Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Prickly bear cactus

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 30, 2011
I'm having a hard time trying to quickly level up my pets, and I'm on a meager supply of crowns so I can't buy the mega pet snacks (I'm a kid so I tell you I owe a huge debt because I used my allowance to pay for crowns and membership), so I started farming them. People always say that Prickly bear cactus are the best source of mega snacks, but what are the chances? On the wizard101 wiki it had a huge list of over 20 normal snacks with only about 2 mega snacks that can be harvested, which is a 1/10 chance of getting one. Is it worth planting, or should I stick with the bread fruit bushes to get the golden wheat bread?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Fin3cy6 wrote:
I'm having a hard time trying to quickly level up my pets, and I'm on a meager supply of crowns so I can't buy the mega pet snacks (I'm a kid so I tell you I owe a huge debt because I used my allowance to pay for crowns and membership), so I started farming them. People always say that Prickly bear cactus are the best source of mega snacks, but what are the chances? On the wizard101 wiki it had a huge list of over 20 normal snacks with only about 2 mega snacks that can be harvested, which is a 1/10 chance of getting one. Is it worth planting, or should I stick with the bread fruit bushes to get the golden wheat bread?

Prickly Bear Cactus is not "the" best source for mega snacks, but is one of the better ones to plant for free. Fruit Bushes have a low success rate and are large plots (less plants you can grow total).

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:

If you have any extra crowns at all, i'd say get some Couch Potatoes. In my experience when they go elder, they always drop a mega snack, and a Couch Potato seed.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
I tried planting breadfruit trees for the mega snacks. What I found was that they don't give seeds often enough to reproduce themselves so I was constantly having to buy more.

I now have a garden of 20+ Prickly Bears. They take most of one wizard's efforts to meet their needs and deal with pests, but they produce a steady supply of megasnacks. They also produce seeds faster than necessary to reproduce themselves, so I get an income from selling the surplus.

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
I have found that prickly bears are the best non crown plant to grow for snacks, I also have a garden of over 20. You get a decent amount of snacks and an occasional level 8 mega snack.

Prickly Bear's need bees and music for care, and pests can be as high as level 3. To tend a large field you would need a minimum of 45 energy plus some for planting when needed, not bad really. A large field of evil magma peas needs 55 energy.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
Fin3cy6 wrote:

The prickly bears were the only plants I was doing because I am having success with them. Mostly sun fruit and Crab Apples. The four bread plants, in my humble opinion, are worthless. You might try what I just found that can be bought in wintertusk. Maelstrom Snap Dragons. I hear they are the best, non crown, producing plants for mega snacks. Good Luck.

A.K.A. Steven Hawk

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
stevespeaks wrote:

The prickly bears were the only plants I was doing because I am having success with them. Mostly sun fruit and Crab Apples. The four bread plants, in my humble opinion, are worthless. You might try what I just found that can be bought in wintertusk. Maelstrom Snap Dragons. I hear they are the best, non crown, producing plants for mega snacks. Good Luck.

A.K.A. Steven Hawk

The big drawback to the Maelstrom Snap Dragon is that it does NOT drop its own seed.

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
GamingDan wrote:

The big drawback to the Maelstrom Snap Dragon is that it does NOT drop its own seed.

Neither does the honey sickle unfortunately. I had a mega garden of them on 2 of my students in order to harvest blades for other schools since we cant train for a secondary school single blade anywhere :(
Very unhappy that honey sickle doesnt drop it's own seeds, but it is an awesome plant for single school blades treasure cards :) Always gives 2 at final harvest and a one here and there at other harvest times. If you get a bunch for a school you will never use, blade treasure cards sell good at the bazaar. I have a ton of ice blades usually, and none of my students have ice as a second school and they sell usually for 250 or a bit less depending on the need at the bazaar for them