Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells Cost too many Pips?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Are spells costing too much now? Well, if any of you wizards out there have ideas to help stop this new 10 pip spell that is probably going to be released next year, post them here!

I don't know about other types of wizards, but us ice wizards have very low power pip chances. This results in us having trouble casting those 9 pip spells. Now, we are also the weakest school, yet we still have the most trouble casting anyway? I feel useless.

I've also seen this problem with few myth wizards and few death wizards. We just can't conjure up those power pips as easily as other schools. But those two aren't too bad anyway. I'm level 68 and I have a power pip chance of 70%!

Now, I will post my idea, and I hope you guys can build off of it to make it possible. I don't believe this will be a game-breaking update if PvP is fixed up so that you can not fight anyone five or so levels under or above you, unless they have someone more powerful to support them.

~~Tier 2 Spells~~

I was thinking about ways to fix this issue. I just couldn't muster any ideas. But then I started looking towards old MMORPG's that I played and quit so I could join Wizard101. One of them had things that were "Tiers" (levels of power) and another had a cost after each attack, so that you couldn't constantly perform the powerful moves.

Well, I combined them.

Tiers with less charge. In other words, more powerful spells for less pips!

Tier 2 Spells will be a new release, I hope, and it will include new school spells. Your teacher no longer will constantly call you to the classroom so you can perform a tedious quest for another spell that cost more pips than the last. If you just look at the front page, (example, fire page) you will see firecat, fire elf, etc. There will be an arrow pointing right on the bottom of that page, you'll click it. After you complete DragonSpyre, these spells will be available to you, if you're of level. (you probably won't be)

It will read, (example, ice page, these don't have to be actual spells) Snow Leopard; level 70; 1 pip; 1 training point, Frozen Skies; level 74; 1 pip; 1 training point. (this is for if you're not of the ice school) If these are released with the next update, the first three Tier 2 Spells can be released, (lvl 70, lvl 74, lvl 80) as with the level cap. (whenever the lvl 80 mark is released)

Well, I hope you get the idea by now; when this is visible, I will post a few examples of Tier 2 Spells I conjured up (I don't ask you guys to actually make those cards happen) so that you can get a better idea of it.

But, until next time: Have Fun!

This is jams1054 signing out! 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Updated on 11/30/2011-- (If you have read this far and fully understand my idea, there is no reason to read any further; unless you want to look at some cards I made up that is! :D)

My Post about Tier 2 Spells - Part 2!
------------------------------------------------

As I previously posted, I like the idea of Tier 2 Spells, where we can spend less pips for more powerful spells.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice Spell / Tier 2 - Snow Leopard

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 80%

Effect - 435-560 damage to an enemy, and add one extra stun to next stun. (if you use this spell and then use frost giant or any other stunning spell later in the battle, instead of lasting one round it will last two, or instead of lasting two rounds, three, etc. (This effect stacks – If this spell is used twice, another stun will stun three rounds instead of one, etc.))

Animation - You wave your wand into the Ice School symbol. A Snow Leopard comes flying out of the symbol as it lands in the center of the ring on all fours. It breathes heavily in an unsettling way, and you can see it's breath in the air, declaring it is a very cold creature. It suddenly jumps up and bites/scratches the enemy, causing the frozen chill to go into their body.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire Spell / Tier 2 - Fire-Snake Crackers

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 70% (every time – it's harder to hit because the possible use of blades and a critical can make this spell extremely deadly.)

Effect - A constant 80 damage until the spell fizzles. (The enemy takes this damage all in one turn. They just continuously take it until it fizzles once. If you use blades on this, it will contribute to all of the hits, but if you use a ward, it will only take action on the attack it is taken. Accuracy boosts on gear do not effect this spell, and accuracy blades effect this spell, but only on the hit the blade is used.

Animation - You swing your wand and red snakes come slithering across the field towards a single enemy. They look perfectly normal. One at a time they go under the enemy, which causes the foe to lift his foot up and put it back down. He/she continuously puts her foot back down and every time one of the snakes explode beneath them. Until your enemy adapts to the attack and stop putting their foot back down, it will keep going. That when it will be known to fizzle. It can also fizzle on the first time.

Storm Spell / Tier 2 - Raging Vortex

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 70%

Effect - 660 damage to one enemy, and +15% to next storm damage spell.

Animation - You wave your magic wand into the storm symbol and clouds form above the field. Out of them forms a large, tornado-shaped vortex out of water and it slams into the enemy, splashing the entire field. A storm ward then appears on the foe.

