Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions from a New Player

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Hello all,
I'm an ex WOW player and I've recently discovered Wizard101. I think its the best thing since sliced bread, but theres quite a few things I'm confused about. Any help would be appreacited.

1. Is there no Global/Zone/LFG channels or am I doing it wrong? I wanted to ask for help in game but it was near impossible as I had to run around where I saw clumps of people hoping someone would respond to my chat bubble. How do people usually find groups? When you are in a group, what mechanics does that entail, like exp sharing or what? What are the limitations to the teleport to friend device?

2. Is it true all combat gear you can buy with crowns can be either found or bought with lots of gold?

3. I'm really confused about the secondary school/TP system. Is there a way to use TP just to enhance my primary school or do I have to pick a secondary school? Also for spell schools that have more then one trainer. Do I need to buy all spells from the novice trainer before I buy the spells from the advanced trainers on other worlds or do I just have to buy the spells previous for each individual trainer?
For instance I want to be death primary and for RP purposes I'd really rather only use death creatures to attack. Am I sopposed to buy the intial creature summons and not use them and then just use the enhancement spells from that school?
Any secondary training suggestions if I want to avoid non combat Death spells and ths life school in general?

4. Is there any way to turn a treasure card into a real card? Is there any way to vendor cards or treasure cards? If I turn a card into a treasure card do I lose that spell?

5. How is who goes first in combat decided?

I think thats enough for now :-P

Thanks in advance!

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
1. Currently the chat system is as you described it. Just find a clump of people and hope that someone is there who can answer your questions. Exp in groups is handled individually (i.e., as if you were soloing the encounter). In order to get quest credit and loot, however, you must do something during the combat rounds in which the mob in question is alive. In other words, you can't stand there and pass every turn and get quest credit. There are no limitations to friend teleporting, and some people seem to spend their entire play time porting to friends to see where they are.

2. Not found but bought with gold yes. The exception is some of the special pets that Zeke sells (i.e., storm beetle).

3. All spells in your school from all card vendors are free to you. Therefore, you can only spend training points on other school spells. Keep in mind that not all spells available for a school are on a card vendor, some are class specific and acquired through quests. Each school will have one primary trainer (or two linked trainers in the case of death and balance) as well as spells available on the various secondary trainers in the spiral. You must train primary spells in order. All spells from all secondary trainers can be trained in any order. I'm really not sure what you're asking about your death school and you didn't specify if this was your school choice, so I can't offer specific secondary school recommendations. In my opinion, there is no bad choice for a secondary school, other than spending points in more than two different schools.

4. No. No. No, the card is placed in your sideboard and treated as any other treasure card. The original spell remains in your spellbook.

5. After teams are placed on the dueling circle, the game randoms for which team goes first. Spell selection is made, and characters cast spells in order of the duel circle (sun, eye, star, etc).

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Just to make sure I understand right...
When I use an enchantment card on a spell card I have, a COPY of that card with the enchantment enhancement is created as a treasure card and there is no effect on the original spell card right?

And regarding TP and secondary schools. I think I understand it better but I'm still trying to feel my way around it. I was thinking of training all the shield spells sold at the fairgrounds since they have no prior requirments and I figure they would be useful for a Necromancer. What do you think?
I read in another thread about a similar subject that someone said he didnt spend points on a secondary school but waited until he got to kroptopica and purchased the prism instead, what did he mean?

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
There are three ways to get a spell into your deck for duels. First, you can place copies of spells that you have trained into your spellbook. Second, you can equip items (i.e., wand) that give one or more cards. These are colored blue to distinguish themselves from trained spells. Third, you can acquire treasure cards and place them in your sideboard. After discarding (or running out of cards to draw) you can draw a random treasure card from your sideboard by clicking the draw button. Since treasure cards and blue cards are in more limited supply than trained spells, they are usually more efficient than similar trained spells.

To use an enhancement treasure card (i.e. tough), draw it from your sideboard and use it on a spell in your book. Keep in mind that you may only enhance spells that you have trained, not blue cards or other treasure cards. Once you do this, the spell in question is changed into a treasure card with the enhanced properties and can be used on the spot or saved for later. I believe the original spell card is consumed as if you discarded it, but I'm not sure. In any case, that card will be available to you to use for the next duel.

One thing that you can do with this is to buy tough or keen eyes from the librarian in unlimited quantities and make spells into treasure cards for future use. I usually make area spells, that I don't have much use for soloing, into treasure cards to have when I need them.

In my opinion, the single shield spells are not worth training, since each school has a shield spell that shields two schools for one spell. If you were careful in your secondary school choices, you could have every school covered in your shielding needs just from training from the primary trainers.

Regarding the prisms. Each school (except balance) gets a prism spell that converts their damage type into the opposing school. All of these spells are received as quest rewards and therefore you may only ever have your school's prism at your disposal. What this person was probably referring to was the spells available from the balance secondary trainer on the sphinx island. There are four of these spells in question, and they give a blade or trap for all three elemental schools or all three spirit schools for one mana (i.e. spirit blade gives +35% to each death, myth, and life for one mana).

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
LordMarshal wrote:
Just to make sure I understand right...
When I use an enchantment card on a spell card I have, a COPY of that card with the enchantment enhancement is created as a treasure card and there is no effect on the original spell card right?

Yup. That's right. If you want to use that enhanced spell, just click on the treasure card tab and add the enhanced card to your deck.

LordMarshal wrote:
And regarding TP and secondary schools. I think I understand it better but I'm still trying to feel my way around it. I was thinking of training all the shield spells sold at the fairgrounds since they have no prior requirments and I figure they would be useful for a Necromancer. What do you think?
I read in another thread about a similar subject that someone said he didnt spend points on a secondary school but waited until he got to kroptopica and purchased the prism instead, what did he mean?

Sirap is right. It's not really recommended to learn all the shield spells in the fairgrounds. There are necklaces that are dropped by bosses that have enhanced shield spells in them. An example is the greebly necklace that has enhanced ice shield spells. If I remember correctly, this can also be bought in the krokotopia shop.

There are much better ways to make use of your extra training points. Have you tried the trainer in colossus boulevard? There's an awesome spell there that lets you reshuffle spent cards you used during combat back into your deck again.

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
lupan wrote:
Have you tried the trainer in colossus boulevard? There's an awesome spell there that lets you reshuffle spent cards you used during combat back into your deck again.

The reshuffle treasure card (available in unlimited supply from the librarian) is better for several reasons.

-It costs one less pip to cast
-It doesn't require using a training point
-You can put it in your sideboard and only draw it when needed (random draw from your sideboard) instead of taking up a space in your main deck