Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ice in pvp

AuthorMessage
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
What, you forgot their massive universal resist? LOL.

I have to disagree with you, though, about their other stats. As a Balance wizard, even I have better stats than the ones you listed... and I'm in WW gear, from 20 levels ago. My incoming heal-boost is 50%, almost triple that of any Ice wizard, plus my 99% power-pip chance and 170 crit block.

Health and resistance are about all your average thaumaturge has, though it depends on whether the person you're facing has built an offensive or defensive character~ if you build damage, your defensive stats (healing, power pips, etc) will suffer, and vice versa.

I don't PvP... but, to quote one of my favourite posters, "would you like some cheese with that whine?" It's just like in PvE... if you don't know how to strategize, or tailor your strategy to suit the opponent, you /will/ fail.

Agreed!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
My Archmage Ice is not theoretical. These are my current stats:

Health = 5352
Damage = 42% Death = 23%
Resist = 61% Fire, 57% Storm, 28% all others
Accuracy = 101% Death = 102%
Critical = 137
Crit Block = 132 universal
Power Pip = 90%
Healing In = 34%

My pet Wyvern has helped my stats with Power Pip, Damage, Spritely & Health

I kept my second school, Death, so I displayed the pertinent stats for it.

I generally keep 2-3 sets of gear in my backpack to switch out if I want. If I do switch, it changes my stats substantially, depending on whether I want to boost my defense or offense.

Gear currently being used:

Hat = Horned Helmet L76 (crafted)
Robe = Woodland Tribal Coat L74 (crafted)
Boots = Forest Hearth Boots L76 (crafted)
Wand = Sidhe Staff
Athame = Olyphant's Storied Scimtar
Amulet = Armigers Amulet of Aiming ( I do have a Death Amulet, if I need it)
Ring = Crystal Cave Rose

I am still farming for some of the Ice gear I have not received yet for the Athame and Ring. When I get these and I decide to include them, then my stats will change, hopefully for the better.

I chose to go for offense as well as defense. My offense still isn't that great compared to other schools, but for Ice, it's pretty decent. Sure, I could go for more resistance, however, my Health, Damage, Power Pip, Healing, and Critical Block will suffer.

Would I be deadly in PvP? I don't know, as my Ice has never played PvP. I am deadly in PvE, making short work of the mobs and bosses, and I am frequently called upon by my friends to help with bosses, Waterworks, etc.

People keep complaining about Ice's high resistance. So what? Ice is a defensive school. It's built like a tank. It's what we're good at. But, once again, if Ice has super high resistance, then OTHER STATS WILL SUFFER, especially offense capabilities.

Besides, any other school can also have high and super high resistance. It can be purchased in the Bazaar, some drops, and crafted gear for all schools. It's not just at the higher levels, I have seen gear for excellent resistance for mid-level players as well.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
This is what I believe is the best gear for Ice:
Horned Helmet
Shivering Breath Robes
Frostbit Boots
Mandolin of Evermore (Level 80 version)
Polar Cat (Giving Spell-Proof 10%, Spell-Defying 5%, Spritely, Pip-O-Plenty)
Life Mastery Amulet
Spells trained: Infection, Life up to Satyr, whatever Ice wants from then.
Lexicon Blade
Elissa's Chill Band.

If you calculate all of those stats for Ice, you'll get about these stats:
4855 Health
34% damage
129 critical
49% resist all schools, 81% Fire resist, 77% Storm resist.
199 Ice block, and 145 block all schools
44% heal boost
68% PPC (Power Pip Chance)

Ice does get really good stats, and 20% of that Ice wizard's health would be 1001, plus the 44% heal boost would be 1441, which would be an amazing heal with the 49%/81%/77% resist, but still, this does not mean that Ice is overpowered. It is true, that Ice has insane defensive and offensive stats, but think about the stats compared to other schools. The damage boost is certainly lower, the critical is higher then some, the resist is by far the best, the block rating could improve, but isn't the highest, the heal boost is actually a low percentage, and the power pip chance is by far the lowest. With Ice's power pip chance at a really low standard, their attacks will actually be slower, unless, of course, the Ice wizard would be lucky and just get a happy-power-pip-day. It's true that Ice can critical without you blocking, which is just plain crazy, because Ice should actually have the lowest critical, not nearly the highest or sometimes actually higher then the other schools.

