Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mistreating New Players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
Hey,everybody. A while ago,my friend asked me about this game and
she was very excited to play.After I showed her how to make her own wizard,she played the game and began to greet and talk to other people(who
were much higher than her).But just after one day,she told me that
everywhere she went,people were constantly bullying her and calling her a noob,and just teasing her.I told her to report them,but then again you can't
report someone for being rude.Eventually she had enough and decided to
never play again.I know this a very popular game,but has anyone ever wondered that if we keep teasing new players,the more no one will want to play?The more this game will become known for bullying?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
it would be nice to think that every one would read your post and stop being mean.

it won't happen

I have to ask why you didn't tell your friend about the ignore feature so she didn't have to listen to the people who were being mean?

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
citygirl411 wrote:
she was very excited to play.After I showed her how to make her own wizard,she played the game and began to greet and talk to other people(who
everywhere she went,people were constantly bullying her and calling her a noob,and just teasing her.I told her to report them,but then again you can't
never play again.I know this a very popular game,but has anyone ever wondered that if we keep teasing new players,the more no one will want to play?The more this game will become known for bullying?

You should have first recommended that she try on a different REALM, specifically one of the more Adult realms (Greyrose, Kelvin, Scarecrow). Also, until you get to a high level, W101 Socialization isn't all the best. And it's not even just Low levels that get bullied. Even high levels get bullied by idiots and lower level snobs. Sorry she left the game, but if you want to be a socialite you have to get your level up there...

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
Johnist wrote:
You should have first recommended that she try on a different REALM, specifically one of the more Adult realms (Greyrose, Kelvin, Scarecrow). Also, until you get to a high level, W101 Socialization isn't all the best. And it's not even just Low levels that get bullied. Even high levels get bullied by idiots and lower level snobs. Sorry she left the game, but if you want to be a socialite you have to get your level up there...

I agree with this. When i first started i got teased by higher lvls saying i was a noob. This didnt bother me much though. And even now when im a Legendary Pyromancer, people still call me noob (of course when your high level the resolution is always pvp). Its just something you have to put up with unfortunatly.

Defender
May 30, 2009
For new players, I highly suggest staying in a less crowded realm until you get out of the first world. WC commons (in the crowded realms especially) is the bullying hub because so many people congregate there simply to troll while they wait for PVP matches or whatever. Tell your friend that there are nice people who play this game and to ignore the trolls- For real, take full advantage of that ignore button. Pshh... I still get called a noob on my legendary wizards if I don't gift someone something or hand out treasure cards, and most of the time if I say "I know, right?" it seems to confuse them and they shut up lol.

-Jessica

Defender
Apr 30, 2010
The game isn't known for bullying, she just ran into the wrong people. True if I was on my higher leveled wizard and some new player walked up to me and started talking I might say hi but if they're in a place where they can talk to me more likely that not I'll be talking to my friends and I'll ignore them. Others don't deal with this just by ignoring the other wizard, they feel they have to go out of their way to call them a noob so they will go away and stop bothering them. I think your friend should have focused on the questing more and talking with friends she knew (like you) instead of going up to random people.
If you were at the mall or anywhere and you were talking to your friends and some random kid came up and was following you around, trying to talk to you, what would you do? You probably wouldn't accept the kid and you might be a little weirded out. That's how the higher levels react to the lower leveled wizards coming out of no where and going Hey! and then trying to continue a conversation.
I don't think new players are mistreated, they just haven't been accepted yet.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
citygirl411 wrote:
were much higher than her
).But just after one day,she told me that

this can be a big problem as most higher levels are beecheed by low level or newbies to add them then call for help in the bigining battles and not learn how to play the game or they want tp ort to highers to get fast xp.

if she play with her own level group she will enjoy game much more

Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
citygirl411 wrote:
You know she could easily have gone to filtered chat and she could not have heard anybody. Also, people are going to bully you if you are low level or just plain better than them.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
dream2dust wrote:
I still get called a noob on my legendary wizards if I don't gift someone something or hand out treasure cards, and most of the time if I say "I know, right?" it seems to confuse them and they shut up lol.

-Jessica
haha... Right on :)

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Yep I once felt like your friend once since i too was called a noob and almost driven away but still she should ignore them or like dream2dust said say " I know right?But i always wonder why for no reason they call low levels a noob besides they are low level it just doesnt make sense why they mistreat low levels

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
citygirl411 wrote:

I don't get the reasoning either, but really, is that something to write about on this forum?

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
I remember the old times about a year or to ago when i was a "noob" sure it was not the greastest thing ever till i got to about mooshu cause sorry to say krokotopia and marleybone are just the worst in my mind. but to all new players this game is fun but the real noobs are the ones calling you noob they are jelous casue you are better than them and they got no skills and when you higher in lvl could more than likley easy beat them so when some one calls you a noob tell them to add you wait till i get to your lvl and fight and see who is the noob then that what i did and i turned a lvl 50 fire who called every one a noob into a nice person when i was lvl 12. so yea dont quit if you are called one try to turn them from a noob hater into a noob helper. i help a ton of people all the time till they are about lvl 10 or 15 just to show them how to stack blades and traps. and such things. but just dont quit try to help the haters out if they dont accept it then dont bother try to find nicer people.

Jack Dragonbreath lvl 60 Pyromancer
As wise person told me "Remember we were all noobs once."

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
Wow,why did I forget all about the ignore button? And I guess it is kind of weird to walk up to random people like RedWolff said. But,I'll give better
advice the next time I see her and maybe she'll play again.For the people who didn't get my reasoning,I meant that what's the point of trying out a new game if everyone is just going to bully you to death.