Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

To Level Up or Not to Level Up?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 01, 2010
So I have 3 Legendary Wizards now. My first two (Fire and Balance) are anxiously waiting for Zafaria to open up as they are bored and have nothing much to do. However, my third Legendary Wizard (Storm) just turned 60. I was not quite done with Dragonspyre when this happened so I went ahead and finished it out and defeated Malistaire but obviously got no XP for that.

My question is this though. Now that we know Zafaria will allow us to get to level 70, should I wait to begin Celestia, thus leveling up very fast to 70 as I get a lot of XP for relatively easy Celestian quests compared to what will be in the new world? OR, do I just go ahead and grind Celestia out and get no XP for my efforts just so I can do Zafaria when it opens up?

Just wondering what others might do in this situation.

Thanks,

Valkoor StormHunter - Legendary Fire
Vanessa StormHunter - Legendary Balance
Valerian StormHunter - Legendary Storm

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
You won't level up any faster if you wait. You receive the same xp regardless. Entrance into Celestia and Zafaria are not just level based, but also require a certain quest to be completed as well. So it doesn't matter if you hold off the xp (it's only delaying your entrance into Zafaria). Plus, the extra xp you receive will just level you 70 way before you complete Zafaria, so the situation you are in now starts all over again.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I ask: To level or not to level? That is the question.

@CFDaddy,

I have the same question, and have been pondering it since the Wintertusk release. 'Tis a seeming philosophical question, one that has many facets and elicits passionate responses from fellow wizards.

As I have recently learned, the best answer to this perennial, angst-ridden question is this: Simply play the game, enjoy the company of good friends, amuse yourself with pursuits such as crafting and pet genetics, and discover ways to progress through content outside of the paradigm of experience points.

You see, my recent schooling in the Philosophy of Wizard Play has led me to understand that at 4 legendary wizards, one mid-level wizard, and one neophyte wizard, I become highly frustrated when I view my progress in the game as a competition with myself, my other wizards, my friends, or the game. Now I just play the game for the pleasure of well made graphics, challenging crafting and boss quests, and my friends around the world in real time interaction. 8)

The short answer is this: It doesn't matter which route you choose to level up your wizard (s). At some point around level 60, you will find yourself with a world in the Spiral that will give no XP. After the release of Zafaria, we will all find ourselves with a world to complete for little to no XP, imho. Essentially, this means that our question is purely philosophical, and thus has no concrete answer

For what it's worth, I understand that the elimination of the grind is a quest among MMORPG designers, so perhaps we are learning what that means for gamers. It seems to be a good move, although possibly an uncomfortable learning curve for wizards. Maybe one of our esteemed professors could chime in here and open a conversation about the concept of XP-free, grindless, gaming? ;)

Begging your pardon for the philosophical interlude and happy XP-free questing to you,

Queenlybluebean, Legendary Theurgist, Sorceress, Pyromancress, and Necromancress

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Aside from experience, you are also delaying your chance to get certain new gear such as boss rings or athames when you are holding out on doing the quests for experience. And whether its through crafting or through questing, you should get the quests done so that you can familiarize yourself with who and where to get a desired strong athame or ring. Celestia brings about powerful heal boosts to the athame and rings. So try crafting quests or find a boss that drops certain good ones. You may not be able to find certain things at the bazaar. And these can be of benefit to you depending on your play style. So do the quests. Make the world(s) more accessible to you.

Explorer
Dec 15, 2009
Just ONE of my four legendary wizard finished CL! My balance, being first, finished Celestia quickly, but my death wizard was impatient to lvl up so he cheated with the Chancel. My third, my Ice, did every side quest in sight, while my storm did Wintertusk at a young lvl!

I can't bear to see XP getting wasted, even slightly, so I quickly retire my wizards when they hit max. It's pretty obvious what I'm going to do, but as for you it depends.

You have 2 characters that can go to Zafaria, so you won't be impatient to go, and you've done CL with 2 different characters, so it won't take you long. The only reason you wouldn't also wait, is if you have nothing to do now, which would result in wasted time now, and cramming multiple things, with little time later!

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Don't wait, if XP is your main concern. I have been to Zafaria in the test realm, and you will have no problem leveling up fast. The bottom line is now wizards will be level 70 and still not have finished Celestia, Zafaria, and/or Wintertusk.

My wish is for our wizardly teachers to offer us level capped students some extra credit points that could be spent at an extra credit store.

No matter what game I play, I feel a sense of disappointment when I have reached a level cap, and still have miles of questing ahead of me. It seems KI could offer up something like extra credit points that could be redeemed for items, pets, mega snacks, treasure cards, etc.