Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making useless spells useful!

AuthorMessage
Champion
Apr 18, 2010
You know those spelled in your deck that you never use? Or spells like donate power that just feel like a filler. So I was trying to think of ways to upgrade these spells, and this is what I came up with (or read from someone's post.)

Well, here they are:

Reduce threat and increase threat spells.

Fix:

When an increase threat spell is cast in a pvp match, it forces that player to cast single target spells on the caster for a certain amount of turns. It could range from 1-2 turns based on the strength of it (taunt vs mega taunt.) This spell would be removed from minions in pvp.

When a decrease threat spell is cast, the player who it is casted upon cannot select the caster as a target for single hit spell (when the screen comes up to select a target, the casters character won't be highlighted.) When going first, the effect wont take place until the next turn. It would last 1-2 turns based on the strength of the spell.

Sacrifice Minion Spells

Make these spells always go first. Make it only take away a percentage of the minions health (like 50%.)

Fuel

The pip cost should be 1 rather than 2.

Ice Armor

Take away the self only part of it. Make it cost 1-6 pips rather than X. Make the absorb 150 per pip used.

Frozen Armor

Make it absorb 200 damage per pip.

Lightning Strike

Lets completely change the spell. How about a 0 pip stun?

Disarm

Make it cost 0 pips.

Water Elemental

Bring it back to its old version or make it cast storm elf.

Buff Minion

Make it an aura.

Cleanse Ward

This should be 0 pips.

Mend Minion

Lets change it so that it revives your last cast minion to 50% of its max health.

Troll Minion

Rather than it being a 1-3 pips minion, it should be a 1-2 pips minion. Then make the cyclopes minion 3-4 pips. Now take away its ability to cast cyclopes and allow it to cast sprite. Now you have a low pip spammy minion that it different and no longer over shadowed by the cyclopes minion.

Minotaur Minion

Take away taunt and give it the ability to cast sprite and fairy. Also make it so that it heals and shields the player rather than itself.

Spirit Armor

Make it absorb 630. I know your thinking OP but trust me on this. It's the same amount a 3 pip life spell would heal.

Guidance

Make it 0 pips and along with the accuracy charm, it should come along with a 15% guiding light.

Sanctuary

Make it 2 pips.

Curse

Reason: Its just a weaker version of hex, and since death trap is so much better, no one uses it.

Fix: Add a 20% weakness to the spell.

Dark Pact

Make the blade a 55% one. You should get a good blade for taking damage and spending a pip.

Animate

When you cast the spell, a drop down menu appears and you can select which minion you want to summon (you can't select one that you don't have enough pips to cast.) (i.e. you have 6 pips, but you only want to spend 4 pips on a minion, you can summon the 4 pip minion with 4 pips.)

Elemental/Spirit Blade and Trap

Make them cost 0 pips. Due to damage bonus and power pips, people only use attacks in their own school, so most people only benefit from one blade. So why spend 1 pip on a 35% blade?

Precision

Make the charm +10% accuracy and +10% damage. Then make it so it never goes away (a permanent blade.) There would be a limit of 1 per person, spells like earthquake can still remove it.

Elemental/Spirit Defuse

Make them cost 4 pips.

Helping Hands

Reason: I know it is quite useful at lower levels, but once you get availing hands, you'll never use it again.

Fix: Change it to a 2 pip spell that heals 30+390 over 3 rounds. I raised the hpp to be equal to availing hands, and by making it a 2 pip spell, it becomes an infection clearer at lower levels.

Spectral Minion

Make it summon the old versions of the minions.

Power Play

Make it -15% outgoing damage to all enemies and +15% outgoing damage to all friends. Then make it a 2 pip spell.

Donate Power

Make it a 1 pip spell that puts a 30% weakness on you but then puts a 70% blade on someone of your choice. (A blade version of feint.) (Its only a 19% boost if you cast it on yourself due to the weakness, so its more of a team spell then a 1v1 spell.)

Concerns, criticism, thoughts? Feel free to post.

Questions about my reasoning? Feel free to ask.

Think I missed a spell? Please say so.

I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Some things I noticed:

Fuel- as a legend, i usually get power pips anyway, so 2 pips is basically the same, though i can see how that could be a problem for lower levels.

Buff minion-its a lower level spell (20 or something), and you usually go first, so I just hold it in my hand until my minion is actually going to use it on something worth while (talos-humongofrog, cyclops-well, cyclops etc.)

