Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Low rank legend epidemic in pvp.

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
... Just going to say thank you kingsisle for ruining ranked pvp. Playing under magus now is a waste of my time and money. You cater to point hungry, magus hard players now driving Legends down in rank. I can't even que a fight without fighting someone 50 levels higher than me throwing criticals at me and my 700 health. Ty for "fixing" the point system all the while ignoring rank issues and the impact on low level pvp. You see, when you take the fun out of things people just stop doing it... That is the case with me and this broken point system. No replies plz I won't be posting here unless something is done. Level 10 (no critical) vs Level 60 (critical).... Is this what you had in mind when you changed the game? Really?

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
travisAk wrote:
... Just going to say thank you kingsisle for ruining ranked pvp. Playing under magus now is a waste of my time and money. You cater to point hungry, magus hard players now driving Legends down in rank. I can't even que a fight without fighting someone 50 levels higher than me throwing criticals at me and my 700 health. Ty for "fixing" the point system all the while ignoring rank issues and the impact on low level pvp. You see, when you take the fun out of things people just stop doing it... That is the case with me and this broken point system. No replies plz I won't be posting here unless something is done. Level 10 (no critical) vs Level 60 (critical).... Is this what you had in mind when you changed the game? Really?

I am with you on this,I dont like to fight someone 40levels below me its not fair to them at all,and just makes people want quit PvP.

M.RedBlood death

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
The way the PvP system works is that it pair you up against someone who is at your rank and as close to your level as possible. Maybe nobody at your level is playing right now, or they are all in an arena match already.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
travisAk wrote:

So you're complaining because you're a level 10 fighting a level 60 and lose five points in that match, all while accusing maguses like me of being "point-hungry"? Why don't you make sure you are really making sense before posting a rant like this?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
travisAk wrote:

So you're complaining because you're a level 10 fighting a level 60 and lose five points in that match, all while accusing maguses like me of being "point-hungry"? Why don't you make sure you are really making sense before posting a rant like this?

Sorry Laura, but you really need facts before you make statements... Travis is absolutely correct in his post. A Level 10 Warlord can face these Level 60 Legendary Wizards that have downranked, and because they are below the 500 private line, they can get up to 20 rank points!!! For facing a level 10? I know, I have seen it.

I have deleted 1 of my Legendary Balance Wizards, and restarted 1 wizard and made 2 new wizards. 1 is a level 12 balance wizard, while the other is a level 26 death wizard with the myth amulet.

Getting them to Warlord is too easy, especially with the pets they have, the amulets they have, and the talents the pets have... Also, all the gardening I do, I have excellent treasure cards they can use...

Now, problem is, once they reach that warlord rank, they are constantly getting matched up with low rank legendary wizards all the time. And it is not even a long que, it is a very short que. Now, when I win, yes, I get some rank points, but even when I lose, I can lose quite a few rank points. Not a few, like 5 or 6, but a lot, up to 20 on my death.

Now, my characters are new warlords, so they don't have the commander gear yet, since the robe is 1000, hat is 700, boots are 500, ring is 300 and athame is 100... I might have ring and athame mixed up, but that is irrelavent.

The point is, that while a new character, is working hard to get a great win/loss record, trying to get the arena tickets to get the cool gear (Which btw, is only good to levels below grandmaster), they have to fight these matches with legendary wizards? I like a challenge, I admit, but this happens way too often to be considered fair.

The matching system is broken and needs to be fixed. The Scoring system, would be good, if it actually did what we thought it would do, but it takes both in consideration, so those legendaries that downrank and bully lower levels can get their rank back very quickly and very easily by facing the very low levels that have no real defense against their attacks. And yes, we can lose many rank points while we are at it.

So, travis have some very good points, while Laura, you lack the evidence to support your claim that this is indeed fair.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

See what all the complaining has done, that you backed and argued with Darth on. KI listed to you, and made changes to the game, at a huge expense to them.
Things were not fixed as you wanted, and it clearly hurt you in the game you wanted to play. If you had not asked the game to be changed, this would not have happened. So you can only Blame yourself and other people that complained on this one, no else else.

