Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Damage to Self and Criticals

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 20, 2009
Hi KI and everyone else reading this. first of all, I want you to know that I am NOT ranting/complaining. I am simply asking for the KI admin to look into fixing some issues. With death spells that involve damaging the caster in order for an effect to work (ie- Empower, Sacrifice, Dark Pact) only one should have the ability to crit the caster. The critical ability has already been removed from Empower, which is much appreciated. However, last night, I used Sacrifice to heal myself. Luckily for me, I had equipped a Death Shield because the Sacrifice damage was Critical! At first, I was angry. However, after hurting myself, I saw that the heal was Critical as well. So, this Critical ability should remain as is. With Dark Pact, though, a Critical hit in exchange for only a +30% blade is not worth it since there is a chance you would have only been hit for half and still received the same bonus. I think that KI should either A) Remove Crit from Dark Pact or B) When Dark Pact hit is a crit, make the blade a crit as well (instead of +30% it should be twice that, or +60%)

~Valerian DarkBringer: Legendary Necromancer

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
those spells that injure the caste make for better trading in the bazaar.

after the few times i killed my self i now sell them to bazaar fopr gold

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, personally, since Insane bolt is a moon spell, I think Dark Pact, since it is given to death and death does have such a high damage modifier, should also be a moon spell... It should not use death blades and death attack damage while being cast... This would be fair...

Now, I also agree with you, if you do have a chance at critical, it should also have a critical effect... Like sacrifice, if you critical, you critical heal...

So, if you critical a Dark Pact, then you should either get 2 blades, or a 60% blade... That, or remove critical on self aspect...

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Armiger
May 10, 2010
wiler5002 wrote:
What about immolate though? Does it critical both?

Yes it does, but some spells, you want to critical, even if it is on self... Like Sacrifice and Immolate...

Just because you do double damage to yourself, with Sacrifice, you double the heal. With Immolate, you do double damage to yourself, but you also do double damage to the enemy...

When it has a double positive from it, then it is ok, when it does not, then it needs to be no critical to self...

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
wiler5002 wrote:
What about immolate though? Does it critical both?

Yes it does, the 250 damage is converted to 500, and it chains to the 600 base damage of immolate. That makes immolate do 1200. Awesome right!

Explorer
Aug 20, 2009
Exactly. Glad to see other ppl think the same way I do. Any spell where if the self-damage is critical, something ELSE that makes up for it is critical also, should stay as being able to crit the caster. But seriously, they gotta do something about Dark Pact...

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
How about the fact that you can boost the damage of sacrifice with sun boost, but, not improve the heal at the same time?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
They did that with empower but no other spells so that is kind of funny. But you know people should know they are taking the chance with those spells i think dark pact should be moon damage though because it takes your blades if you have death blades up.