But, if you were to really think about it, imagine if all the other schools were like that, imagine how overpowered we'd be also. A team of 4 Ice wizards would be insanely hard to defeat, but really, the only thing that really makes Ice so powerful is its health and resist. With Mana Burn, I often cause Ice wizards to struggle when trying to attack me, as well as using Life dispels on them. If only other schools had a spell to mess with others pips, then it would make Ice's stats seem normal and make so much more sense! Well, since there isn't that right now, I'll just explain clearly what makes Ice a normal school to fight:
You will get overthrown or thrown off by Ice's resist, it really does make a difference into how they pvp, but with their low damage boost, Ice is almost forced to stack up blades most of the time. Now, if you had an Infallible up, and enchanted a spell, and also put a convert, and you were Fire or Storm, Ice's resist would pretty much be nothing (I did it It still does take a challenge to keep those on, because Ice wizards tend to remove the traps from themselves sometimes), but many of the Ice warlords I face have the Wand of the Evermore on, as well as a Life Mastery Amulet, making the battle several hours longer, (Which has gotten to annoy me, but taught me how to last longet) yeah, but really, all you really have to do is just keep going and going and never stop, no matter how long the match is. Try to keep your health high, because Ice cannot keep up with Satyrs, especially if you have around 50% heal boost, it really makes them struggle, Ice does make fights longer, but is also a whole lot easier then other people make it seem to be. Just go with the flow, stick to your plan, and victory is... almost assured.

High health=Slow Attacks
High resist=Low damage

It's all the basic attacks, just remember those, because Ice is a school that is fun to fight, but can take a while to attack, so take your chances to defend! Keep your pips high! Because soon enough Ice won't seem like the overpowered school it seems to be.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
This is just based on your stats. "Overpowered" should consist of all the stats AND the spells together. With your ice wizard's stats, look at his/her spells.
In a way, all schools could be called overpowered. Storm, with their impossible damage, Ice with their health/resist, and etc. All schools have something that makes them special.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Survivor
May 11, 2010
Survivor
May 11, 2010
I dont see how KI is going to keep this up. if ice resistance gets any higher,

they WILL be immortal.

Defender
May 15, 2010
leporter wrote:
This is just based on your stats. "Overpowered" should consist of all the stats AND the spells together. With your ice wizard's stats, look at his/her spells.
In a way, all schools could be called overpowered. Storm, with their impossible damage, Ice with their health/resist, and etc. All schools have something that makes them special.
Ice: they can literally get 60 universal resistance while resisting 100 against fire and storm. Gotta agree: that's overpowered.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Hades2020 wrote:
40% resistance is about as high as it gets at level 80.

A level 5 can get 55% resist. What are you talking about?
An ice can hit 60%+ universal resist easily.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
I am starting to feel really bad for storms in pvp. Everyone believes there over powered but in reality they are on the weaker side. They don't have anything to great around shields,they have low health, and they have poor pip chance.

Really to win against a storm you just blade twice and shield until you decide to attack.

For example I am death so what I would do is first turn shield. Second turn blade, third turn infallible and fourth turn dragon. Then I follow up with some poison and infection. They won't survive against that much damage.

Grant it they have high damage they can be taken out fast which makes them weak. If you let one live then, yes you will be in trouble.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
pocketgod1 wrote:
Storm is way way WAY too overpowered anyway. You really cant complain when you have a spell that can one-hit anybody in the arena with just a couple blades (Sirens). Although Ice may have a slight advantage over you guys, you storm people can easily defeat anybody else out there with your overpowered spells.

Overpowered? Good one! Haha! Storm if anything, is the WEAKEST school for pvp currently! They require the most strategy-developement and what-not.
Look at it this way: A storm deals less damage to an ice than ice deals to it. How you ask? (I am going to do these assuming no blades or anything)
A storm casts a 1000 wildbolt on an ice with 80% resist. (The average storm resist these days)
80% Power: 1800 Damage, 80% resist, leaves it at 360. That is the average.
100% Power. 2000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 400.
200% Power. 3000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 600.
300% Power. 4000 damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 800.
400% Power. 5000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 1000.
Finally at 400% power, it is achievable. The current highest a storm has ever hit in boost is 112%. So not even 500 damage.
Suppose the storm has 40% Ice resist. They have universal 38% usually from what I have seen. The ice uses a 900 damage woolly mammoth. RAW. (that means no boosts)
40% Boost. 1260 damage. 40% resist, 756 damage. Not even 50% boost.
Lets suppose, they hit 1000.
40% Boost. 1400 damage. 40% resist, 840 damage. Thats just. Unrealistic.

Lets compare buffs now:
Blades:
35% storm. 40% ice.
Globes:
25% storm. 35% ice.
Not the same. They overpower them. Not to mention that ices stack blades.
They usually use: 35% Elemental. 40% iceblade. Treasure iceblade 45%. 35% globe. Thats not including pet and item blades.
Damage: (900 woolly again)
40% boost. 1260 damage. 40% blade. 1764. 35% elemental. 2381.4. 45% blade. 3453.03. 35% globe. 4661.5905. Rounded to 4662. 40% resist. Rounded 2797. Just about average of the storm's health.
Now storm.
35% Elemental. 30% Blade. Treasure 35% stromblade. 25% globe. The equivalent.
Damage: 1000 wildbolt.
80% Boost. 1800 damage. 30% blade. 2340. 35% elemental blade. 3159 damage. 35% treasure blade. 4264.65 damage. 25% Globe. 5330 rounded. 80% resist. (Here is the stunning part) 1066. Barely above what it should do. I do not see the fairness in this. Ice deals over twice the damage of a storm with an attack that does less AND stuns???