Bottom line on this, is that..............
KI listed and made changes, the changes were just not what you wanted.
That is not KI's fault, and you should not be mad at them for the changes.

You have a level 10, that can be moved up to a higher level, do so and adjust.

Joe.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
darthjt wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Sorry Laura, but you really need facts before you make statements... Travis is absolutely correct in his post. A Level 10 Warlord can face these Level 60 Legendary Wizards that have downranked, and because they are below the 500 private line, they can get up to 20 rank points!!! For facing a level 10? I know, I have seen it.

I have deleted 1 of my Legendary Balance Wizards, and restarted 1 wizard and made 2 new wizards. 1 is a level 12 balance wizard, while the other is a level 26 death wizard with the myth amulet.

Getting them to Warlord is too easy, especially with the pets they have, the amulets they have, and the talents the pets have... Also, all the gardening I do, I have excellent treasure cards they can use...

Now, problem is, once they reach that warlord rank, they are constantly getting matched up with low rank legendary wizards all the time. And it is not even a long que, it is a very short que. Now, when I win, yes, I get some rank points, but even when I lose, I can lose quite a few rank points. Not a few, like 5 or 6, but a lot, up to 20 on my death.

Now, my characters are new warlords, so they don't have the commander gear yet, since the robe is 1000, hat is 700, boots are 500, ring is 300 and athame is 100... I might have ring and athame mixed up, but that is irrelavent.

The point is, that while a new character, is working hard to get a great win/loss record, trying to get the arena tickets to get the cool gear (Which btw, is only good to levels below grandmaster), they have to fight these matches with legendary wizards? I like a challenge, I admit, but this happens way too often to be considered fair.

The matching system is broken and needs to be fixed. The Scoring system, would be good, if it actually did what we thought it would do, but it takes both in consideration, so those legendaries that downrank and bully lower levels can get their rank back very quickly and very easily by facing the very low levels that have no real defense against their attacks. And yes, we can lose many rank points while we are at it.

So, travis have some very good points, while Laura, you lack the evidence to support your claim that this is indeed fair.
Ty... This is the sentiment of most people I know and pvp with. My present circles consist of many low level players who were negatively impacted by this adjustment. The problem is not just a result of legends downranking for point and ticket strategies but also the sheer amount of low experienced legends getting tortured in arena by mid level masters, and losing big points. I've told Laura in different posts that I undersand the flaws in the point system before but too much tweaking was done. Although level does affect match outcome RANK is a reflection of experience and should hold more weight in point distribution.IMO the system should be somewhere in between where it was before and where it is now. I have completely ceased playing because of this issue...

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:
travisAk wrote:

That is completely contradictatory. You weren't complaining when you used things you could access because you have legendary wizards to trample over any new player to get to warlord. But then you fight someone who may be a challenge and there goes a complaint. And as you can see these piles of complaints now build up to an even worse system. "What comes around goes around" Darth.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Interesting. I'd like to direct you to this post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/38647.ftl

The opening statement is illuminating...

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
I know exactly what you guys are speaking of because I am fighting sub-100 legends on my level 28 ice.

What you guys fail to realize is that these 'legends' are ACTUALLY really bad at PvP. They did not down-rank.

I have walked into the arena to face a legends of this sort and of course I'm nervous, but I've never lost to them. Here's what you can expect a legend with rating under 100 to do:

1. they hit you fully weaknessed.
2. they will blow all their pips on serial polymorphs and hit you with a school that is not their own.
3. they will rarely fight you for the bubble
4. their gear sucks so bad, they will only critical about 25 percent of the time.
5. their pet is a sad baby that makes the headmaster's pet piggle seem like a good alternative or an adult pet with the most random talent possible.
6. they are not stacking any resist because they dont even know what it is.
7. they seem to almost always go second - perhaps the game is not allowing a person of such much higher level go first.
8. their list of their fatal pvp flaws can go on and on but notice that these down-rank legends are not fleeing. they are actually REALLY bad fighters!

