at an up-tick, can you imagine what this will do?

Well, let me say that I have no problem with this from the view point of my commander sorcerer who already has all the PvP clothes. I could make it work. The Critical system is already something that I merely block in PvP, nothing more. Except for that odd Storm hit.

The main problem as I see it is the time and money people have spent farming for gear. Waterworks, yes. But DS too. And what? These people suddenly can't wear all that gear anymore when they want to PvP? Wow. The Mastery amulets! PvP addicts would cancel subs. by the hundreds or more if they couldn't rely on Life Mastery Amulets anymore to cover up their shoddy dueling skills (the truth!)

:-o or Storm wizards without 80-90% gear damage boost! Laugh out loud! I can already hear them all wailing to high heaven. It'd be really amusing to see storm damage brought back down to earth. But I'll tell you something: I don't think they could cope. I really don't.

So, great idea. Not realistic.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Hello. Unfortunately. I don't feel this is a very good idea. People have spent crowns, time, and money to get the gear they want for pvp. If you take away the bought pvp gear players: bout 1,000,000 players lost. Storms and Ices who would want their Damage and Resist back, respectively: 500,000 players lost. People who in general complain about all this: 175,000 lost. Let's not forget those of us who don't have enough Arena Tickets to buy this pvp only gear. Would they not be able to use gear in the arena? They would probably die every fight. I'm not posting this for my own sake, I have over a thousand tickets piled up. I just think a lot of people would quit, cancel subs, even more would stop pvping, causing boredom among Transcendeds and causing them to quit and cancel subs....so basically this would be the beginning of the end for wizard101. Sorry, but I disagree with your post.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Some good and interesting points have been brought up.

Some have stated Crown gear and the money people have spent on gear.
This might be true, for anyone lower than level 56, Crown gear can have better stats and is getting even better all the time with the new bundle card releases and the card packs.

So, this does bring up an interesting point, that crown gear might have to be allowed, however, as with the game, school gear for your level can be made that is better. To where spending the time in PvP and earning tickets is worth getting the gear.

Now, while there is warlord gear, some will not want to lose their advanced health, advanced resistance, advanced power pip chance, and advanced Power boosts. These will be the main complaints more than any. However, if you think about it, it actually equalizes the schools and does the damage based on the school, bringing back the schools originality, since a rank 5 stormzilla does a lot of damage compared to a rank 5 skeletal pirate or a rank 5 phoenix.

Now, seeing as this will be a new change and everyone will have to get some type of gear, everyone will have to be given tickets or some gear will have to be given for 0 tickets for level gear and not specialized gear.

After all, everyone will need a wand and a deck atleast to PvP with.

I am putting this out there as a possible idea that a lot of people might like, while others might not like, as a lot of people like having "The upper hand"

As far as getting supporters on Central, sorry, but I will not post anything on any other board. This is the only Wizard Boards I post on and that will not change.

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
Sorry, but i doubt this would balance anything. Pvp is fine if you ask me, KI hasn't created overpowered spells, and yes this is coming from someone who has been hit with insane bolt, wild bolt (old and new, which is absolutley horrible and useless now), judgment, and whatever else people are probably complaining about. Ki hasn't given one school better gear, ice has better resist than storm but storm has better damage (same with everything else), it's equal. All my wizards (and i have one of every school) have lost around the same number of times that they has won. Considering i'm not the best dueler, i would expect other people do the same in the same pvp system we already have. If KI made it so the only gear available was pvp gear, i doubt many people would keep paying...

AMber Stormsong level 56 Diviner

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

This might be true, for anyone lower than level 56, Crown gear can have better stats and is getting even better all the time with the new bundle card releases and the card packs.

So, this does bring up an interesting point, that crown gear might have to be allowed, however, as with the game, school gear for your level can be made that is better. To where spending the time in PvP and earning tickets is worth getting the gear.

Now, while there is warlord gear, some will not want to lose their advanced health, advanced resistance, advanced power pip chance, and advanced Power boosts. These will be the main complaints more than any. However, if you think about it, it actually equalizes the schools and does the damage based on the school, bringing back the schools originality, since a rank 5 stormzilla does a lot of damage compared to a rank 5 skeletal pirate or a rank 5 phoenix.

