Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

MC Spritely vs. MC Unicorn

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I have a Nightmare that has both Spritely and Unicorn. I find that she casts Spritely a lot more--in fact almost exclusively. Unicorn shows up once every few days. Since these are both "health" talents, shouldn't they be governed by the same stats?

If anyone else has a pet with both, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. I'm thinking about hatching her further to try for some universal resist, and wonder if the Unicorn talent is worth preserving in the future. Thanks for any input.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
I have a Nightmare that has both Spritely and Unicorn. I find that she casts Spritely a lot more--in fact almost exclusively. Unicorn shows up once every few days. Since these are both "health" talents, shouldn't they be governed by the same stats?

If anyone else has a pet with both, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. I'm thinking about hatching her further to try for some universal resist, and wonder if the Unicorn talent is worth preserving in the future. Thanks for any input.

well actually my friend has a pet right now called the frontier dragon and so do i i think you get more health from the spritely talent because his other pet the nightmare had the unicorn talent and it didn't cast it very often

Legendary Level 63 Sorceror
Isaac Dragonthorn

Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
I hate to answer with anecdotes, but last week I fought a fire wizard in pvp and his pet cast unicorn 5x in 8 rounds (let me tell you how that turned out). Of course, that's probably discarded in a bell curve analysis, but I've seen unicorn cast by pets a lot. It does seem to fire less than spritely though.

One advantage of unicorn is getting all of your health right away.

This comes in handy during pvp and at the end of a fight in pve when your spritely doesn't have 3 rounds to heal you.

It would be neat to see someone use a huge sample size of fights to analyze the % of may cast

Since your pet has both talents, it can't be argued that the pet's stats influence the "may cast" % (if that does actually happen).

This would be a good spot for Prof. Greyrose to give us some input.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Think of spritely as Spell Proof, if you have high enough stats, you can get a 10, that is 10% chance a trigger will activate this spell.

Now, think of Unicorn as Spell Defy, if you have high enough stats, you can get a 5, that is a 5% chance a trigger will activate this spell.

Now, if you stats are lower, so will your chances, spell proof can get as low as an 8 and spell defy a 4... Meaning 8% chance and 4% chance of activating on a trigger...

Hope this helps!

Historian
May 01, 2010
It MIGHT just be activated by damage only (unicorn that is), it would make sense that fire would have a higher chance, because they attack 2-4 times a turn (lots of buildup, and DoTs) while spritely can be triggered by a bunch of different things, fizzles, attacks, heals etc.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2010
My friend has a nightmare with unicorn and it seems it only cast after two high damage attacks and more often double attacks although the talent is still cast rarely as it is an epic talent and heals alot. As with spritely doesn't heal as much, it is cast more often. I thought stats determined how often but when I trained my wood golem it didn't cast the talent anymore than usual. Although I think getting the talent by a hatch where both parents don't have spritely also lowers the chance of casting that talent and pets naturally with spritely often cast the talent more often. I have a starfish pedigree 61 and a wood golem pedigree 32. I hatched the two together and got a wood golem pedigree 47 that now knows does know spritely. It doesn't cast spritely as much as my starfish that knew the talent before.

But I mostly think different pets have different triggers and the triggers may be much rarer. Maybe that's it or just the pets rarity itself and that determines the talents random cast. :D

But for right now it's a mystery :D
I say both talents are useful but if in a hard situation unicorn is better.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
I find that she casts Spritely a lot more--in fact almost exclusively. Unicorn shows up once every few days. Since these are both "health" talents, shouldn't they be governed by the same stats?

It makes sense they would, but it's not guaranteed, I suppose.

The main thing you are up against is that Spritely apparently triggers anytime anyone (friend or foe) gets "hit" (blades, traps, heals, etc., count, interestingly), whereas Unicorn apparently only triggers when YOU get "hit".

I have a friend who indicates that a battle hit triggered a Spritely and the Spritely "hit" in turn triggered a Unicorn (or vice versa).

When I had a fairly untrained Nightmare, I discovered Unicorn came up more often in solo battles than in group battles -- kinda' defeats the purpose. But that makes sense since I'm the only one on my side who can be hit when I'm solo, so I give the pet more shots at it.

However, later, I got Unicorn into my Pet Rock and trained her up really well -- and I can get six or eight Unicorns in a single battle in places like Tower of the Helephant.

So my suggestion -- if you haven't already done it -- is to work on building up a pet with high attribute potential, then hatch Unicorn into the mix, and train it to the max.

I think then you'll be fairly happy with your Unicorn talent.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
It isn't only unicorn that does not or rarely cast at all. It is weakness This has cast two times in three months, single target attacks any attack or me throwing weakness. Life shield and storm shield may cast rarely works. blades and traps are minimal but sprite is the only one that seems to cast as it should. My judgement is the most useless pet ever, may cast weakness maybe next century.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
People who "study pets" have found Unicorn comes up less. It makes sense, as Unicorn is better and a whole lot more pips.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
What seems to work is boosting up your pet's will, it seems to help trigger spritely more. Also, here's what else I've found out:
Boosting up pet stats that give defense statistics make your pet cast defenses more.
Boosting up pet stats that give power statistics make your pet cast boosts more, such as blades and traps.

What I'm trying to figure out is what triggers heals more, but hope this helps!

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Think of spritely as Spell Proof, if you have high enough stats, you can get a 10, that is 10% chance a trigger will activate this spell.

Now, think of Unicorn as Spell Defy, if you have high enough stats, you can get a 5, that is a 5% chance a trigger will activate this spell.

Now, if you stats are lower, so will your chances, spell proof can get as low as an 8 and spell defy a 4... Meaning 8% chance and 4% chance of activating on a trigger...

Hope this helps!

That's not correct. It's been found that all may cast skills have the same chance, regardless of pedigree, level, pet level, and what not.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
Many people say that unicorn is only activated if you are the person that actually gets hit. This is why unicorn is seen more commonly in 1v1 fights when only you can get hit. In return during 3v3s and 4v4s since you dont have to be hit to have spritely activated, plus there are many more spells going on in a 3v3 or 4v4 spritely occurs more and more often than unicorn does. I would say thats how most people see it and why unicorn is casted more or less than spritely for some than others since some players like to do 1v1s and others like 3v3s and 4v4s.

Hope this helps.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Alvanax wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Hope this helps!

That's not correct. It's been found that all may cast skills have the same chance, regardless of pedigree, level, pet level, and what not.

It's been found? And who did the supposed finding? Was it an official statement by KI? Was it from a programmer?

Another fact, that you might want to know, spritely has more triggers than other may cast talents. When in a battle, say a 4v4 and an AOE is cast, your pet gets 4 chances at casting spritely, just from 1 spell, not even counting if that spell is an AOE DOT, where every time damage is done, it gets another chance to be cast.

Also, spritely may be cast when doing damage and when receiving damage, where as with unicorn, it only gets a chance to be cast when you are hit and only 1 chance per hit, which greatly reduces the chances of it casting compared to spritely.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2009
Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
totally keep unicorn. it doens't show up as much, but it is great when questing with friends. if you have a pet that has only unicorn and a pet that has only sprite, switch them out depending on if your questing with people. my pet doesn't cast unicorn that much ( it has unicorn, spritely and stormblade) but it is great when it does

Sean Goldblood lvl 82 diviner and lvl 26 thermaturge

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Unicorn and batusi activate only when you take damage. Spritely will activate anytime damage is done to anyone. So spritely activates more often because it has a chance of activating everytime you do damage to a creature, a creature gets hit by a damage over time, your friend takes damage, or you take damage. So in a full battle of 4 players and 4 monsters, there is a much bigger chance of spritely activating. Unicorn and batusi are nice to have if you can ensure you are the target, but spritely is the healing ability you should shoot for.

Tested this out extensively with a pet that has all 3 talents.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
darthjt wrote:
It's been found? And who did the supposed finding? Was it an official statement by KI? Was it from a programmer?

Another fact, that you might want to know, spritely has more triggers than other may cast talents. When in a battle, say a 4v4 and an AOE is cast, your pet gets 4 chances at casting spritely, just from 1 spell, not even counting if that spell is an AOE DOT, where every time damage is done, it gets another chance to be cast.

Also, spritely may be cast when doing damage and when receiving damage, where as with unicorn, it only gets a chance to be cast when you are hit and only 1 chance per hit, which greatly reduces the chances of it casting compared to spritely.
LOL. You are arguing about two different things, due to an ambiguity in terminology.

He is addressing the May Cast odds per triggering event.
You are addressing May Cast odds across a measure of time.

The way he looks at it, each triggering event has some number. Let's say 5%. Fine.

But if Spritely has 27 triggering events (any hit on any player) in the battle and Unicorn gets 3 (owner is hit), then of course Spritely looks like a higher casting rate -- it was triggered more often.

So it comes down to imprecise terminology -- hardly a useful thing to have an argument over.

* He is talking about its "Functional Casting Rate". What roll of the dice, if you will, triggers the effect.
* You are talking about its "Operational Casting Rate" (some might call it the "Effective Casting Rate"). How likely the event is going to occur under given circumstances.

So you're both right.

And, side note, there is testing going on and the findings (not authoritative statements, which is what statements from KI or programmers might be, but findings, meaning the results of testing and investigation) are showing some pretty solid patterns. You might check out duelist101.com for more information.

Assuming you care. :-)

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixe Realm