Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making the Most of Myth

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
This thread is kind of a spin-off from the "underpowered myth" one--I decided that instead of just complaining about my Myth's lack of firepower, I should try to get some advice on higher-level play and deck set-up. I am having trouble really being competitive in Celestia and WT, and would like to improve my game if possible. I'm level 55, so no Medusa yet. Life is my second, trained up to Centaur. I have spirit blade, star and sun spells up to 54, and a life amulet. If anyone has suggestions that might help me or other grand-level Myth wizards, I think we'd all be grateful. :-) Thanks in advance.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
I think that people are going way over board with this "Myth is underpowered" deal. I recently made a myth character, Vastly differing from my first ever one, a Pyromancer, and I think I know where Myth might be best. Looking over all the spells in the mythical arsenal, I've realized this: Myth is a support class. Just like Life magic, Myth is made for more of a support role. You summon minions to get an extra helping hand, you use earthquake to erase all blades and shields on the opposing team. You have two-attack creatures, like the Orthrus and Minotaur, that dodge around shields. The problem isn't that Myth is underpowered; it's perfect for what is does. It's just that too many people are using Myth with the wrong mindset. I plan on getting Tower shield and Balance/Spirit Blades and Traps for my Myth character, to better play the support style Myth provides.

Issac GoldenCrafter, Legendary Pyromancer
Carlos SkullTalon, Adept Conjurer

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
This thread is kind of a spin-off from the "underpowered myth" one--I decided that instead of just complaining about my Myth's lack of firepower, I should try to get some advice on higher-level play and deck set-up. I am having trouble really being competitive in Celestia and WT, and would like to improve my game if possible. I'm level 55, so no Medusa yet. Life is my second, trained up to Centaur. I have spirit blade, star and sun spells up to 54, and a life amulet. If anyone has suggestions that might help me or other grand-level Myth wizards, I think we'd all be grateful. :-) Thanks in advance.

Hey Tabby. Are you looking for generic deck setup advice? I know that when I was leveling my myth, I used a LOT of different decks for various scenarios. If you are looking for something specific, I just need to know what you're fighting. Either way, could you post the name of each item of gear you have and do you have a pet? If so, what talents does it have? Finally, do you craft? If so, what crafting rank are you now? Oh, and do you have any training points left?

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
I am sad to say it has taken me this long, but I am now realizing I can kill things much faster without waiting on people if I just summon a minion and let him help me.

Jasmine Stareyes

Champion
May 03, 2011
Well, to the person that is training an adept Myth, I have to say that myth was just fine until I reached Celestia/Wintertusk. It's a different game now, and I find it really difficult to be competitive--or even stay in the game. I am probably going to retire my Myth--my first and very favorite character--unless I can figure out how to play her without using henchmen for EVERY battle. The endless defeat-and-collects, the exponentially higher damage from enemies...I am really struggling. I have become shameless about asking (nicely) for help, but people aren't as friendly in these higher worlds. I had one level-60 Death guy agree, friend me, then a little bit later, when I needed help, he had taken me off his list. And please believe me, I am super-polite when asking for help. And I never, ever teleport to anyone unless they ask. I'm pretty sad about all this, because I was really loving this game until now. @gtarhannon--first, thanks for your willingness to help! So here's where I'm at--I've only been playing for a few months, so keep that in mind, if you would.
Gear: Horned Helm of the Mighty; Arcane Outfit; Warded Footwear; Ring of Brother Wolf; Wolf's Bronze Claw; various staffs and wands. Most of this stuff is from drops in WT, as you can see. I am an adept crafter, still madly looking for ore so I can transmute diamonds for my Master Artisan badge. My pet Orthrus is almost to adult, but I'm new to pets so I'm not sure what to make of his stats. He has (supposedly) something called pips o plenty, but so far I haven't seen him give me any. I have other untrained pets--Sea Dragon, Rat Magician, a couple dragons, a sun bird, a Spectre like Malistaire's minions (forget what they are called). I have about six training points left, but I'm still in the Floating Land in CL, so I can't get to the trainer yet. Can't get Medusa till I have access to Science Center, (which is like light years from now, given my slow progress). In WT, I'm just starting Nordrilund. Thanks so much, again, for any advice.

Tabitha M.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
Tabby,

Myth is in my top 3 wizards to play. It requires a different mindset when battling than the other schools. Storm, Fire, etc usually build up for a one hit kill and this is not practical for Myth.

Use NO minions.

