Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools Losing Individuality?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
The schools of W101 are getting to be mashed tighter and tighter together.

Death is all about drains, right? With the 8 pip spell Skeletal Dragon it seemed Death was drifting away. But that's fixed with Katzenstein's Monster.

Fire is DOTs. Bye, fire specialty! Lots of the rank 8 and rank 9 spells are DOTs.

Life is healing. Too bad it hasn't had a heal in 22 levels.

Ice shines in defense, but weak attacks. Before the Celestia update Ice was on the right track. Then came gear with universal resist, superior health increases, and then Ice attacks got buffed up. Ice blended into the group.

Myth, the wonderful world of minions. At least before level 38. Myth then became a hopeless jumble of attacks that mixed stuff from the other schools. Myth is the new Balance.

Balance. Buffers of the wizard world. Oh look, amulets with Balance buffs! There goes balance.

Storm (ZAP!) is the attacking school, and low defense. With Supercharge Storm was heading in the right direction. But now with gear Storm can have more health than Fire or even Myth!

So, the developers obviously love Death as it is the only school still apart from the crowd (giving Death a HUGE advantage in PvP). Bring back the schools!

Defender
Jul 09, 2011
I agree 110%.The schools are not only losing the way they battle but there spells also.Level 48 spell amulets,pets that give Forest Lord,clothing that gives out spells not able to be bought with training points.Its all becoming just a single school with each school losing what they're known for.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
come come now..
as you grow in to the maturing wizard your spells should be maturing as well.
the spell being capable of doing other things as you grow means your on the right track.
i am finding that i can use lower spells and make then have more damage that some large spells even when buffed.
to be a wizards means to be one who learns how to manipulate those things around you and to have better and intermixing spells to cast.

its not about staying the same ...
no change mean no growth and no growth mean you die( of shear boredom)
things change in the game as they do in real life.
would you like to where the same kind of clothes when your a cool hip teen as you did when you were a toddler learning to walk and umm ... well you know have soggy pants.. no you wouldn't no more then you would what to take a date to the prom on a hobby horse. ( just an analogy from a parents point of view)

spells change as you level up for that reason. as you get stronger so do your spells. change is good... it means you are growing and learning.

the only thing you have to do is to learn how to use them to their fullest potential.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
hellboy315 wrote:

Really? I don't see that at all... Ice is ice, storm is storm, fire is fire, life is life, death is death, myth is myth, and balance is still balance... How do you get that storm is ice or ice is storm?

Where do you get that myth is balance and balance is death?

Death is all about drains, right? With the 8 pip spell Skeletal Dragon it seemed Death was drifting away. But that's fixed with Katzenstein's Monster.

Death is not all about drains! Death has attacks, same as other schools, however, it does have Drain spells as a trait of a Death School!

Fire is DOTs. Bye, fire specialty! Lots of the rank 8 and rank 9 spells are DOTs.

Does Fire not have the most DoT spells in the game? Can fire not destroy shields better than any other school? Did you not see the power of Rain of Fire spell?

Life does heal, has the best healing spells in the game! However, Life needs to survive to, so it does need attacks also... Hence Centaur, Forest Lord, and the new Gnome Spell! I am not exactly sure what healing spell you expect to be next? Heal team completely for 10 pips?

Ice shines in defense, but weak attacks. Before the Celestia update Ice was on the right track. Then came gear with universal resist, superior health increases, and then Ice attacks got buffed up. Ice blended into the group.

Ice still has the most health, the most resistance, and the weakest attacks along with the lowest attack boosts... Also has the lowest accuracy now with a low power pip chance... Ice is the tank, as it has always been!

Myth, the wonderful world of minions. At least before level 38. Myth then became a hopeless jumble of attacks that mixed stuff from the other schools. Myth is the new Balance.

How do you see Myth as Balance? Myth has Talos, or did you forget? Also, myth has awesome attacks with Medusa and the new Dragon spell... Myth is by far from being considered the Balance school... Almost thought this was a joke, but then this whole post of yours would have to be sarcasm!

