Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Downranking

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 01, 2011
I want to know what's the official word from Kings Isle on this issue.

This is a forum. Moreover this is THEIR forum - where else am I suppose to get answers for my burning questions?

I just want to know if Kings Isle sees this as an issue or not.

Professors, Diego, Roland, Prospector Zeke? - do you care?

The issue is widespread, it's rampant and its as destructive as wildfire to PvP.

It would be nice if we could get your statement on the issue.

Thank you,
LW

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I know i'm not the person you wanted an answer from.

But I would think they have something against it because isn't that the reason when you flee you can't battle for another 5 minutes?

Another thing though how would people who have to much rank to find a match even play PvP anymore?

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Well I think the main reason for the fleeing cooldown is the fact you could flee all your matches and still rake four arena tickets and some people would be lazy enough to do that.

It's obvious that players who mean to down-rank have gotten past this cooldown by going on with an empty deck, so down rankers are actually NOT waiting five minutes. They are not fleeing the match, they are running out of cards on turn one, therein losing right away - no five minutes wait.

As for the people with real high rank, they can PvP with others who have that high rank, they can create a new wizard or a new account - or push some button to reset their rank to 900 upon reaching 1200 - if Kings Isle were to do such a thing.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I agree, downrankers are the least enjoyable part of PvP. Sometimes I get the same downranker several times in a row, and it is nothing less than a complete waste of my own time.

Because they enter the arena with no spells, the game ends. They lose, but they don't suffer a 5 minute penalty for fleeing because they simply ran out of cards.

To me, the solution is obvious. Make a minimum deck size to be able to enter an arena game, maybe a 10 card deck. Are there any players out there that use a smaller deck than 10 cards?

At least this way, they have to spend maybe 5 minutes per game to downrank.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Is there not a Warlord in just about every level? Instead of it matching 2 warlords of a simular level, being matched immediately, it is matching them with downranked Legends...

There are other ways to DownRank besides Fleeing...

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Is there not a Warlord in just about every level? Instead of it matching 2 warlords of a simular level, being matched immediately, it is matching them with downranked Legends...

There are warlords at every level that does mean they are all PvPing at the same time. I mean I have like 4 warlords ranging from level 50-60 and I never pvp on them because I never get matched. And I know a lot of my other warlord friends who don't ranked PvP anymore because they don't get matches. But this new system doesn't mean now it won't match those two warlords at all. But they would have to be PvPing in a relatively similar time. I mean from my lower levels that aren't warlord but still fight a few higher level players. I'd rather have that then no PvP at all. Just cause your lower level doesn't mean your helpless.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

There are warlords at every level that does mean they are all PvPing at the same time. I mean I have like 4 warlords ranging from level 50-60 and I never pvp on them because I never get matched. And I know a lot of my other warlord friends who don't ranked PvP anymore because they don't get matches. But this new system doesn't mean now it won't match those two warlords at all. But they would have to be PvPing in a relatively similar time. I mean from my lower levels that aren't warlord but still fight a few higher level players. I'd rather have that then no PvP at all. Just cause your lower level doesn't mean your helpless.

Hey, good post Thorvon...

Now, my reply... You are correct, just because there are a lot of Warlords playing, does not mean they are all playing at the same time...

Now, I have 2 accounts mind you, and yes, this can be considered cheating... I join my noob into ranked pvp, then I use my second character to watch the match... Now, when I look at all the players playing, I see dozens, meaning a lot, of Warlords that are my level in matches... So, there are about 60 matches waiting for opponents, about 50 matches going, many of them are my level and warlords and I usually seem to end up facing the Legend?

I know people don't like long ques, but to have a match withing a minute with a legend, rather than waiting for maybe 2 minutes and getting someone closer to my level and my rank? Some don't mind the wait, why? Because it ensures getting a match that is equal rather than hoping the Legend you are facing does not get first, attack immediately, and critical on that attack... Then you are hoping you have the shields ready in your deck to block their attack...

Now, knowing what school my opponent is may sound like cheating, but if they have critical attacks and I don't, I need to know what shields to use and fast... So, call me a cheater, because if I am going to constantly be faced with Legends on my lower level characters, I will do what it takes to win!

Is this where we want pvp to go?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Now, my reply... You are correct, just because there are a lot of Warlords playing, does not mean they are all playing at the same time...

Now, I have 2 accounts mind you, and yes, this can be considered cheating... I join my noob into ranked pvp, then I use my second character to watch the match... Now, when I look at all the players playing, I see dozens, meaning a lot, of Warlords that are my level in matches... So, there are about 60 matches waiting for opponents, about 50 matches going, many of them are my level and warlords and I usually seem to end up facing the Legend?