Setup your deck for speed instead of strength. I cannot stress this enough. Combine the Sun School + Humunogfrog for the most effect. You can cast the Frog twice in the same time it takes Storm to cast a Storm Lord or Fire a Dragon. Myth also has a high critical rating, take advantage of it!

For example:

Round 1: Cast Myth blade on yourself
Round 2: Cast Myth bubble
Round 3: Cast Critical/Damage Aura
Round 4: Cast Humungofrog buffed with Sun School
Round 5: Cast Humungofrog buffed with Sun School

The above should be able take out nearly all Celestia AoE battles in 5 rounds and perhaps faster when you know you can remove the Aura. Small fast Myth decks with few cards are most effective.

For Boss fights, use Minotaurs. Yes! Abandon the Medusa. Minotaurs, with their two-hit style, can go through shields. You do not need to worry if they put up a tower shield or myth shield. Also, you can cast the Minotaur nearly as fast as the Frogs.

For Example:

Round 1: Cast Myth bubble
Round 2: Cast Myth Blade
Round 3: Cast Myth Blade
Round 4: Cast Critcal/Damge Aura
Round 5: Cast Minotaur buffed with Sun School
Round 6: Cast Minotaur buffed with Sun School

Summoning attacks every two or three turns makes for quick kills. You only need to do enough damage to kill the enemy, no more.

For equipment, be sure to use the best Athame and Rings that provide the highest +pip chance.

Good luck,

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Champion
May 03, 2011
@ Moribund: Thanks for that excellent advice. I think I've been using too many spells, with decks that are too "busy." I did realize that Frog was one of my best schools now that I can boost with Sun. But I've been waiting for the Orthrus, and really I end up with one overkill and no pips left most of the time. I will try this new strategy tonight in Stormriven. Thanks again--I really do want to keep playing my Myth if I can. :-)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
@gtarhannon--first, thanks for your willingness to help!

Hey Tabitha. I'm afraid I didn't get the alert telling me you had posted. I apologize for my delay in responding. I will review this and give you the best advice I can asap.

Champion
May 03, 2011
gtarhannon--np, I'm still trying stuff out here. Last night I tried my new, streamlined deck and had some success, although my health was way down near the end. Then two storm wizards joined, brought two more guys (these were Stormriven death mobs) and I groaned inwardly (although I feel anyone has a right to join a battle--I'm not weird about that). They killed everyone in two rounds! I definitely had "school envy" then. :? So, still working out the kinks. Update--my gear is a bit better, and I have my Frog pet, although he's only up to teen and shows no signs of spritely or anything wonderful so far :( . No Medusa yet, haven't made it to the Science Center. And re:crafting, still mining for diamonds. The Master Artisan badge is clearly going to take awhile. Anyway, thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Hey again... I'm almost there with my advice for you, however, I neglected to ask a couple of questions. First, I seem to recall that you are level 57. Is that accurate? Also, can you list for me what non-myth spells you have already trained?

I'm almost ready with my post for you, I swear. :D

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
first, thanks for your willingness to help! So here's where I'm at--I've only been playing for a few months, so keep that in mind, if you would.

Happy to help... Just wish I had more time to do so. And no worries on the amount of time played. We were all new once.

I need to get some more information from you before I give you any more advice but I wanted to give you what I have so far as I think its useful immediately. My preliminary advice is about gear. I looked up the gear you reported and by my calculations, you are seeing the following bonuses from it:

+1115 Max Health
+315 Max Mana
+8% Myth Accuracy
+11% Damage
+6% Resistance
+31% Power Pip Percentage
+33 Myth Critical
+37 Myth Critical Block
+20 Critical
+12 Critical Block
+5% Incoming Healing
+5% Outgoing Healing

I am assuming that you are at least level 56 and you don't have a lot of crowns to spare. Therefore, my gear suggestion is all for gear that you should be able to obtain at the bazaar. I suggest: Horned Helm of the North, Coat of Ages, Barbarian's Fearless Boots, Bear's Claw of Myth, and Peridot Ring of Battle. By my calculations, that will give you:

+951 Max Health
+230 Max Mana
+5% Myth Accuracy
+11% Damage
+21% Myth Damage
+15% Myth Resistance
+17% Resistance
+33% Power Pip Chance
+15 Myth Critical Block
+24 Critical Block
+10% Incoming Healing
+5% Outgoing Healing
+2 Max Energy

Here's my reasoning:

Myth starts out the 3rd lowest base health in the game. However, it increases more slowly than fire and by Level 54, Myth is the second lowest base health next to storm. Myth does not have "weak" attacks as many complain about, but it does suffer a couple of issues. The first is that both AoE (Area of Effect or attack all enemy) spells are low damage and the second is that your "big hitter" spells are both double hit spells (until medusa) making it extremely difficult to set up. Therefore, the two big issues to compensate for are resistance and damage boost.