Balance. Buffers of the wizard world. Oh look, amulets with Balance buffs! There goes balance.

Balance has a bit of every school, uses the powers of all... Hence the Hydra and Chimera spells! Also the Helping Hands and other healing spell balance gets... Not sure where you get that Balance is taken over by all other schools...

Storm (ZAP!) is the attacking school, and low defense. With Supercharge Storm was heading in the right direction. But now with gear Storm can have more health than Fire or even Myth!

Storm can have more Health than fire or myth? Sure if it gives up everything that makes it storm, any school can! It will have to give up it's power and it's accuracy, just to get great health... Hmmm, but so can any school, so how does that make storm any less storm?

So, the developers obviously love Death as it is the only school still apart from the crowd (giving Death a HUGE advantage in PvP). Bring back the schools!

Every School has advantages and disadvantages in PvP, it is the player that truly defines how good each school is in PvP!

Stop the madness, stop the complaints, learn the schools before you try and state what is ruined!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have to agree with Hobi and Darthjt on this one.

The schools have not lost individuality.

The main advantage that Death has is the ability to use some spells and still drain health from the opponent by going under the ARMOR.

The only reason you are complaining about what the schools are capable of doing if I read this correctly, and since you did not make that statement until you last one, is because of PvP.

PvP is only a sideline. In my opinion, PvP should be the place you HONE your skills against the other schools. You will face your rank 6, 7,and 8 spells as you advance through the Spiral. You will see rank 7 in WT if you let the mobs or bosses get that far in pips. Rank 8 in ZF. So stop complaining about the advantages in PvP. You will face them in PvE.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
I'm afraid, althought it was expressed in an improper way, I quite agree.

Up to lvl 48, and before WT spells came out, all schools kept their relative strenghts.

If you were, say, life, and wanted really a hard hit, you had to train a power school like storm.

If you needed DOTs, there came the need for fire.

There was a sort of balance that made all schools sort of incomplete, thus complementary to at least another one.

Since new spells came out on higher levels (and side spells like the WT ones were added) these empty spaces got filled, and secondary schools became less and less useful.

As an example, before the WT update i had trained life up to satyr; but since i got availing hand, all my life cards went out of my deck - what for since they would cost double and heal less..

Same went for power hits - yes, storm has still the strongest ones, but hey, after you hit for 50k, who cares if you do 60K or 200k, foe is dead anyway!
Then was the AoE rush, then DOTs became common.. yes definitely all schools are becoming self-sufficient - although we are not yet at the point where they all look alike.

My only wish is that this trend will reverse: with gear that might give good boosts but also weaknesses depending on schools, for example (as it could be a + 20% storm hit but -50% defense against myth), or increase some stats, but decreasing others - to the player the choice of putting their wage on what;
instead of getting new hit spells, maybe have removal ones - a myth to remove opponent blades, a storm to remove traps on self, a life to remove auras, balance to remove bubbles (that would be fair considering how expensive balance bubble is, and it's the only one useful to all, foes included!).. and so on.
In short, making tactical spells instead of power ones - we have far too much power, already..

Also an idea could be of making spells effect and accuracy land-related (yes, it's a sad copy from other games.. but it works), so that, according to the place you are fighting in, some schools would get advantaged and other disadvantaged (ex, underwater, storm and ice would get a power advantage, storm would loose accuracy and fire would loose some power, but in a desert things could go the other way round.. )

Then again, it's a game for children. Maybe it's just the way they like it, to get the 'destroy 'em all' spells and full stop. :(

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
Oops, forgot about Talos for Myth.

And I DON'T idolize PvP, I am simply annoyed that when I do PvP, the Death wizards get all the credit. All because they are apart from the crowd.

Explorer
May 11, 2010
I have to agree. The schools are all blending together. They aren't very unique anymore.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
elvinlith wrote:
I'm afraid, althought it was expressed in an improper way, I quite agree.

Up to lvl 48, and before WT spells came out, all schools kept their relative strenghts.

If you were, say, life, and wanted really a hard hit, you had to train a power school like storm.

If you needed DOTs, there came the need for fire.

