Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Something that vexes me. Laugh if you must.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
I've taken a look at the new "Wyvern's Hoard" set in the newsletter. It all looks quite good.

All of it, that is, except the mount's name.

This is the second thing in the game called a "wyvern" when nothing in the game actually is a wyvern. A wyvern is a dragonic creature with two wings and two legs. The Ice Wyvern Spell is a lindorm (no wings, two legs). The Festive Wyvern mount is an Asian dragon, most likely a Chinese lung.

Call this post petty if you must, but that is the actual definition of "wyvern".

Defender
May 11, 2009
well actually depending on where you live a lindorm can have wings, as it is sometimes depicted. The wyvern spell in the game is more a tatzelwurm. and the new mount doesnt look like a lung, they have very long bodies, and they have no wings

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
You read my mind! I was legit about to post the same thread. It's been annoying me ever since I saw the "wyvern". Shocked, I thought, That's a Long! I was so disappointed because I really liked the idea of an Ice Wyvern mount. I'm not exactly annoyed over the fact that the Ice Wyvern isn't much of a wyvern; what annoys me is KI has the nerve to have a wyvern in the game and then call these Longs wyverns. I'm just like, Make up your mind!

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
I've taken a look at the new "Wyvern's Hoard" set in the newsletter. It all looks quite good.

All of it, that is, except the mount's name.

This is the second thing in the game called a "wyvern" when nothing in the game actually is a wyvern. A wyvern is a dragonic creature with two wings and two legs. The Ice Wyvern Spell is a lindorm (no wings, two legs). The Festive Wyvern mount is an Asian dragon, most likely a Chinese lung.

Call this post petty if you must, but that is the actual definition of "wyvern".

I doubt KI thought when it made up names for all the spells and such that the fans would be that versed in the subject of dragons, myths, legends, and folklores. Not everything is correctly named or designed to the "old school" chain of thought. Even Harry Potter movies missed on a few things. :P But hey, your intelligence on the dragon subject is impressive.

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
I didn't know the EXACT definition, but I noticed that the ice 'wyvern' looked nothing like the ice wyvern card OR pet.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
FoxFyr wrote:
I've taken a look at the new "Wyvern's Hoard" set in the newsletter. It all looks quite good. All of it, that is, except the mount's name. This is the second thing in the game called a "wyvern" when nothing in the game actually is a wyvern. A wyvern is a dragonic creature with two wings and two legs. The Ice Wyvern Spell is a lindorm (no wings, two legs). The Festive Wyvern mount is an Asian dragon, most likely a Chinese lung. Call this post petty if you must, but that is the actual definition of "wyvern".
Well, if we're gonna bring up mythological creatures not fitting traditional depictions, i'll bring up an issue my brother pointed out: Medusa? She's supposed to be a hideous gorgon, cursed and deformed by Athena out of jealousy. The creature summoned by the medusa spell appears more like Echidna, with a beautiful female face and serpentine body. This would also fit better, because Echidna was credited for giving birth to cerberus and orthrus. -eli and crew

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
etherchaos wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
I've taken a look at the new "Wyvern's Hoard" set in the newsletter. It all looks quite good. All of it, that is, except the mount's name. This is the second thing in the game called a "wyvern" when nothing in the game actually is a wyvern. A wyvern is a dragonic creature with two wings and two legs. The Ice Wyvern Spell is a lindorm (no wings, two legs). The Festive Wyvern mount is an Asian dragon, most likely a Chinese lung. Call this post petty if you must, but that is the actual definition of "wyvern".
Well, if we're gonna bring up mythological creatures not fitting traditional depictions, i'll bring up an issue my brother pointed out: Medusa? She's supposed to be a hideous gorgon, cursed and deformed by Athena out of jealousy. The creature summoned by the medusa spell appears more like Echidna, with a beautiful female face and serpentine body. This would also fit better, because Echidna was credited for giving birth to cerberus and orthrus. -eli and crew

Also, Seraphim do not look like winged humans. They look like a sort of serpentine creature with six wings that uses two of them to fly and the others to prevent people from combusting at the sight of them by covering themselves. (Run-on sentence! :D)

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
I'm pleasantly suprised at the high ratio of people who agree (to an extent) to people who don't take me seriously. I honestly expected to be laughed off of the Forum. Sweet. :D

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
SoxKid wrote:
well actually depending on where you live a lindorm can have wings, as it is sometimes depicted. The wyvern spell in the game is more a tatzelwurm. and the new mount doesnt look like a lung, they have very long bodies, and they have no wings

*Jaw drop* Someone knows of the tatzelwurm?! (Which is basically a small lindorm with a feline or leonine head.) Awesome.

Also, some lung do have wings at a certain age, but let's not argue over this.