Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why only death?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Ok, so this question has occured to me and all my friends a number of times. Why is death the only school that has drain spells? I know stealing is death's specialty and all, but other schools can get spells using another schools specialty. If you ask me death is more like balance than balance itself. The new dark pact allows them to boost anoyone's attack power and the plague and virulent plague allows them to decrease all enemies attack power for any school. Not to mention their 2 universal traps. Death also has a healing spell to which I strongly disagree with. Plus, they have the power to increase pip count with the empower. Like ice they can last an extremely long time if not forever and like fire, they have some very potent damage over time spells. Also, with enough pips, death can summon a better minion than even myth can and any death wizard I have ever known including my level 48 death wizard can do some pretty big damage. The only bad thing is their global spell. Who would need to decrease heals anyway? I have tried it in 1v1 but it always back fires on me. But that is easily offset by an undecreasable heal from their drains with enough damage. Me my family agree that death is the creators favorite school. Although I have had much much more fun playing my life wizard, I find death to be a bit overpowered after obtaining a high level death wizard of my own.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
You do have a point, but a lot of the spells you mentioned put a Necromancer's life in danger. I think that's the point of the school: you can recieve more power than you know what to do with, but you need to give up a piece of your life for it. As for the other spells that don't require drains, I'm not sure where they come from. I think since Balance draws its power from all the schools that's why Balance itself has its many blades and traps. Maybe it draws that ability from Death, just as it draws its healing spells from Life and its minions from Myth. I will say one thing: I have no idea where Animate came from. That seems more like a Myth spell than a Death spell.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
In tradition with other card games, death magic uses undead creatures to attack, which feed off of the life force of others. death magic also often emulates the other types of magic at the cost of damaging the caster. coming from such card games myself, death's design for this game seems natural to me. that, to me, is the answer of why death only has drains and these types of spells. -etherchaos

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Sorry, but Death is just as disadvantaged as the other schools.

Storm: Lay them with a boosted Triton and they're about done.

Fire: A nice Efreet or a boosted Helephant and they will be on the edge.

Ice: Massive defense tires out Death, Frostbites will overwhelm or Snow Angel can kill their Animates.

Balance: Judge them as usual.

Life: Forest Lord works wonders.

Myth: Boosted Medusa followed up by a Minotaur can easily end the battle.

Death: The actual interesting battle.

Death really doesn't hit that hard, and those steals don't give back the most health. Hopefully you're not another biased player.

-tiryea

Adherent
May 20, 2010
So is the complaint about Death being too powerful in PvP, or is it that Death has too easy a time in PvE?

Explorer
May 09, 2011
Well, I myself am a Necromancer, and I think Death doesn't have high damage attacks, like storms! But we have to use a good strategy, and that would keep the enemy hitting us, taking risks! And Sacrifice, you hit yourself, and get healed! (Which is why I learned Life Magic for my Death too, an easy Satyr heals me along with Sanctuary) And, Dark Pact/Empower also does some damage to you, but with a good strategy, Death Wizards can keep themselves alive. Just need a good strategy! And Like AkihiroHattori, said Death Magic does put a necromancer's life in danger! :) So, which is why, I am a Necromancer, and learned Life as my secondary school! :)

Defender
May 12, 2009
tiryea wrote:
Sorry, but Death is just as disadvantaged as the other schools.

Storm: Lay them with a boosted Triton and they're about done.

Fire: A nice Efreet or a boosted Helephant and they will be on the edge.

Ice: Massive defense tires out Death, Frostbites will overwhelm or Snow Angel can kill their Animates.

Balance: Judge them as usual.

Life: Forest Lord works wonders.

Myth: Boosted Medusa followed up by a Minotaur can easily end the battle.

Death: The actual interesting battle.

Death really doesn't hit that hard, and those steals don't give back the most health. Hopefully you're not another biased player.

