Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help!

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2011
Generally when a card is greyed out, it means you do not have enough pips to cast the spell. Did you check that you had enough?

Also, remember that yellow pips count as two only for spells from your school.

You are given a warning before starting a dungeon so you can plan a time to do it when you have the time. Gathering up some friends to help you with dungeons will shorten the time. It is up to you how you wish to play it.

I know the first time I faced 3 enemies alone it was a bit daunting, but it can be done with some strategy in the setting up your deck, and what you choose to dress in. Whenever I feel the enemies are beyond me, I will just back up and level up in past dungeons. I can rack up some gold, items, and experience. I will, also, offer out help to my friends. Again, you do not have to play by yourself, I believe the majority choose to share quests together.
I play solo most of the time, just because I like to challenge myself, but it does take more time and creative strategy to do so.

As far as the spells not doing much damage, the higher you go in levels the more damaging spells you train for. You can increase the strength of your spells with traps and charms. I believe some of the above was covered by Diego in Unicorn Way, so if you have already gone through that, I apologize of repeating.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
WordsonWings wrote:

1. I "buy" treasure cards, yet I have a problem many a time getting them. I know how to right click and go through my deck, but more than half the time they don't come up or they are greyed out.

You also have to make sure you place your treasure cards in EACH deck you are using. If they are greyed out, you don't have enough pips. Yellow pips only count as double for your primary school and that goes for treasure cards too.

WordsonWings wrote:

2. I am standing for three rounds at a time sometimes with greyed out cards and not able to use anything. Why? Is there a special "way" to put a deck together?

Again, you have to more pips/turns to cast those spells. Every time you use up your pips, the amount decreases. You have to save up for higher spells. Casting "0" pip spells will help you save up.

WordsonWings wrote:
3. What is the issue with the Dungeons? Does Kings Isle really believe we all don't have lives and can sit in front of the computer and finish a Dungeon or else have to start over!

With a few exceptions, most dungeons take about an hour. All dungeons are faster if you take more people with you. Wizard101 may not be the type of game for you.

WordsonWings wrote:
4. What is with three creatures against one person? How am I supposed to fight three by myself with greyed out cards and spells that hardly do damage on my enemies!

You might want to read the instructions/tips located here:

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
1) the more treasure cards you load in your deck the more unlikely you will get "the one" you want. I suggest you only load 3 or 4 per battle until you understand the game a little better.

2) Cards are greyed out because you do not have enough pips to cast them, or you do not have enough mana to cast them. I suggest you use treasure cards that are more comparable to your level, and try to stick to cards that are you own school if you get power pips.
For instance, if you are level 15 then don't load a 6 pip spell like collosus.

3) I think it is safe to say that most people who play this game have time to do the dungeons. If you find that you often struggle in dungeons and/or die before completing them then you should try to level up by doing side quest you skipped or examine your gear and strategy.
The most effective method of surviving in this game is to enter dungeons in groups of 3 or 4 wizards who are on the same quest (or above).

4) In what battle did you face 3 creatures alone? The only place this happens is in a dungeon boss battle, so once again I will say do dungeons with a group of 3 or 4 wizards until you refine your strategy to the point that you can go solo.

In summary there are numerous ways to improve your gameplay and most of them only require a little time to research. Go to Wizard101central.com and you can find strategy guides for almost any aspect of this game.
You can also find veteran players in the game and ask them questions; or watch them fight and learn some strategy from them.

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
1) the more treasure cards you load in your deck the more unlikely you will get "the one" you want. I suggest you only load 3 or 4 per battle until you understand the game a little better.

2) Cards are greyed out because you do not have enough pips to cast them, or you do not have enough mana to cast them. I suggest you use treasure cards that are more comparable to your level, and try to stick to cards that are you own school if you get power pips.
For instance, if you are level 15 then don't load a 6 pip spell like collosus.

3) I think it is safe to say that most people who play this game have time to do the dungeons. If you find that you often struggle in dungeons and/or die before completing them then you should try to level up by doing side quest you skipped or examine your gear and strategy.
The most effective method of surviving in this game is to enter dungeons in groups of 3 or 4 wizards who are on the same quest (or above).

4) In what battle did you face 3 creatures alone? The only place this happens is in a dungeon boss battle, so once again I will say do dungeons with a group of 3 or 4 wizards until you refine your strategy to the point that you can go solo.

In summary there are numerous ways to improve your gameplay and most of them only require a little time to research. Go to Wizard101central.com and you can find strategy guides for almost any aspect of this game.
You can also find veteran players in the game and ask them questions; or watch them fight and learn some strategy from them.

This.

Honestly, Wizard101 takes a little bit of strategy. It will come easier when you look over your deck (and the help pages). You will begin to see better ways to fight, and how, and you will begin to develop strategy.

Damage cards aren't meant to just be thrown out there. Use blades (like Stormblade) or traps (like Hex or Life Trap) to boost your damage. They almost always cost 0 pips (they are never greyed out). There are a few rare exeptions (like Feint) but you won't run into those until you are a highish level.