There was a sort of balance that made all schools sort of incomplete, thus complementary to at least another one.

Since new spells came out on higher levels (and side spells like the WT ones were added) these empty spaces got filled, and secondary schools became less and less useful.

As an example, before the WT update i had trained life up to satyr; but since i got availing hand, all my life cards went out of my deck - what for since they would cost double and heal less..

Same went for power hits - yes, storm has still the strongest ones, but hey, after you hit for 50k, who cares if you do 60K or 200k, foe is dead anyway!
Then was the AoE rush, then DOTs became common.. yes definitely all schools are becoming self-sufficient - although we are not yet at the point where they all look alike.

My only wish is that this trend will reverse: with gear that might give good boosts but also weaknesses depending on schools, for example (as it could be a + 20% storm hit but -50% defense against myth), or increase some stats, but decreasing others - to the player the choice of putting their wage on what;
instead of getting new hit spells, maybe have removal ones - a myth to remove opponent blades, a storm to remove traps on self, a life to remove auras, balance to remove bubbles (that would be fair considering how expensive balance bubble is, and it's the only one useful to all, foes included!).. and so on.
In short, making tactical spells instead of power ones - we have far too much power, already..

Also an idea could be of making spells effect and accuracy land-related (yes, it's a sad copy from other games.. but it works), so that, according to the place you are fighting in, some schools would get advantaged and other disadvantaged (ex, underwater, storm and ice would get a power advantage, storm would loose accuracy and fire would loose some power, but in a desert things could go the other way round.. )

Then again, it's a game for children. Maybe it's just the way they like it, to get the 'destroy 'em all' spells and full stop. :(

Again, the schools have not lost their individuality.

There is still balance between the schools and always will be. And the schools still are complementary to at least one more.

Maybe to you, the secondary spells are useless, but to many players they are not. If you solo all the time or even on an occasional quest, you are still going to find yourself needing those secondary spells at some point. Thus, the Amulets that ALLOW you to use those spells with the same cost as your primary school. This was the answer to the request of the players that wanted to be able to use those spells on an equal pip count as their primary used. WE asked for that ability and KI gave it to us.

My balance wizard has trained life all the way through Centaur. Even with the Availing hands, I still keep Life spells in my deck especially heals. Yes, without the amulet, they do cost more, but I prefer to be able to give myself or a friend as much heal as I can. My life wizard is not the only one of my wizards that has gone Crit for a heal. Very much worth the extra pips when they do Crit. In my opinion, Satyr give more heal than availing hands and better since it does and instant heal instead of a Heal over time. You can die faster with the heal over time if you are not careful and let your health get too low. Ergo, Satyr is a better life saver.

Storm is a little weak until you get them to the point the can really start buffing betting. They fizzed a lot and the younger ones still do quite often. Even if they get to where they can and do throw those 50k or higher hits, take a look at the buffs they are using. Yes, GOOD GOING STORM!!!

The AoEs and DoTs for other schools, WE ASKED FOR THEM. The different schools are not totally self sufficient.

As to your idea of reversing the trend, go look at some of the gear in Zafaria. For the price of that gear and the stats, the gear is not any better than that of CL. I don't want my stats reversed on any of my wizards.

As for the removal spells, we already have some of those. And if you can get them as treasure cards, which all of my wizards do have them, it does not matter the school. If you want to remove a mob bubble, use your school bubble. I puposely avoid using bubbles that the foe can use also.

As to your statement thate "we have far too much power already", I think you will find that a lot of players will disagree with you. We WANT to increase our power. But we also have learned how to use our buffs. The spells in themselves are not that powerful. THINK ABOUT IT.

As for making spells effect and accuracy land-related? Where did this come from. The BEST thing about this game is that it is not a COPY of other games. The advantages and disadvantages of a school can show up anywhere in the game based on the mob/bosses you are facing and your school.

And YES, this is a game for children but it is a family game as well. Even though there are a lot of older players, myself included, we enjoy playing and using what strategy we have available.