-tiryea

Now you're kinda giving death a bad name. Remember we can be dangerous too, but that doesn't mean unbalanced.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Death is (atleast to me) the most complicated school out yet. Death requires a huge amount of strategy to succesfully win a battle. To me storm and myth give me the hardest times. Storm quick attacks that are powerful can destroy me and myth's earthquakes destroy my very needed blades. Death is meant for long battles. We have around 3,000 health by legendary decent defense, second highest power boost, average pip%, and the most useful amount of blades and traps. My Ice Strategy: Ice has to be worn down when you're a death wizard. High defenses will keep this battle going on for a long time so what i do is bury ice in infections for no healing, use gargantuan to power up my wraiths and poisons (rarely do I use skeletal dragon), heal with sacrifice when I'm low on health (does about 1,100 heal once I take the damage into account). Eventually the ice will be forced to start shielding a lot more and use moves without blades or without both the ice and elemental blades. This is the wall in which if you pass you already won the battle. My Storm Strategy: Storm is a danger to death so I have to constantly shield. My pattern is blade,shield,blade,shield,attack with garg and repeat. You will go low on health many times so for this battle wraith and sacrifice will be your bests friends. Eventually you're gonna end up with a storm on low health and you with maybe almost full and he will desperately insane bolt or wild bolt you. Still you live if you played your cards right and you succesfully hit and won. My Fire Strategy: Fire is perhaps an opponent I have to watch out for. You shield whenever you think your opponent is on the verge of attacking. Blade up and wraith or poison (depending if your opponent has any shields or not) and he'll quickly get low on health and from then on you can easily kill him. P.S : Watch out for efreet whenever you see it coming use sacrifice. My Death Strategy: This is the battle I finally dragon ocassionally. Put 1 infection at my opponent. Blade and shield sometimes. Eventually if you keep yourself up with sacrifice you can outsmart your opponent. My Myth Strategy: Don't even waste your time with dragon or spirit blade. Myth have earthquake ready at all times and watch out for those minions especially Talos. Have at least 1 infection on the myth at all time. Have stun resist gear on at least 1 for medusa. Shield sometimes when you think he is positively not gonna use earthquake because he's bladed up :P. Sacrifice will be coming like every 3-5 rounds. Pray you went first and maybe you won :D. My Life Strategy: Bury infections on your opponent blade up and Wraith (don't use dragon they probably just have triage to get rid of it quickly). Shield whenever you foresee a forest lord. And if you followed my strategy you shouldn't go under 1,000 health the whole battle and if you do just sacrifice. (ONLY MEANT FOR 1V1 HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL).

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Not to mention death is the only school with a cool story line (Malistaire, school being gone that stuff)

Death is an amazing school it has a lot of traits that are copies off of other schools. They also have great attack potential, all the plague kind of spells. Best minion, not to mention beguile. Also they give the give back life spells a lot of critical rating and some other sabotage spells, plus their new blade, and their sacrifice life for power kind of spells.. They seem like a really Overpowered school for sure.

But the thing is to me, I think it is they just seem overpowered. You know coming against a death you will think wow this school has some amazing spells I dont have a chance but somehow you will pull it off. So their obviously is something keeping balance..

My idea on this is that death gets rid of their pips way to fast to do any of this. If you notice all of deaths main spells will take away their pips very easily. And even if they use empower they waste a turn. I think it is why that death while it seems OP really isn't. Because to use all these amazing spells they have, they are wasting their pips and taking away their attack power so its like one or the other. And I constantly see in the Arena Death students doing this getting themselves into a healing rut and they just won't be able to attack and it makes them easy to beat.