It's come to the point where, if one were to win against me, I would not begrudge them the points - hell I'm a 1000 rating ice warlord without a shred of Commander gear.

I can deal with making one of these lost boys happy for all of five minutes before they go get beat up again.

Now i would not really expect self-professed leg-noobers to understand fully what it really means to take the high-road on matches like this, but thought it would be worth of note that I do have backup for every single one of my claims.

The scoring system and the matching system are working fine. If you absolutely can't stand to lose to one of these legends, play a low level ice, myth or fire. Those schools will have you beat them nine times out of ten, provided you got the skill.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

See what all the complaining has done, that you backed and argued with Darth on. KI listed to you, and made changes to the game, at a huge expense to them.
Things were not fixed as you wanted, and it clearly hurt you in the game you wanted to play. If you had not asked the game to be changed, this would not have happened. So you can only Blame yourself and other people that complained on this one, no else else.

Joe.
. Hey Joe,

I Have butted heads with DarthJT on many issues in the past. This is an issue that widely affects a group of people in pvp. Your attitude of "like it or level up" is the kind of thing that makes people want to quit a good MMO. You see many play this game for all sorts of reasons. I like my apprentice wizard and would like to continue playing with him, unfortunately the system has made it so the health difference between me and a legendary ice is 700-3800.... I can not block critical effectively and even if I use conviction the game is forcing me to a) downrank, something I just don't do or b) get completely slaughtered.

I'm sorry but it seems to me like you have no arena wizard below legend? So why must you inject yourself into a discussion you have no weight into? Check the forums, there are EXTREME mismatches occurring right now in the arena negatively affecting all levels of experience at low level pvp. Just because someone does not do a particular type of pvp doesn't mean that everyone doesn't. Although I respect your opinions Joe this is a little out of your circle. Thx

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Thorvon,

I was a Legendary on all my wizards Thorvon, being a Legend and getting the Warlord Title is just too easy... Also, with Legendary gear, the tickets have absolutely no value...

Also, I have heard a lot of complaints in the lower level PvP and mid level PvP!!!

Now, the only way to know and understand the complaints, unlike you Thorvon, who just force an opinion on everyone, without experience or knowledge on the matter, I took 2 wizards and went to see for myself...

Now, yes, I do have crown gear, I do have epic pets... Although Thorvon, if you actually tried this, you would see, you don't get matched up with new players... You get matched up with people levels above you, ranks above you, and the higher your rank, the higher levels you face...

Now, I am not stating I can't win, but is it fair for a level 27 warlord wizard to always be fighting wizards between the levels of 53 and 60?

Now, Thorvon, if you would, please refrain from commenting on any of my posts... You never contribute to the topic, you keep going off topic and attacking me... I just got back, give it a rest already...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

Joe.
. Hey Joe,

I Have butted heads with DarthJT on many issues in the past. This is an issue that widely affects a group of people in pvp. Your attitude of "like it or level up" is the kind of thing that makes people want to quit a good MMO. You see many play this game for all sorts of reasons. I like my apprentice wizard and would like to continue playing with him, unfortunately the system has made it so the health difference between me and a legendary ice is 700-3800.... I can not block critical effectively and even if I use conviction the game is forcing me to a) downrank, something I just don't do or b) get completely slaughtered.

I'm sorry but it seems to me like you have no arena wizard below legend? So why must you inject yourself into a discussion you have no weight into? Check the forums, there are EXTREME mismatches occurring right now in the arena negatively affecting all levels of experience at low level pvp. Just because someone does not do a particular type of pvp doesn't mean that everyone doesn't. Although I respect your opinions Joe this is a little out of your circle. Thx

Interesting... I could have sworn your opening post said "No replies plz I won't be posting here unless something is done." Has something been done that I missed?