So PLEASE, leave it alone.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:

There is still balance between the schools and always will be. And the schools still are complementary to at least one more.

You don't understand the difference between balanced and self sufficient. Balanced means that none will get over all others on the loot; self sufficient means that there is no blocking for a single player on any challenge due to the appartenance to the main school.
Almost all schools are self sufficient today, although they are still balanced.
This is not a statement, it's an axiom.
I can explain this further if you need.

Maybe to you, the secondary spells are useless, but to many players they are not. If you solo all the time or even on an occasional quest, you are still going to find yourself needing those secondary spells at some point.

I soloed (gods of english language, please forgive me) the whole game, except for tower of the elephant (which i believe is very possible to do) and the last spiders in zafaria. Never needed anything else but balance since WT spells came out. I rarely use RA, too.
In fact, the only time i use non balance spells is when i play PvP.

My balance wizard has trained life all the way through Centaur. Even with the Availing hands, I still keep Life spells in my deck especially heals. Yes, without the amulet, they do cost more, but I prefer to be able to give myself or a friend as much heal as I can. My life wizard is not the only one of my wizards that has gone Crit for a heal. Very much worth the extra pips when they do Crit. In my opinion, Satyr give more heal than availing hands and better since it does and instant heal instead of a Heal over time. You can die faster with the heal over time if you are not careful and let your health get too low. Ergo, Satyr is a better life saver.

Nope. Not only availing hands is better than satyr when cast on a friend, it also has a higher chance of critical since it's the main school.
As a raw heal, AA gives a total of 850, where satyr gives 860, so yes, about 10 more poits.
But beside the fact that for the same pip costs you can cast it up to twice, often a satyr will overheal (specially with the heal boosts), where an availing hand will spread over three round and heal any damage received in the meanwhile. And if you set up your fight properly, that is, with balance in the first spot (balance ought to be always first), then your availing hand will both heal for 70 AND for 260 in the first round, when your mate's turn comes. To give an example, with gear from WW and crafts from WT, i can heal a teammate for about 1000 points on the first round with a critical availing hands. That's far more than enough for anyone.

Storm is a little weak until you get them to the point the can really start buffing betting. They fizzed a lot and the younger ones still do quite often. Even if they get to where they can and do throw those 50k or higher hits, take a look at the buffs they are using. Yes, GOOD GOING STORM!!!

Which proves me right: there is a difference, until that LVL 48 barrier. Beyond difficulties dues to the schools fade away.

The AoEs and DoTs for other schools, WE ASKED FOR THEM. The different schools are not totally self sufficient.

It's not because i ask for my annoying neighbour to fall from the stairs that when he does i can be proud of myself, right? Read again my axiom above, if needed.

As to your idea of reversing the trend, go look at some of the gear in Zafaria..

It's an idea among others, and it has nothing to do with what zafaria stuff does.

As for the removal spells, we already have some of those. And if you can get them as treasure cards, which all of my wizards do have them, it does not matter the school. If you want to remove a mob bubble, use your school bubble. I puposely avoid using bubbles that the foe can use also.

Removal spells, as in shatter variants.
Balance bubble is the only one that advantages all fighters, no matter their schools, and it costs double. Any other bubble will cost the same to balance, unless we use an amulet (i have better use for that slot than a school amulet!). Again, some ideas among others.

As to your statement thate "we have far too much power already", I think you will find that a lot of players will disagree with you. We WANT to increase our power. But we also have learned how to use our buffs. The spells in themselves are not that powerful. THINK ABOUT IT.

I, as many other good player I met, stand by my statement. All thought. Then again, it's the proper of all men to desire more power. Wisdom teaches to learn using what one has instead of looking for something he doesn't. And power without wisdom bring disaster (B. Russell).

As for making spells effect and accuracy land-related? Where did this come from. The BEST thing about this game is that it is not a COPY of other games.

It doesn't copy, it getsinspired by. Like always happens. And that was a suggestion in this sense.

And YES, this is a game for children but it is a family game as well. Even though there are a lot of older players, myself included, we enjoy playing and using what strategy we have available.

