Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Insane Bolt: What Are the Odds?

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
So while I was looking through my treasure card stash the other day, I noticed that I had 3 "Insane Bolt" cards. I get a lot of storm cards from Maelstrom Snap Dragons, so I assume that's where these came from. But upon closer inspection, my eyes widened. "1125 damage to target OR 10,000 to self." Right. Of course 10,000 to self is just hyperbole--a good 3,000 would defeat most of us. But really, does anyone ever use these? I realize that the name says it all--you'd have to be somewhat irrational to use them. In the grips of a Mad Gaming Moment. But it would be nice to know the odds. I mean, is it a 1-in-10 chance you'll get zapped, or a 1-in-100? I know that no one can answer this definitively, but I'm curious about anecdotal evidence. Does anyone use this card ever? If so, how often (roughly) does it work in your favor? I probably will never be "insane" enough to try using one, but I'm still intrigued.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
So while I was looking through my treasure card stash the other day, I noticed that I had 3 "Insane Bolt" cards. I get a lot of storm cards from Maelstrom Snap Dragons, so I assume that's where these came from. But upon closer inspection, my eyes widened. "1125 damage to target OR 10,000 to self." Right. Of course 10,000 to self is just hyperbole--a good 3,000 would defeat most of us. But really, does anyone ever use these? I realize that the name says it all--you'd have to be somewhat irrational to use them. In the grips of a Mad Gaming Moment. But it would be nice to know the odds. I mean, is it a 1-in-10 chance you'll get zapped, or a 1-in-100? I know that no one can answer this definitively, but I'm curious about anecdotal evidence. Does anyone use this card ever? If so, how often (roughly) does it work in your favor? I probably will never be "insane" enough to try using one, but I'm still intrigued.

The odds of self destructing with insane bolt are 20%, as stated in the May update notes here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes/may2011

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
i've heard of that spell but never saw it but since wild bolt doesnt work that good i'm sure insaene bolt doesnt either

Survivor
May 30, 2009
It's a risk you must be willing to take. Those silly merchants always try to sell you explosives! :D

/Edit: 1 Typo.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I don't see why anyone would ever use Insane Bolt. Sure, graphics are nice, but.... why?

With damage bonus from equipment and such, Wild Bolt can potentially be a lot more powerful than Insane Bolt, without self destruction.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
10,000 has to be the number since a single tower shield would be sufficient enough to not self destruct a wizard at 3,000 health.

Champion
May 03, 2011
10,000 has to be the number since a single tower shield would be sufficient enough to not self destruct a wizard at 3,000 health.

Good point, I didn't think of that. 20% chance...about the right number for real gamblers, I guess. And high enough to keep the rest of us away. :-) Oh, and I like the "Insane Bolt/Usain Bolt" joke. Another KI gem.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
tabby714 wrote:

Let me explain the use of Insane Bolt other than if you have have suicidal tendencies. 20% chance it will backfire killing you dead...there is no stopping it. Only Weaknesses and Tower Shields do any blocking it and at 10,000 damage...if and it will back fire, you're dead. Storm shields and resist do nothing. It bypasses it. Also Storm blades and traps are not activated by it. Use Balance Blades, Dragon blades, Hex, Feint, Curse and they will work with Insane Bolt...even Darkwind globe will enhance it. Why use it...it is a nasty hit that has 100% accuracy that can't be stopped by anything but Tower Shields and Weaknesses. But it is opinion in whether or not it is good strategy in PvP or regular gaming to use it. If it was indeed just a 20% backfire rate...then it has a high use but that isn't true. It is a moody spell. I've used successfully 10 to 12 times in a row one day and had it back fire 10 to 12 times one day in a row. I don't know how the 20% is calculated by King's Isle...I just don't see it being true. It is a spell you'd use as a last chance to win against an opponent that is down to his last hundreds of health when he has you dead to right on his next turn...even a Tower shield against a critical strike Insane Bolt can do 1000 damage...of course that is subject to the damage stat the Storm user has and apparently some sort Spell Resist the opponent has.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
As I was explaining the Insane Bolt, my question about it came to mind. As Insane Bolt isn't blocked by my Storm resistant gear or by Storm enemies so I assume no one can resist it...so, why does it do that in PvP fights that Insane Bolts are resisted by something? I don't think it should be resisted at all since the 1100 hit clean and straight does alot of damage but doesn't kill anyone over 2000 health unlike the backfire toward the user. Only an negative 90 Efreet Weakness can save someone from a backfired Insane Bolt and that still hurts a little.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
If some damage is indeed being resisted, I believe that stems from global resists.

Equipment will give those resists, as well as all those pets that give resist talents.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Professor Greyrose clearly stated there is a 20% chance of self destruct on a previous message.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Muisak wrote:
As I was explaining the Insane Bolt, my question about it came to mind. As Insane Bolt isn't blocked by my Storm resistant gear or by Storm enemies so I assume no one can resist it...so, why does it do that in PvP fights that Insane Bolts are resisted by something? I don't think it should be resisted at all since the 1100 hit clean and straight does alot of damage but doesn't kill anyone over 2000 health unlike the backfire toward the user. Only an negative 90 Efreet Weakness can save someone from a backfired Insane Bolt and that still hurts a little.