Mend Minion-not really a problem, the minion I use most is minotaur, and 350 is still half his health lol. Though, I do wish that the minions will stay a turn longer after they die, like if they die the same turn you heal them, then they get brought to life, instead of dying on the spot.

Other minions- myth's "low pip spammy minion" is the golem minion (zero pips) much use in cl, seeing as they dont have low ranked attacks. and i quite like the one pip cyclops minion, he donates me, sprites etc.

Minotaur Minion- No. The whole reason I cast that minion is for him to act as a big wall of meat, to take hits and let me heal. Btw, it does cast sprite when its health is low, and cast it on me the first turn out once.

Spirit Armor- Pretty good idea

Guidance- Not much to say, I like it the way it is, and 15% guiding light? Probably one or the other

Sanctuary- This spell is supposed to mirror D&G, and i dont see a D&G on your post, so l dont think you have a problem, should still mirror it then.

Curse- You are looking through the eyes of a legendary (I am too) not really sure what school you are, but remember, all spells are eventually going to " die off" to legendaries and higher, just because thats the way most games are.

Elemental/Spirit Blade and Trap- this spell is fine the way it is, I spend a pip or two on this because of the little extra boost it gives me.

Other than those, I cant really call out other spells, since i am not really those school, or have those spells.

Though I do have one idea, a myth only sun spell-duplicate, you put it on a trap (not sure about feint or not), it raises the the pips by one, and puts down two of those type traps (on spirit taps, puts down 2 myth, one life and death, cant be used on traps that a myth spell wont take up)

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Some interestng ones, and some bad/superfluous ones in here.

Solstice64 wrote:

Fix:

When an increase threat spell is cast in a pvp match, it forces that player to cast single target spells on the caster for a certain amount of turns. It could range from 1-2 turns based on the strength of it (taunt vs mega taunt.) This spell would be removed from minions in pvp.

When a decrease threat spell is cast, the player who it is casted upon cannot select the caster as a target for single hit spell (when the screen comes up to select a target, the casters character won't be highlighted.) When going first, the effect wont take place until the next turn. It would last 1-2 turns based on the strength of the spell.
Unsure about this one, but intriguing.

Sacrifice Minion Spells

Make these spells always go first. Make it only take away a percentage of the minions health (like 50%.)
How many pips? Because it wouldn't be worth it on most minions due to their relatively low max health as it is, much less it's current health.

Fuel

Why?

Ice Armor

Take away the self only part of it. Make it cost 1-6 pips rather than X. Make the absorb 150 per pip used.

Frozen Armor

Your frozen armor idea would make ice armor obsolete, and/or unbalancing if you could stack it up to ~4100 points of absorb.

Lightning Strike
You just want storm to become unbeatable death machines I guess ;)

Disarm

Make it cost 0 pips.
No comment

Water Elemental

Don't know what the old one was.

Buff Minion

Make it an aura.
A permanent aura? If not, there's a good chance the minion will not cast an attack spell before it runs out.

Cleanse Ward

This should be 0 pips.
It already is 0 pips.

Mend Minion

Lets change it so that it revives your last cast minion to 50% of its max health.

Troll Minion

Rather than it being a 1-3 pips minion, it should be a 1-2 pips minion. Then make the cyclopes minion 3-4 pips. Now take away its ability to cast cyclopes and allow it to cast sprite. Now you have a low pip spammy minion that it different and no longer over shadowed by the cyclopes minion.

Minotaur Minion

Take away taunt and give it the ability to cast sprite and fairy. Also make it so that it heals and shields the player rather than itself.

</div>
</blockquote>This would turn the entire dynamic of Myth minions on it's head. It just wouldn't work for PvE.

Spirit Armor

Make it absorb 630. I know your thinking OP but trust me on this. It's the same amount a 3 pip life spell would heal.
Sure, why not.

Guidance

Make it 0 pips and along with the accuracy charm, it should come along with a 15% guiding light.
No comment

Sanctuary

Make it 2 pips.

This spell is used quite often. It certainly is not meaningless. But reducing it to two pips just for the sake of it costing the same as the other rings?

Curse

Reason: Its just a weaker version of hex, and since death trap is so much better, no one uses it.
It is used all the time because it stacks.

Dark Pact

Make the blade a 55% one. You should get a good blade for taking damage and spending a pip.
Whoa. Dude! (A bit overpowering?)

