Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tower of Helephant difficulty

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
@tweety,

Thanks for your excellent explanation of the strategy.

----------
What I have found is that problems in Tower of the Helephant are directly related to a lack of teamwork. Even one mistake on the first or last floors can cost the battle. The price for less-than-exceptional teamwork is steep, and the resulting punishments are rapid and relentless.

Here's the most common scenario I have encountered (in fact, ONLY when I have lost in ToH):

One or more members of the group are not close friends, family members, and/or regular companions of the other wizards.

The unknown teammate(s) are not acquainted with the battle style and well-developed strategies of the other members of the group.

The ToH noobies are unaware of the rules of engagement, and may not be properly geared up for the dungeon, and/or have a poorly set up deck.

A lack of communication or unwillingness to cooperate among teammates leads to a fatal error and resulting barrage of punishment.

The team gets stressed out and begins to grumble.

One or more members decide to go rogue and handle the battle one his/her own (usually the noobies, because it can be incredibly frustrating to feel powerless in the face of Lyon's clones or Ervin's evil bone dragon).

More punishment results from further infringement of the bosses' rules.

The stress level goes up and the battle quickly devolves into a futile heal-fest and/or fleeing and reentering the dungeon (this is usually a sign of impending doom).

Eventually all of the wizards lose hope and everyone dies.

This is truly a terrible way to spend a few hours, so now I NEVER go into Tower of the Helephant without my regular coven. At most, I am willing to take one noobie into the dungeon, but only if that wizard is recommended by one of my wizard-relations.

There are more than one strategy to beat this dungeon, but no strategy will work without great discipline among the wizards on the sigil.

Girl power!

Qbb/Moira/Iridian/Scarlet

Survivor
Mar 25, 2009
dvdlong wrote:
Ok, folks. Some corrections are in order.

My team and I have been at this for 7 hours. A transcended and 3 legendary's.

In the first session (without dying) we got to the final fight, getting past the first room and all the levels inbetween.

But the final fight appears to be different from the posts I have read as guides...

I have seen several posts about how that final fight works. Let me clarify what we have found because it seems something has changed since the folks who went through it and posted guides completed the tower.

1) The boss summons a minion each turn. Period. You don't have to put a trap or blade or anything else up. He will summon a 1500 myth minion each turn until he has four. (We tested this in one instance by passing two turns in a row to see what would happen).
2) Unless you can kill 2 minions each turn, he will get the fourth minion on pad and then start casting blizzards at the beginning of each turn. (If you only kill one of the minions, at the beginning of the next turn, he summons the minion you killed, and then he casts the blizzard.)
3) When his health falls below 10,000, the summoned minions will have 2500 health instead of 1500.
4) His casting the blizzard does not cost him pips.
5) If you heal someone one of the minions will cast the life and death dis-spell on you.

We got him down to ~3500 but could not keep ahead of the minion earthquakes (clearing all of your shields and blades), blizzards, and regularly-cast storm spells from the boss.

I have read posts that say the boss only summons a minion when you use a trap. Not true. A minion is summoned at the end of each turn.

Any suggestions from someone who's completed it lately?

This is what me and my friends did. Two of us attacked on his minions and the other two attacked on the main guy. That's how we won. Hope I helped

Isaac DragonThorn Liberator of the Helephant See you around the spiral

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
For the first fight, you really need to have at least one person who is Fire or has a Fire Mastery Amulet, AND has learned Quench which is the Fire dispel. You get it from a house in Colossus Boulevard. That will prevent Taurus from doing the -50% Smoke Screen. Always have one or two of them on him, not three because when we had done three of them to him, he tried to use that Smoke Screen and consumed two Quenches. I hope this helps someone.

For Lyon LoreStriker, I suggest this one:

dvdlong wrote:
Ok, folks. Some corrections are in order.

My team and I have been at this for 7 hours. A transcended and 3 legendary's.

In the first session (without dying) we got to the final fight, getting past the first room and all the levels inbetween.

But the final fight appears to be different from the posts I have read as guides...

I have seen several posts about how that final fight works. Let me clarify what we have found because it seems something has changed since the folks who went through it and posted guides completed the tower.

1) The boss summons a minion each turn. Period. You don't have to put a trap or blade or anything else up. He will summon a 1500 myth minion each turn until he has four. (We tested this in one instance by passing two turns in a row to see what would happen).
2) Unless you can kill 2 minions each turn, he will get the fourth minion on pad and then start casting blizzards at the beginning of each turn. (If you only kill one of the minions, at the beginning of the next turn, he summons the minion you killed, and then he casts the blizzard.)
3) When his health falls below 10,000, the summoned minions will have 2500 health instead of 1500.
4) His casting the blizzard does not cost him pips.
5) If you heal someone one of the minions will cast the life and death dis-spell on you.

We got him down to ~3500 but could not keep ahead of the minion earthquakes (clearing all of your shields and blades), blizzards, and regularly-cast storm spells from the boss.