Also: What is your school and level. We could help you more if you told us that.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
Ah, the dreaded and somewhat scary greyed out hand of cards...
so, to answer your questions:
1. If you have treasure cards in your side board, never dump your entire deck and fill your hand with treasure cards unless each treasure card that you put in there, beforehand, can be set up to kill the enemies; a blade, a trap, a damage card with some good power behind it, a shield of the opposite school or two, a healing card, a weakness or something.... and so on.
2. Make sure you put cards in your deck that are utilizable for your level and the monsters you are fighting.
3. I like to plan out longer dungeons by giving myself time to work on them, so sometimes, if I have a big dungeon that needs to be done, I block out a Saturday morning or something when I have a little more time. Planning is highly helpful.
4. Fill your sideboard (treasure deck) with shields that deflect damage from the opponant and healing cards.
Questions answered in the order asked.
Don't get discouraged!
Reading your spellbook's help pages are very useful, but don't forget that your gear/clothes/ rings/wands, ect. can boost your spells so that you never hopefully sit three rounds with a greyed out hand.
Best of luck, and always, always, try and have fun! :)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hello.

It seems to me that the most frustrating issue you have is deck set up. Set up of your main deck can make gameplay go from fun to downright frustrating.

Keep your highest 2 rank attack cards in your deck, nothing more. If you like, use traps, however, I found it a lot more 'efficient' for me to only add blades, and nothing else. Include maximum number of healing cards with you if you need to heal yourself. *** The smaller your deck, the better your hand each round.
PS: If you find yourself discarding valuable/powerful cards each round, it is probably a good indicator that your deck is still too big.

As for dungeons, I skip those hard ones lol. I have yet to do Sunken City in Wizard City.

Also, being really frustrated and angry just bombs your general gameplay experience. Relax, take a deep breath, get something to drink, and try again.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2011
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Hello.

It seems to me that the most frustrating issue you have is deck set up. Set up of your main deck can make gameplay go from fun to downright frustrating.

Keep your highest 2 rank attack cards in your deck, nothing more. If you like, use traps, however, I found it a lot more 'efficient' for me to only add blades, and nothing else. Include maximum number of healing cards with you if you need to heal yourself. *** The smaller your deck, the better your hand each round.
PS: If you find yourself discarding valuable/powerful cards each round, it is probably a good indicator that your deck is still too big.

As for dungeons, I skip those hard ones lol. I have yet to do Sunken City in Wizard City.

Also, being really frustrated and angry just bombs your general gameplay experience. Relax, take a deep breath, get something to drink, and try again.

Yes - thank you. I think my deck in too big.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2011
safyrmoon wrote:
WordsonWings

I did make an assumption and I do apologize for that. I was not making an attempt at being sarcastic, but I can see how it could be read that way.

I am sorry if my first response to you was not all that helpful. I did try.

Its okay. It just took me a little by surprise. Like I said, most people were very helpful - I think there were the two responses. It doesn't really matter to me whether one or two people "think" I could be at Level 32 and read a tutorial and not understand certain aspects of the game.

Despite being at Level 32, there are some things I haven't paid attention to: Crafting, growing plants, duels between players - as examples. I concentrate on the Quests, Training my pets, recently in redecorating my "dorm" (Don't have enough coins for a castle yet).

It was only a few levels ago that I realized that what I wore carried certain advantages. I got the clothing, wands, swords, jewelry, etc. down and use that to my advantage. I was able to use the spells I had, including shuffling through my deck to get Treasure Cards. However, I did NOT understand PIPS. I looked through everything online, and it wasn't until I asked here, read through some of your responses, and understood the concepts of the PIPS, and have since played with that in my and redid my deck. I wasn't getting the full advantage of my deck because I was using a card that used - maybe 4 PIPS - and then would have to pass on two or three rounds because all of my cards were greyed out. I didn't have enough 0 PIP cards in my deck, or the lower PIP cards (1 & 2). I had a bunch of 3 & 4s, and maybe even a few 5s in Treasure cards. It now makes sense to me why this happened.

I consider myself a smart, intelligent, computer-geek-oriented woman. I just wasn't grasping the PIPS, or how I knew how many PIPS I had at any given time. I read somewhere or saw somewhere that the Dots showed your PIPS, but I still didn't really grasp how to "play" my cards according to the that. It clicked now. I was just going out there and whipping creatures with the strongest stuff I could, and I was using the shields, traps, etc., to make the spells stronger or protect myself from damage, but I didn't have enough of those cards in my deck.

Again - thank you for the help that anyone provided for me. I will take the advice to skip over responses that I feel are negative. I do that on social networking sites so I will apply that here. I will only allow positivity into my life.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
We were all new to this game at some point and didn't always battle efficiently. If you have questions, ask. I'd rather teach a new wizard now than have them get me killed in combat later.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice