Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest Item Drop Rates Improve With Henchmen?

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
My level 49 Life wizard is currently attempting to collect mosaic tile pieces in Celestia. After no less than 18 sharks, I have not collected one tile. However, I have noticed that in other quests where I need an item from a mobile, if I hire a henchman, the rate increases. I've spoken with a few friends, who confirmed that, yes, hiring a henchman does seem to increase the frequency of collecting quest items. Is this actual code that you have written into the game, thus guaranteeing that players will use crowns in order to further their progress, or is this some sort of "fluke"? The fact that at least 5 of my friends noticed the exact same "fluke" leads me to believe that the game, or at least Celestia, was designed this way.

We have purchased crowns in the past, and can continue to hire henchmen in order to assist with battles. However, if KI has actually made it impossible to collect quest items without purchasing henchmen, that makes it quite a bit more difficult for people who either cannot afford crowns every few months or choose not to spend them on henchmen. In either case, the drop rate for quest items in Celestia as a whole is ridiculous. I understand the need to make this world more difficult and more challenging, but what KI has done, in truth, is create a situation that is incredibly frustrating and will lead to people abandoning the game. Perhaps during one of your many maintenance sessions, you could look at removing the code that increases the quest item drop with henchmen, or perhaps raise the percentage on item drop rates in Celestia. I am not suggesting making Celestia easier, I am simply musing that people, especially young adults and children, become impatient quite quickly, and being forced to engage in over 20 battles to acquire one item is extremely taxing, annoying, and may lead to frustrated players simply throwing their hands up and going back to WoW.

Thank you.

Molly-Master of Nature
Erin Ice Weaver-Legendary Ice Wizard

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I've never hired henchmen for a collect quest, and even if it did improve the drop rate (which i doubt) i still wouldn't hire henchmen for these battles. If it does increase the drop rate, then someone got their crowns worth and more power to them. -eli and crew

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
I agree. There are some things wrong with the game, (most of them minor) but this is by FAR the worst. It took me forever to get anything in CL!
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Champion
May 03, 2011
I am simply musing that people, especially young adults and children, become impatient quite quickly, and being forced to engage in over 20 battles to acquire one item is extremely taxing, annoying, and may lead to frustrated players simply throwing their hands up and going back to WoW.

Yes, this is an important point to make. My favorite questing partner was my 10-year-old son. He got his Pyromancer to Legend, then announced that he wasn't going to play much anymore because he couldn't stand going through those defeat-and-collects in Celestia again with another wizard. I can understand that the drop rate is meant to encourage patience. In lower realms, I think it works this way. In Celestia, where every battle is incredibly difficult, it only serves to suggest that hard work will not be rewarded. And many younger players will drop out, leaving their moms without a questing buddy :( .

Henchmen: I have noticed this also. I don't use them as much with my Death, but when I was playing my Myth in CL I often had to. Anecdotal evidence isn't really reliable, but it did seem as though drop rates improved with Henchmen. However, without hard numbers I'd be reluctant to make that claim, since Henchmen often came into play after the third or fourth unsuccessful try :? I.e., out of frustration as much as need. Someone should do an informal study and see what the numbers look like...I'd be interested to see the results.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
im going to make this explanation as short as possible
tag along with people on the same quest or ask friends the drop rate increase with 2 people and even more with 3 the 4th person doesnt matter i have confirmed this along with 3 of my friends this is not a theory its a fact

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010