Well those are my thoughts on it o. o

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
colagada wrote:
So is the complaint about Death being too powerful in PvP, or is it that Death has too easy a time in PvE?
It is not a "complaint" and is not about PvP nor PvE. I is something I noticed after my death wizard reached Celestia and I have been very worried about it because I disagree with death being more of balance than balance.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
TheDarkestMask wrote:
Death is (atleast to me) the most complicated school out yet. Death requires a huge amount of strategy to succesfully win a battle. To me storm and myth give me the hardest times. Storm quick attacks that are powerful can destroy me and myth's earthquakes destroy my very needed blades. Death is meant for long battles. We have around 3,000 health by legendary decent defense, second highest power boost, average pip%, and the most useful amount of blades and traps. My Ice Strategy: Ice has to be worn down when you're a death wizard. High defenses will keep this battle going on for a long time so what i do is bury ice in infections for no healing, use gargantuan to power up my wraiths and poisons (rarely do I use skeletal dragon), heal with sacrifice when I'm low on health (does about 1,100 heal once I take the damage into account). Eventually the ice will be forced to start shielding a lot more and use moves without blades or without both the ice and elemental blades. This is the wall in which if you pass you already won the battle. My Storm Strategy: Storm is a danger to death so I have to constantly shield. My pattern is blade,shield,blade,shield,attack with garg and repeat. You will go low on health many times so for this battle wraith and sacrifice will be your bests friends. Eventually you're gonna end up with a storm on low health and you with maybe almost full and he will desperately insane bolt or wild bolt you. Still you live if you played your cards right and you succesfully hit and won. My Fire Strategy: Fire is perhaps an opponent I have to watch out for. You shield whenever you think your opponent is on the verge of attacking. Blade up and wraith or poison (depending if your opponent has any shields or not) and he'll quickly get low on health and from then on you can easily kill him. P.S : Watch out for efreet whenever you see it coming use sacrifice. My Death Strategy: This is the battle I finally dragon ocassionally. Put 1 infection at my opponent. Blade and shield sometimes. Eventually if you keep yourself up with sacrifice you can outsmart your opponent. My Myth Strategy: Don't even waste your time with dragon or spirit blade. Myth have earthquake ready at all times and watch out for those minions especially Talos. Have at least 1 infection on the myth at all time. Have stun resist gear on at least 1 for medusa. Shield sometimes when you think he is positively not gonna use earthquake because he's bladed up :P. Sacrifice will be coming like every 3-5 rounds. Pray you went first and maybe you won :D. My Life Strategy: Bury infections on your opponent blade up and Wraith (don't use dragon they probably just have triage to get rid of it quickly). Shield whenever you foresee a forest lord. And if you followed my strategy you shouldn't go under 1,000 health the whole battle and if you do just sacrifice. (ONLY MEANT FOR 1V1 HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL).
No, this does not work for me and this isn't even about PvP. But I, on my life have a strategy made especially for this. For one death wizards can not stop me from healing even with doom and gloom and infection combined due to my healing gear and criticals and guiding lights. Then with life you just need to be aggressive with your attacks (Don't use forest lord unless you they use a minion). and you need to shield. Also use vengeance to increase your critical hit rating so you can take them down quickly. For me Life vs. Death is always a long battle. But usually, the one who takes the first go wins.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I think it comes down to the player...

A well played Death School wizard is probably overall the best in all situations,

but...

A poorly played Death School wizard doesn't have the ability to recover the way most other schools do.

I would say, if you have gotten to CL and find death overpowered and the game easy on your wizard it is just a statement of your great play style. :)