I have read posts that say the boss only summons a minion when you use a trap. Not true. A minion is summoned at the end of each turn.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
I have no idea how you all got through it. My group and I got to the last room and then everything fell apart. The boss summoned helpers until all the spots were filled then he hit us with blizzard. The worst part was that even if you killed one of his minions, he brings it back after four rounds. Then he starts hitting you with Blizzard. There is no way to kill him and his minions without dying.

Madeline Dragonrider

Level 79 Pyromancer

Explorer
Apr 17, 2011
this is how i decided to do it first i have one life (for healing) and one death (for attacking) and an ice (for the tower shields) and i used the polymorph treant for healing too we first took out the two balance minions then we decided that we should kill taurus because he was helping ervin and thats how we did it :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
adam battleblade
level 60
myth

Survivor
Nov 21, 2011
Me 2 times it sucks and 3 more time boot me out of the tower

chase0719 wrote:
I completed the tower last night but when i checked my quests i still had it to do. It says I did not complete it but I did. Has this happened to anyone else?

Survivor
Jan 22, 2012
I've been in the Helephant Tower a few times now. I truly believe there is a bad glitch with this tower. When a team mate would get defeated and flee, they would come back only to find the dungeon reset.
Last night we tried again, made it all the way to end with only three of us because the fourth wasn't allowed back in. We had the guy down to under 500
life, when a team member was defeated she fled and again the dungeon reset on her when she went through the main entrance. I ended up being defeated before our last team member was able to make it back inside. So in sum: we started with four team members. After the first battle, one team member had to flee to heal and the dungeon reset on him. The three of us remaining made it to the end, until one player also had to flee to heal That left two of us. One more player was defeated, leaving me alone--and when one player tried to return, she was unable due to the dungeon reset--but she would have made it back with plenty of time to spare. The third player did not make it back in time before I was defeated. This dungeon reset error occurs a lot in this dungeon, and the four of us are beyond frustrated.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
To me the tower is a pain in the butt. Ive tried it probably 20 times and i still cant get it done even with a good team. ive had that quest ever scince wysteria came out in 2011. i hate that i cant get it done. if anyone else is like me and wants to team up and finish the quest id love to finally get it over with

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
toadess56 wrote:
chase0719 wrote:
I completed the tower last night but when i checked my quests i still had it to do. It says I did not complete it but I did. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes, it took me four hours and a couple of teams to defeat it and at the end i did not get the credit, that stinks, it says i still need to defeat lyon.

Yes, it just happened to me. Completed the whole thing and it still says I have to kill Lyon Lorestriker and shows it as an open quest. I'm very upset about it and just sent a ticket to customer support to find out why this is happening.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
Its pretty easy to level up when its that hard i say dont change it

Survivor
May 14, 2012
Tower of the Helephant is far to difficult even for most seasoned players. The first 4 are difficult enough to get past. The middles are fair and do-able while still being reasonably difficult. But the last one! Totally unreasonable and un-fair. So you are supposed to be able to "run" back in after you "die"? Forget it. On that last battle with the storm deamon, none of us could get back in and only one player was left. The entire thing re-set every last time. And the pips! Now, why should a spell put out by a boss or other creature not cost the same amount of pips that a player has to have to use that same spell? Yeah, toss out a skeletal dragon with only one pip when a player has to use seven! Use a Leviathan with only two or even one pip! Not fair and not good gaming practice. And folks, four (4) hours is far too long for any part of any game to continue.
For a game advertised on national tv as "kid friendly", this certainly is not good. So we teach our kids that a game is not fair and that rules are not for everyone. Some can cheat with impunity and do.

From all the many posts, I know that some players do master it. But if you took a poll, there are more players who have tried it and never gotten it than there are those who gloat about mastering it.
If you are one of the gloaters, please feel free to continue. I personally am very disgruntled with this and some other "quests" in the game. Level the playing fields; have different degrees of mastery for the towers and different degrees of reward. I am incensed when I use costly treasure cards and my reward? A couple of low value pet snacks. Really.

This tower is a cheat all the way around. Like one of the other posters said, I am so out of sorts with this that I really regret taking out a year membership.

dogsaver- level 68 Legendary Necromancer

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
Teennozoom77, have you tried the Tower of the Helephant? The first bosses are annoying...but the last boss is a pain. He gets all of his helpers and you kill one, after like two turns, he puts the one back. There is no way to kill him and the minions.

Madeline Dragonrider

Lvl 80, Pyromancer

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
Key words people: Teamwork. Teamwork. Teamwork
It cannot be stressed enough with a gauntlet of this magnitude.
It IS defeat-able! My friends and I have defeated this dungeon quite a few times.
It comes down to practiced skills, proper deck set up and a good team who knows how to communicate with each other. Set up 4 different decks if you must - one for each boss (although the middle floors are not the issue - it's the top and bottom floors that require the most skill and teamwork, especially proper deck set up).
I rather like the difficulty of this Tower; as it continues to pose challenges for the players no matter how many times they do it. For those that feel defeating it is an unattainable goal - go back out, quest some more, try out some different deck set ups, get the right teammates together, and try, try again. You CAN do it!
There's no point in grumbling. It is what it is - Difficult, Challenging, a True Test of Skills and Doable!

