Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Players age shifting?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 23, 2009
Hello, I would like to give credit to LaadyX for a simular topic.

I have noticed that it seems like less kids are palying to the game. LOTS of adults play this game. I have to say probably half of the players are adults. So my point is that it unbalances the game. Adults often know more thing then kids. ( I dont mean everyone. ) So then the adults are saying things kids should not be exposed to. Like I have seen many people swear by using word that look at sound like the word. I am not saying this is everyone. I respect parents who play the game with their kids.

As a kid I just think that the game is more shifted to kids. As more adults start playing before you know it, the game is gonna be a whole lot diffrent.

Hunter SpiritGem
Grandmaster Ice

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I understand where you are coming from but there is a reason for chat filters, if someone has open chat they should know that they are probably going to be subjected to that kind of stuff. I think if people are gonna use bad language do it in private chat with people you know aren't offended by it, and thats if you use that language at all.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Hello Steelerfan,

Yes I agree with you that there are more adults playing these days - me included.
However I dont feel this unbalanes the game or causes any negative impact.
I find that the majority of the bad language comes from players under 18.
I just cant picture many 30 year olds running around calling everyone a 'stew pet noob', or 'can you gift me something??'. Usually people around and above this age have different priorities.

Im very thankful for the increase in adult players, as its refreshing to see a higher level of maturity, while co-operating with others. Also, many of the new features, worlds, and updates are made possible because of adults purchasing monthly memberships as well as crowns.

There may be some bad apples in the bunch, but I have found most adults to be very laid back and friendly. I have many young wizards on my friends list and enjoy helping them with their quests when they need it :-)

We may all be different ages, but everyone has one thing in common - we all love the game. I appologize if you had a bad experience with an older player. No one, no matter what age, should have to see vile chat in this awesome wizardly world :-D

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
......are us adults so bad.....vs PARENTS!.....I wanted to point that out....It sounds as you mean Parents are ok but adults are not.

I dont know about you but i have been playing games for almost 23 years now and I wont stop....If KI were to Restrict it to Kids Only they would loose money. Being a Crown Buying I think I would know I wouldnt buy more.

Also it is said you should respect your elders...You may learn something in the game you didnt know....I know as a kid i didnt realize lots of things in games till an 'adult' said 'you missed that', 'you should go there', and other things but yeah.

If someone said I couldnt play a game anymore i would want to ............. ......... Ya know what i saying XD lol..... But yeah....My generation grew up during the boom. There were few adults that played games at the time since....there wasnt as much in the way of video games.... Atari was about it. Now my Generation is grown up....Does that mean i cant have fun?.....

If you have met a few bad adults........well.....not all of us are all bad XD though yes Strangers just the same XD.... W101 is Rated E for Everyone.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
Hello Steelerfan,

Yes I agree with you that there are more adults playing these days - me included.
However I dont feel this unbalanes the game or causes any negative impact.
I'd like to point out that the majority of the bad language indeed comes from players under 18. Somehow, I just cant picture many 30 year olds running around calling everyone a 'stew pet noob', or 'can you gift me something??'. Usually people around and above this age have different priorities.

Im very thankful for the increase in adult players, as its refreshing to see a higher standard in maturity levels. Also, many of the new features, worlds, and updates are made possible because of adults purchasing monthly memberships as well as crowns.

There may be some bad apples in the bunch, but I have found most adults to be very laid back and friendly. I have many young wizards on my friends list and enjoy helping them with their quests when they need it :-)

We may all be different ages, but everyone has one thing in common - we all love the game. I appologize if you had a bad experience with an older player. No one, no matter what age, should have to see vile chat in this awesome wizardly world :-D

I enlarged that to make a comment on it... I normally will speak more in such terms not that one when i am with non open players Like the number thing. I find it to be polite to speak around them in such ways meaning ot friends of course. But yeah..... I dont have much use for navigating around the chat filter at least after the rant the day they took it away from me and other 'Crown Users'. But yeah I do agree and basically said so in another message i put here

Explorer
May 23, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from but there is a reason for chat filters, if someone has open chat they should know that they are probably going to be subjected to that kind of stuff. I think if people are gonna use bad language do it in private chat with people you know aren't offended by it, and thats if you use that language at all.

Well people use ways to get around the filtered chat. I agree that people should not be blurting it out loud.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
BLSKis1 wrote:
......are us adults so bad.....vs PARENTS!.....I wanted to point that out....It sounds as you mean Parents are ok but adults are not.

I dont know about you but i have been playing games for almost 23 years now and I wont stop....If KI were to Restrict it to Kids Only they would loose money. Being a Crown Buying I think I would know I wouldnt buy more.

Also it is said you should respect your elders...You may learn something in the game you didnt know....I know as a kid i didnt realize lots of things in games till an 'adult' said 'you missed that', 'you should go there', and other things but yeah.

If someone said I couldnt play a game anymore i would want to ............. ......... Ya know what i saying XD lol..... But yeah....My generation grew up during the boom. There were few adults that played games at the time since....there wasnt as much in the way of video games.... Atari was about it. Now my Generation is grown up....Does that mean i cant have fun?.....

If you have met a few bad adults........well.....not all of us are all bad XD though yes Strangers just the same XD.... W101 is Rated E for Everyone.

Well, what I am reying to say is that the more adults play, the more bad apples. I am sorry if I made you upset. I also I am not trying to sound like a know it all when I say this but rated E means that everyone can play it. It has nothing to do with if your a certain age.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I hate to tell you but the people you see swearing by making the letters different are usually kids that have control over the account.. I have many little kid friends and their parents allow them to have open chat.. I'm not saying adults don't do this- but when I see people cursing and being like that it is usually teens.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
BLSKis1 wrote:

(snip)

(snip)

LOL, I'm a parent AND an adult...

I think the OP was questioning why adults other than parents would play Wizard 101, since it's a family game.

Yes, children should respect their elders, but adults should also offer equal respect for children. I don't see much of that in these forums, in posts made by adult players. I seem to see a lot of "kids are terrible", "kids in the game annoy me", "kids cause all of the problems in-game". None of those comments are respectful to the INTENDED AUDIENCE for this game, now are they? Respect is a two-way interaction.

Frankly, I am deeply offended when I read a post that is derogatory about children in the game. As a parent, I realize that children can be challenging, and as an adult I see that it is my responsibility to choose how to handle conflicts that arise. As adults in this game, it becomes responsibility of all of us to maintain a safe and civil play environment for everyone. Yes, there are some bad adults and many good ones, and the same goes for the children who travel the Great Spiral. Pick friend wisely, just like IRL.

The point still remains this: Adults who play Wizard 101 should be aware that they will encounter many children in the game, and should simply accept that it will always be that way. Be a good model, lend a hand, have some fun, and adapt to the playground in which you find yourself.

Regards,

qbb