Myth Spell / Tier 2 - Merman

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 85%

Effect - 450-500 damage to one enemy and removes all wards and blades off of the foe; it also removes any moon or star school spell active

Animation - After you cast the symbol into place, a vast ocean appears in the center of the field. A rock island slowly floats up upon the sea. A Merman (male form of a mermaid) is laying upon it. It stares the enemy down, and gets angry after he realizes who they are. He throws the golden spear that he was holding, and when it comes into close contact it disappears. However, the spear had magic in it, causing the enemy to get injured by myth damage.

Life Spell / Tier 2 - Strangle

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 90%

Effect - 195 damage and then 300 damage over three rounds to one enemy. (100 damage each following round)

Animation - After you wave your wand, a small seedling appears under the enemy, and it grows bigger and bigger and bigger until... Squeeze! The tree wraps itself around the foe and squeezes them once, and then three other times over the next three rounds. (the tree doesn't stay up. when it's time for an enemy to take damage again the tree quickly grows up, squeezes the enemy, then "grows down" again.)

Death Spell / Tier 2 - Ol' Skin n' Bones

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 85%

Effect - 475-495 and three quarters of the damage taken back to the caster for hp.

Animation - An old, dull figure in a dark gray robe appears with a scythe. It moans with a rather odd noise, instead of the natural moan you think you'd hear from a ghost. It moans again, louder this time and it reveals a hand coming out of the sleeve. It rips it's robes off and roars, revealing a very thin, pale, boney figure. It throws it scythe like a boomerang at the foe, and it circles them, causing them to take the necessary damage. It comes back to the figure and it throws the scythe at the caster, where it does the same animation, although, somehow, it heals the caster by 3/4 of the damage taken by the enemy.

Balance Spell / Tier 2 - Scorpion of Sand

Pip(s) - 1

Accuracy - 85%

Effect - 470 damage, and the target loses a pip, power or regular. It also prevents the foe from getting another pip the round after this spell is casted. Beware! Cheating enemies won't like this spell! (This spell could be extremely helpful if used in the proper conditions. It can force an enemy to use a weaker spell, or not use any spell at all!)

Animation - You simply wave your wand and a giant dark blue scorpion comes flying into the field from out of nowhere. Sand is also formed on the field now. It runs into the enemy, opens it's pincers, and pinches them. When this is done, you will see the scorpion run slightly off of the field with and image of a pip in it's pincers, then disappear.

End of Part 2

I will later post a Part 3 including my full opinion about this, and I'll post any cons I can think of. I appreciate people commenting on this negatively. It will help! Get at me!

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I do agree, it's an uh-oh thinking about next major update like this. But I think the pips are okay right now because the last ones were 7, then 8, now 9. It's just later is when we'll have to worry :).

Caroline Sunbright level 65 life

Survivor
May 28, 2009
you could report this problem to ki. hopefully that works. :( :( :(

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
I see 4 ways to fix this...

Way 1 - Allow the transformation of White Pips into Power Pips when pips are full and you gain a Pip.

Way 2 - Release Simplify, Elucidate, and a new version: Minimize as Trainable. Simplify reduces pip cost by 1, Elucidate by 2, and Minimize by 3. Make all 3 of them 'No PVP' for Trained spell, and for Treasure.

Way 3 - Allow Wizards to gain Multiple Pips / Power Pips per round, or release a whole new type of pip that allows us to use it as 3 for Primary and 2 for Secondary.

Way 4 - Grant Wizards a chance to win amulets that allow them to use Power Pips for 3 pips for their primary school

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Johnist wrote:

Way 1 - Allow the transformation of White Pips into Power Pips when pips are full and you gain a Pip.

Way 2 - Release Simplify, Elucidate, and a new version: Minimize as Trainable. Simplify reduces pip cost by 1, Elucidate by 2, and Minimize by 3. Make all 3 of them 'No PVP' for Trained spell, and for Treasure.

Way 3 - Allow Wizards to gain Multiple Pips / Power Pips per round, or release a whole new type of pip that allows us to use it as 3 for Primary and 2 for Secondary.

Way 4 - Grant Wizards a chance to win amulets that allow them to use Power Pips for 3 pips for their primary school

This is much easier to understand that the op.

I would like to see something like this happen since we are moving into much higher rank spells, but I don't want to see KI using something copied from another game and may be harder for some of us oldies and the younger kids to understand.