I know people don't like long ques, but to have a match withing a minute with a legend, rather than waiting for maybe 2 minutes and getting someone closer to my level and my rank? Some don't mind the wait, why? Because it ensures getting a match that is equal rather than hoping the Legend you are facing does not get first, attack immediately, and critical on that attack... Then you are hoping you have the shields ready in your deck to block their attack...

Now, knowing what school my opponent is may sound like cheating, but if they have critical attacks and I don't, I need to know what shields to use and fast... So, call me a cheater, because if I am going to constantly be faced with Legends on my lower level characters, I will do what it takes to win!

But then again I understand everyone is upset with fighting legends but correct me if I'm wrong not all of them are high rank. And the ones that aren't high rank and didn't down rank and are just starting PvP. You and I can both agree that skill is a huge factor in an arena battle so we shouldn't always condem that the legend is fighting with more of an upper hand. And after watching some matches I also noticed that not every lower level warlord is fighting a lower ranked legend. I did see a few matches that were the same levels and around the same rank, my point from that of course is that it isn't everytime your going to get a legend. And my whole stance on this is that I don't want people to be aggresive that this is a huge problem because when you rush someone to fix something, it won't get fixed right(as this is a prime example of that) and thats why I want these kind of posts on the problem to be more of a good resolution rather than blasting an obvious problem.

Well Knowing the school doesn't always mean it is cheating I mean even since PvP has started knowing that is pretty crucial. I won't say the movie because there are younger readers but it is a very true quote. "Chance favors the prepared mind." So knowing the school of who you are fighting isn't really cheating it is just being smart.

However using your legend account with your lower level account and 2v2ing is kind of cheating. Or just in poor sport.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
Its easy,they rank down for easy matchs and tickets because they know it would take them longer to get tickets if they fought other warlords at level 60,so they rank down (still getting 4 tickets each time) and they have all arena gear but the lower ranks dont so an easy match quick kill and move to next low rank/level now getting 14 tickets per match and pushing the lower level PvPers down farther to the point they just quit. this is just a lazy way to get tickets,its like the big kid taking the little kids milk money or a legal means to bulling someone,there are many loopholes in PvP that need to be "fixed" ranking down is one of them. abusive language is another.

I've been playing well over 3 years and use to enjoy PvP with my freinds win or lose we always had fun an enjoyed it,and the matchs were even high levels matched with high levels low levels with low levels untill a large group came in and messed it up,we got a few banded but the bad attitude spread like wild fire and almost everyone (of all ages) started act bad,so most of the good players quit,this is why ranking is messed up now because not many people care to play PvP because win/lose you will still get cussed out or put down eather way,or report you till you get muted,so most said why bother.

so this is why people rank down although not all the reasons
P.S. watch you'll see what I mean after ppl read this

MichaelRedBlood LegendDeath

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

But then again I understand everyone is upset with fighting legends but correct me if I'm wrong not all of them are high rank. And the ones that aren't high rank and didn't down rank and are just starting PvP. You and I can both agree that skill is a huge factor in an arena battle so we shouldn't always condem that the legend is fighting with more of an upper hand. And after watching some matches I also noticed that not every lower level warlord is fighting a lower ranked legend. I did see a few matches that were the same levels and around the same rank, my point from that of course is that it isn't everytime your going to get a legend. And my whole stance on this is that I don't want people to be aggresive that this is a huge problem because when you rush someone to fix something, it won't get fixed right(as this is a prime example of that) and thats why I want these kind of posts on the problem to be more of a good resolution rather than blasting an obvious problem.

Well Knowing the school doesn't always mean it is cheating I mean even since PvP has started knowing that is pretty crucial. I won't say the movie because there are younger readers but it is a very true quote. "Chance favors the prepared mind." So knowing the school of who you are fighting isn't really cheating it is just being smart.

However using your legend account with your lower level account and 2v2ing is kind of cheating. Or just in poor sport.

You are not wrong, not all of the Legends are high ranked and not all have downranked... The problem still remains, that a level 27 warlord will face a Wizard between Grandmaster and Legend 8 or 9 matches out of 10...

The main questions is, why? Why are we now, forced to, all of a sudden, face Grandmasters and Legends all the time... It was not this way before! Yes, the wait times were a bit longer, but we did not get the huge mismatches all the time either... I can see once in a while, or even 2 to 3 out of 10, but on a consistant basis?