Animate

When you cast the spell, a drop down menu appears and you can select which minion you want to summon (you can't select one that you don't have enough pips to cast.) (i.e. you have 6 pips, but you only want to spend 4 pips on a minion, you can summon the 4 pip minion with 4 pips.)
This one is my favorite.

Make them cost 0 pips. Due to damage bonus and power pips, people only use attacks in their own school, so most people only benefit from one blade. So why spend 1 pip on a 35% blade?
They are used all the time, because they stack.

Precision

Make the charm +10% accuracy and +10% damage. Then make it so it never goes away (a permanent blade.) There would be a limit of 1 per person, spells like earthquake can still remove it.
I like it.

Elemental/Spirit Defuse

Make them cost 4 pips.
I agree

Helping Hands

Reason: I know it is quite useful at lower levels, but once you get availing hands, you'll never use it again.

Fix: Change it to a 2 pip spell that heals 30+390 over 3 rounds. I raised the hpp to be equal to availing hands, and by making it a 2 pip spell, it becomes an infection clearer at lower levels.
It can still be an infection clearer in it's current state, but I guess this seems equitable.

Spectral Minion

Dunno what those were.

Power Play

Make it -15% outgoing damage to all enemies and +15% outgoing damage to all friends. Then make it a 2 pip spell.
Cool idea.

Donate Power

Make it a 1 pip spell that puts a 30% weakness on you but then puts a 70% blade on someone of your choice. (A blade version of feint.) (Its only a 19% boost if you cast it on yourself due to the weakness, so its more of a team spell then a 1v1 spell.)
I'd hate to be on the reciving end of someone with this, along with your version of dark pact and the other standard blades. 8)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I like your threat spells suggestions, however, the decrease threat spells would need some type of shield thing like stuns (since a 1v1 match would not have a viable target and the decrease threat caster could theoratically spam that spell and delay a match).

The Minotaur Minion is fine the way it is. It is the only viable tank minion for Myth wizards at low-mid level. If it starts using precious rounds to heal the Myth Wizard, it is not defending itself and therefore not tanking very well. The Cyclops minion already casts Sprite, so maybe your suggestion should include Fairy as an addition for the Cyclops Minion (or make Troll the healing minion and Cyclops the attacking minion).

Same thing for Water Elemental for Storm Wizards, however, I could see that change for the Balance Wizard version of the Water Elemental (Spectral Minion) since they can't guarentee a tanking minion anyways.

I personally think your suggestion for Power Play is overpowered. That suggestion coupled with Bladestorm gives allies 35% boost at the cost of only 3 pips and doesn't include any 0 pip boosts they may of casted themselves (potentially giving teammates at least 70% damage in two rounds....that's more powerful than Supercharge). KI would have to make even higher health enemies to present a challenge for that type of damage being dished out. Plus, your suggestion does not fit the mold for global spells (the spiral icon). Global spells are coded to affect everyone the same. My suggestion for Power Play was to introduce a new spell that lowers everyone's Power Pip chance by 35%, therefore, Power Play would be needed to get your percentage back to it's original state (and the spell becomes somewhat useful). But I agree that Power Play is rarely used by most wizards in the current state.

Finally, I believe your suggestion for Donate Power should be a completely new spell for Balance. Donate Power is great the way it is for certain encounters (like Luska, but 1 or 2 extra pips wouldn't hurt ). A Balance wizard casting Donate Power on a Storm Wizard after the Storm just casted Supercharge is a powerful combination (Tempest/Wild Bolt). Plus, I love when the Mander Minion casts that spell on me !!!

I'm starting to think that KI intends to phase out some spells. Most of the Wintertusk spells deliberately rendered some spells useless like Ice Armor and somewhat...Helping Hands, Plague and Link (they can be stacked, but most do not stack them).

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
Let's go through each of these, shall we?

Solstice64 wrote:

Fix:

I actually agree with this one. I won't get into a long winded explanation about tanks, and threat and aggro, but, basically, the system is screwed up in PvE in this game, and making this useful in PvP would definitely change things up, and maybe be fun.

Solstice64 wrote:
Sacrifice Minion Spells

No. Spells like these are intended to be used by Myth Wizards, like this:
Turn 1- Summon Puppet (0 pips)
Turn 2- Sacrifice

I use it quite a bit, and changing it would ruin myth's solo-ability by a ton. Many of your changes to "useless" spells make me doubt that you have played, or, at least, studied myth. With high Power Pip chances, this is VERY useful when soloing, though somewhat underrated

Solstice64 wrote:
Fuel

No. I can already see low level Pyromancers spamming Fuel, instead of learning how to play.

