Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hack hound, Need some changes!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2011
Hi,
Anyone with fire account must have noticed, Fire has too many spells which goes in 3 rounds and the Hackhound use up all your pips, but it attack in 3 rounds..Unlike the pip generated tempest in storm, which kills in one shot. Although we have like 10 pips and we attack the enemy, it takes 3 rounds to get the full affect and kill the opponent. Leaving us with no pips in next round, and by the time, they already put shield and heal, or attack us and we are dead. I think this spell need to be a one round shot since its pip generated. Just what I think.
Also I noticed fire fizz too much than other schools. Even with same accuracy on other accounts, fire fizz more.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Esmeralda20 wrote:
Hi,
Anyone with fire account must have noticed, Fire has too many spells which goes in 3 rounds and the Hackhound use up all your pips, but it attack in 3 rounds..Unlike the pip generated tempest in storm, which kills in one shot. Although we have like 10 pips and we attack the enemy, it takes 3 rounds to get the full affect and kill the opponent. Leaving us with no pips in next round, and by the time, they already put shield and heal, or attack us and we are dead. I think this spell need to be a one round shot since its pip generated. Just what I think.
Also I noticed fire fizz too much than other schools. Even with same accuracy on other accounts, fire fizz more.

I love Heckhound. Mine, Angel, is my preferred method of defeating high rank bosses with insane health. Angel can do well over 35,000 over 3 rounds. Nothing can stop her at that point, and healing won't help, because she delivers such massive damage per round. Angel brought the Sothmekhet down quite easily.

Heckhound is a Balance-style spell and, if you are patient, you can use the per-pip damage over time to devastating effect in quest battles and/or in PvP. Try building to a full tray of pips before you cast Heckhound. Since this takes about 7 rounds, you have plenty of time to shield, set blades and traps, and generally prepare for the few rounds when you will have no pips. During that time, repeat the shield and boost cycle while you save pips for another spell, and maybe cast a feint or two to boost the DoT damage. A well-prepared pyromancer should always have plenty of shields, towers are good, in the treasure deck.

Practice with your Heckhound before using her in high-stakes battles. Heckhound requires some planning, some patience, and yields great rewards! Good dog :-)

Warmest Regards,

Scarlet Ravensong, Legendary Pyromancer and Master Healer

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Just because the heck hound uses all your pips and takes 3 rounds for its damage to culminate, doesn't mean its not useful, or even incredibly powerful. If you are saving up all your pips and trying to kill your opponent in one turn, maybe fire isn't for you.

By the time you have max pips and a heck hound waiting on deck, you better have at least some other dot's on your target, or at least something to throw them off their game plan once they see that heck hound on the battlefield.

Especially going first, heck hound can be devastating. Your target will get hit twice before they have the chance to heal, and if you are like me, you stack a fire elf or two, fireblade, then heckhound with the remaining pips.

You either force them to heal, giving up pips and turns (just to have it undone when the DoT's get triggered next round) or they lose. Its a lovely situation i love to put others in, but hate to see used on myself.

::edit::
Just saw your part in the OP about fire fizzling more often than other schools. I've just noticed over the last few days that my fire spells do fizzle more often than my storm ones. Although there may be a lot of factors that lead to this...such as I use fire spells more often.
Going Fire/Storm was the most frustrating decision in my W101 life.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2010
Esmeralda20 wrote:
Hi,

This is why i picked Death and not Fire. Fire's DoT is annoying for me but that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people out there love fire and I respect them for that. We all have different opinions so if you don't like DoT (Damage over Time) Switch your School to something else like Ice, Storm, Death, Myth, or Balance.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
How does something that can do more damage then Skeletal Dragon and be learned way before a necromancer would learn their level 58 spell need changes?

It's DoT damage, don't forget, so shielding really doesn't work.

It's DoT damage, so blades and/or Wyldfire boost it every hit.

It's DoT damage, so your gear boosts it every hit, too.