Now, if they are going to force these situations, they should Give Critical blocks on arena gear. Take out the tickets feature and if you reach Warlord, you get all the gear! You lose that rank and you dont get to use that gear... At least then, it wont be as bad facing the Legends all the time!

As for a lower level warlord teaming with a legend warlord, that is considered cheating? Can I ask how? Almost the entire time, except for 1 match, we were faced against 2 Legends...

Now, I can see, a low level low rank, with a legend that has downranked, I can see that as a possible cheat, yes...

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
When I fight legends on my magus warlord, they are usually private legends - I dont mind giving these guys a win but I just DONT like it if those privates are just down ranked cheaters that down ranked to help their noob adept on a 2nd account get to warlord.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

You are not wrong, not all of the Legends are high ranked and not all have downranked... The problem still remains, that a level 27 warlord will face a Wizard between Grandmaster and Legend 8 or 9 matches out of 10...

The main questions is, why? Why are we now, forced to, all of a sudden, face Grandmasters and Legends all the time... It was not this way before! Yes, the wait times were a bit longer, but we did not get the huge mismatches all the time either... I can see once in a while, or even 2 to 3 out of 10, but on a consistant basis?

Now, if they are going to force these situations, they should Give Critical blocks on arena gear. Take out the tickets feature and if you reach Warlord, you get all the gear! You lose that rank and you dont get to use that gear... At least then, it wont be as bad facing the Legends all the time!

As for a lower level warlord teaming with a legend warlord, that is considered cheating? Can I ask how? Almost the entire time, except for 1 match, we were faced against 2 Legends...

Now, I can see, a low level low rank, with a legend that has downranked, I can see that as a possible cheat, yes...

How can you say a low level low rank and a legend that is down ranked is cheating, but a high rank low level and a high rank legend isn't cheating? You know as well as I do that doing that is just trying to take advantage of lower ranked legends who might not know a lot about PvP to get a win? Seriously it is basically the exact same thing. If you think one is cheating then the other is. You shouldn't get free gear just for hitting warlord that really defeats the purpose of even having arena tickets and will just inflate our problem with people using cheap tricks to not work to get to warlord. Now when people kept complaining about this you said that the game provided with everything and that was conviction, why has your opinion changed now? You can get conviction at any level and the rank requirement isn't that high.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I actually find fighting unskilled legends easier then fighting skilled people my same level.

About the 2v2 problem, If the magus team could always block criticals and always go first, it wouldn't be that hard to win.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
@ Thorvon,

How can you say a low level high rank and a Legend of High rank vs 2 Legends is cheating?

If you take out a legend each, you are left with a low level high rank vs a Legend... Do you consider a low level high rank vs a legend cheating?

I am not sure if you even realize what you are saying...

Anyway, what made me change my mind on certain views? Well, for one, I actually went to the source of many problems and complaints... I started those new wizards and tried things from their perspective... It is easy for a Legend to say this and that, because they are a Legend... As far as my Legends are concerned, PvP is quite fair...

However, just because PvP is fair for Legends, does not make it so for low levels, mid levels, and upper levels...

Instead of always going against what I say, just to argue with me, maybe you should try starting a new wizard in pvp and see for yourself... I know I have the skills, but do you?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
@ Thorvon,

How can you say a low level high rank and a Legend of High rank vs 2 Legends is cheating?

If you take out a legend each, you are left with a low level high rank vs a Legend... Do you consider a low level high rank vs a legend cheating?

Anyway, what made me change my mind on certain views? Well, for one, I actually went to the source of many problems and complaints... I started those new wizards and tried things from their perspective... It is easy for a Legend to say this and that, because they are a Legend... As far as my Legends are concerned, PvP is quite fair...

However, just because PvP is fair for Legends, does not make it so for low levels, mid levels, and upper levels...

Instead of always going against what I say, just to argue with me, maybe you should try starting a new wizard in pvp and see for yourself... I know I have the skills, but do you?

I have made low level PvPers and if you were like you say you are you would know that when you are a high rank low level wanting to play with another high rank low level in a 2v2 what happens of course you get a legend and a low level and usually they aren't in low rank. And I do think the system needs work I just don't think you guys should be so extreme about it because when I'm playing it isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be and if you just constantly complain and go extreme with it, it won't be fixed properly it will just be a quick fix to appease your complaints, and of course that just leads to a bigger problem.