Solstice64 wrote:
Ice Armor

If you take away the self only part, 4v4 will be...not fun. Can you see Storms with fully lowed Ice Armors on them? Won't be a pretty sight. The 1-6 I agree with though.

Solstice64 wrote:
Frozen Armor

Don't know much about this spell, so not much to say here.

Solstice64 wrote:
Lightning Strike

-_- Storms that can stun...? And for 0 pips...? Are you insane? PvP is screwed up enough already. Storm doesn't need the ability to stun. Trust me.

Solstice64 wrote:
Disarm

Make it cost 0 pips.

That is done already. Source: https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/may2011

"Myth:
Earthquake no longer removes stun shields.
Pierce now cost 0 pips."

Solstice64 wrote:
Water Elemental

Not sure what you mean by this, so nothing to say.

Solstice64 wrote:
Buff Minion

Make it an aura.

Agree here...would be very useful for us myth solo-ers. On the other hand, we would always win the bubble war...and Talos would end up a bit overpowered in PvP.

Solstice64 wrote:
Cleanse Ward

This should be 0 pips.

Done already. See above, same patch notes.

Solstice64 wrote:
Mend Minion

No. Please no. I see why this would be useful in PvP, but don't cripple our solo-ability.

Solstice64 wrote:
Troll Minion

I don't know....Troll Minion is actually useful before it is replaced, so I don't know if it needs to be changed, but this might be useful.

Solstice64 wrote:
Minotaur Minion

No. Don't kill my tank. I spam Cyclops if I want something to heal. The only change I would want to see done to Minotaur minion would be making it have a "super taunt" that works on all ranks, and bosses.

Solstice64 wrote:
Spirit Armor

Its not a heal. Its an absorb. A last resort option. I could see it being raised to 450, but anything above that is overpowered.

Solstice64 wrote:
Guidance

I guess....this is useful when grouping with storm. The 0 pip cost should definitely be implemented, but with the Guiding light, it should stay 1 pip.

Solstice64 wrote:
Sanctuary

Make it 2 pips.

Agree. Life needs an edge in the Bubble War.

Solstice64 wrote:
Curse

Fix: Add a 20% weakness to the spell.

Wrong. It stacks with Feint and Hex. Just means more damage for a Necromancer to pump out, and, by extension, heal himself with.

Death wizards pump out enough damage as is, they don't need a buff.

Solstice64 wrote:
Dark Pact

Perhaps. Remember it stacks. Death doesn't need a buff, or more damage. Death /= Storm.

Solstice64 wrote:
Animate

Perhaps. Death is a little overpowered at the moment...I do not want to see them buffed. Animate is a little useless, but Death Wizards aren't struggling.

Solstice64 wrote:

No. The point of them is to get something to stack. Also, where else am I going to get rid of my poor lonely non power pip?

Solstice64 wrote:
Precision

Um. No? They are for boosting low levels who don't have gear to compensate for their low accuracy. It is quite useful for about 10 levels, then becomes obsolete.

Solstice64 wrote:
Elemental/Spirit Defuse

Make them cost 4 pips.

Don't know much about them....so no comment here. Also, your title says "Making Useless Spells Useful!". This spell is far from useless. Well timed, they will cripple an enemy.

Solstice64 wrote:
Helping Hands

So? You answered yourself: "it is quite useful at lower levels". Once I get Cyclops minion, I don't use Troll minion. Does that mean Troll minion needs to be fixed? No.

Solstice64 wrote:
Spectral Minion

Don't know what you mean here either....

Solstice64 wrote:
Power Play

I don't know. This is borderline overpowered. The 2 pip spell needs to be added. Balance always looses the bubble war.

Solstice64 wrote:
Donate Power

No. The LAST thing we need is another feint. Maybe for 20/50, but another 30/70? No.

Anyways, tell me what you think? I'd be willing to back and forth argue about this, and I'm curious what you think of my responses :-D

Delver
Mar 13, 2011

No. The LAST thing we need is another feint. Maybe for 20/50, but another 30/70? No.

Even that is too much. 30% Hex, 35% Hex, 20% Curse, 70% feint, different 70% feint, 75% feint, 50% feint blade, 40% death blade...When will it ever end? lol