The gear I am recommending for you accomplishes those two items and also keeps an eye toward healing. You may be worried that I have recommended less health, but don't be. With the extra resistance, it will actually take more damage to kill you (because the resistance is so much higher) than with your current gear. You'll also be able to heal more for the same number of pips (higher incoming boost) and the resistance makes each point of health 11% more valuable than it is currently. The damage will also be effectively 21% greater for your myth spells.

The reason that the damage is important is in cases where the double humongofrog strategy that Moribund suggested just isn't cutting it, such as fighting Piscean Soldiers. With a Piscean soldier having 2410 health and all that mutated storm hitting power, I suggest (with the recommended gear) using gargantuan (or monstrous if you don't have access to gargantuan yet) treasure versions of Orthrus. Let's assume you have made monstrous treasure card versions of orthrus. They should be 138 + 738 damage. Since myth bosts on ice in celestia (and wintertusk) I would do the following:

1. Golem minion (shield breaker and draws fire)
2. Mythblade
3. either Time of Legend (preferable) or spirit blade
4. Treasure orthrus on the one without a shield
5. heal or shield
6. myth blade
7. spirit blade
8. Treasure orthrus on remaining piscean

You want to be able to strike on round 4, so if you have 4 power pips going into round 4, you're safe for time of legend. However, if you have any white pips you'll want to do spirit blade. If you're unlucky with pips, you'll want to shield until you can use orthrus but you don't want to heal until you kill one of them. The point of hitting the soldier without a shield is that with only a time a of legend (vs. a spirit blade) you should be doing 384 + 2054 which is only 2438. A single tower shield in that scenario will mean you have to follow up with a wand or some such. The point however, was to illustrate that on average your myth can be devastating in a short number of rounds.

tabby714 wrote:
I am an adept crafter, still madly looking for ore so I can transmute diamonds for my Master Artisan badge.

Keep going on the crafting. The grandmaster artisan badge is necessary for level 56+ wintertusk gear which is tremendously valuable to you, IMO.

tabby714 wrote:
My pet Orthrus is almost to adult, but I'm new to pets so I'm not sure what to make of his stats. He has (supposedly) something called pips o plenty, but so far I haven't seen him give me any.

Pip O' Plenty adds its percentage directly to your power pip chance percentage like you had just put on a ring or something. That talent gets better as you train your pet, but I've never seen it add more than 5%. There may be rare cases where it can add 6% (with the right pet stats), I've just never seen it.

tabby714 wrote:
I have other untrained pets--Sea Dragon, Rat Magician, a couple dragons, a sun bird, a Spectre like Malistaire's minions (forget what they are called).

The sea dragon is typically worthy of focus. It almost never disappoints and has a lot of possible "epic" talents, such as pain giver (adds to global damage boost). My sea dragon, for instance, has a +6% pain giver. The other pets will be more hit and miss. I generally try to pet train once a week until I can't take the mini games anymore. Largely, its a waste of time, however, when you get that right set of talents, it feels totally worth it.

tabby714 wrote:
I have about six training points left, but I'm still in the Floating Land in CL, so I can't get to the trainer yet. Can't get Medusa till I have access to Science Center, (which is like light years from now, given my slow progress). In WT, I'm just starting Nordrilund. Thanks so much, again, for any advice.

My remaining advice will depend largely on what I hear back from you as to how you've already spent your existing training points. I'll wait to give you suggestions there until I hear back.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
If you are speaking in terms of PVE Myth is a little more challenging and COuld understand why some may see it as a support class. However, PVP is a different story altogether. Myth was the easiest wizard for me to achieve Warlord with starting from low ranks all the way to legendary. He has the best record of all my wizards. I think they were made for PVP.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Also, can you list for me what non-myth spells you have already trained?

So, apparently reading is fundamental. I was reviewing the thread and right there at the beginning you said:

tabby714 wrote:
Life is my second, trained up to Centaur. I have spirit blade, star and sun spells up to 54, and a life amulet.

I suppose I should pay more attention. :) Assuming you still have at least 5 training points, I would go to the ice school and train ice up to tower shield. With this, you will not only get tower shield, but you will also get -70% for fire and storm. When taken with your other shields, you have at least -70% shields to everything except ice. What I generally like to do is put as many towers in my deck as I can, then adjust my -70% selection based on what enemies I'm fighting.