And what is this ego thing of yours.. All you have done since you have gotten back is pretended how good you are. And that oh i'm twice as good as laura is, or you can't do this because you lack the skills that I have or something. Like really your not impressing anyone.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
@ Thorvon,

I have made low level PvPers and if you were like you say you are you would know that when you are a high rank low level wanting to play with another high rank low level in a 2v2 what happens of course you get a legend and a low level and usually they aren't in low rank. And I do think the system needs work I just don't think you guys should be so extreme about it because when I'm playing it isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be and if you just constantly complain and go extreme with it, it won't be fixed properly it will just be a quick fix to appease your complaints, and of course that just leads to a bigger problem.

And what is this ego thing of yours.. All you have done since you have gotten back is pretended how good you are. And that oh i'm twice as good as laura is, or you can't do this because you lack the skills that I have or something. Like really your not impressing anyone.

Not trying to impress Thorvon, especially not you... All I am doing, is stating the facts... If you can't handle the truth, then you shouldn't ask for it!

Yes, I have an ego and yes, I am that good! If ever you want me to deflate your ego and prove how good I am, just give the word!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
those privates are just down ranked cheaters

Sorry, but since there aren't any actual rules in ranked PVP, you can't actually CHEAT.

You can do stuff that other players feel is unfair, but you can't cheat.

it requires rules to break in order to cheat

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Hey Darthj, I agree with you on the wait times. I hardly pvp on my lower level warlords, ( they are level 17 to 29), because I almost always end up with a legend to fight. Now, I too, would rather wait a longer time and be matched up with a similar warlord my level, rather than get matched up with legends 9 times out of 10!

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:

This is a forum. Moreover this is THEIR forum - where else am I suppose to get answers for my burning questions?

The issue is widespread, it's rampant and its as destructive as wildfire to PvP.

Thank you,
LW

Well, In my opinion, maybe downranking is not something that can or should be stopped,I just fight the battles as they come, win or lose. I compare it to High School sports: certain schools are in different state classes, so they tend to play similar size schools, but the levels of the players can be immensely different, so the 1-10 rated school plays the 10-1 school, and loses, is that fair, not really but thats the nature of the beast. Downranker's don't really bother me so much in 1v1, but in team matches it is bothersome, but also nature of the beast. Idk if a solution would create a bigger problem, but KI should investigate, which they probably are, but things take time. Now, I am not trying to argue with you, and I understand your points, I am just offering a different opinion.

But unless they are going to stop pvping altogether I cant understand what they can do. If you lose a match you lose rank, which in essence IS downranking. So do you no want people to lose rank? or just lose rank to a certain point? What is the point of pvp if you just keep your rank when you lose? I know it is frustrating that everything is not perfect in pvp, we all feel it, but honestly can't we just play and have fun with it. We win, we lose, just have fun. I don't really care what KI does to the pvp issues, another one will just come up, and the teens are resourceful and will just find another way around it or another issue to irritate us all with.

One possible easy solution would be instead of the 5 min wait time from fleeing is to make the wizards wait 1 day before the next match. That might discourage some from downranking.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
When I fight legends on my magus warlord, they are usually private legends - I dont mind giving these guys a win but I just DONT like it if those privates are just down ranked cheaters that down ranked to help their noob adept on a 2nd account get to warlord.

Laura, this assumes that you can read the mind of every private legend. How do you know if they have downranked to help others? Winning or losing against a private legend is still the same win or loss, even if they are downranked or not. Now, I am not saying they are correct in what they did, if they did it for nefarious reasons, but one cannot make assumptions that one cannot possibly know. As for helping their adepts get warlord status, well you dont need a second account for that, heck, I see team ups all the time like that and they are not even friends. A lot of times you will see the legends actively asking around in the arena for lower levels (adepts/or lower) to join them in matches, it is not just people with 2 accounts. Are we just gonna ban team ups? I understand your frustration, heck I have magus, adept, grand and legend warlords, but I am not so sure that a drastic solution is called for. Something yes, but I honestly don't think that pvp will ever be considered 100% fair by everyones standards. And aren't we all just getting a little too worked up over a game? It is a game........and lets go back to having fun with it. Yes they need to fix some issues, but I want to have fun again, I am done worrying about my warlord status and am just gonna pvp to win or lose and just have fun. In fact the other night my level 17 warlord battled and lost 5 in a row against the legends! almost losing warlord status. I am done with it now, I don't care if I lose warlord status anymore. I am just gonna play the game as a game. They will fix one thing and another issue will be made, the best thing to do is to just play, have fun, be your best, and if pvp gets your blood pressure going, switch to practice matches where the losses don't ruin the rank. Set up the practice matches to play only with friends and that way one is assured that they get the opponents they want.