I was asked an opinion, as you were, and gave it. I don't see why I should leave it alone.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
hellboy315 wrote:

I think this is right. In the worlds each school followed it's own path, its own conquest to victory. But now a death could be fire, and schools share there powers! KI, please fix all of this

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
elvinlith wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

You don't understand the difference between balanced and self sufficient. Balanced means that none will get over all others on the loot; self sufficient means that there is no blocking for a single player on any challenge due to the appartenance to the main school.
Almost all schools are self sufficient today, although they are still balanced.
This is not a statement, it's an axiom.
I can explain this further if you need.

Maybe to you, the secondary spells are useless, but to many players they are not. If you solo all the time or even on an occasional quest, you are still going to find yourself needing those secondary spells at some point.

I soloed (gods of english language, please forgive me) the whole game, except for tower of the elephant (which i believe is very possible to do) and the last spiders in zafaria. Never needed anything else but balance since WT spells came out. I rarely use RA, too.
In fact, the only time i use non balance spells is when i play PvP.

Nope. Not only availing hands is better than satyr when cast on a friend, it also has a higher chance of critical since it's the main school.
As a raw heal, AA gives a total of 850, where satyr gives 860, so yes, about 10 more poits.
But beside the fact that for the same pip costs you can cast it up to twice, often a satyr will overheal (specially with the heal boosts), where an availing hand will spread over three round and heal any damage received in the meanwhile. And if you set up your fight properly, that is, with balance in the first spot (balance ought to be always first), then your availing hand will both heal for 70 AND for 260 in the first round, when your mate's turn comes. To give an example, with gear from WW and crafts from WT, i can heal a teammate for about 1000 points on the first round with a critical availing hands. That's far more than enough for anyone.

Which proves me right: there is a difference, until that LVL 48 barrier. Beyond difficulties dues to the schools fade away.

It's not because i ask for my annoying neighbour to fall from the stairs that when he does i can be proud of myself, right? Read again my axiom above, if needed.

As to your idea of reversing the trend, go look at some of the gear in Zafaria..

It's an idea among others, and it has nothing to do with what zafaria stuff does.

Removal spells, as in shatter variants.
Balance bubble is the only one that advantages all fighters, no matter their schools, and it costs double. Any other bubble will cost the same to balance, unless we use an amulet (i have better use for that slot than a school amulet!). Again, some ideas among others.

I, as many other good player I met, stand by my statement. All thought. Then again, it's the proper of all men to desire more power. Wisdom teaches to learn using what one has instead of looking for something he doesn't. And power without wisdom bring disaster (B. Russell).

As for making spells effect and accuracy land-related? Where did this come from. The BEST thing about this game is that it is not a COPY of other games.

It doesn't copy, it getsinspired by. Like always happens. And that was a suggestion in this sense.

I was asked an opinion, as you were, and gave it. I don't see why I should leave it alone.

I understand the difference between balanced and self-sufficient very well, thank you.

But I don't see the point in continuing this banter any further.

So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:

How do you see Myth as Balance? Myth has Talos, or did you forget? Also, myth has awesome attacks with Medusa and the new Dragon spell... Myth is by far from being considered the Balance school... Almost thought this was a joke, but then this whole post of yours would have to be sarcasm!

Hmm, as a myth mainer I would like to say that Myth, compared to balance, given you train right can be much better at balance than...well....balance!
Sure I don't have elemental attacks that call upon the three elemental schools, and I personally would not say that Myth is becoming the Balance school, that too would be ludicrous but from all of my time playing myth, and considering the spells of certain minions, I must say that Myth outshines Balance in its own traits. Cyclops minion has the balance spell donate pips, Talos has Hex, I use weakness and sometime will use a Black Scratchers Amulet (black mantle -55%) in Arena. As of this post I probably have equipped an amulet that gives me a balance blade + Hex.

It's silly when people say that because one spell does something different than their other spells that they are losing their "specialty" or "traits". As a myth manier, I definitely play it with wide flexibility, very successfully and wouldn't see it so far fetched as why someone might see Myth as a school that can mimic balance.