You can resist SOME of the Insane Bolt damage via universal resists, the shield icons that do not have a school icon next to it.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I don't see why anyone would ever use Insane Bolt. Sure, graphics are nice, but.... why?

With damage bonus from equipment and such, Wild Bolt can potentially be a lot more powerful than Insane Bolt, without self destruction.

True, but Insane Bolt is guarenteed at least 1,000 damage as long as there is no Tower Shields. The only time I ever use it, is when my opponent has less than 1,000 health, the enemy has a lot of pips and there is a life wizard on the team to bring me back on a failure.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hmm, good point Kingurz. I seem to forget that being on team allows for some form of possible resurrection.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
20% but make sure to have legion shield, tower shield, treasure tower seeing there is no moon shield O: And it does moon damage, not storm o. o

Historian
May 28, 2009
Um...it attack's moon damages. I wonder if Moon enemies could resist.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
tabby714 wrote:

I brought some Insane Bolts at the Bazaar because I just wanna see the animation of the spell. It was cool, but I got zapped 80% of the time when I tried it on some Lost Souls in Unicorn Way. By the odds of this, I think KI made this so storm wizards can use it in the last grip of desperate chance when they are about to get their butts kicked. Why not try? You will still die by your own spells or by battle, and if you don't kill yourself you will likely kill the other bad guy and win.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
bravevline wrote:
Professor Greyrose clearly stated there is a 20% chance of self destruct on a previous message.

So it's basically like casting a spell with 80% accuracy. If the spell is cast, the enemy will be Insane Bolted and either die or get a huge chunk of its life points taken away. If the spell fizzles, you are dead.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
kingurz wrote:
True, but Insane Bolt is guarenteed at least 1,000 damage as long as there is no Tower Shields...

Just the other day I saw someone in PvP get hit with Insane Bolt for 700ish damage, and the person had no towers. Nothing is guaranteed except that in a 4v4, the amount of time it takes pets casting spritely, when totaled up at the end, take longer than the actual playing of the match.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
HooVooLoo wrote:
kingurz wrote:
True, but Insane Bolt is guarenteed at least 1,000 damage as long as there is no Tower Shields...

Just the other day I saw someone in PvP get hit with Insane Bolt for 700ish damage, and the person had no towers. Nothing is guaranteed except that in a 4v4, the amount of time it takes pets casting spritely, when totaled up at the end, take longer than the actual playing of the match.

Yes, that person must have had universal resists. However, unlike the other school resists percentage, you cannot attain the same resist as them. So you are guarenteed at least 1,000 damage (or very near it, unless they max universal resists). Any other school resists could take that 700 down even further to like 35 damage. That can't happen with Moon damage.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
An item I got recently (cloak) gives a tower shield card with -55% which means it can stack with regular tower shields. So if you can somehow get both shields on then cast it AND you have over 2500 life you will most likely live... although anyone who gets hit in that situation is most likely dead. Just a tip for anyone who was thinking if its possible to live. (if their are ANY other tower shields it is EASILY possible to live if you can get 3 of them on you :P )

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
nanoviro wrote:
An item I got recently (cloak) gives a tower shield card with -55% which means it can stack with regular tower shields. So if you can somehow get both shields on then cast it AND you have over 2500 life you will most likely live... although anyone who gets hit in that situation is most likely dead. Just a tip for anyone who was thinking if its possible to live. (if their are ANY other tower shields it is EASILY possible to live if you can get 3 of them on you :P )

Yes, hard situation to defend like that, since Insane Bolt is 2 pips (usually only requires one round, and stacking Tower Shields requires at least two).

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
Muisak wrote:

actually it's possible to survive an Insane Bolt backlash another way, you just need a few rounds to set up for it.

Tower Shield -50% (basic spell)
Tower Shield -55% (Prestigious Shoes: Tier 6 item card)
Tower Shield -55% (treasure card)
Tower Shield -50% (Jacket of Withstanding item card)

backlash down to 507 damage, very survivable, add on a Spirit Armor 500 pt. from Ahnic's Ethereal Pendant, and your down to 7 damage.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
wow really only 20% of getting destroyed by your own spell?
i have used that spell several times ( yes I am desperate if i have only to defeat an enemy with low health but i have low myself) and it backfire 2/3
of the time i think the self destruct damage should be lowered to five thousand damage which is so much more reasonable and the chance of getting hit become 40% that way you have a better chance of surviving the onslaught of pure rage of ( dramatic music please) yourself!!!!!

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
So far Insane Bolt kills off my wizard about 98% of the time. Guess the luck isn't with me. So I either trade that treasure card or sell it!

Yeah, I'm an old sissy! :D