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
One of the fansites has guides to take down the bosses in 4 rounds:

Ervin and Taurus
http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/video-strategy-guide-first-floor-toth-in-four-rounds/

Lyon Lorestriker
http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/the-lyon-sleeps-tonight/

For the other floors, you can blade the first round and hit the second round, which has recommended decks here:
http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/mob-strategy/

With these strategies, the tower should take about 40-50 minutes.

Good luck!

Defender
Feb 17, 2012
chase0719 on Oct 20, 2011 wrote:
Did you do all of it?

Or did you just port partway through?

Survivor
Sep 22, 2012
i found using elemental dispels help alot!
balance wizard lvl 70

Survivor
Apr 04, 2012
I agree, i feel that the Tower of The Helephant is way to hard for a level 60. I think you should make wizard's get it at level 70, or at least make it less difficult. I also think it takes way to log to complete, i mean some players can't play that long.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
How do you get a team together to beat this quest when it wont let my friends in to help me. I have treid lvl50 and 100 life nechmand and a deah and they both get killed off. I wennt back again and again and they still get killed. How many times can those bosses cheat!
I didnt have enouigh gold to get the right cards to do this.
HELP!!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
freegal2014 on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
How do you get a team together to beat this quest when it wont let my friends in to help me. I have treid lvl50 and 100 life nechmand and a deah and they both get killed off. I wennt back again and again and they still get killed. How many times can those bosses cheat!
I didnt have enouigh gold to get the right cards to do this.
HELP!!
Have you tried any of the fansite groups who offer to help? Here is a link in case you need it:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-In-Game-Quest-Help-and-Meet-Ups

Survivor
Dec 21, 2011
well i personally think that tower of helephant are easy but wizards are complaining and doesn't use team work and are selfish with their traps and blades many of people doesn't understand that the key to tower of helephant completion are team work and sharing. i seriously think everyone should put their effort and keep the head in game and start planning i went to tower of helephant for first time today with my two team mates, fire and ice, they doesn't complain etc etc they really put their effort in the dungeon and are very supportful we beats every level easily and even beat the boss in less than 30 min, soo if you want to beat it remember the key is team work and sharing

Sincerely,
Raine
(rebecca moonflower, level legendary 63 life)

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
pleasantgirl on Oct 12, 2011 wrote:
The trick my husband and I found to beating Lyon Lorestriker is to have one of us focus on taking out one of his minions while the other focused on hitting Lyon. So long as he doesn't get three minions in the fight he won't blizzard. We went through it three times just the two of us and once with another player. It is hard but it's also doable.
In the first battle having storm dispell for the death guy will keep you from getting hit with leviathon. Also use treasure storm shields for defense.
I hope this helps you folks that are getting discouraged.
Good luck! :-)
Exactly, in the final boss there i told everyone i would take care of minions with storm lord and everyone hit boss

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
Nathan ShadowWeave... on Oct 12, 2011 wrote:
It may look hard but with a good team ( And a plethora of dispels ) It is very possible.
me and my friends went hardcore and did it with no dispels, me being a storm wizard i think i got hit with skeletal dragon like twice

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Yes, yes! I love to work through ToH with my best wizard friends. It's such a pleasure to spend an hour in the excellent company of reliable teammates :)

So far, I've completed ToH with Life, Death, and Fire wizards. I find the challenge to develop good strategies for each school of magic improves my skill with solo boss fights and group PvP. I have learned a great deal about strategic spell training as I work to maximize my effectiveness with the first floor bosses. I absolutely adore the energizing effect of hitting that first long battle right at the beginning of the tower.

The tower is a reward in itself, imho. Lexicon blade and the amulet drops are just sugar on top :D

Regards,

qbb
You are totally right it tests teamwork and skill and yes the drops are very nice,but i did it when i was transcendent lol

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
For anyone who posts in these forums about an area that they perceive as being "too difficult" for them, take note of something Professor Greyrose once posted in reply to wizards who had been posting their whiny talk about an instance they felt was too difficult at the time. This statement of hers applies to all areas of the spiral even to this day.

And I quote:
"Group Up! Sunken City and other areas in the Spiral are designed for groups to work together to a common goal. You need to rely on your friends to succeed at these duels. If there’s just one of you against the large number of creatures, you’re not going to last very long. Team up with your friends or make new friends by offering to join a group." ~Professor Greyrose, September 8, 2008

The rest of the thread is located here:www.wizard101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/game/1948/10356#10356

~Destiny~

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
We aren't whining. We are simply stating the fact that The Tower of the Helephant is very aggravating. Even when you go in with a group. (Four people). It is still very hard to get past. Has anyone done it recently? In 2013? If so please post how the battles went, and how many times you had to go back into the tower.

Thanks,

Madeline Dragonrider Pyromancer

PS, not about how you killed this or that. Just about how many times you had to retry it.