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
well after fighting about a dozen legends who sucked really badly, i finally came across one that didnt: Justin Fire, some balance guy who had downranked to 'help a friend' and the match did cost me 20 points.

the guy was apologizing profusely and offering to flee if we got matched up again. (he feinted and criticaled a judge on turn 6 with three blades, one weakness of mine and mostly power pips). 3,500 hit on a level 28 ice without commander gear. could have barely survived it if the towers showed -.-

anyway, it was not a big deal, i kept on playing mostly GMs and legends that sucked and my rank got back higher than what it was before.

I really do think that I am hitting the nail on the head when I encourage you to suggest prevention for intentional down-ranking - because that's really what you guys are not happy about. The change to the scoring system is just something you are using as a cop-out to rationalize mismatches. Darth, I believe that you should back down and admit that what you REALLY are looking for is changes to prevent downranking.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Thorvon,

I was a Legendary on all my wizards Thorvon, being a Legend and getting the Warlord Title is just too easy... Also, with Legendary gear, the tickets have absolutely no value...

Also, I have heard a lot of complaints in the lower level PvP and mid level PvP!!!

Now, the only way to know and understand the complaints, unlike you Thorvon, who just force an opinion on everyone, without experience or knowledge on the matter, I took 2 wizards and went to see for myself...

Now, yes, I do have crown gear, I do have epic pets... Although Thorvon, if you actually tried this, you would see, you don't get matched up with new players... You get matched up with people levels above you, ranks above you, and the higher your rank, the higher levels you face...

Now, I am not stating I can't win, but is it fair for a level 27 warlord wizard to always be fighting wizards between the levels of 53 and 60?

Now, Thorvon, if you would, please refrain from commenting on any of my posts... You never contribute to the topic, you keep going off topic and attacking me... I just got back, give it a rest already...

I'm not off topic... It is easy to say that I have always been off topic. It is like you just get back and you ruin another good post for everyone. As soon as you got back a post was closed one that I enjoyed reading and posting about because it was a real problem that needed to be fixed. But then guess what I get bashed, without any kind of constructive point so guess what it is closed, and the funny thing is it wasn't the first time this has happened. The funniest part is I didn't even tell them that post was offensive they took it down before I even got to read it.

Now I never said I was against fixing the rank problem. Legend PvP is definetily more of a challenge then ranking up at level 5, at low levels any person can use a higher level character to gain access to very high level pets. They have access to a bigger quanity of gold for better treasure cards. And then you just trample over any new player that comes in.

As to your Having legendaries um I guess that is good for you? I mean it doesn't have any contribution to the topic.

Um as for legend PvPing and how legend gear makes arena tickets worthless? That is a problem but that still doesn't tie into anything I said because we are talking about Lower level Pvping.

Um you might need to clarify this because I never said that better gear or a good pet influences who your matched with. Now of course as your rank goes up you will fight tougher opponents which I would hope is the case because that seems pretty basic to PvP

When did I ever state that I was saying that your always going to lose?

It isn't fair that you are fighting level 60s and I never said that it was. I'm merely stating that you don't think people you beat to get the rank you have feel the same way with advanced pets?

Honestly Darth Your just attacking me like constantly and it isn't fair to the other posters that your attacks close their posts.. And your just making up stuff that I apparently said. I mean really my post was not even a paragraph lol... And it certainly wasn't directed towards you because you weren't even posting the time I posted that. So honestly stop joking around or trying to bash me in these posts. I don't mind it because there will always be people like that, but your getting peoples well thought out posts closed.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
travisAk wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

Joe.
. Hey Joe,

Interesting... I could have sworn your opening post said "No replies plz I won't be posting here unless something is done." Has something been done that I missed?
It's always nice to hear the opinions of people who rarely play pvp on the pvp message board, Good feedback on the subject.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:
It's always nice to hear the opinions of people who rarely play pvp on the pvp message board, Good feedback on the subject.

