Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Any spells you don't use much anymore?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
The game has changed a lot, especially in PvP. Strategies have been pushed into different directions, new spells and gear has had heavy influences on PvP play. Maybe even more so for some schools than others. So what spells for you, if any, do you find yourself rarely using now? Or if the opposite has occurred, what do you use more of?

I use a lot more infection. And a lot more pierce like spells and a whole lot more heals. Before Celestia I would never heal this much. But I find myself on average cranking out about 4 heals a fight at the minimum.

One spell I rarely use now is earthquake. It used to be my go to spell when players would have to rely on multiple blades for firepower. Now that everyone's attack boosts is hitting 60%, sun spells are in play to instantly boost hits, I can no longer justify spending three power pips on earthquake as frequently as before. This is not to say I don't ever carry it in my deck. I still find someone to punish with it. But not as frequently as before. I even shield slightly less than I used to. For me, myth in PvP has been pushed more toward stun. Talos stuns a whole lot. Medusa double stuns. I've now been pushed away from earth and more toward stuns. Its an interesting change.

I guess the one thing that hurts me about that change is earth cannot be relied on to reduce offense like it used to. As a result I'm taking much bigger hits more often. But other classes like death have that nice virulent plague for -45 and Fire has Efreet for-90. I'm not jealous. It's just something I'm working around.

While I don't have a big way to reduce damage anymore like I used to, I still have weakness, fortify, shields. But I also now have my stunning. It's an interesting change for me. Too bad. I really liked earthquake.

What about you guys? What do you use less of? What do you use more of?

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
The game has changed a lot, especially in PvP. Strategies have been pushed into different directions, new spells and gear has had heavy influences on PvP play. Maybe even more so for some schools than others. So what spells for you, if any, do you find yourself rarely using now? Or if the opposite has occurred, what do you use more of?

I use a lot more infection. And a lot more pierce like spells and a whole lot more heals. Before Celestia I would never heal this much. But I find myself on average cranking out about 4 heals a fight at the minimum.

One spell I rarely use now is earthquake. It used to be my go to spell when players would have to rely on multiple blades for firepower. Now that everyone's attack boosts is hitting 60%, sun spells are in play to instantly boost hits, I can no longer justify spending three power pips on earthquake as frequently as before. This is not to say I don't ever carry it in my deck. I still find someone to punish with it. But not as frequently as before. I even shield slightly less than I used to. For me, myth in PvP has been pushed more toward stun. Talos stuns a whole lot. Medusa double stuns. I've now been pushed away from earth and more toward stuns. Its an interesting change.

I guess the one thing that hurts me about that change is earth cannot be relied on to reduce offense like it used to. As a result I'm taking much bigger hits more often. But other classes like death have that nice virulent plague for -45 and Fire has Efreet for-90. I'm not jealous. It's just something I'm working around.

While I don't have a big way to reduce damage anymore like I used to, I still have weakness, fortify, shields. But I also now have my stunning. It's an interesting change for me. Too bad. I really liked earthquake.

What about you guys? What do you use less of? What do you use more of?

Resist is the key to reducing damage if you're myth.
A list of spells that I don't really use a lot anymore:
Scarab (not even in deck)
Scorpion (not even in deck)
Locust swarm (not in deck)
Infallible (not in deck)
Precision (not in deck)
Thunder Snake (not in deck)
Lightning Bats (not in deck)
Storm Shark (not in deck)
Kraken
Stormzilla
Sandstorm (not in deck)
Ra isn't really a good spell
Bladestorm is kind of my desperate blade I guess?
Judgement is only my finisher if my mostly used spells don't kill
Mander Minion
Spectral Minion
Pixie
Spells that I mostly use:
Spectral Blast
Balanceblade
Power Nova
Hex
Spirit Shield
Elemental Shield+amulet
Hydra
Dragonblade
Helping Hands
Availing Hands

Sad to know that I only keep a limit of using 10 spells mostly. Wizard101 is getting to more of the forced to use certain spells type of game. They should make it so that we don't only get 1 spell a year, but a set of spells. When Chimera comes out, bye bye Hydra. That's a little how w101 is getting.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
I never really used it in the first place, but there are two slots for dark pact in my Necromancer's deck, which has around seventy cards total.