My generic advice is to have no more than 30% of your deck as attack cards. The rest should be support cards, such as shields, blades, a couple of minions (particularly the golem minion), and some healing. I generally don't bother with traps for my myth until after I get medusa, and even then only when I arrange my deck for fighting bosses. Those cards should generally be myth attacks as that is how you can deal the highest possible damage. I rarely attack out of school, but in the case of myth, my son has effectively used centaur against myth enemies where I have used prisms and treasure cards such as ninja pigs.

If you are fighting somewhere that your regular damage isn't cutting it, I recommend putting monstrous (or gargantuan) versions of your attack cards (and only attack cards) in your side deck. In this case, you can take an empty deck and a grip of monstrous treasure cards to unicorn way and create 30 or 40 monstrous versions (don't forget to take the created cards out of your side deck after every round). The idea is that your main deck is only boosts, shields (and golem minions), and healing. With this deck strategy, you are biding your time and building for one-hit-kills. As soon as you see an opening, you discard, draw a strong attack, then pounce.

Another strategy (for defeat and collect quests for instance) is to make a minimal "kill" deck. In this case, you want to work out the math for killing everything in one hit. I recommend a trip to the library for treasure spirit blades in this case because they stack. So as an example, say you are fighting death enemies that have say 1400 health and you're using gear (32% myth damage boost) that I previously recommended:

Plan to use a monstrous humongofrog treasure card (because the death enemies won't tower shield or myth shield) which has a base damage of 440-500. Using the minimum damage of 440, you need a mythblade, spirit blade, and treasure spirit blade to deal at least 1481 damage. However, they might use a weakness on you. You'll have to plan for that as well since a weakness would bring your damage down. Therefore, you'll want a time of legend treasure card (or the time of legend amulet) and since you need 4 rounds of boosting (I find it isn't typically safe to go more than 3 rounds without healing or shielding) you'll want to plan a round or two of defense. Therefore, a deck such as this should do:

Main Deck
1 mythblade
1 spirit blade
1 tower shield
1 fortify

Sidedeck
1 Treasure spirit blade
1 Treasure Time of Legend
1 Treasure Monstrous Humongofrog

So, with a wand having typically only 5 cards, you will get at least one 0 pip spell that you need to cast on the first round. You can handle discards from there, minding your pip count, use of power pips, and what your enemies appear to be doing. Here is how the math works on that:

Gear (+32%) x MythBlade (+35%) x Spirit Blade (+35%) x Treasure Spirit Blade (+40%) x Weakness (-25%) x Treasure Time of Legend (+35) = a multiplier of 3.41. Base damage of 440 x 3.41 = 1500 damage which will kill all the death enemies.

This strategy is highly specific and requires that you have a good idea how your enemies work, and how they shield. For instance, ice enemies tend to spam tower shields so a more appropriate strategy for them is to use boosted minotaurs. You'll also want to be somewhere that you can just grab wisps in between rounds so that you can start each battle at full health.

On the minions... I LOVE the golem minion. He's 0 pips, he attacks every round, and he is 100% expendable if you play him right. I think of a minion as a delayed shield and what I mean by that is that if you cast golem minion on the first round, he'll attack the next round while you blade or shield. Typically within the next two rounds, he will draw the full force of an attack away from you which is effectively a 100% shield. The thing is, if you want him to draw an attack, you cannot heal or attack yourself. That makes him great while you're building pips but once you strike the enemies will rarely target him directly again. Against ice enemies, he's an awesome shield breaker.

I'm not going to go into all of the minions here, but I use this reasoning to determine their value. To be worth casting, they must cast spells that total at least the number of pips that it cost to cast them in the first place. In other words, if a 4 pip cyclops minion blades me and attacks with a cyclops that would be 3 pips + one 0 pip spell I didn't have to cast making him a wash at that point. If he does anything at all after that, such as draws fire from an enemy, he was worth casting.

This should be a good start regarding advice. I hope it helps. If you have questions, I'd be glad to expand on anything I've already posted, or address anything that I missed. I'd also be happy to help you in game if you're having problems with anything in particular. Just let me know.