Apparently, your sense of humor disappeared with change to ranked scoring. No worries, I've made a note that your opinion is the most important and to leave you alone from here on out. Happy sulking.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Interesting. I'd like to direct you to this post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/38647.ftl

The opening statement is illuminating...

You think that by stating the matching system is broken, that I am making an excuse? Is that what you are implying?

FYI, I have won most of my matches against these Legendaries, but that is besides the point. Yes, I have an ego, but then again, I am that GooD!

Most people are not in the same league as I am when it comes to PvP... Now, if I, find it a little bit challenging and a little bit frustrating, think of how normal people would feel... Think on how beginners or new warlords will feel... Is this the example you want to set for them? Is this your high and mighty rebuttal to my claim?

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
I often wonder if people like Joe even noticed the change in point distribution and how it has affected low level. The result of low level gaining rank fast clashing with legends losing rank and the gap in level clashes. I guess from an average player playing on a legend it's hard to see these issues in pvp. I've never said people should have to fight their exact level lol, more so to bring light to the fact that rank should be more of a deciding factor then level in point distribution. Tr asking a few questions Joe, you might get a better idea of what is going on.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Is this your high and mighty rebuttal to my claim?

Its not a rebuttal. It was merely a humorous (I thought anyway) attempt to draw your attention to the rather duplicitous nature of many of your statements.

Survivor
May 29, 2010
PvP isn't different because of the levels you fight really its about skill.

Defender
May 24, 2009
i see your point but kingsile isnt superman everything they do to fix something generates 5 more problem becasue of some of us players have learned how to defy the ranking system and get higher ranks.This does not really have negative affects on legend pvp people but for magus and lower if you are a high pvp rank you are honestly good so you are being matched up against people to see the extent of your skill my lvl 37 magus whooped a lvl 55 person with gear that didnt affect him you just have to find a way around the level limitations my ice used stun block a treasure astral spell [cant remember witch i usually train in moon]that does minus 20 percent damage a bunch of towers and bladed up while the person use storm lord withch did 2000 out of 2,300 and i did icezilla and did 3,000 damage remember each schools weakness and exploit it and you will have much better chances be smarter than your your enemy.

joseph wyrmbane and joseph duskspear legendary spirits

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
joey987123 wrote:
i see your point but kingsile isnt superman everything they do to fix something generates 5 more problem becasue of some of us players have learned how to defy the ranking system and get higher ranks.This does not really have negative affects on legend pvp people but for magus and lower if you are a high pvp rank you are honestly good so you are being matched up against people to see the extent of your skill my lvl 37 magus whooped a lvl 55 person with gear that didnt affect him you just have to find a way around the level limitations my ice used stun block a treasure astral spell [cant remember witch i usually train in moon]that does minus 20 percent damage a bunch of towers and bladed up while the person use storm lord withch did 2000 out of 2,300 and i did icezilla and did 3,000 damage remember each schools weakness and exploit it and you will have much better chances be smarter than your your enemy.

joseph wyrmbane and joseph duskspear legendary spirits
my level 10 just fought a balance legend from second. My health was 754-she was 3600. I could not defend as she increased her critical change with vengeance, I have no critical block.... She won the pip war because I have 25%max and all her pips came yellow. Her critical judge hit me for 2900, over four times my health (I have 54% resist). Find your way around that!

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
i now fighting higher level and also level 1 warlords is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo unfair

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

TravisAK,

Joe.
. Hey Joe,

I just want to say that your last sentence really ticks me off! Who are you to say what someone does and doesn't understand? You don't know the person behind the wizard! (unless you know them irl) So don't sound like you're the high and mighty person here, the person you say doesn't understand anything about PvP could be some kind of scholar or professor at a University or a philosopher! (well, i doubt the last one, but you never know )