Keep it simple as Johnist has outlined.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Johnist wrote:

I understand your point Johnist, but the thing with that is that the game is starting to lose its "Wizard101 Spirit!" The game is no longer cast fun and creative spells. It's blade, blade, ward, ward, bubble, blade, critical, cast!

My point being, not only is this going to resolve a major issue, (too many pips on spells) but it's also going to add more creativity and fun back to the game! Remember that fun point early in the game when we never used blades or wards? All of the spells were at random, and it helped add some color to the battles.

That's the important thing about the game right? Being exciting and enjoyable for all the players/gamers?

Think about the release on Ravenwood News: "Tier 2 Spells!"

I'm sure people will be a lot more eccentric if they read that, because it's a whole new discovery. If people read this: "Triple Pips Added," yeah, I'm sure they'll get excited but it won't last.

It's not a big update.

You get my point? :-)

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
By the time pip cost becomes 10+ I'm sure KI will give us gear that gives us 100% or more pip chance. My Sorcerer had 101% before I changed his clothes.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
JAMS1054 wrote:
Johnist wrote:

I understand your point Johnist, but the thing with that is that the game is starting to lose its "Wizard101 Spirit!" The game is no longer cast fun and creative spells. It's blade, blade, ward, ward, bubble, blade, critical, cast!

My point being, not only is this going to resolve a major issue, (too many pips on spells) but it's also going to add more creativity and fun back to the game! Remember that fun point early in the game when we never used blades or wards? All of the spells were at random, and it helped add some color to the battles.

That's the important thing about the game right? Being exciting and enjoyable for all the players/gamers?

I'm sure people will be a lot more eccentric if they read that, because it's a whole new discovery. If people read this: "Triple Pips Added," yeah, I'm sure they'll get excited but it won't last.

It's not a big update.

Jams1054, I don't know where you get the idea that Wizard101 is losing its "Spirit". If that were true, then why do so many of us constantly keep renewing our subs. Why does the Wizard community continue to grow?

The first 5 to 10 levels you referred to as not having blades and wards, are training levels. This works sort of like it would if you started a new job in an area you have never done before. As you progress, you are given new tools to work with. Power Pips don't come into play until AFTER level 10 at the earliest.

NO SPIRIT? Then why does everyone scramble when test goes up with new content regardless if it is a new world or something like the teleporter being tested. Zafaria was so full, it was almost impossible to move (ALL REALMS) in test.

My Legendary life wizard still at level 60 has a power pip chance of 96%. I can boost her to 104% by changing her gear, but by doing that I lose stats that I don't want to lose. (she is still level 60 since I am waiting for things to slow down in Zafaria and a few minor problems fixed.)

If you are having trouble casting those 9 pip spells, there are spells as Johnist has already pointed out that help reduce pip cost. We have simplify and elucidate now. His idea of Minimize is a more practical way to solve that problem than what you propose. His outline makes a lot more sense than tier spells. You may also want to look at some gear that will help you boost the power pip chances. I have seen Ice wizards in the game that are seem to be doing pretty good. I have even seen a few brag about being able to solo all of CL or WT. That does not look like they are having too much trouble. My guess is they have pushed that power pip chance as far as their gear will let them to date.

Wizard101 is unique in its own right. Even if they have taken ideas from other games (and I am not saying they do), they have made a game that is being played by millions just the way it is.

We know and KI knows that those 10 pip spells are coming in the future and I am sure they are already looking at that issue. If you have ever visited the fan site, you will see that some of the people posting there are moderators and if you look, they are also wizards. The chances are, they get to test a lot of things before TEST ever goes online.

I know that if this game ever goes to "TIER" spells, I am gone. I have played games that use this and don't like it.

Johnist idea is better and there is also another forum called "Pip...Power Pip...Ultra Pip", that is a better idea than tier spells.

So to answer your original question about spells costing too much? No. This is an expected aspect of the game.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
JAMS1054 wrote:
Johnist wrote:

It's not a big update.

I understand your point, but I think you're wrong. Adding 'Tiers' to the spells would just get confusing and have younger players completely confused. Not to mention, how High Level players would be spamming 'Tier 2' Low pip spells for high damage against Low Levels in PVP...

Again, while you think that the Tier system is the way to go, it is highly flawed due to the PvP aspect of the game. Would I like to see a Fire Leopard and Snow Leopard attack card? Sure. Put them on pets and in Amulets. Release new gear with them. Just don't make them a new 'Tier' of spells.

