Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spammers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 07, 2010
The most annoying thing about playing a game is that there is no rules against spammers. I understand that everything involves consenting and every player agrees to do or give whatever is done or given, but when a player agrees to gift something or do something in return for something another player is willing to do, then its wrong for them to bail out after the other person fulfills their end of the deal. I refused to hatch with a player when i had a shadow phoenix aqnd he had an ice wyvern pet. He then said he would gift me a mega snack pack if i did, and foolishly, i agreed. Granted that i shouldn't have believed him, but none the less, i agreed, we hatched and the moment he did, he removed me and logged off, and I believe he put me on ignore. There is nothing I can do about this because there are no rules against spammers, and if I reported it, it is more likely that I would get banned. I feel like there should be a rule against spamming like that, because now, not only am I out almost 40,000 gold, but I also feel hurt and taken advantage of, and completely helpless, and angry that now that rotten person who did that to me gets to run around and continue to spam others just like he did me, and get off scott free. I just think this should be an illegal practice, not in my interest, but because this is a kids game, and there are plenty of kids out there who are gullible and naive, and its not fair to them to be subject to spammers like I have been.

Administrator
Spamming and scamming are two very different things, young Wizard. Spamming would be when someone yells the same thing over and over and over, filling the chat window with their spam.
Scamming is when someone promises you something, and doesn't deliver their end of the bargain.

Be sensible young Wizards, and ask yourselves if this person is really going to give you an item worth real money just for a few free Treasure Cards or a pet hatch opportunity - the answer is, no, they're not. They're going to take your generosity and disappear. It's not a very nice thing to do, but all trades and hatches must be agreed upon by both parties. If the transaction sounds too good to be true, it probably is, so don't accept it.

Please remember, reporting someone for 'scamming' you out of Treasure Cards or a hatch is not valid, since you both had to agree to the transaction. Caveat emptor is a very powerful lesson to learn, young Wizards. Buyer (or in this case - hatcher) Beware.

community@wizard101.com
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Elizina wrote:
He then said he would gift me a mega snack pack if i did, and foolishly, i agreed. Granted that i shouldn't have believed him, but none the less, i agreed, we hatched and the moment he did, he removed me and logged off

Buyer beware.

such actions are the reason that in real life you enter into written agreements with people that stand up in court and don't just shake hands on a business deal.

On W101, if you don't know the person, don't make the deal.

however, I do have to ask, since you also get something out of a hatch when you participate in one what did you get?

And, since it's not that hard in the game to get back the gold that you spent on the hatch, exactly what was it you lost?

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
you know i really hate what happened to you. It frustrates you. But honestly why would you spend money on a pet that you really dont want back or in exchange.

There is a general rule of thumb in hatching: It should be mutual beneficial, but you can only make this true when you are in control. So do nothing like help others with their quests or hatch or even trade if you can not control the exchange.

You had to suspect even fear alittle that this guy could possibly do back on that. Everyone would have. But you took the chance and you now you are angry because your gamble did not pay off. Really? It may be too late for this time but next time know this anyone not looking for a straight up hatch is there panhandling or scamming. Otherwise you ask, they look say yes or no and you hatch or move on. Simple as that. You may run into someone who does not have the money or even claims to have just hatched, if you want their pet friend them and call later too see if the moon is aligned. Never gift anyone anything to hatch. there are over a million players one will hatch for free,

that said, this was so sad that I had to say something because i see it all the time and i know KI will not do anything because the answer would be to end gifting, but it is a cool option when used for the purpose it was created for.

Still, the bottom line is this; KI is right if it sounds to good, it is. As a NYer I am shocked that this isnt a lesson you all know. But as a mom I would seriously take this into account and watch your kids interaction.

I swear my son buys t cards and gives them away to every kid pretending to help him. But i am rambling.....lol

Take care folks! Watch out the spiral is full unsavory characters and not all of them are MOBs and Bosses. Dont worry be aware.