Someone tell me how this is remotely fair. Do not say convert or treasures. Ice doesn't has to use any to have a chance at defeating storm, but they need to use a few extra treasures to get a somewhat decent hit.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:
pocketgod1 wrote:
Storm is way way WAY too overpowered anyway. You really cant complain when you have a spell that can one-hit anybody in the arena with just a couple blades (Sirens). Although Ice may have a slight advantage over you guys, you storm people can easily defeat anybody else out there with your overpowered spells.

Overpowered? Good one! Haha! Storm if anything, is the WEAKEST school for pvp currently! They require the most strategy-developement and what-not.
Look at it this way: A storm deals less damage to an ice than ice deals to it. How you ask? (I am going to do these assuming no blades or anything)
A storm casts a 1000 wildbolt on an ice with 80% resist. (The average storm resist these days)
80% Power: 1800 Damage, 80% resist, leaves it at 360. That is the average.
100% Power. 2000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 400.
200% Power. 3000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 600.
300% Power. 4000 damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 800.
400% Power. 5000 Damage. 80% resist, leaves it at 1000.
Finally at 400% power, it is achievable. The current highest a storm has ever hit in boost is 112%. So not even 500 damage.
Suppose the storm has 40% Ice resist. They have universal 38% usually from what I have seen. The ice uses a 900 damage woolly mammoth. RAW. (that means no boosts)
40% Boost. 1260 damage. 40% resist, 756 damage. Not even 50% boost.
Lets suppose, they hit 1000.
40% Boost. 1400 damage. 40% resist, 840 damage. Thats just. Unrealistic.

Lets compare buffs now:
Blades:
35% storm. 40% ice.
Globes:
25% storm. 35% ice.
Not the same. They overpower them. Not to mention that ices stack blades.
They usually use: 35% Elemental. 40% iceblade. Treasure iceblade 45%. 35% globe. Thats not including pet and item blades.
Damage: (900 woolly again)
40% boost. 1260 damage. 40% blade. 1764. 35% elemental. 2381.4. 45% blade. 3453.03. 35% globe. 4661.5905. Rounded to 4662. 40% resist. Rounded 2797. Just about average of the storm's health.
Now storm.
35% Elemental. 30% Blade. Treasure 35% stromblade. 25% globe. The equivalent.
Damage: 1000 wildbolt.
80% Boost. 1800 damage. 30% blade. 2340. 35% elemental blade. 3159 damage. 35% treasure blade. 4264.65 damage. 25% Globe. 5330 rounded. 80% resist. (Here is the stunning part) 1066. Barely above what it should do. I do not see the fairness in this. Ice deals over twice the damage of a storm with an attack that does less AND stuns???

Someone tell me how this is remotely fair. Do not say convert or treasures. Ice doesn't has to use any to have a chance at defeating storm, but they need to use a few extra treasures to get a somewhat decent hit.

This is just assuming they face an ice. Also I don't know if the averages are correct for ice resistance. I mean it can easily pass 60 percent saying they use Avalon gear.

Storm just suffers a lot in pvp. I find the best storms are the ones that spam low lvl spells with infallible on.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
~Sorry to any ice wizards out there!~
Ahem ok i think that ice has the most advantage out of any school. They have crazy health, i've seen them with 5,000! i only got around 3,900 or 4,000 (Lvl 72 life wizzy c:) also they have like 40 or 50 resist most of the time. And i know ice was supposed to be one of the weakest schools, cause i read it when finding a school for my character. But if that was the plan OH IT BACKFIRED MAN!! xD They are also now very powerful O: they stun, taunt, have crazy health, crazy resist, critical allot, very powerful at high levels. SOWWY i know i shouldnt complain D: but i think you should have made it differently about ice :c (also evidence that ice is to powerful is most warlords are ice O_O)
~Heather sparkle eyes (life wizzy lvl 72)
~ Heather Bear (death wizzy lvl 3)
~Wolf rain flame (fire wizzy lvl 65)
(Ya ik theres a guys name i share my account wiff my brother)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
DYLANBERGESON wrote:
Ahem ok i think that ice has the most advantage out of any school. They have crazy health, i've seen them with 5,000! i only got around 3,900 or 4,000 (Lvl 72 life wizzy c:) also they have like 40 or 50 resist most of the time. And i know ice was supposed to be one of the weakest schools, cause i read it when finding a school for my character. But if that was the plan OH IT BACKFIRED MAN!! xD They are also now very powerful O: they stun, taunt, have crazy health, crazy resist, critical allot, very powerful at high levels. SOWWY i know i shouldnt complain D: but i think you should have made it differently about ice :c (also evidence that ice is to powerful is most warlords are ice O_O)

This has been posted so many times I have lost count.
Ice is a TANK, it is supposed to have high health.
Ice is not weak nor overpowered. I've seen both complaints.
Ice, however, can be beaten in PvP if you know how.