You have to remember, that KingsIsle has geared this game to Wizards of All Ages. While the Tier System may seem fair to an adult, it is hardly fair to a little kid who has been playing since the game came out and they suddenly change it all up on him.

So as you can see, I will continue to consider the 4 ways I listed, which don't drastically change the Low Pip form of the game, the safest ways KingsIsle can improve the game for High Pip spells.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
Maybe we could have super power pips, which count for 3 pips. Or perhaps we could have 3 pip wands or ellucidate treasure cards.
Anyway, if you're having a new ice spell, it HAS to be yeti. I was really looking forward to getting that in Zafaria :(

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Maybe I shouldn't have said, "Get at me!" xD

Sorry for posting this you guys, I didn't realize it would enrage you so much. After reading all of your posts, I understand that this was a horrible idea. I just know that I talked to some of my friends on the game, and they thought it was an excellent idea that was worth asking Wizard101 about.

I didn't come here to argue, and I won't.

What I meant about losing its "Spirit" was that not that the worlds were losing their spirit, not that the challenge was losing it's fun, and not that the game's just getting plain boring. I meant that the battles are losing that special "oomph" that they've had for such a long time. Adding pips that give three pips towards you're main school won't change the fact that the battles are going to be in this sequence:

Pass, blade, blades, ward, wards, (fizzle,) cast.

Well, thanks for commenting you guys. You helped...

Sort of. :D

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Johnist wrote:

Anyway, your idea is easier to understand and easier to explain. xD

I'll add a Way 5: (I don't know what I could do to start an arguement, but let's see :D)

Way 5 - When/If Transcended gear comes out, add reduce pip cost as a regular effect. Possibly: -1 pip to every spell casted, (9 pip spells will be castable when you have four power pips/8 regular pips.) or additions such as 5% chance you won't cast away any pips. (that chance should stay low)

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i dont bother much with those high pip cost spells anymore
i tend to amp up my loswer cost spells to do great amount of damage
and i cast bigger hits this way.

i can make a firecat do as much as 3000 damage but you got to know how to build him up to that.

bigger is Not always better.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
JAMS1054 wrote:
Johnist wrote:

I'll add a Way 5: (I don't know what I could do to start an arguement, but let's see :D)

Way 5 - When/If Transcended gear comes out, add reduce pip cost as a regular effect. Possibly: -1 pip to every spell casted, (9 pip spells will be castable when you have four power pips/8 regular pips.) or additions such as 5% chance you won't cast away any pips. (that chance should stay low)

Intriguing Idea... And something I had been thinking of regarding 'Past' 'Present' and 'Future' Temporal School ideas. These ideas of mine are still in the works, but trust me, Present is a beast, and Past allows you to use the Discarded pile, making it feel completely like a TCG... Future would be abused heavily in PVP, allowing you to see what your opponent(s) are casting....

Some Ideas for Temporal Present spells:
Maintain Pips - Lasts for 2 Rounds, all pips lost after the rounds. (Storm would love this. Cast this, then next turn a 14 pip supercharge then a 14 pip Tempest)

Maintain health - Lasts for 2 Rounds, take no Damage for 2 Rounds, all damage inflicted during these 2 rounds forms an 'Anti-Absorb' which is triggered on next damage attack. Anti-Absorb would be a Trap form of a Spirit Armor, equal to the amount of damage taken. Cleanse Ward can remove.

Maintain Cards - Lasts for 2 Rounds, cards you select in your hand to use are not removed from your hand after cast or fizzled. Treasure Cards used during this effect are removed after the 2 rounds are up.

Future Spell:
First Strike Enchantment
Spell added with this Enchantment is cast at the start of the next round instead of immediately.

Future Sight - Lasts 2 Rounds, See all spells being cast by Opponents for 2 Rounds.

Visionary World - Bubble allowing all players to see all selected moves until removed.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
An idea i had to combat this problem is new sun school spells that reduce the casting cost of the spell it's attached to by 1 to 4 pips, depending on the level of the sun spell used.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
JinZah wrote:
An idea i had to combat this problem is new sun school spells that reduce the casting cost of the spell it's attached to by 1 to 4 pips, depending on the level of the sun spell used.

That's not a bad idea at all JinZah, and it would indeed assist in this issue, but you could place, at this point in the game, only five of these in your deck. That would help, but we all know that now the battles last hours on end, if their any challenge that is. That's the point where we really need the little pip cost.

This can be our way six. :D

Let me repost them for more ease.