Champion
May 03, 2011
gtarhannon--First, thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed and super-helpful response. And thanks for the math, too :-). I tend to be a bit befuddled by an excess of numbers, and this game is pretty quantitative. Now that you've laid it out, I can see more clearly where things stand. I will look for the gear you recommend. Updates on my current stats: I am now Level 60 (yay, me), but I leveled up during a failed run at Nastrond :( the sad chronicle of which you can read elsewhere on this forum. I've also got my Frog pet, as I mentioned. He's a teen, and his only talent so far is something called Myth Trap (maybe he will give me one?). He does come with an awesome card called Noble Humongofrog that gives damage over time. Wish I had it in my regular deck. (Aside: yes, pet training is mind-numbing. I can only do the maze game. Over and over.) Still no Medusa yet--Celestia is slow going and not much fun at the moment. Okay, my training point rundown:
I trained Life up to Centaur (probably should have stopped with Satyr, but I was seduced by high damage points); Sun up to Gargantuan and Sniper; Star: Amplify, Fortify, Empowerment, Vengeance. Balance: Spirit Blade.
That's it. I have two points left plus three unfinished Zeke quests (darn those sneaky Yardbirds).
I do use crowns--I'm an adult and don't find the cost of stuff onerous. In real terms, crowns are pretty cheap. I didn't buy any crown gear at this level because I didn't see anything great. I have thought about cashing in training points and starting over. I can afford it, but I'm not sure I have any better training ideas just now...

Other things you mentioned: Golem minion? Wow, I haven't used him for ages. He's got like 45 health. But I can put him back in the deck if you think it's worth it. Interesting idea. Sea Dragon: Yes, a lot of people seem to have helpful ones. I can start training him and see what I get.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. I am in your debt. When I become a more experienced player, I will try to pay it forward to someone else. :-)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
gtarhannon--First, thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed and super-helpful response.

Absolutely no problem. I enjoy helping. :D

tabby714 wrote:
I will look for the gear you recommend. Updates on my current stats: I am now Level 60 (yay, me), but I leveled up during a failed run at Nastrond :( the sad chronicle of which you can read elsewhere on this forum.

I read about that Nastrond run. Good call on the menu chat folks. I try to help them as well (even if I don't keep them as friends forever) and I have found doing cheating towers with them to be very, very frustrating. On the topic of Nastrond. I'd be happy to meet up with you to do Nastrond. I think I still have a wizard or two I haven't bothered to run through yet. I'll also see about better armor suggestions for you now that you're level 60. Congratz btw! :D

tabby714 wrote:
I've also got my Frog pet, as I mentioned. He's a teen, and his only talent so far is something called Myth Trap (maybe he will give me one?).

Yes, myth trap is a may cast talent that will place a trap on the enemy at random. From my experience, the more you attack something (even just using wand hits) the more you have a chance of activating this talent.

tabby714 wrote:
He does come with an awesome card called Noble Humongofrog that gives damage over time. Wish I had it in my regular deck. (Aside: yes, pet training is mind-numbing. I can only do the maze game. Over and over.)

I try to approach it in no more than 30 minute increments. I find that the dance game goes the fastest, but I have had to get fairly good at the dance game, gobbler drop, and the maze game in order to round out all my pet stats efficiently. I have never had to rely on the cannon game though...

tabby714 wrote:
Still no Medusa yet--Celestia is slow going and not much fun at the moment. Okay, my training point rundown:
I trained Life up to Centaur (probably should have stopped with Satyr, but I was seduced by high damage points); Sun up to Gargantuan and Sniper; Star: Amplify, Fortify, Empowerment, Vengeance. Balance: Spirit Blade.
That's it. I have two points left plus three unfinished Zeke quests (darn those sneaky Yardbirds). I do use crowns--I'm an adult and don't find the cost of stuff onerous. In real terms, crowns are pretty cheap. I didn't buy any crown gear at this level because I didn't see anything great. I have thought about cashing in training points and starting over. I can afford it, but I'm not sure I have any better training ideas just now...

Well, I can help you with the yardbirds. I know where they're at. As to training points, If you don't mind paying for a respec, then if I had my myth to do again, I would get:

Ice to Tower Shield - 5 points
Balance to Weakness - 3 points
Spirit Blade - 1 point
Death to Feint - 7 points
Fortify - 1 point

The other 8 (currently possible) training points will depend largely on your play style. Personally, I'm really not certain how I'd use them yet. I probably wouldn't spend them on astral spells though because its unnecessary. For instance, you can just buy 50 gargantuan treasure cards at the archivist and keep them in your side deck. That way, when an attack comes up, you can gargantuan it immediately without waiting for a trained gargantuan to show up. You can also prepare your strong attacks ahead of time in unicorn way, so there's really no need to train that strain of sun spell.