I also used to take plague and skeletal pirate for granted, but now I'm using a lot of that. And, in terms of strategy, I'm switching more towards support as Death's attack spells get less and less usable and, (in Katzenstein Monster's case, weaker) I rarely do 1v1 PvP anymore.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2009
When i face Myths, i lose every time. Only because of Medusa. When i battle in PvP i watch how the other schools battle. why? so i am ready to face that school. Myth is different though. when i face myth they shield first round, shield second round, myth blade third round, and Medusa (with gargantuan) fourth round. then, your opponent gets stunned for two rounds. while they are stunned use minotaur (enchanted with gargantuan). If that's not enough, then use little spells like cyclops. my storm wizard uses lightning bats for 1800. people have never noticed how powerful "newbie" spells can be. You are correct though, earthquake is not that good anymore in PvP. even if they have tons of shields you could just use shatter for half the pips. My storm boost is 90 percent. that is a feint and a storm blade with nothing, so earthquake will have no effect on my blades. I hope this helped you and gave you a new idea for 1v1.

Andrew Thunder-blade Legendary Diviner
Andrew Red-flame Legendary Pyromancer
Andrew Death-caster Legendary Necromancer
Andrew Earth-breaker Master Sorcerer

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
I hardly ever use freeze.
I have not used frost beetle in... a year?
Ice armor is mostly good for pvp, but not much else.
Distract, taunt and stun block, I almost never use...
The minion spells I have never used before and don't plan on it...
Steal Ward is occassionally useful.
I never use the accuracy or cloak enchantments.
Anything in Life below Seraph I almost never use.
And, most of all:
I never use treasure cards! They sell for good money, and I don't really need them.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
"Wizard101 is getting to more of the forced to use certain spells type of game. They should make it so that we don't only get 1 spell a year, but a set of spells. When Chimera comes out, bye bye Hydra. That's a little how w101 is getting."

Well Joujou, it's just like any other part of the game. You have to set yourself up for the situation. You wouldn't use infection on an ice boss in Celestia right? So that whole "use certain spells" mindset that we are forced to fall into is prevalent in all parts of the game. Although in PvP it is definitely more strict if you want to survive and put up a good fight.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2010
I don't use the following anymore:
imp
seraph
pixie
minor blessing
dark pixie

Spells i use A LOT:
Spirit blade
spirit trap
dragon blade
wraith
banshee
feint
centaur
life blade
satyr
regenerate
dream shield
life trap

I have more that are in my deck but I save them for when I have nothing else

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
Well, ice armor has become obsolete, I never used taunts in the first place.
I use less collosus now, but it's more reliable than snow angel so i keep it around. Frost giant was pretty much unaffected. I shield much more than i used to with tower shield. Frozen armor is potentially more useful than healing if people weaken my healing and can't remove the shield without damage, so i'm using more absorbs now. I was forced to fully crank up my offensive power, so i need more iceblade than i used to. Healing became mandatory. And that's about it I suppose

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I used to PvP on my life girl, Caroline Sunbright, and also on my death girl Emily Spiritriver, but then I stopped PvPing. But I guess if I was still doing PvP, I wouldn't be using sanctuary or empower much anymore.

Explorer
Dec 16, 2009
Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
Here are what I mostly use: judement, power nova, balanceblade, hex, my sheilds ( Elemental and spiritual) and weakness. I hardly use spectral blast and under.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hi. I follow a belief I stole from the Young Samurai series: A samurai who dies with a sword still sheathed suffers great dishonor. lol. I make use of a great many spells. Out of all the Storm spells, the ones I don't have in my spell deck (which is multipurpose by the way) are as follows: Lightning Bats (carried in gargantuaned treasure card form) Thunder Snake (not used) Lightning Strike (not used) Windstorm (the multi enemy trap, not used) Supercharge (carried in some speciality spell decks, like for Waterworks [one shotting Luska] and Tower of the Helephant [Punishing Ervin]) Cleanse Charm (not used) Soothe/Mega Soothe (not used) Storm Shield/ Storm Trap (not used) Sap Power (not used) Disarm (not used) Dissipate (not used) Water Elemental (not used).
I know that seems like a lot of cards missing for a wizard trying to unsheathe all his swords, but I make good use of damage spells, lol. For outside of storm, I do not use Spirit Armor, Sprite, Imp, all non shield Ice spells, elemental trap, Infallible (recently trained) and elemental blade (recently removed in favor of 2 extra copies of Sirens.

Cya in the Spiral

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!