Way 4 - Grant Wizards a chance to win amulets that allow them to use Power Pips for 3 pips for their primary school.

Way 6 - Make new Sun Spells that reduce pip cost on the card attached

Remember to keep on coming up with ideas guys! And vote on these too..! :D

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Johnist wrote:
JAMS1054 wrote:
Johnist wrote:

Intriguing Idea... And something I had been thinking of regarding 'Past' 'Present' and 'Future' Temporal School ideas. These ideas of mine are still in the works, but trust me, Present is a beast, and Past allows you to use the Discarded pile, making it feel completely like a TCG... Future would be abused heavily in PVP, allowing you to see what your opponent(s) are casting....

Some Ideas for Temporal Present spells:
Maintain Pips - Lasts for 2 Rounds, all pips lost after the rounds. (Storm would love this. Cast this, then next turn a 14 pip supercharge then a 14 pip Tempest)

Maintain health - Lasts for 2 Rounds, take no Damage for 2 Rounds, all damage inflicted during these 2 rounds forms an 'Anti-Absorb' which is triggered on next damage attack. Anti-Absorb would be a Trap form of a Spirit Armor, equal to the amount of damage taken. Cleanse Ward can remove.

Maintain Cards - Lasts for 2 Rounds, cards you select in your hand to use are not removed from your hand after cast or fizzled. Treasure Cards used during this effect are removed after the 2 rounds are up.

Future Spell:
First Strike Enchantment
Spell added with this Enchantment is cast at the start of the next round instead of immediately.

Future Sight - Lasts 2 Rounds, See all spells being cast by Opponents for 2 Rounds.

Visionary World - Bubble allowing all players to see all selected moves until removed.

Interesting idea... But slightly hard to understand. I also had the idea for Time and Space spells awhile back, where you could prolong damage over time or shorten it; you could temporarily lower enemies' resistance, damage, block, critical, and now, armor piercing/vice versa with teammates.
Ideas:

Time Spell / Prolong Magic - 3 pips; Doubles the length of damage over-time when used on a foe that is having it. (has two turns of damage over-time left, there will now be four. (only useable on foes))

Time Spell / Out of Magic - 3 pip; Wipes out damage over-time effect when used on a Teammate that has an effect on them. (has two turns of damage over-time left, there will now be none. (only useable on teammates))

Space Spell / Defense Begone - 3 pips; Targeted enemy's resist lowered by 35% for the next four rounds. (enemy's resist is 25% on ice, and 10% resist on every other school; they will now be 0% resist)

Space Spell / Critical-Up - 3 pips; Targeted teammate's resist increased by 75 for the next two rounds. (teammate's critical rate is 65 on fire, and 25 on every other schools; they now will have 140 on fire and 100 on every other school.)

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
I just noticed I never posted this... Let's get it over with, shall we?
Not saying that I any longer agree with this idea, but I already had it typed up on Word... :P

Pros:

-certain battles won't take hours on end, just to cast a few spells (such as the helephant tower's first battle, or sometimes the first boss in the waterworks)

-players will have more unique things to cast, other than power up, power up, power up, attack!

-We won't have to do the tedious quests and constant level 48, level 58, level 68... etc.

-After I posted those ideas for cards, we can make more creative effects on spells (such as the add extra stun to next stun effect)

-Spells can actually hit over 1100 damage now without costing 10 pips. They can now cost about 4 or 5!

-Bubbles (such as Balefrost) can be reversed. That's what my idea of the spell I posted on part one, Frozen Skies is. Their enemy school can be increased.

Example:

Ice Spell / Tier 2 – Frozen Skies

Pip(s) - 2

Accuracy – 90%

Effect - +20% damage to all ice spells casted on the field, and -20% damage to all fire spells casted on the field.

Animation – You wizards waves the wand into the ice symbol and then a bubble, very similar looking to balefrost pops up, causing the effect.

-All of our Transcended players will love this release

Cons:

-PvP may cause issues if not fixed.

-The level cap will have to be raised again, and a new world will have to be released for new training towards these spells.

-Enemies may be harder to fight now since they get the spells too. Their cheating only encourages this, although I do think the cheating was an amazing update!

-Lower leveled players may feel left out, but that will only get us more players to catch up!

Okay, now there's the closing. I've run out of ideas for parts. :P So... yeah.

This is jams1054 signing out.

And remember:

You are a wizard, and the world is your wand! You can do anything if you think about it!

I just made that up... And I'm not sure it makes any sense. xD

See ya! Have fun!