Healing is pointless when you're going to be hit (if you use it correctly) with more damage in one round then a satyr would heal you for.

Heck Hound is fine the way it is.

And if you need some accuracy boosts, turn legendary and get Waterworks gear for your Pyromancer. That gives you the boosts you need.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Esmeralda20 wrote:
Hi,

I love Heckhound. Mine, Angel, is my preferred method of defeating high rank bosses with insane health. Angel can do well over 35,000 over 3 rounds. Nothing can stop her at that point, and healing won't help, because she delivers such massive damage per round. Angel brought the Sothmekhet down quite easily.

Heckhound is a Balance-style spell and, if you are patient, you can use the per-pip damage over time to devastating effect in quest battles and/or in PvP. Try building to a full tray of pips before you cast Heckhound. Since this takes about 7 rounds, you have plenty of time to shield, set blades and traps, and generally prepare for the few rounds when you will have no pips. During that time, repeat the shield and boost cycle while you save pips for another spell, and maybe cast a feint or two to boost the DoT damage. A well-prepared pyromancer should always have plenty of shields, towers are good, in the treasure deck.

Practice with your Heckhound before using her in high-stakes battles. Heckhound requires some planning, some patience, and yields great rewards! Good dog :-)

Warmest Regards,

Scarlet Ravensong, Legendary Pyromancer and Master Healer

Exactly, I defeated Sothmekhet with heckhound when i had all power pips, balanceblade from my amulet, a fireblade, and elemental blade and it did somewhere around 5,000 damage per turn. :-D

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Mimzkat101 wrote:
How does something that can do more damage then Skeletal Dragon and be learned way before a necromancer would learn their level 58 spell need changes?

It's DoT damage, don't forget, so shielding really doesn't work.

It's DoT damage, so blades and/or Wyldfire boost it every hit.

It's DoT damage, so your gear boosts it every hit, too.

Healing is pointless when you're going to be hit (if you use it correctly) with more damage in one round then a satyr would heal you for.

Heck Hound is fine the way it is.

And if you need some accuracy boosts, turn legendary and get Waterworks gear for your Pyromancer. That gives you the boosts you need.

While I side with your overall opinion on the issue, I do have to say that blades dont boost DoTs that have already been applied to your target before you blade. Possibly you meant that the blades +35% affects the 135damage per pip, making it about 182 per pip? And if so, yes that is very nice :)

And I would say shielding does work. If I know that i'm going to be hit for a large chunk of my health right as my turn begins, and that they just burned through all of their pips, I better be popping up a fire shield because they are likely to pass or shield the next round, leaving your shield up to soak up most of the DoT for that next round, while saving a pip as they do; keeping you up to par in the pip race. Maybe allowing you to heal that round for a bit of a cushion on your health for when you get hit the 3rd and final time.
Although, it does make your opponent use their shields whether they want to or not, which puts an advantage on your side.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Esmeralda20 wrote:
Hi,

that is what fire is more about and is why they have smoke screen and the like, as to quick hard hitting cards they have meteor and efritti... fire should not be given more cards of the type that you are requesting as it simply isn't a fire type of thing (what is the use of having different schools if you make them pretty much all the same?)

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
classact21 wrote:
Just because the heck hound uses all your pips and takes 3 rounds for its damage to culminate, doesn't mean its not useful, or even incredibly powerful. If you are saving up all your pips and trying to kill your opponent in one turn, maybe fire isn't for you.

I agree. It will depend on what type of tactic you want to use. If you want to slowly defeat your enemy over turns, then fire is the ideal school for you. If you want to shield yourself and use moderate attacks to slowly defeat the enemy, then ice is for you. If you want to use brute attack, then myth or death will probably be the one for you. If you want to wipeout the enemy with one spell, then storm is for you.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Esmeralda20 wrote:
Hi,

fire is supposed to play that way, you know.. as fire. If you don't like that play style then make another wizard but stop expecting fire school to also be made into storm school cause the storm school players get really upset over it.