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
is this saying death is the best school? saying Kingsisle loves them most? as my experience of being a death wizard for a very long time, i disagree. if anything, i think death gets treated most unfairly. maybe i am just unlucky and never hit critical and never block, but, it seems like we are just outweighed when it comes to other schools. we are the WEAKEST school. ice cant say they are the weakest anymore, because of the change to collosus, so now it does either exactly as much damage as wraith or more. most likely, more. also, gargantuan doesnt work as well on death. only 150 is added to the steal spells instead of the full 225. dragon isnt even that good, especially with treasure triage going around. i have had several matches where i would blade up, use dragon, then the person uses triage and is just fine, while i am out of pips, out of blades, and with low health from letting them get damage while i go for a kill. personally, i think fire is the most overpowered school. myth second, ice a close third. balance is somewhere in there, with storm. then death, then life. for 1v1, that is. blading isnt a great thing now, because its easily blocked, and so are traps. yea, i have had that death that i faced on my level 30 fire who bladed used all traps and one hit killed me through only shield i had against him, tower. but oh well, ya know? unlucky match. point is, death is definitely not KI's favorite. we dont have the strongest spells, we have the weakest. we dont have the highest health, or resist. we dont even have the best minions. minions use to be a lot better for death, before celestia. i would save pips and use minion, because i knew what the minion would do, and i liked it. now its not good anymore. or as good. plus, a big waste of pips. death isnt the OP school, and definitely doesnt need less given to it because of this post.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2011
the cons of playing death are they dont hit hard and when they do hit "kind of" hard it takes them more time to do it because they "need" the buffs, blades and shields where most other schools need a blade maybe 2. most schools at high level get a shock and awe spell like leviathan where a death wizard gets a shock and awwwww dragon especially in PVP for who gets hit by the bone dragon has a triage or a good heal over time spell its just a waste where the rest of the damage spells for other schools the damage is done and guaranteed the bone dragon would not be so bad if it had a perk like the other high level spells like being an AOE or have a stun or steal life over time like the fire spell link. if I want to break shields I will save pips and just use poison and hit later. but when you got school that can 1 hit kill bosses on water works there is unarguably imbalance in PVP. I dont mean to make it sound like its useless it does have some uses depending on what boss you are fighting or who you have on your team.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Look, I think everyone is right but here are my ups and downs of death.

can use beguile in pvp and in anything not as great in 1v1 though but it does waste pips, can heal as well attack but not so storng, just fairly strong. Feint does do loft of awesome stuff but it does weaken you because it puts a trap on you. Lot of spells attack self, empower not that good because it is already a pip to use. Infection is good in pvp. If you want to be good St death, you need to know how to use it, when. First played only death and hea was a high lvl, I was really bad so I thought death soaked, but then I learned how to use it and amm a knight now. Every school has something good or bad, and death wizards out there, here's a tip, collect from life and get a spritely pet and get life mastery, it will be very hars to beat you cause you will keep on healing and converting.

P.S. I specialize in death

Gorman Deathfist - legendary necromancer

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
Not to mention death is the only school with a cool story line (Malistaire, school being gone that stuff)

Death is an amazing school it has a lot of traits that are copies off of other schools. They also have great attack potential, all the plague kind of spells. Best minion, not to mention beguile. Also they give the give back life spells a lot of critical rating and some other sabotage spells, plus their new blade, and their sacrifice life for power kind of spells.. They seem like a really Overpowered school for sure.

But the thing is to me, I think it is they just seem overpowered. You know coming against a death you will think wow this school has some amazing spells I dont have a chance but somehow you will pull it off. So their obviously is something keeping balance..

My idea on this is that death gets rid of their pips way to fast to do any of this. If you notice all of deaths main spells will take away their pips very easily. And even if they use empower they waste a turn. I think it is why that death while it seems OP really isn't. Because to use all these amazing spells they have, they are wasting their pips and taking away their attack power so its like one or the other. And I constantly see in the Arena Death students doing this getting themselves into a healing rut and they just won't be able to attack and it makes them easy to beat.

If you havent realized, they have AMAZING power pip percentage

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
That is what ticked me off ever since I started Myth for the first time.

Death can summon a minion more powerful than Myth. Not sure how Talos would stack up now against Death's strongest minion, but that was simply rediculous in the utmost sense of the word.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
MAGFIRE wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Good for them but if they constantly casting spells that get rid of them My point is still very valid. Just helps getting powerpips doesnt mean you get more per turn lol.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Death can summon a minion more powerful than Myth. Not sure how Talos would stack up now against Death's strongest minion, but that was simply rediculous in the utmost sense of the word.
Yea, I know. Myth should had got the 1-14 pip minion, not death.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:

I'm with ya on that one. Just seemed out of place. You would think Myth would have gotten a "X" spell like that before Death, right?

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
MAGFIRE wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Good for them but if they constantly casting spells that get rid of them My point is still very valid. Just helps getting powerpips doesnt mean you get more per turn lol.
You really think? Death doesnt use as many pips as you say. Whya are you saying their "main spells" use more pips than the others? Cause feint and dark pact take a pip? It all depends on how the person plays, and mind you, I have met some death wizards that can do a lot of damage.