Now, seeing as this will be a new change and everyone will have to get some type of gear, everyone will have to be given tickets or some gear will have to be given for 0 tickets for level gear and not specialized gear.

I am putting this out there as a possible idea that a lot of people might like, while others might not like, as a lot of people like having "The upper hand"

As far as getting supporters on Central, sorry, but I will not post anything on any other board. This is the only Wizard Boards I post on and that will not change.

So what about pets? Arena only pets as well? The single biggest element that most appear to exploit is creating "perfect" pets with defy and proof for like 15% global resistance. Would these be allowed or disallowed? Honestly, I think I'm with several other posters. Unless we go to a system whereby there are options for the kind of PvP you engage in (and this is one I'm interested in), I don't think people will jump on this bandwagon since there is so much time, money, and energy invested in gear farming and pet hatching specifically to compete in the arena.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
hum.. Hum...

But.. But.. does it mean that the guy that start fresh has to fight "naked"? Against geared people?

Honestly i don't think the problem to be in the gear.
It's more in the fact that some schools got to the point where you can kill instantly, no matter what, while others didn't get there (good answer being none ought to be in that case), and in the undoubtful advantage given to the one person that goes first.
(and powerpets also are becoming increasingly overpowered).

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I would like the game to have 2 versions of pvp instead of just 1. That way, you can choose which suits you well and which you like best. Pet derbies are cool, but I think that pvp's getting the upper-hand. If it takes out the whole pvp system and replaces it, then no offense but I'm not with it.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
darthjt wrote:

I truly support this idea, it is time or PvP to be balance and not exploited anymore.

I will like to also add, when first entering the arena players will be giving the free starting gear which is for privates. That way everyone will be available to PvP.

On the long run, once you acquire more tickets you can buy new PvP gear.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Sorry, but that'll take out the whole uniqueness of each wizard and will completely ruin my style of play. Pvp will become boring if every school will have the same gear. Pvp to me is already balance because everyone's allowed to go their own way in pvp instead of having the same gear.

Sure, someone who is a warlord with gargantuan gear faces a non-warlord with puny gear, it's totally balanced.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Ok, the Level issue seems to have been cleared, at least you seem to be within about 10 levels of the person you have to pvp against.

If that is the case, then what about just removing Critical or having a Check Box to only pvp those who do not want Critical in their match?

That way, a level 50 still has a chance against a level 60 or 65.

I feel that Criticals in the PvE game, make the game much more enjoyable.

Criticals in PvP, can take an hour of battling and turn the odds just as you expect to win. I can see why they were added, to the game, but PvP is different, imo. When you loose Rank on a lucky critical, to me that's just not fair. I know, who said the game had to be fair.

Joe.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I don't want schools to be handicapped by having everyone flattened with equal PvP stats across the board, meaning everyone gets exact same resistance, attack boost, etc. If we are to have PvP only gear, in which we can only PvP with such gear, then I hope the stats would reflect on a schools specific traits reasonably. Let storm have 15-20% higher attack rating than all other schools, let Ice gear have 10% greater resistance than all other schools, etc.

Life would definitely get the highest healing in/out boost. Since in and out effect a heal that's coming in to the caster, how would one feel of Life, having this option but it being, the highest at say, 10% in and out for 20%?

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Well, to get PvP gear to play PvP you need tickets from battling in PvP, so this idea wouldn't work. If you could only use PvP gear then no one except for people who already have PvP gear could play PvP.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
darthjt wrote:

How? Wouldn't every school having the same gear only make it better?
This could truly bring out the individuality of each school in PvP. It wouldn't take hours of farming Waterworks to win a match. It would truly take strategy.
KI has done their best to make all the schools balanced, but all the random gear thrown in makes it unbalanced.
I'm supporting Darthjt on this.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
No. People are already trying to dictate how other people duel, but now people want to control what gear we use? I can understand smoke screen spam though.

How about instead of dictating what gear we use, simply add 50-90 critical block to the existing pvp gear and then separate heal and life and granting some kind of critical heal so that way they can heal well and not have to worry about being instantly killed with one hit most of the time?

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
Lion359 wrote:

Criticals in PvP, can take an hour of battling and turn the odds just as you expect to win. I can see why they were added, to the game, but PvP is different, imo. When you loose Rank on a lucky critical, to me that's just not fair. I know, who said the game had to be fair.

Joe.

With all due respect, I'm tired of hearing this. So you have no problem slaughtering mindless NPCs with outrageous critical, but can't handle it when a wizard achieves it in the arena?

First of all, unfair how?

A low level without any Crit block I can see. But are there not shields? Is there not a Crit Block stat you can get from gear to defend yourself?

Personally, I PvP on a low critical rated school, so I don't have the luxury of game planning for it, attackwise.

I'm tired of hearing from wizards how bad I am at PvP the rare times I win on a lucky critical.

The question they should be asking themselves: Why were they so arrogant they thought they could just slip by without shielding an incoming attack? For that is where the real problem lay. Quit making it my problem.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
jojowild23 wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

With all due respect, I'm tired of hearing this. So you have no problem slaughtering mindless NPCs with outrageous critical, but can't handle it when a wizard achieves it in the arena?

First of all, unfair how?

A low level without any Crit block I can see. But are there not shields? Is there not a Crit Block stat you can get from gear to defend yourself?

Personally, I PvP on a low critical rated school, so I don't have the luxury of game planning for it, attackwise.

I'm tired of hearing from wizards how bad I am at PvP the rare times I win on a lucky critical.

The question they should be asking themselves: Why were they so arrogant they thought they could just slip by without shielding an incoming attack? For that is where the real problem lay. Quit making it my problem.

Well jojowild23,

I really laughed hard when I read this:

" I'm tired of hearing this. So you have no problem slaughtering mindless NPCs with outrageous critical, but can't handle it when a wizard achieves it in the arena?"

Those mindless NPC's have Critical block and Critical too, and it's two against one. This part of the game is just a running program, that can't account for all the variables. A human on the other hand, is not just a predefined program, it can handle any variable thrown at it.
Plus, they (NPC's) don't have feelings, like humans, or the drive to compete.
Trying to do a comparison between the two is like comparing a babie's bed with wheels to a race car.

With all due respect, I have to ask, have you read any of the postings over the past year on this board. Not many if you have, that is for sure, otherwise you would understand why I stated what I did.

I have no problem with a level 60 against a level 65, they both have critical gear. Try taking your level 50 up against my Level 65 and see how long you last. Since KI is not controlling who gets stuck against a Critical versus non Critical Wizard, that is a problem. I would rather see Critical removed or all everyone to have 450 Critical Block, the max number I believe.

Then when my Storm level 60 goes in against a level 50, at least the Level 50 has a chance. As it is, my Storm Crits about every third spell, I can almost count on it.

Listen, I'm not a Noob (well maybe I am) at this game, I have three Transcended, two Legendary, one Life level 23, and a myth level 5 and a Balance level 10 that I pvp with.
I hate being in the Arena and getting stuck fighting a Lower level that doesn't have Critical.

On your other statement,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrogant, because someone thorows out Wild bolt after wildbolt, and how often do you have a shield exactly when you need it, give me a break.?
I have been hit by three Wildbolts or Insane bolt more than three times in a row, and all have been critical. Tell me that is fair to a Level 50, it isn't.
Yes, you want Critical to stay in PVP, I have no problem if the Wizard is above 58 where he can really get the gear to defend him/herself.

Maybe you like winning on Criticals on low levels, I don't.

Joe.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Mimzkat101 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
darthjt wrote:

How? Wouldn't every school having the same gear only make it better?
This could truly bring out the individuality of each school in PvP. It wouldn't take hours of farming Waterworks to win a match. It would truly take strategy.
KI has done their best to make all the schools balanced, but all the random gear thrown in makes it unbalanced.
I'm supporting Darthjt on this.

If that were to happen, my strategy would completely be crushed. My stats wouldn't be high anymore, my health wouldn't be exceeding for a Balance wizard, and I think that making all schools to get the same gear is just pure annoyance. You know the other wizard's stats, you know their health, you know everything. Pvp would be so boring that I wouldn't even join a practice. Knowing someones else strategy and stats before you fight them would lead to chaos like this: Why does this school always shield before my attack? Why does Storm has the same damage boost as Ice? Why does everyone have 50% resist? Pvp would be in utter chaos and KI would lose many players from paying them for crowns.