Additionally, there is no need to train the sun accuracy spells either since myth is very accurate and if you need to cast a secondary school attack, you can use unstoppable treasure cards also purchased at the archivist. Finally, I never use amplify, infallible, or empowerment, and I don't rely on criticals so I find that 1 or 2 vengeance treasure cards in my side deck for emergencies is plenty.

tabby714 wrote:
Other things you mentioned: Golem minion? Wow, I haven't used him for ages. He's got like 45 health. But I can put him back in the deck if you think it's worth it. Interesting idea. Sea Dragon: Yes, a lot of people seem to have helpful ones. I can start training him and see what I get.

I always keep a couple in my deck. If it doesn't come up at a good time, then I just discard it.

tabby714 wrote:
Thanks again for taking the time to do this. I am in your debt. When I become a more experienced player, I will try to pay it forward to someone else. :-)

That's fantastic to hear! The game is more fun when you share it with others. If you would like to meet up for nastrond or yardbirds, just let me know what time, realm, and location would work for you. I am generally available on weekends (just not this next one) and sometimes in the evenings on weekdays. I'm in the PST time zone.

Champion
May 03, 2011
gtarhannon--thanks again. You've convinced me to re-do my training points. I am going to get ice to tower, and balance to weakness. Not sure about Feint--it's lots of points, and because of Myth's double attack cards, not sure it would be worth it. I love Feint--I have a level 45 Death in DS, and it's the jewel of her deck, for sure. (Unlike my Myth, she's been a comfortable soloist so far. Death is an awesome school.) But for Myth I'm not sure.

Interested in your view of Critical. The gear you recommended doesn't offer as much Critical boost as I have now--as it is, of course, I only critical about (this is a guess) once every 10-12 turns. But I should think that, given Myth's overall weakness, especially on AoE (thanks for explaining that, btw.--I didn't know what it really stood for) attacks, Critical potential would be, uh, critical. I mean crucial. :-) Is this your view of critical overall, or just for Myth?

I'd love to meet in game sometime. We could discuss some of this stuff in more detail then--help with Yardbirds would be appreciated (for some reason the guides are less helpful on the Birds) and I really would like to do Nastrond again whenever you might have time. I'm on Eastern time, but I play late--usually 9-11:30 or so. I also have time on weekends at various times during the day. Maybe we could arrange just to connect briefly sometime this week, and then make arrangements for the other stuff? I could hang out in Scarecrow realm for a bit around 10:30 (my time), say near Erik Wyldrune (love his name) in GH. I'll do that for the next few nights. It would be good to know your game name, though...

Oh, and I used my golem minion in Celestia the other night. It worked as a good shield/distraction, as you said, although it was short-lived. Literally. But for 0 pips--it's worth trying out some more, I think. I also imagine a few onlookers were perplexed by this strategy. :-) Which made it fun, as well!

Tabitha

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Interesting thread, thanks Tabitha for starting it, and Gtarhannon for all the helpful advice. I have 2 accounts. I had a myth character on both. Once I hit Celestia, I was frustrated with the chronic dying and deleted the lower level one, and retired the grandmaster. The tips here may just lure me into bringing the grand out of retirement. And perhaps if I had known that you could now dual log BEFORE I deleted my other, I may have kept her too. Hindsight. :-)
As far as pets helping, I am totally in love with my Fierce Hound on my death character. He learned Feint which is counted seperately from the regular Feint spell, so I get to use two 70% boosts to an attack. ALong with my other traps and blades, that pretty much guarantees me a one-hit kill and full heal from the health steal. He also learned Spritely, which has been a life saver one multiple occasions since he uses it enthusiastically (I have had 4 on me at a time, LOL). His 3rd talent was death shield and I haven't gotten him to epic yet except in test realm. In the WT test realm he learned a +25 agility ability (boo), and in Wysteria test realm he learned health gift (+102 health), so I guess it is not 'written-in-stone' as far as what his last talent will be if I ever get him trained that high in live realm.
So pets can be worth the time to train. Some learn nothing useful. I have an epic with only one skill outside pet-derby. Waste of time and snacks there. But there are gems out there too. You just have to find them. When you do, you will be so happy you took the time to 'find' their talents.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
All my characters have completed WT and I would be happy to help you finish the dungeon. Say Hello if you see me in game.

Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
Not sure about Feint--it's lots of points, and because of Myth's double attack cards, not sure it would be worth it.

