Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Intercept

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 01, 2011
So I was reading Ozzi's Deflect thread (a thread suggesting a new spell that would make you deflect an incoming hit to your teammate instead) and I did not comment on it because I didn't like it.

But then I started thinking, what about the REVERSE of her idea? What if one could intercept an attack?

It would be like a shield you put on your teammate, it breaks when they get targetted and you get the damage, not the teammate.

People would use it to protect life wizards and minions primarily, or their random school teammate that holds the life amulet, defensive role.

What if instead of being an ice spell, it were a death spell, the school that holds sacrifice. I heard that they heal a great deal in legendary fights, the spell would drain some of their life as they use it to save a teammate.

I fear putting intercept in the hands of ice would make an ice-life a bit too strong - ice has little connection to death to wear a death amulet - if ice wanted to use something like intercept it could pay full pips for it.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
If this is a spell, then it would be a great idea. Though why not make taunt just have that effect? (Isn't ice's job in wizard101 to take hits for the team?)

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Laura,

Interesting idea, but then I started to wonder just how much and in how many ways something like that could be abused. I almost like an idea of deflecting the damage back onto the opponent.... that would be a fun spell.
In it's own way, it something like frost Armor, etc, but this couldn't be stolen, or could it?

Joe,

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Hi Laura, I actually like your idea of an intercept spell better than the deflect too. But, the only difference I like is to not make it a death spell since death already has sacrifice, but to indeed make it an ice spell. Here's my reasoning why: Ice has some of the highest health in the game, so it would only make sense, (to me anyway), to give that spell to ice, because when Ice uses it to save someone else, it drains the ice wizards health in order to save their teammate. It could be the type of spell that could hurt the ice quite a bit in order to make it a spell that would only be used in a dire need type of circumstance. Ice has the health to make it work, but also if used, it causes them to put themselves on the chopping block, since it could make them get killed from a second hit by the opposing team. KI could even make it so that it is like the new bolt spell. It deflects a little damage to give a little damage to ice,or a middle amount or if it deflects the whole damage of the spell Ice now gets hit with a much larger amount of damage. So ice would use up pips, and use up health in order to use it.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Rationally, one would think Intercept belongs in ice school.
Intuitively, one can sense a potentially great unbalance coming from that.
Lorewise, not sure which NPC talks bout the Krokonomicon as one holding the
secret of death and life - but if you gave intercept to death - well,
that could be the great big secret.

I'd love to see a legendary life-death team against fire-balance team then.

See it's clear that ice can afford to use it because of ice's health - and for
that very reason maybe one should penalize ice to pay full pips for it when
not using the death amulet in order so that ice does not become unbalanced.

Another thing that could cause unbalance were death to hold intercept instead of death, is the fact that death could ice armor and then cast intercept - feel like it makes ice-life team a bit too difficult to beat up.

Furthermore, since death sucks life, it really is more healthy than one might think and it is the only school that contains a sacrificing spell now, so Intercept would be another type of sacrifice for the death school.

As for ice remaining with Taunt - ice would still be the king tank of all minions.

--> As for weather the intercept shield can be stolen, I'd think yes, it makes it all the more interesting and it gives steal a new significance. That shield means that whoever gets hurt while holding it, will transfer the damage to the same wizard that cast the intercept. So say, for example, a fire or death uses the steal treasure card and then they immolate or sacrifice - well guess who is paying for immolate's first hit or the sacrifice's first hit? - the person who cast the intercept. But only if the intercept shield has been stolen.

i think this could create some fun and funny scenarios in PvP - and though I greatly considered ice holding the intercept spell, I still think having it in the death school would balance things out more than ice holding it.

I'd like for people to try to think of specific examples how Intercept could be abused. Joe?