I dont think downranking can be prevented, as you lose rank just by losing. If you rank up to warlord, but never lost any rank and only gained it when you won, what would be the point? I think they could slow downranking on purpose by making the wait times a lot longer if someone flees the battle, OR since the issue still seems to be a magus/adept warlord fighting legends; they could finally fix that issue.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:
those privates are just down ranked cheaters

Sorry, but since there aren't any actual rules in ranked PVP, you can't actually CHEAT.

You can do stuff that other players feel is unfair, but you can't cheat.

it requires rules to break in order to cheat

Just because KingsIsle allows it to happen does not mean it's NOT a cheat.

There are places they sell newspapers with a sign "Leave a quarter" but some people still take the newspaper and run for it because the rule is not enforced.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
EvilDroid wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:

Thank you,
LW

Well, In my opinion, maybe downranking is not something that can or should be stopped,I just fight the battles as they come, win or lose. I compare it to High School sports: certain schools are in different state classes, so they tend to play similar size schools, but the levels of the players can be immensely different, so the 1-10 rated school plays the 10-1 school, and loses, is that fair, not really but thats the nature of the beast. Downranker's don't really bother me so much in 1v1, but in team matches it is bothersome, but also nature of the beast. Idk if a solution would create a bigger problem, but KI should investigate, which they probably are, but things take time. Now, I am not trying to argue with you, and I understand your points, I am just offering a different opinion.

But unless they are going to stop pvping altogether I cant understand what they can do. If you lose a match you lose rank, which in essence IS downranking. So do you no want people to lose rank? or just lose rank to a certain point? What is the point of pvp if you just keep your rank when you lose? I know it is frustrating that everything is not perfect in pvp, we all feel it, but honestly can't we just play and have fun with it. We win, we lose, just have fun. I don't really care what KI does to the pvp issues, another one will just come up, and the teens are resourceful and will just find another way around it or another issue to irritate us all with.

One possible easy solution would be instead of the 5 min wait time from fleeing is to make the wizards wait 1 day before the next match. That might discourage some from downranking.

Going to respond to you one at a time.

It seems like you have not read my thread about 'Best Suggestions to Improve PvP' because there I write several suggestions to discourage downranking and here you write that you're not sure how it could be done.

There are two major things that could be done:

1. One of them is rendering Commander gear to unequippable if you downrank under Knight. Veteran gear unequippable at Private. This will discourage downrankers on its own, believe me. They love their resist as do all PvPers.

2. The second idea can be made to happen in two ways:
a. Either lock PvP rating at 500 or,
b. Allow people to dip under 500, but only 1v1 is admissible with a rating
under 500.

So you have two options to greatly diminish downranking in combination: either 1 and 2(a) or 1 and 2(b).

If 1 and 2(b) goes unto effect, adept warlords will still fight the legend sub-privates in 1v1, but they will be real sub-privates, criticaling and without the resist. Over in teams, is where you will see the greater effect, and it will be for the better.

With 1 and 2(a), there will be kids that never win a match but these are the same kids that love the questing aspect of the game or that can ask a friend how to improve to lift past 500 - at least they wont be ranked 75. That's gotta not be good on their self-esteem.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:

1. One of them is rendering Commander gear to unequippable if you downrank under Knight. Veteran gear unequippable at Private. This will discourage downrankers on its own, believe me. They love their resist as do all PvPers.

That only works if you also force the person to remove the gear automatically if they drop below a certain rank.

But then you punish the people that didn't MEAN to lose those points. And how fair is that?

People that down rank while wearing their gear don't take it off unless they're going to go level - and if it became unequipable, they just wouldn't go level till they got the right rank back.

laurawatersong wrote:

2. The second idea can be made to happen in two ways:
a. Either lock PvP rating at 500 or,
b. Allow people to dip under 500, but only 1v1 is admissible with a rating
under 500.

That isn't going to stop anything either except now you break the entire system. What about the people who are simply fighting a match. one loses. Do they not lose points? If not, then they're going to just lose all day long so they can boost their friends and not have any ill effects.

laurawatersong wrote:

So you have two options to greatly diminish downranking in combination: either 1 and 2(a) or 1 and 2(b).

Sorry, but neither of them are workable, valid options. They only sound like good ideas because you aren't considering all the other factors that they will affect.

There are several reasons why people down rank:

1. to get tickets easier
2. to get matches faster
3. to get more evenly matched battles
4. to be mean and nasty and stomp on low rank, low level people

Almost no body down ranks for reason number 4.

Fix the reasons WHY people down rank, and they won't have to do it.