Feint is only for the following scenarios:

Humongofrog or Earthquake where you want to ensure at least one enemy goes down, a gargantuan cyclops, ninja pigs, secondary attacks, boosting your minion, and medusa. If I was making a myth from scratch, it would not be the first thing I learned because you are correct, it isn't helpful with minotaur or orthrus.

tabby714 wrote:
Interested in your view of Critical. The gear you recommended doesn't offer as much Critical boost as I have now--as it is, of course, I only critical about (this is a guess) once every 10-12 turns. But I should think that, given Myth's overall weakness, especially on AoE (thanks for explaining that, btw.--I didn't know what it really stood for) attacks, Critical potential would be, uh, critical. I mean crucial. :-) Is this your view of critical overall, or just for Myth?

The gear I recommended was based on a level 56 or lower, I still owe you a new gear package recommendation. :D My view of critical is this... Critical isn't reliable. It should be factored overall like one would factor accuracy, but even with the best critical rating (which belongs to storm gear) and a vengeance aura, you're not much above a 50/50 chance. Its definitely worth setting up, but I find that more emphasis on critical block
is generally more useful. I'll break it down in the new recommendation, I just haven't had time to write it yet.

tabby714 wrote:
I'd love to meet in game sometime. We could discuss some of this stuff in more detail then--help with Yardbirds would be appreciated (for some reason the guides are less helpful on the Birds) and I really would like to do Nastrond again whenever you might have time. I'm on Eastern time, but I play late--usually 9-11:30 or so. I also have time on weekends at various times during the day. Maybe we could arrange just to connect briefly sometime this week, and then make arrangements for the other stuff? I could hang out in Scarecrow realm for a bit around 10:30 (my time), say near Erik Wyldrune (love his name) in GH. I'll do that for the next few nights. It would be good to know your game name, though...

That sounds like 7:30pm my time. I will try to get in as well. I'll meet you with my myth whose name is Aedan so that we can more effectively compare notes.

tabby714 wrote:
Oh, and I used my golem minion in Celestia the other night. It worked as a good shield/distraction, as you said, although it was short-lived. Literally. But for 0 pips--it's worth trying out some more, I think. I also imagine a few onlookers were perplexed by this strategy. :-) Which made it fun, as well!

Tabitha

Yeah, I get weird "looks" (more like comments saying things to the effect of "why?") sometimes, but what can I say... he's effective. ;) FYI, if you are past them hitting your minion and he's just breaking shields, don't forget that you can sacrifice him. In fact, its a very good idea to always leave at least one sacrifice in your deck if you have any minions in there just in case you get to a point where you need to get rid of them.

Champion
May 03, 2011
@natenkate: wow I had no idea pets could have that many talents. I am going to take my sea dragon out this week and see what I can make of her. Glad you are considering "un-retiring" your Myth. I'd like to see more of us out there--and I'm determined to make good use of all this excellent advice and keep her in the game. Although my Death is rising rapidly through the ranks, and I do find her easier to play. Still, chronic over-achiever, must not give up... :-)

@moribund--yes it would be great to have help, either for Nastrond or aspects of Celestia (the Trial of the Spheres looms scarily on my horizon)--I hope we do meet in game. If you are in GH/Scarecrow at 10:30 Eastern in the next couple days, come say hi. Still working on your "Frog power" suggestion--when the cards fall right, it's definitely a powerful hit. And I love the frog--he's my most reliable, least costly spell. You are right about not needing to do more than kill the enemy--I think people forget that, in general, in pursuit of impressive damage points.

gtarhannon--again, many thanks. I look forward to meeting up this week sometime. Haven't traded in my training points yet, but I will this week as soon as I come up with a Complete Master Plan Anyway, I'll be on tonight and tomorrow, probably not Thursday, maybe Friday. Hope we can connect so I can say thanks again in person. I mean avatar. Whatever. :-)

Tabitha

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
The best gear (hat robe and boots) for myth is the stuff dropped only in waterworks. However, its going to probably take many runs in order to get the gear you want from them. In lieu of that, the best gear IMO is the crafted stuff from wintertusk. I also recommend the lifeforce blade which can drop from waterworks, or you can just purchase in the crowns shop. Here's my recommendation:

Poetic chieftain's helm
chief's garb of might
time of legend boots
garnet bear claw
wintertusk ring of valor
lifeforce blade

This will give you the following bonuses:

+1061 max health
+295 max mana
+30% power pip percentage
+6 max energy
+9% damage
+46% myth damage (+55% effective myth damage)
+17% resistance
+16% myth accuracy
+30 critical
+104 myth critical (+134 effective myth critical)
+81 critical block
+22% incoming healing
+16% outgoing healing
+1 40% mythblade card
+1 35% myth trap card
+1 35% time of legend card

Depending on your play style, you could also substitute the Peridot Ring of Battle (usually found at the bazaar) which would alter those stats as follows:

+1063 max health (+2 more)
+33% power pip percentage (+3% more)
+2 max energy (loss of 4)
+6% damage (loss of 3%)
+52% myth damage (+58% effective myth damage)
- (gain of 6% myth damage - net gain of 3% myth damage)
+76 critical block (loss of 5)
+13% incoming healing (loss of 9%)
+8% outgoing healing (loss of 8%)

The way that I play (which is to say I heal myself from time to time), the effective loss of 19.48% healing boost and 5 points of critical block isn't worth the 3% power pip percentage, +2 max health, and +3% effective myth damage that you would gain. I should also note that I left out the amulet, but a decent is the Wyrm's Blessing Charm which not only gives you two very effective cards, but an addition +175 max health. I tend to swap my amulets from time to time, so I don't usually count them as part of a recommendation. In my opinion, the amulet should be chosen for the tactical card(s) or options (such as a mastery amulet) that it provides over any other positive stat increase such as health.

If you would also like a gear recommendation only using gear obtainable at the bazaar or crown items, I could do that for you as well. Just let me know. I hope this helps.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
The WT crafted helm aslo gives you a stackable 0 pip blade which is quite handy! I use it and prefer it over the lvl 60 waterworks helm.

Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Champion
May 03, 2011
gtarhannon--first thanks for the meet-up! Five yardbirds in under 15 minutes...it would have taken me a couple weeks of looking for one every few days. Awesome. After reading your recs for gear, I am going to keep working on crafting. (A half-hour this morning running around DS over coffee yielded 35 ore plus one diamond. :D) I know the best stuff comes from Waterworks, but I feel I need some more experience--and Medusa--before I try to organize something there. Celestia is rough going--after getting killed several times by those Ninja Pig-wielding Shadow Web Mercenaries (aside: do they cheat? I could swear they didn't have the pips for about a third of the spells they cast), I decided to slow things down there and work on crafting, pet training, and getting my game up to speed. Re-read your advice on Treasures, esp spirit blade and Time of Legend. Do these count as separate spells from the ones in my deck? That's what it sounds like. If so, that would be awesome. I will stock up. :-) Re: Nastrond--would love help when you have time, but not in a hurry, so maybe some weekend later in the month? Still hoping to get Medusa before then. Thanks again for the help, and priceless advice. Also for the math. :-)

Moribund: if you are in GH tonight (Wed.) or Friday night, I'll pop by Erik Wyrdrune in Scarecrow at 10:30 Eastern so we can meet up. I would be grateful for any help you have time to give for upcoming dungeon challenges in the near future :-) . If you can't make it, perhaps we'll run into one another some evening. In any case, thanks again for the offer, I really appreciate it. There are a lot of cool people in this game.

Tabitha

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
gtarhannon--first thanks for the meet-up! Five yardbirds in under 15 minutes...it would have taken me a couple weeks of looking for one every few days. Awesome. After reading your recs for gear, I am going to keep working on crafting. (A half-hour this morning running around DS over coffee yielded 35 ore plus one diamond. :D) I know the best stuff comes from Waterworks, but I feel I need some more experience--and Medusa--before I try to organize something there. Celestia is rough going--after getting killed several times by those Ninja Pig-wielding Shadow Web Mercenaries (aside: do they cheat? I could swear they didn't have the pips for about a third of the spells they cast), I decided to slow things down there and work on crafting, pet training, and getting my game up to speed. Re-read your advice on Treasures, esp spirit blade and Time of Legend. Do these count as separate spells from the ones in my deck? That's what it sounds like. If so, that would be awesome. I will stock up. :-) Re: Nastrond--would love help when you have time, but not in a hurry, so maybe some weekend later in the month? Still hoping to get Medusa before then. Thanks again for the help, and priceless advice. Also for the math. :-) Tabitha

No problem. It was a pleasure to meet you. :D Treasure cards do stack with regular cards, and typically so do amulets and special blades from gear and pets (such as the mythblade in the crafted helm, or the may cast mythblade that your pet may have). After chatting with you, I will put together a recommendation for gear that you can obtain a little easier/quicker than waiting to craft it or getting it to drop in the waterworks.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Hey all! i have respeced my training points a few times and i always get death to feint for 2 reasons- 1. I do have medusa, and putting up a feint before casting her can make for some major (and often necessary, at legendary) damage. 2. I help people a lot, and setting up a friend to use your feint with their spell can sometimes be a greater help than attacking yourself...That's how i roll. -elijah darkthorn, legendary conjurer (and crew)