So asking KI to change anything about a school's spells, be it Ice, Death or any other, just for PvP is getting really, really old.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2012
i am an ice wizard and what you said is kind of true cause i beat a lvl 24 storm wizard in pvp despite me losing 8 matches. :(

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
RavenLady777 wrote:
DYLANBERGESON wrote:

This has been posted so many times I have lost count.
Ice is a TANK, it is supposed to have high health.
Ice is not weak nor overpowered. I've seen both complaints.
Ice, however, can be beaten in PvP if you know how.

So asking KI to change anything about a school's spells, be it Ice, Death or any other, just for PvP is getting really, really old.

Of course it's becoming old though ice definitely has a huge advantage in pvp right now. So people will keep stating it until something changes, not sure what but whatever.

What have you heard about death being op?? It's not even close to op lol.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
Yah before i wrote this i never saw the other posts about ice being unfair o.o..................... Sorry lol XD

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
Also agree, good evaluation.

jameson143 wrote:
leporter wrote:
Ice: they can literally get 60 universal resistance while resisting 100 against fire and storm. Gotta agree: that's overpowered.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2011
I agree ice is to overpowered almost all warlords are ice whether you like it or not ice has most life most resist and spam towers i know a ice team thats all 4 ices and they never get beaten its like impossible they spam shields there resist is so high and when your finally about to kill they heal and you gotta start all over again ice has best stats 50 attack boost is not bad and they got a +40 blade and there attacks arent even weak the only people who ont agree with this topic are probably ice

Survivor
Jul 22, 2011
I dont really like complaining but i am sick of fighting ice in 3v3 and 4v4 and getting beaten easily ice is to overpowered the spam shields they got like 40 resist 4000 or 5000 health and there attacks arent even that weak every warlord i see is ice almost everyone. and i know my friend is in a 4v4 team with all ice they have never been beaten they spam shields and have so much life and resist whether you like it or not ice is the strongest school now and compare ice to storm storm always has like 2000 health and cool storm has 80 damage wow big whoop storm has low resist low life they get killed easily and low accuracy not only that weak blade its so unfair what ice has we all might as well be ice cause the other schools are nothing compared to ice. it stinks that if you get paired of with a full ice team you got no chance and i mean yu got no chance its impossible and i'm not kidding if one of you dont agree try fighting a 4v4 ice team you have no chance unless your all ice too. well all i have to say is ice is the strongest and even if you have skill you still wont stand a chance against a 4v4 ice team

Survivor
May 06, 2011
I really hate it when you have to go against a ice who spams shields and has 4500 and 55 global resist and spam heals its impossible to beat ice if your storm and everyone knows ice is overpowered if you fight all ice archmage in 4v4 theres no hope you wont win i can guarantee you that ice is the strongest school right now no school stands a chance against a 4v4 ice team like really i expected all the schools to be good in there own way but not for one school to be overpowered and the rest weak i hate that ice can have so much resist and so much life and still be able to hit over a thousand and do lots of damage its like so unfair we need to do something about this lets all work together to get this fixed anyone have some ideas to get kingsisle to fix this?

Survivor
May 06, 2011
i agree ice is becoming to powerful no school has a chance going against for ice wizards in pvp and everyone saying ice is not the strongest are just people trying to defend there selfs cause there ice the fact is ice is the best school no one can beat a 4v4 ice team that spams shields and heal and even if you shield they will just angel and even without there shields it takes a lot to kill them. and for storm if you critical once storm goes bye bye ice is the best school right now -_-

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Well, unless it was a team of 4 Death wizards... Then yeah, or even a team with 1 Death spammer, 1 Myth, 1 Life, and 1 Death all-around, then they would win. Other then that, I don't know lol. I don't really do 4v4 that much anymore, I moved back to 1v1

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
life can beat ice its not easy and it takes time but life can do it in fact i my self as a life wizard don't have any problems what so ever beating ice
while i know ices one weakness i refuse to share it with the rest of the world who has yet to discover it only because it is life's weakness as well yes ice and life share the same weakness weird isn't it aside from D&G and life dispel and infection there's one more thing your not thinking of the one weakness life and ice have in common see if you can figure it out